Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:rip: Bayh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/789582122243743744

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Lol at Dan Coats being called thoughtful or effective

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

i don't think this story is really going to be very bad for bayh. didn't hurt dan coats, hasn't hurt the huge number of federal politicians who barely live in their state.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Well, if it had to happen to a Democrat, at least it happened to the most garbage of Democrats.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't think this story is really going to be very bad for bayh. didn't hurt dan coats, hasn't hurt the huge number of federal politicians who barely live in their state.

Doesn't help and a rings a few bells about carpet bagging and regional loyalty, plus it plays into his overall image as a corporate gently caress boy.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Brother Friendship posted:

Doesn't help and a rings a few bells about carpet bagging and regional loyalty, plus it plays into his overall image as a corporate gently caress boy.

yeah but no one actually cares about this poo poo, the bayh name is all the insulation he needs from an accusation of being Insufficiently Indiana

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
This seems like a super boring scandal, but I don't know how much Indianans care about this.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nobody gives a poo poo what the Star thinks nor do we care if Evan Bayh has been on a world tour since he left office, this will be down to partisans + name recognition which is a fight Bayh is likely to win.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

Well, if it had to happen to a Democrat, at least it happened to the most garbage of Democrats.

that's not rahm emmanuel tho???

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Young has been a stuffed suit moron voting straight ticket with no thoughts or opinions of his own, and for the Star to come out against Pence but support Young is ridiculously stupid

Everybody I've spoken to doesn't care where he's lived because nobody expects Senators to spend 90% of their time at home anyway, it's a weird angle and weirder that it's the tipping point for the Star.

It'll all be down to partisan lines. If Gregg wins then so does Bayh is my prediction

Lycus posted:

This seems like a super boring scandal, but I don't know how much Indianans care about this.

We don't, but a shitload of outside money has come in to support Young and this seems to be something that they feel will break Bayh. There's ads for it and "Bayh voted for Obamacare..." and whatever but they seem to be pushing this more since polling shows that people don't like Obamacare but they dislike how it was before even more so it's a tough wedge.

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Oct 22, 2016

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ssnich/status/789868963530285056

People say the republicans have a deep bench but it turns out they're not that deep

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
For no particular reason, here's the state of the Senate race:

Currently 54R 46D
Dems need +4 seats to take control of chamber (assuming they win the presidency in 2016, +5 if they lose)
34 seats are up for election (24R, 10D - the Tea Party class of 2010 is up for re-election)

Dem Seats (10)
9 are safe (CT, HI, MD, NY, OR, VT, WA), (CA-Boxer), (CO-Bennet)
1 is soft Dem (NV-Reid)

Rep Seats (24)
2 is likely Dem (WI-Johnson, IL-Kirk)
2 is soft Dem (IN-Coats, NH-Ayotte)
2 are toss-up (PA-Toomey, NC-Burr)
2 are lean Rep (MO-Blunt, FL-Rubio)
16 are safe Rep (AL, AR, IA, ID, KS, KY, LA, ND, OK, SC, SD, UT) (AK-Murkowski, GA-Isakson, AZ-McCain, OH-Portman,)

So the Dems need to hold NV, grab WI and IL, and then get 2 of the 6 in-play Republican seats to control the chamber (assuming a Clinton win).

Ratings taken from: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/senate-election-forecast.html?_r=0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I figure they pull 5-6, NC is the question mark though. Burr is still ahead for some reason in NC.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Seems like some super popular figure within the Democratic party will be spending time in NC bashing on Burr here soon enough, if Obama v. Liddle Marco and Clinton v. Toomey are any indication. Is there any precedent for this kind of downticket focus at this point that we can say, "oh here's a guy who is as popular at the end of his term as Eisenhower was calling the incumbent hot garbage using his own words, typically that will shift things X points" or is this all a brave new world?

I think Burr and Ayotte will get some personal attention in the coming days if I had to guess

fake edit - just checked and she's in NC today and NH tomorrow :getin:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

FMguru posted:

For no particular reason, here's the state of the Senate race:

Currently 54R 46D
Dems need +4 seats to take control of chamber (assuming they win the presidency in 2016, +5 if they lose)
34 seats are up for election (24R, 10D - the Tea Party class of 2010 is up for re-election)

Dem Seats (10)
9 are safe (CT, HI, MD, NY, OR, VT, WA), (CA-Boxer), (CO-Bennet)
1 is soft Dem (NV-Reid)

Rep Seats (24)
2 is likely Dem (WI-Johnson, IL-Kirk)
2 is soft Dem (IN-Coats, NH-Ayotte)
2 are toss-up (PA-Toomey, NC-Burr)
2 are lean Rep (MO-Blunt, FL-Rubio)
16 are safe Rep (AL, AR, IA, ID, KS, KY, LA, ND, OK, SC, SD, UT) (AK-Murkowski, GA-Isakson, AZ-McCain, OH-Portman,)

So the Dems need to hold NV, grab WI and IL, and then get 2 of the 6 in-play Republican seats to control the chamber (assuming a Clinton win).

Ratings taken from: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/senate-election-forecast.html?_r=0

My assumption is that Florida is too far gone, but we may see a poll that has Georgia close in the near future, and I think Arizona will tighten, though I still expect McCain to win.

I predict NV hold, WI, IL, IN, NH, PA, NC, MO pickup, for a grand total of +7.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I am about to post my ballot for the only senator to vote against the USA PATRIOT ACT (not shouting, it is a stupid initialism/acronym).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Seems like some super popular figure within the Democratic party will be spending time in NC bashing on Burr here soon enough, if Obama v. Liddle Marco and Clinton v. Toomey are any indication. Is there any precedent for this kind of downticket focus at this point that we can say, "oh here's a guy who is as popular at the end of his term as Eisenhower was calling the incumbent hot garbage using his own words, typically that will shift things X points" or is this all a brave new world?

I think Burr and Ayotte will get some personal attention in the coming days if I had to guess

fake edit - just checked and she's in NC today and NH tomorrow :getin:

One of the reasons that a politician's popularity can surge is when they are out of the public's direct focus, and if polling is any indication, the electorate has the memory capacity of a goldfish. Hillary eats up way more attention than the president right now, and has for about a year. The White House downticket invasion tour, I would say, is more of a result of Hillary's successful campaign than Obama electrifying crowds. Because Trump has no ground game, tactically they can now spare the resources to attack him everywhere and expect results because GOP messaging is almost non-existent.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

I figure they pull 5-6, NC is the question mark though. Burr is still ahead for some reason in NC.

because ross is completely unknown and burr has run nonstop negative ads practically calling her a rapist and sex offender for three months

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Dude is basically a Republican who's only a Democrat because of his father. He was a very conservative Democrat who retired in 2010 and now wants back in because reasons.

He'd won every single Senate race by crushing margins by coasting on his last name, despite being absolutely useless in terms of voting in the Senate. The only reason to hope he wins is because it's +1 to the Dems in the Senate.

This is a while back, but thanks for explaining!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

This is a while back, but thanks for explaining!

however bayh is still undisputably the better choice

that's indiana for you

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's because Burr denounced HB-2 the moment it passed. He washed his hands of that dumpster fire right away. He's a bit smarter than the republicans in state government.

Ross is actually a great candidate and if people knew more about her they'd love her. I'm really hoping we run up the score in NC by enough to pull Ross past the finish line. :ohdear:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think Young will win. He is just the type of ahole we love to elect in Indiana. Bayh is blasting him with ads nonstop about being a tax cheat and paying with a rubber check. Outside spending against Bayh is insane though. Number one google result is an anti Bayh ad going to click it 1000 times.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Teachout is leading 44-41 in the latest poll~

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/268767/pac-poll-teachout-leads-faso-by-three-points-in-ny-19/

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

this election does seem like a really good opportunity for the other side of the jim crow realignment, northeastern suburban republicans who vote D for president and R downticket, to continue their progress toward the democratic party

i would characterize the death of liberal republicans as a domino that couldn't start falling until the effects of the death of conservative democrats began to have its effect upon the gop. right now that sorta counts as a republican advantage - i would guess that they have more habitual ticket-splitters than democrats do (in the sense that more people will vote D for president and R downballot than vice versa - that's my hypothesis, anyway) - but i feel like it's basically inevitable. look at dudes like richard hanna, northeastern moderate republicans, retiring with obvious glee and immediately throwing grenades at the party

so hopefully that process gets a giddy-up thanks to the gop coalition completely blowing up any possible pretense that moderate/liberal republicans could make that maybe they're not the baddies

edit: a silver lining to the 99.99% chance that paul ryan will still be speaker in 2017 is that there's also a 99% chance that his majority is smaller and even more dominated by purity trolls who deeply hate basic governance, while the death of the jim crow democrat means that pelosi should have fewer republicans in democratic clothing in her caucus, although the democrats coming from places like the suburban midwest will deeply disappoint the kind of person who seriously thinks the democrats have moved so far to the right that the republicans' best move would be to become the new left-wing party

a later edit:

btw a good example of the democrats' problems is that in one of the ungerrymandered districts the courts created in virginia, in what was basically a 50-50 obama-romney district in 2012, the only democrat who bothered to file for the primary was an activist whose only prior experience was apparently losing a city council race in 2010
http://www.vpap.org/candidates/109460/elections/
now sometimes you get a great politician out of nowhere, but usually such a politician would have raised more than $12,373 by october (the republicans are running a state delegate who has raised $260K). so as good a representative as shaun brown (who, it turns out, is a black woman, which i didn't know till just now) might be, unfortunately it looks like she represents the democrats punting on 1st and goal

i hope this happens and is happening

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Apparently the Rubio/Murphy debate went pretty bad for Murphy

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
It bothers me that stuffed suit Rubio is doing so well in Florida. That shitbird basically said he didn't want the drat job. The man doesn't break wind without permission from some backer and yet people seemingly don't see this.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

It bothers me that stuffed suit Rubio is doing so well in Florida. That shitbird basically said he didn't want the drat job. The man doesn't break wind without permission from some backer and yet people seemingly don't see this.

Yes but: the Florida Democratic Party

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i really can't put into words how badly i want rubio to lose. i'd need to take some creative writing workshops just to even get a handle on expressing how badly i want him gone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Our State Dems are arguably the worst in the country.

We haven't elected anyone statewide for a major position since the 1990s. Unless you really want to count Bill Nelson but he's been there for some time.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Yet the Democrats managed to find an even emptier suit to run against him.

e: LOL did Murphy seriously answer every question during the debate by bringing up Donald Trump?

gret has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Oct 27, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Badger of Basra posted:

Yes but: the Florida Democratic Party

good joke m8

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm watching the Ayotte/Hassan debate on CSPAN because I'm a nerd and I don't care about every news network covering a slippery runway where no one was hurt... and its striking me what a terrible politician Ayotte is. All through the debate she's just repeating the same talking points word for word over and over. Its like that Rubio "there he goes again" moment on loop. Its really striking from someone who is supposed to be one of the party's big up and comers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mark Kirk is so loving stupid.

https://twitter.com/American_Bridge/status/791800880538550272

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Oh my god what a colossal prick

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Has he just given up?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The context for that is she said her family has fought for America since the revolution.

Which they have. She's an active DAR member on her father's side.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
more like mark jerk

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hey, if you're gonna lose, you may as well be a huge shithead on the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Probably can go ahead and bump Illinois up to a Democratic lock.

• Locked thread