Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

kurona_bright posted:

Why does California have a top-two primary thing anyways? What's the point?

Independents and populists like it, so it does well in the initiative system.

Kobayashi posted:

and there is at least one case in Southern California where a new, left-leaning district ended up with two Republicans on the ballot because the Democrats split their votes four ways.

Mine. Course corrected in 2014, though. But it almost happened again. Four Democrats and two Republicans in the primary, the top Democrat just barely won 2nd place.

Lycus has issued a correction as of 02:27 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

evilweasel posted:

The other question is "does removing the provision that prevents an amendment from altering the equal representation in the Senate" count as altering the equal representation in the Senate. Because if not (and there's no good reason it would be) then you just do it as two amendments.

That's what I always think every time someone brings this up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Sestak and Cruz will become inseparable friends.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ah, beaten.

Lycus has issued a correction as of 01:26 on May 11, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

So as Trump's fortunes go down, Senate Republicans' fortunes go up. Fitting.

So if Clinton and the Senate Rs both win, what happens with Garland?

Lycus has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Jun 23, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

2018, but man, Texas politics is really dumb.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Paper With Lines posted:

But would he do better or worse than Wendy Davis?

What kind of shoes does he wear?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

This coming right after Ayotte's "role model" thing is one of the funniest parts about this.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I had honestly never heard of California's top two system, but drat that's so good. So much better than party switching and tactical voting

It has drawbacks. The "best" candidate might come in 3rd place if the party participation of candidates is too lopsided, like what happened in my district in 2012. But it doesn't seem extremely likely and it was corrected in 2014 anyway. All in all, I'm satisfied.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

This seems like a super boring scandal, but I don't know how much Indianans care about this.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Has he just given up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I cannot believe Kirk still hasn't tweeted a bullshit apology. He's totally throwing this race.

• Locked thread