Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Speaking as a farther left Democrat than most and native Hoosier, I would absolutely cry with joy if Bayh got the seat over another shitlord Tea Partier who will do nothing and use statewide influence to gut the last of the good things left in the state

He's not perfect but the choice isn't progressive versus third wayer, it's third way versus lunatic loving tea partier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Actually, he's a mainstream Republican, the tea partier got vanquished in the primaries.

This is definitely a game changer but we'll have to see what the polls say before people consider it anything more than lean R. Indiana might even be one of those states where Trump plays better than he does nationally, though he'll obviously not be as good as a regular Republican, even there.

Mainstream isn't much better, just look at the official platform that's been approved. Young has pretty much voted in lockstep with the worst of the bunch in the House and I don't see him doing any different in the Senate

As for EV implications, I'm less concerned. I just want to get some Democrats round hurr so that we can hopefully get Right to Work off the books and stop the nonstop headlines of being a national embarrassment with the poo poo Pence and his stooges try to keep passing. If Clinton gets Indiana she'll have probably gotten GA and AZ before that so it'd just be an afterthought

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

thethreeman posted:

Speaking of NC, I assume everyone knows about the NBA's decision to pull out the all-star game due to HB2, the bathroom bill

McCrory blaming it on business elites and the Democrats

https://twitter.com/BryanRAnderson/status/756255019415076865
https://twitter.com/katieperalta/status/756253263633285120

Tough talk from a carpet bagging toadie stooge

TALK TO THE INVISIBLE HAND

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Governor Maggie Hassan (D) is now polling 10 points ahead of Senator Kelly Ayotte (R) in the New Hampshire Senate race.

http://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/08/04/clinton-over-trump-new-hampshire-poll

IIRC, Clinton is doing better in NH than Trump is in OK

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm at work and can't watch the video but can I just safely assume that despite being turned away at every location and failing entirely in his task, he still concludes that the system is broken and voter suppression tactics are justified?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

axeil posted:

caveat that it's an internal leak, but Evan Bayh is up 26 points in IN-SEN.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/763104351997001729

:stare:

Bayh has name recognition as a not tremendous, hated fuckup whereas everybody currently in power is tied to Pence, who is a tremendous, hated fuckup.

That said it seems like a lot. Who has that Bayh cartoon edit where he's surfing out of a biplane?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's good, but I meant the "I'm gay" edit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My worry is that if it looks too bad for too many races too soon, some enterprising low level Republicans may feel the risk of getting caught burning boxes of ballots, metaphorically or literally, would be worth it when the alternative is instant irrelevance because they got chained to an insane orange man

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol the Trumpenproles are already taking over the GOP, and I don't think they're too concerned with it burning down or not.

Canova is somebody whose policies I don't agree with or trust him to actually sincerely hold, and I ABSOLUTELY do not trust him to not break ranks just to make a show of how independent he is and screw up some legislation.

DWS is somebody whose policies I don't agree with and I believe she holds them sincerely, but she'll vote however Pelosi tells her to so I'm not too terribly sad to see her win.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

All it took was smashing the unions, usurping local control across the state, and poisoning an entire city. The gently caress is wrong with my state?

Heavily segregated and full of whites who would love for Jim Crow to come back to control those ferals murdering each other in the city

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

can we just impeach McConnell jfc

like literally into a peach

and then launch that peach into the loving sun

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It is hilarious to me that expressing even modest support of the current nominee for the Presidency of your own party is a dagger in the heart of a downticket campaign

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Young has been a stuffed suit moron voting straight ticket with no thoughts or opinions of his own, and for the Star to come out against Pence but support Young is ridiculously stupid

Everybody I've spoken to doesn't care where he's lived because nobody expects Senators to spend 90% of their time at home anyway, it's a weird angle and weirder that it's the tipping point for the Star.

It'll all be down to partisan lines. If Gregg wins then so does Bayh is my prediction

Lycus posted:

This seems like a super boring scandal, but I don't know how much Indianans care about this.

We don't, but a shitload of outside money has come in to support Young and this seems to be something that they feel will break Bayh. There's ads for it and "Bayh voted for Obamacare..." and whatever but they seem to be pushing this more since polling shows that people don't like Obamacare but they dislike how it was before even more so it's a tough wedge.

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Oct 22, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Seems like some super popular figure within the Democratic party will be spending time in NC bashing on Burr here soon enough, if Obama v. Liddle Marco and Clinton v. Toomey are any indication. Is there any precedent for this kind of downticket focus at this point that we can say, "oh here's a guy who is as popular at the end of his term as Eisenhower was calling the incumbent hot garbage using his own words, typically that will shift things X points" or is this all a brave new world?

I think Burr and Ayotte will get some personal attention in the coming days if I had to guess

fake edit - just checked and she's in NC today and NH tomorrow :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

Philly transit workers are now on strike.

If this holds through Election Day and Philadelphia turnout is depressed you can basically bust out the balloons for Toomey.

This came up in Trump thread and multiple people confirmed it's no biggie because

1) trhey go on strike every year so peeps know how to adjust
2) there's like 11 million polling places in Philly

• Locked thread