Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

It's definitely going to depend on who the Republicans end up with, but they'll probably shoot themselves in the foot and go with the candidate closest to Attila the Hun. In presidential elections Florida is better than even odds to go Democrat, in off years even Rick Scott can win as a Republican.

Sadly I won't be able to vote in the Democratic Senate primary this year. I had to switch to Republican since our piece of poo poo State Attorney got one of her donors to qualify as a write in candidate for her positions, closing the primary and ensuring only Republicans decide her fate. Also it's my only real option to vote on who is going to be the new congressman for District 4.

Florida's always been an odd duck (though I guess it's rather typical overall) in that it's a swing state but its state government is largely Red so in order to make any meaningful votes at that level if not residing in the Miami area, registering Republican and voting in primaries becomes an unfortunate necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope Asians have a large enough population to have a double digit influences on a vote outside of local elections in areas of high Asian density and California

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

The Florida portion of the map isn't totally accurate. I mean, yeah, it'd be nice if we could get more Democrats in government down here, but the Florida Supreme Court is real pissed at the legislature continually trying to ignore our neutral districts amendments to the state constitution. They just redrew a few districts themselves, and I expect 2020 is going to get way less leeway than the constant sending the maps back that this cycle got. The maps are still gerrymandered but they're getting a lot better. poo poo, just look at Congressional District 5.

Murphy has a shitload of ads playing right now that consist of Obama saying how awesome a guy Murphy is and that you should totally vote for him. I have yet to hear or see a single Grayson ad.

I think I saw one for Grayson's wife actually.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

Florida's medical marijuana amendment is almost certain to pass this year. It only failed to pass by 2.8% in 2014 and 2016 is going to have a lot more voters who are likely to vote for it.

Remembering that in order to pass an amendment to the Florida constitution you need to get over 60% of the vote.

One small step for weed in Florida. Sadly, the current legislation is restrictive as gently caress so I'd imagine it'd have a largely negligible effect on things like decriminalization or legalization. Medical Marijuana laws might open up a bit more in the state, but they'll likely still restrict it to the Charlotte's web strain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I stand corrected, then. I've never worked for Publix (despite having grown up in FL) but I have family who have. Heck, my sister is one of the staff teaching chefs at one of their Aprons schools down there. She likes it enough but I have no idea what her pay is like or how their internal culture operates. She's able to live relatively comfortably in the bay area so it can't be awful.

E: those sandwiches though. Boar's Head for life.

I have a friend who does Aprons as well as some bagging and cashiering. From what I hear, any displeasure comes from managerial and scheduling stuff and not corporate.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Remember: Florida's Democratic party sucks rear end and there's a better chance of snow in Miami than a true blue progressive winning any sort of seat.

Grayson being touted as a progressive in his own ads probably hurt him a little when compared to Murphy who touted his opposition to fracking in Florida.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Early voting started in Florida yesterday! Haven't gone out yet since I probably need to look up judges to see if they're poo poo or not (they probably are). There's also amendments 3 and 4 which are tax exemptions and I'm tempted to vote no on 4 for spite against the elderly or something. There's also the local down ballot which I might just leave blank since is pretty much all red and dem in name only. The state races I'll probably vote all dem though since it's unlikely they'll win anyways except for Rod Smith since he's been there forever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fullhouse posted:

make sure you also vote no on 1 (it is poo poo)

No on 1, Yes on 2, probably yes on 3 and idgaf no on 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

PPP poll suddenly shows Rubio-Murphy race even at 46-46 in Florida.

That's surprising given how bollocks Murphy is. I guess the den rising tide pulled his boat up as well

• Locked thread