Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pauline Kael posted:

Oh, good point, the Republicans will run Mitt Romney every 4 years henceforth. I hope he does better against Barack Obama next time!

In 2004 GWB got 44% of latino vote. Your entire strategy relies on that never ever happening again.

You may not have noticed, but the GOP as a whole has changed a wee bit in its attitudes towards latinos in the intervening decade, and even W himself got shredded by his own party when he belated attempted to do something about immigration in 2007. Much as has been the ongoing existential crisis of the whole party, I don't see how they can pivot away from that without getting killed by their own base. It's not so much "it'll never happen again" as "as things stand right now, I don't see how it can happen anytime soon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Didn't Clinton's tenure also happen to be when the right-wing media sphere really got off?

Essentially, yes. His two terms coincided with its birth, as well as the early evolution of the 24-hour news cycle, and internet demagoguery. For examples of that last, remember that Matt Drudge made his bones breaking the Lewinsky scandal (likely why he's not bothered to update his site design ever since).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

Caligula and Nero were quite decent emperors and the most apt comparisons to Obama. The histories have them as horrid brutes mainly because the histories were written by the entrenched nobility who felt most hosed over by Caligula and Nero's public policies, whereas the great majority of Roman citizens were experiencing the greatest opportunities for class advancement in their life.

While you may have had a (bad) argument with regards to Nero I guess we can nevertheless add "history of the Roman Empire" to the long and ever-growing list of poo poo about which MIGF is staggeringly ignorant.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Rand confirmed on Meet the Press this morning that he's running for Senate in 2016.

Has Karl Rove reported anything to Fox News on the subject?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

I think it was a pretty good idea, honestly. Its like Rick Santorum visiting every county, yeah some of them have almost no population but its an idea that plays well later in the campaign when people start to read up on candidates. Note, also, that he got an early start on the race- his whole walk will be done before some of the late-breaking candidates even announce. In that sense its essentially an extra.

Reminder that "walking the state" is a campaign tactic so dumb that Al Franken farcically included it in his 1999 book "Why Not Me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

evilweasel posted:

willa, when you start a conversation with nonsense insults, on this very page, and continue them, in this very post, it is sort of pointless to whine that I am not replying to your contentless insults with specific citations

if you do not wish to be mocked you for your long history of dumb posting, then perhaps you should not start a fight you will lose. if you wish my mocking you to be sourced, then you first

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm not whining, I'm laughing at you. I've only pointed out your intellectual dishonesty and hypocrisy, and your laughable record of shitposting lies and calling them truth. If you want to point out a specific "GOP talking point" I've made, then man up and do so, rather than continuing your spittle-flecked word salads. The only one doing any mocking around here is me, hoss.

This slapfight is irrelevant to the topic and, worse, isn't funny.

• Locked thread