Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Presidential election years tend to favor the Dems due to higher turnout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Let's not forget a really good republican or democratic candidate could come out like Barack Obama, and throw a wrench in things again. It's just there is nobody on the horizon. We met Barack Obama back during Hurricane Katrina which was years before the election.

Eh, remember though that any GOP candidate has to make it through their primary to get to the general election. That means that unless things change they'll pretty much have to at least say the right things to the fringe, if not outright embrace it. Neither of those actions (especially the latter) plays well in the general election.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Louisiana is a perfect source of ideas. Anyone you see proposing them should be shot into the sun, allowing for the better ideas to come forth.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Franco Potente posted:

Not really that baffling: Graham's on the Judiciary Committee, and he was apparently impressed by Lynch ("She's qualified," he said in an interview). Additionally, Graham, for all his foreign policy bluster, tends to be one of the more moderate GOP senators on (some elements of) domestic policy.

The real name that sticks out on there is Ron Johnson, but then, this is a pretty naked move to shore up some moderate credibility as he heads into a tough re-election fight.

Graham is, at least according to that one chart that gets posted on occasion, one of the few Republican figures of note that votes more liberal than he talks.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mitt Romney posted:

Could Beshear have beaten Rand paul this year?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much Beshear's hypothetical campaign is run by his own people and how much is run by the Kentucky Democratic Party. The more of the latter the less of a chance IMO.

Beshear is pretty popular in the state, but Rand hits a lot of the old school 'Gubmint Bad, Business Good' mentality this state has, especially in the economically depressed regions.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Joementum posted:

Yeah, here's my post from two years ago:

From that, I'd move WI and NH into Leans Dem and PA into Tossup. Maaaaybe move IA into Leans Rep, but the rest stays the same. Even if Democrats win WI, NH, IL, NV, PA, and OH they still only have 51 Senate seats.

Right now I'd put KY more in Leans Rep than Solid Rep. For the time being I'd say that Jim Grey has a better-than-normal chance of replacing Rand Paul.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Saucer Crab posted:

It really is sad, Tomblin has been doing his very best to keep our idiot legislature from turning this state into another Kansas or Wisconsin (minus any semblance of prosperity those states once had)

That bit in parentheses is why I'm so worried about Kentucky. The state legislature is teetering on that precipice and our governor is noted sociopath Matt Bevin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Chokes McGee posted:

We're so hosed.

So very, very hosed.

At least there's lots of booze in the state!

• Locked thread