Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
US politics is such a cynical treadmill. I've been subscribed to various election threads in D&D since 2006, and it never ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

No. Texas brought a mid-census redistricting to the Supreme Court and won back in 2002 or 2004 so there's precedent it's constitutional. That said, that's something that neither side has really gone for yet because the instant someone starts doing those routinely then everyone does it everywhere every two years (and not just that, you'd also redistrict your opponents into each other's districts routinely to make it so that none could develop a stable base). It's basically one of the few things that are technically possible but are simply not done that are left. The only other ones I can really think of are adjusting the size of the Supreme Court for partisan reasons, and removing subjects from the Supreme Court's appellate jurisdiction.

I wonder if we will see these things happen in our lifetimes. I'd like to think there will be an eventual correction toward comity, someday, but I could just as easily see the opposite happening.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

what's the problem with the jungle primary?

There was a Forum segment on it a few months ago. I forget the specifics, but the gist seems to be that it hasn't actually helped any third parties yet, and there is at least one case in Southern California where a new, left-leaning district ended up with two Republicans on the ballot because the Democrats split their votes four ways. I'm going off memory, but my impression was that it's another one of those things that sounds like a good idea but actually turns out to be pretty stupid.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know this is the Senate thread, and that the House is in no danger of flipping, but I was wondering what the overall House elections look like. Specifically, on the Democratic side, is the trend toward more left-leaning representatives, more Blue Dogs, or pretty steady? On the Republican side, is the trend toward radicalization showing any signs of abating yet?

• Locked thread