Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Kirk is in, he's quite workable on a personal level even if a bit brain-dead, especially now that his deputy chief of staff is Rauner's chief of staff for transition. Madigan wants mayor if Rahm gets picked for '16, and Duckworth is still angling for a cabinet/veep slot.

Rahm isn't getting picked for poo poo and will probably lose mayor. Madigan isn't running for mayor and will likely be the Senate candidate, if for whatever reason she doesn't run my money is on Simon for name recognition because who else is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Simon couldn't organize her way through a state senate campaign, much less US Senate.
She'd be a figurehead if she ran for U.S. Senate, the party would handle that poo poo, she'd be making phone calls and posing for pictures.

quote:

Madigan did polling for mayor in 2010, and still eyes the slot.
I just don't see this happening. She'll run for governor before mayor.

quote:

Rahm is angling for something higher than mayor; Senate might be a demotion for him.
Rahm needs to stop reading his own press releases, the city hates him for what he's done to it and downstate hates him because he's a Chicago Dem with Obama ties. He has absolutely no base.

quote:

Cullerton is grooming his guy, and there is an opportunistic Hispanic candidate. Besides that, there's not much of a plate that I know.
Who's Cullerton's guy?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Schakowsky.

eta: I mean, I think she's gonna run for the senate seat, rather than Madigan. Madigan will run for gov.
She'll be 72. I realize the Senate is chock full of septegenarians but that's mostly because most of them have been there since the 60s. I don't think she's up for the political battle, especially when she's got a nice safe seat.

I think GF is right Madigan won't run for gov til her dad retires. Voters would be too leery of that kind of power held in the hands of one family.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

She'll pass. No woman in her right mind is going to run for public office with a two year old.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

If this were true, wouldn't we be seeing a Bill Clinton wave about now? He was the most popular Democratic president in recent memory.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, if you want a non-poo poo Senator to win your election in 2016, yes, come to Chicago. I advice you to not put too much into your hopes for the states bordering Chicago; I certainly don't.
As a former Michigander who's spent not inconsiderable amounts of time in Indiana and Wisconsin goddamn I want to argue with you but... *sigh*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Franco Potente posted:

Not really that baffling: Graham's on the Judiciary Committee, and he was apparently impressed by Lynch ("She's qualified," he said in an interview). Additionally, Graham, for all his foreign policy bluster, tends to be one of the more moderate GOP senators on (some elements of) domestic policy.

The real name that sticks out on there is Ron Johnson, but then, this is a pretty naked move to shore up some moderate credibility as he heads into a tough re-election fight.
Same could be said of Kirk.

• Locked thread