Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For those of you who missed the reference:

"An Iraq War veteran, Duckworth served as a U.S. Army helicopter pilot and suffered severe combat wounds, losing both of her legs and damaging her right arm."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Duckworth

Someone tried STANDARD_GOP_TALKING_POINT_35 without even looking at her, let alone her record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Pretty sure Trump actually publicly asked him to run again.

The Trump giveth, and the Trump taketh away.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

proletarian_pixie posted:

Why is Alan Grayson sleazy??

Grand-stands in order to deflect his many corruption problems.

quote:

Sen. Reid took the opportunity to express his low opinion of Congressman Grayson to his face and remind him that the reason Sen. Reid has said that Grayson is under ethics investigation and appears to be running a Cayman Islands hedge fund from his congressional office in order to line his own pockets is because these things are true, as established by 74 pages’ worth of evidence from the Congressional Ethics Committee.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/harry-reid-alan-grayson-fight-223081

There are probably also a few things posters here know about Grayson that are not part of the easily-searchable public record, but suffice it to say that he is brazenly corrupt, and other than that he is almost precisely the Democrat version of Ted Cruz.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If the GOP nominates a third candidate it will only further crater the party's short and long-term viability. The current GOP strategy is to grin and bear it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FMguru posted:

Rubio did not impress anyone with his 2016 campaign, which confirmed every whisper about him being a good-looking but dim lightweight who speaks and thinks entirely in slogans and has a slacker's work ethic.

Ryan is probably the best of a bad lot, but he also did not impress as a VP candidate in 2012 (remember goofy grampa Joe Biden effortlessly kicking his rear end in their one debate?). There's also the problem that anyone involved in Congressional leadership has a hard time moving to the White House - you're too involved in the ugly part of the sausage-making process, and you are forced to take incoherent ideological stances.

The Republican cupboard is bare. Their whole deep bench/bumper crop of capable-seeming Governors and Senators jumped in the race this year, and every one of them was exposed as a joke. One of the reasons the #NeverTrump movement fell apart was there was no plausible alternative candidate.

2016 won't see many new Republican Governors and Senators elected, and while 2018 will, that's not really enough time to set someone up for a 2020 White House run. And there's no guarantee that any of them will be any better than the current batch of tea party halfwits.

Ryan is the emptiest of suits, much comparable to Rubio, and his grand strategy of never taking a stance on anything going on this year will hurt him down the line if he runs. He is already getting hit from his right flank, and unlike Trump has too much shame to articulate his foreign policy.

Rubio was the Rick Perry of this cycle.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Indiana is a poo poo-tier state so they should be thrilled with the best garbage quality politician they could possibly get.

From everything I've heard about Indiana it's a stealth pick for worst state in the country.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Black and Hispanic people are really the only thing standing between this country and the abyss.

White women generally deserve some credit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thethreeman posted:

So as a total outsider to FL politics, I found this article about the Senate race phenomenal: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/alan-grayson-florida-senate-race.html

I'm actually a bit surprised how negative SA is about Grayson after reading this. Sure, he runs a personal hedge fund, but it sounds like he's a total anti-establishment/anti-machine/anti-"anointment" politician who's been dunking on Wall St like a populist for years:

Basically, don't make the common mistake of confusing someone's politics with their personal character.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

:stare:

Is there any context where this is okay to say? Does he just lack all sense of self awareness you know what I know the answer to that. Never mind.

It could easily be a quote from an LF posting superstar, but other than that...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oystertoadfish posted:

well there's this in the article (which is a gold mine btw)

so she apparently claims to speak hawaiian but doesn't want to 'get into' her personal ethnicity. two of her three names are certainly hawaiian. elsewhere it says she was born on the mainland and came over at a young age - either she was born to at least one hawaiian on the mainland or she gave herself a bunch of hawaiian names and decided to (pretend to?) speak hawaiian in court to piss a bunch of people off

the 'samurai code' part doesn't have much to do with her ethnicity but it's hard to take part of that article without including something crazy she thinks or says

like seriously this facebook post

'some ___ say', 'some are saying', etc may just be one of trump's greatest legacies

Beware the donkey sorcerers!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Patter Song posted:

5-20 is a uselessly wide range, Charlie Cook.

Our outlook is a Dem gain of 5d4 seats

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

agreeing with this.

folks, i cannot stress how important the state level elections are. going from governor schwarzenegger to jerry brown and a democratic supermajority statehouse, it was like night and loving day.

Funny how your insanely unsolvable multi-year debt problem seemed to be under control within like a year of Brown taking over.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Explaining why this is a lovely law takes more than one sentence, there's an election, "our ally Saudi Arabia" isn't polling well, and the administration did almost no organizing to kill this thing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wow a politician that bends over for the NFL? Chuck Schumer truly is a treasure.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

God drat, Obama

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Seems like some super popular figure within the Democratic party will be spending time in NC bashing on Burr here soon enough, if Obama v. Liddle Marco and Clinton v. Toomey are any indication. Is there any precedent for this kind of downticket focus at this point that we can say, "oh here's a guy who is as popular at the end of his term as Eisenhower was calling the incumbent hot garbage using his own words, typically that will shift things X points" or is this all a brave new world?

I think Burr and Ayotte will get some personal attention in the coming days if I had to guess

fake edit - just checked and she's in NC today and NH tomorrow :getin:

One of the reasons that a politician's popularity can surge is when they are out of the public's direct focus, and if polling is any indication, the electorate has the memory capacity of a goldfish. Hillary eats up way more attention than the president right now, and has for about a year. The White House downticket invasion tour, I would say, is more of a result of Hillary's successful campaign than Obama electrifying crowds. Because Trump has no ground game, tactically they can now spare the resources to attack him everywhere and expect results because GOP messaging is almost non-existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

That's surprising given how bollocks Murphy is. I guess the den rising tide pulled his boat up as well

I assume Clinton/the DNC smell blood and will do what they can to be rid of Rubio here.

• Locked thread