Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The host of Fuckabee looks to be back in the race, via Republican Whisperer Robert Costa.

quote:

Huckabee is scheduled to spend part of November holding private meetings with powerful GOP financiers in Las Vegas, New York, and California, gauging their interest in being bundlers for his possible campaign and asking for pledges of five-to six-figure donations to his aligned organizations. And he is planning two strategy sessions in December, in Little Rock and Destin, Fla., near his new Gulf Coast home, to discuss timing, potential staffing, and an opening pitch to voters.

In January, Huckabee will publish “God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy,” his latest manifesto on politics and culture.

“His heart is into it,” his daughter and political confidant Sarah Huckabee told The Washington Post in an interview Tuesday. “He is personally engaged and more aggressive in taking on meetings. He can’t wait to get back to South Carolina and Iowa.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

And it isn't like the age factor is out of play - nearly a third of voters were concerned about McCain's age and its effect on his possible Presidential responsibilities, and her husband's team used age as an attack against Dole in 1996.

This discounts big parts of McCain's campaign. Age was a minor but not massive issue until two factors came up: That his opponent was twenty five years younger than him, and that his VP choice was someone who was stupendously stupid. To your average voter (particularly non-Conservative to start with), the idea of being one heart attack away from President Palin is/was frightening. One heart attack away from President Castro? Not nearly so much unless you're mumbling the word 'wetback' under your breath, and those people would vote for a sack of potatoes with the word 'REPUBLICAN' scrawled on it with a Sharpie.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Julian Castro seems like he'd be in line for a better cabinet post first. Not sure what. Ambassador to Mexico or the UN? HHS?

He could run the DNC, but you can't go from that to President. You'd need some other high profile gig in between (ala HW Bush).

Thing is, how long until his youth appeal is gone and he's no more special than Bill Richardson was?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

quote:

"God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy,”

That's a well-marketed title if I ever heard one.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Well, no wonder he can't keep the weight off writing a book like that.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

Julian Castro seems like he'd be in line for a better cabinet post first. Not sure what.

Just using him as a random example there. But even with his resume lacking, he doesn't have the fear punch of President Palin. None of the likely Dem VP candidates do. That's a definite factor in worrying about Hilary's age.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Anyone else have conservative friends going nuts on facebook about the Oatmeal comic about Ted Cruz saying Net Neutrality = Obamacare? Going nuts as in like "this comic is rad gently caress you Ted Cruz"?

I think part of it is that they got spooked when Netflix stopped streaming awhile back and part of it is that they don't want anything more positive than the Holocaust compared to Obamacare, but still just kind of surprising in general.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
Who eats gravy on their grits?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I think he's just listing southern culture signifiers.

It's the Dane Cook of political book titles.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

pangstrom posted:

Anyone else have conservative friends going nuts on facebook about the Oatmeal comic about Ted Cruz saying Net Neutrality = Obamacare? Going nuts as in like "this comic is rad gently caress you Ted Cruz"?

I think part of it is that they got spooked when Netflix stopped streaming awhile back and part of it is that they don't want anything more positive than the Holocaust compared to Obamacare, but still just kind of surprising in general.

I've had one say "We need a meme that tells the whole story and actually knows what it is! The Oatmeal one doesn't understand Net Neutrality!" but conspicuously not elaborate beyond that.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Joementum posted:

The host of Fuckabee looks to be back in the race, via Republican Whisperer Robert Costa.

Think he could make waves? His bugfuck ultraconservative credentials are pretty unimpeachable except to the very most deranged of Tea Party loons, and he retains a lot of that "well, he seems like a nice guy!" reputation among Republicans that Cruz lacks. And he is not a Messikan.

Don't know if that is enough to overcome the weaknesses demonstrated in 2008 (bad fundraising and poor organizational control) in what is liable to be a tougher field

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think he could have won the nomination in 2012, but 2016 is going to be much more competitive and his record isn't as recent or as impressive (to Republicans) as the other Governors who'll be trying.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Joementum posted:

I think he could have won the nomination in 2012, but 2016 is going to be much more competitive and his record isn't as recent or as impressive (to Republicans) as the other Governors who'll be trying.

I think he could easily come in and be the establishment candidate. I don't think he can come in and be the Not-X candidate because there's already a clown car of potential candidates salivating at being the next Herman Cain.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think he could easily come in and be the establishment candidate. I don't think he can come in and be the Not-X candidate because there's already a clown car of potential candidates salivating at being the next Herman Cain.

I think he may come in an be the populist candidate a bunch of people in one of the USPol threads were wishing for. I think I read a short story about that, called the Murdoch's Paw.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Scudder/Cruz 2016

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

PupsOfWar posted:

Think he could make waves? His bugfuck ultraconservative credentials are pretty unimpeachable except to the very most deranged of Tea Party loons, and he retains a lot of that "well, he seems like a nice guy!" reputation among Republicans that Cruz lacks. And he is not a Messikan.

Don't know if that is enough to overcome the weaknesses demonstrated in 2008 (bad fundraising and poor organizational control) in what is liable to be a tougher field

Isn't one or more of his kids a certifiable, animal torturing psychopath?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FetusSlapper posted:

Isn't one or more of his kids a certifiable, animal torturing psychopath?

And he showed compassion and released a black guy from prison when he was Arkansas governor, and the guy went on to kill someone.

That's always been the real stake in the heart of his campaigns

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Fried Chicken posted:

And he showed compassion and released a black guy from prison when he was Arkansas governor, and the guy went on to kill someone.

That's always been the real stake in the heart of his campaigns

Didn't he show some vague signs of economic populism too that scared off more establishment figures?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think he could easily come in and be the establishment candidate.

When the establishment is trying to figure out where to throw their money they're going to look at Christie, Walker, and Kasich long before they get to the guy putting around Iowa signing copies of “God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy”. Langone and Kissinger were already trying to recruit Christie last time because they weren't satisfied with Mitt Romney.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I hadn't heard that Kasich was seriously mulling a run yet. He scares me more thank Walker, I think. Similar ~relative~ moderate rep, passes the eyeball test better, more (and more varied) experience, proven ability to cross traditional demographic lines, a better record, and more home-state backing.

He does often seem pretty stiff when he goes on camera, but Hillary isn't going to exploit that as well as Obama or Bill would.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 12, 2014

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Foyes36 posted:

Didn't he show some vague signs of economic populism too that scared off more establishment figures?

I have no clue what it was, if anything. He supports the FairTax, which sounds populist (end taxation on your already low income and get a prebate on part of your sales tax if you're poor!) until you think more about it (all our revenue dependent on sales tax? No way that's revenue neutral. Also, if you are in a mid-bracket, you still pay like a 20% total sales tax).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/29/huckabee-a-tax-is-punishment.html

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Foyes36 posted:

He supported a quarantine for people with AIDS in the 90s

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Foyes36 posted:

I don't remember anything like that, but during the Revered Wright "God drat America" non-event, he made the fatal mistake of being understanding of where Wright was coming from and acknowledged that any black American who'd lived during segregation had a valid right to be a bit upset with the country allowing that.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Warszawa posted:

I've had one say "We need a meme that tells the whole story and actually knows what it is! The Oatmeal one doesn't understand Net Neutrality!" but conspicuously not elaborate beyond that.

This is actually a true statement - the Oatmeal focuses on the Comcast/Netflix despite as evidence we need net neutrality, ignoring the fact that that dispute isn't about net neutrality and wouldn't be affected by net neutrality regulation (especially given that Comcast is already under stronger obligations than would be imposed under Title II.)

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Kalman posted:

This is actually a true statement - the Oatmeal focuses on the Comcast/Netflix despite as evidence we need net neutrality, ignoring the fact that that dispute isn't about net neutrality and wouldn't be affected by net neutrality regulation (especially given that Comcast is already under stronger obligations than would be imposed under Title II.)

The way Obama worded things he means to regulate to that level as well. Everyone assumed he wouldn't go that far, which is why the telecom companies are screaming bloody murder.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Internet Webguy posted:

The way Obama worded things he means to regulate to that level as well. Everyone assumed he wouldn't go that far, which is why the telecom companies are screaming bloody murder.

No, he didn't. Sorry. All he said was that interconnect deals should be transparent. No one sane is suggesting that interconnect/peering deals should have to be offered on identical terms, and Title II doesn't actually offer the authority to require that.

The telcos are pissed because they don't want to deal with Title II regulation - they don't have a problem with net neutrality because it doesn't change anything in practice, it just means they have to keep doing the same poo poo they've been doing.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Kalman posted:

No, he didn't. Sorry. All he said was that interconnect deals should be transparent. No one sane is suggesting that interconnect/peering deals should have to be offered on identical terms, and Title II doesn't actually offer the authority to require that.

The telcos are pissed because they don't want to deal with Title II regulation - they don't have a problem with net neutrality because it doesn't change anything in practice, it just means they have to keep doing the same poo poo they've been doing.

Obama posted:

Increased transparency. The connection between consumers and ISPs — the so-called “last mile” — is not the only place some sites might get special treatment. So, I am also asking the FCC to make full use of the transparency authorities the court recently upheld, and if necessary to apply net neutrality rules to points of interconnection between the ISP and the rest of the Internet.

I'm pretty sure the applying net neutrality rules against ISPs and the rest of the internet means that special deals like Comcast and Netflix will be regulated or at least scrutinized.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Internet Webguy posted:

I'm pretty sure the applying net neutrality rules against ISPs and the rest of the internet means that special deals like Comcast and Netflix will be regulated or at least scrutinized.

It's in a section called increased transparency. Pretty sure they're talking about disclosing the scope/terms of those deals, which has been an ongoing conversation in net neutrality, not about applying net neutrality regulations.

(Also, applying a full neutrality regulation of the type you seem to be asking for to interconnect might actually exceed title ii authority. Title II explicitly allows for reasonable discrimination, and asking Netflix to pay to connect in is not unreasonable discrimination.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PupsOfWar posted:

I hadn't heard that Kasich was seriously mulling a run yet. He scares me more thank Walker, I think. Similar ~relative~ moderate rep, passes the eyeball test better, more (and more varied) experience, proven ability to cross traditional demographic lines, a better record, and more home-state backing.

The scary thing about Walker (well, one of many) is that he has admitted on tape that he is beholden to the Kochs.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Timby posted:

The scary thing about Walker (well, one of many) is that he has admitted on tape that he is beholden to the Kochs.
My thing is, he's such a putz. I mean, like Cruz, he's obviously the kid that got beat up in school repeatedly for telling on everyone else and had no friends. He just reeks of it. I can't believe anyone is inspired by either of them. Charisma factor of zero. I think that's how low the bar is. Dubya and Mitt and Huckabee seem charismatic compared to this crew, which is probably why these guys never make it to the top of the ticket.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Kalman posted:

It's in a section called increased transparency. Pretty sure they're talking about disclosing the scope/terms of those deals, which has been an ongoing conversation in net neutrality, not about applying net neutrality regulations.

(Also, applying a full neutrality regulation of the type you seem to be asking for to interconnect might actually exceed title ii authority. Title II explicitly allows for reasonable discrimination, and asking Netflix to pay to connect in is not unreasonable discrimination.)

The point is that it's not reasonable discrimination - they aren't asking for Netflix to pay for a direction connection, they are effectively forcing them to, by not upgrading their peering links to Tier 1 networks and ensuring that Netflix cannot give a good service to Comcast customers without paying Comcast whatever Comcast is asking. Comcast even said no to the Netflix caching servers, which also would have relieved any congestion and probably for vastly cheaper, which typically is something that any ISP would be happy and willing to do. Netflix being treated from any other CDN service is not reasonable.

That is now how the Internet in the US has actually worked up until the last year or two. Comcast's own testimony revealed that their upstream connection costs have dropped 99% in 10 years, so it's not about the cost of Netflix, it's exactly about extracting money from a competing service by leveraging Comcast's utily/monopoly position.

Edit: It's also why ISP's stock took a huge hit - removing that leverage means that their potential for growth in to other markets by leveraging their ISP market is much lower. That's why it's a big deal, and why they are freaking out. ILEC's are generally massively incompetent and have very poor success at internet services, since they are mostly used to getting customers who have no other choice.

Pervis fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 12, 2014

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

deoju posted:

The GOP would have to be careful how they play the "too old" card against Clinton. They rely on older voters who wouldn't like to hear that a 70 year old shouldn't be trusted.

A part of me agrees with this, but another part of me knows there's absolutely no low the GOP won't sink to in order to demonize their opponents, even if doing so indicts their own candidate. See: Romneycare and Purple Heart bandaids at the 2004 RNC convention when their own nominee was an actual draft dodger.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pervis posted:

Comcast even said no to the Netflix caching servers, which also would have relieved any congestion and probably for vastly cheaper, which typically is something that any ISP would be happy and willing to do. Netflix being treated from any other CDN service is not reasonable.

You're wrong, this is exactly what Comcast is being paid for.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

computer parts posted:

You're wrong, this is exactly what Comcast is being paid for.

Comcast is being paid for the caching servers, or for the direct connection? Typically the CDN company will pay a minimal rack space (w/ power & cooling) cost and provide the equipment and manage it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Why doesn't someone start a thread for the network neutrality thing instead of having this here.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Chantilly Say posted:

Well, no wonder he can't keep the weight off writing a book like that.

Everyone knows the good Lord goes straight to your hips.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Dude wrote a diet book. How can we expect him to lead by example when he can't lead himself with his own advice?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

My thing is, he's such a putz. I mean, like Cruz, he's obviously the kid that got beat up in school repeatedly for telling on everyone else and had no friends. He just reeks of it. I can't believe anyone is inspired by either of them. Charisma factor of zero. I think that's how low the bar is. Dubya and Mitt and Huckabee seem charismatic compared to this crew, which is probably why these guys never make it to the top of the ticket.

I can't get over how Cruz always looks like he's about to burst into tears. And not compassionate, moving, men-can-emote-these-days tears. Really whiny tears like he's throwing a tantrum over not getting to stay up late.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Can anyone here comment on the odds of getting to go to the convention as a delegate if you are a mere peasant or if you supported a losing candidate? I think I finally want to do this. In 2008 I was too busy and in 2004 I backed someone who got 0 delegates in my state and I just didn't try.

I do know my odds are improved for the DNC now that I live in a R+12 district!

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

Can anyone here comment on the odds of getting to go to the convention as a delegate if you are a mere peasant or if you supported a losing candidate?

Probably zero, but you're in North Carolina, IIRC. In that state, delegates to the DNC are awarded proportionally by congressional district with a 15% viability threshold. So work your butt off for a candidate (and also donate a ton of cash if it's a major candidate) and if you suck up enough to their campaign and they do well enough in your CD, they might put you on the delegate slate.

• Locked thread