Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I have to imagine the question "just how big a thing will people voting Clinton because 'first woman president!' be?" is looming large in the minds of both parties approaching this race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

It would be a lot bigger if it were Warren instead of Clinton. Hillary will have been a national public figure for about 25 years come election time - I don't think there are too many voters that have no opinion of her either way but would also go to the polls and vote Clinton simply for the sake of history. Nor are there many voters who would overlook what they don't like about her just because she's a woman. The vast majority of people who would cite her gender as the main factor for their vote were probably going to vote the Democratic candidate anyway.

I'd agree with all this if Americans only voted on the issues, but I think they care a whole lot more about surface and symbolism than these forums tend to predict

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Assuming they were going to vote at all, of course.

There's no way the opportunity to vote for the first woman president isn't going to draw out a non-trivial number of people who wouldn't have bothered otherwise. 2008 had record turnout, 10 million more voters than 2004 showed up and the percentage of the overall vote made up by black people increased from 11% to 13%. I think we could definitely see the same effect with women voting for Hillary

Torka fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 10, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Democrats will turn out for a woman with a male face attached to them; whether they'll turn out for a woman without a well-known man attached to her, remains to be seen.

Yeah, it's a huge unanswered question that both sides must be scrambling to try to answer behind the scenes.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

As a non-American Huckabee is the only republican candidate in recent years who has real charisma in public speaking and interviews. I think almost all of his opinions are terrible but he's really great at coming across as a nice reasonable guy and although that should be easy I can't think of many others on that side of the aisle who've managed it in the last decade.

Charisma doesn't seem to mean as much as it used to though, didn't help Huntsman.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

GOPe more and more openly indicating that they'd rather actively sabotage Trump's run in the general and put a democrat in power for another eight years than let him win. Are they just bluffing?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

lovely-seeming title and great body text, the total opposite of a normal Onion story.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

How on earth can the American left still think that more scolding and sanctimony is the answer to Trump

It doesn't work on him, it has never worked on him, find another loving strategy

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

Reminder: Donald Trump said many, many times that George W. Bush was responsible for 9/11. Ari was the Press Secretary for the administration at the time.

https://twitter.com/AriFleischer/status/727674606681792512

Why does Fleischer have so many (based on the outrage in the replies) liberal followers ? Weird

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

every time bernie's said a single thing it's immediately into "how dare you attack me :qq:" mode

Sure but only because that sort of over the top affrontedness plays well with the left, not out of genuine offense. Her campaign's savvy enough to know that victimhood isn't valued by the people they'll be trying to woo in the GE.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Dogstoyevsky posted:

they let the white nationalists take the wheel

Don't you only need to get sixty-something percent of the white vote to render minorities irrelevant? Seems possible if whitey's as racist as some people fear.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I can't handle seeing Ted Cruz do his impressions, it's too humanising. Especially that Princess Bride one. I don't want to think of him as a person

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Kasich sending draft rules to rules committee: No Trumps allowed!

Trump clinches anyway by arguing that it's "No Trumps", so they're allowed to have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

We're going to see a credible third party candidate, greater than 60% probability

Nah

You're right that there's a good chance we'll see one but they won't be credible, they'll just be in it to sabotage

• Locked thread