Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CubsWoo posted:

It would be a lot bigger if it were Warren instead of Clinton. Hillary will have been a national public figure for about 25 years come election time - I don't think there are too many voters that have no opinion of her either way but would also go to the polls and vote Clinton simply for the sake of history. Nor are there many voters who would overlook what they don't like about her just because she's a woman. The vast majority of people who would cite her gender as the main factor for their vote were probably going to vote the Democratic candidate anyway.

Assuming they were going to vote at all, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Torka posted:

There's no way the opportunity to vote for the first woman president isn't going to draw out a non-trivial number of people who wouldn't have bothered otherwise
Yeah, that's what I mean. People who might vote for her because she's a woman were likely to be Democrat supporters already but that doesn't mean they'd have bothered to vote.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Missed this Huckabee jewel

"Not to diminish anything about the climate at all,” Huckabee said, “but Mr. President, I believe that most of us would think that a beheading is a far greater threat to an American than a sunburn.”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

computer parts posted:

This is a really weird map.

Yeah, it really is. You've got demographics/ethnic background competing with climate competing with access to medical care and the net result is no obvious trend.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Joementum posted:

It's per 100,000 people, so it's going to be skewed to show outsized emphasis in small population states. That's like 100 people in the entire state of Vermont, for example, which just means there are at least 100 people in the state who vacation.

Also Vermont is whiter than <insert other state>.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm certain it's being added to chain emails and lunatic fringe sites as we speak.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

Wait, why does the GOP base hate Graham so much? Is it because he sometimes works on legislation with the dems to make sure at least some poo poo gets done?

:gay:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Wait, why are the sunglasses and cell phone bad? Am I missing something crucial here?

It's meant to contrast Walker being personable with Hillary being rude, distant and impersonal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

if i were a gop candidate id try to make sure the jeb endorsement does not go anywhere near me. can u imagine if he wanted to go on stage with me? im trying to become the president for god sakes!

If I were Rubio I'd hope Jeb! sticks around for a while just to keep Trump distracted.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rocks posted:

Trump's senior advisor said this, basically setting up Trump's Next Big Thing:

That's dialling it back to something relatively non-controversial.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I think it's terrible.

Trump was a pitchman for steaks that some people didn't like. That's it?

Give me a loving break. The man called Mexicans rapists, wants to ban Muslims from America and god knows what else, but yo, "his steaks weren't all that!" is what you're gonna hit him with?
Because it makes him look like a lovely salesman on a 3AM infomercial.

Calling Trump a racist or a liar isn't going to convince someone who is on the fence; the point is to go after his image.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Hm. I wonder if the Cruz leaker is Jeb or Rubio (or Trump!) opp-o or just some person who doesn't like Cruz.
That doesn't even narrow it down to people who have met him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Matthewtheman posted:

So I discovered during my recent ventures into the GameFAQs message boards that there's a lot of overlap between Gamergaters and Trump supporters.

It's related to "cuckservative" being a thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has there ever been a time in the US where a candidate has won the nomination but drops out before the election?

What happens if that did happen? Does the party get to quickly add someone else to the ballot? If the ballots are printed, could the dropped out candidate still win?

In 2000 the sitting Senator for Missouri, John Ashcroft, lost to a dead person.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Montasque posted:

Then why don't they support Trump?

Because he's not playing by their rules, and because it's pretty easy to look at Trump's history and see that he might not be a True Believer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Trump has spent several decades trying to convince a journalist that he doesn't have stubby fingers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

This is legitimately more frightening than any other alternative.

It's not a new strategy for them. It's also why the continued talk of the death of the GOP is premature

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, he is done. who else do you think is going to quit/burn out tonight/tomorrow.

Santorum and Huckabee?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

nachos posted:

Before the Palin endorsement everyone was expecting Cruz to win Iowa anyways. This isn't some huge election shaking upset that just happened. Funny to see that Palin is politically irrelevant amongst the GOP. Her endorsement is neutral at best.

The birther stuff shock the poll numbers around a lot. The result doesn't require fundamentally rethinking presidential politics, but it does change how you view Trump's chances.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

rear end cobra posted:

Marco Rubio winning is the least funny outcome possible and we can't have that.
It's one path to Trump going nuclear at least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

I know nothing, would Trump running Independent ruin his & party chances by splitting vote?

That's the general assumption.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Brannock posted:

/pol/ has also played a large part in the total embarrassment of Jeb

Jeb didn't need any help with that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

They are tho, millennial is post 1980 iirc or maybe 83, either way
it's kinda borderline

being born in 81 means I remember poo poo like the cold war, and the Simpsons starting, and Nirvana before Cobain died, and I was in university when 9/11 happened, which aren't really typical "millennial" experiences

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Columbine happened during my senior year of HS, 9/11 was sophomore year of college, and Facebook was invented right after I graduated. I was always too young to do any cool Gen X stuff, and am old enough to remember a time before the existence of the Internet as we know it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2011/10/generation_catalano_the_generation_stuck_between_gen_x_and_the_m.html

the VCR generation was the description I heard that I liked, the idea being you were young enough to need to program one and young enough to be able to

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

For someone who doesn't really get the joke, what's the significance of the book?

It's famously left-wing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Despera posted:

Kasich, walker?

Walker absolutely was a weak candidate, in the same way that Jeb! and Perry were.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i think that in four years if we have a trumplike figure running you're going to see the establishment carpet bomb them into the ground starting in, like, july 2019. gonna be funny to watch.

There are no Trump-like candidates, there is only Trump.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm studying to become a teacher in Australia where there is a national curriculum, and by and large my impression of it is that it's mostly Cool and Good.
You'll be amazed to learn that the conservatives here don't like it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

:unsmigghh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

Imagine the look on Trump's face as Obama hands over the keys during inauguration. I almost want him to win just to see that.

If Trump got into the race to smash Jeb! then he stayed in it because of Obama.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Jeb! gonna be the gimp at Trump's inauguration party and Rubio's going to be stripping

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CortezFantastic posted:

What happened in the last 24 hours that this thread is over 1k posts? All I saw was the Sessions endorsement.

Rubio's put some new material in his standup set.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Extensive Vamping posted:

I just want to say you're all fuckers. How do you people have time to read 40-60 pages a day, let alone post?
Don't read, :justpost:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Alris posted:

Why does a private citizen like Trump have Secret Service protection anyway? I was under the impression candidates only got official protection after winning the nomination, and Obama getting it was a one-off in '08 when he was frontrunner at the request of political colleagues and fear of racist crazies doing something extreme.
Nah, it happened before and after Obama too. Kerry had it in 2004 (even before the nomination), and Sanders, Clinton and Carson all have it at the moment too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

How would anything other than Vermont and MAYBE Virginia been in play for Rubio without Kasich?

Without him Rubio would probably have been over the threshold in Alabama (and maybe Texas), and Mass would have looked like a contest (50-40) rather than a walkover (50-20-20).

The thresholds really hurt Rubio tonight, and he got a lot fewer delegates than his vote % would suggest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Peel posted:

'we don't know what will happen' is the pure honest truth that pundits should be saying

Anybody who claims to have a good model for this election is either a genius or a liar.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

Has anything major happened in the debate? I got bored and stopped watching.

The bit where Trump said that he'd solve the I/P issue by just lying to the Palestinians was funny, but aside from that it's been pretty dull

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pleasant Friend posted:

So unless they change the rules about having to win the majority in eight states for your delegates to count and be eligible for Republican nom, is Trump and Cruz going to be the only choices?

What happens to Rubio's delegates in that situation? Are they redistributed? Not counted? Does that lower the threshold for winning outright?

Varies from state to state I think (and possibly within some states).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

was this sarcasm i really know nothing about her

https://twitter.com/KatrinaPierson/status/160181303680040960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

Which is funny because when I think of 'tough guy' I immediately go to the ol' tough guy trope of someone who sues at the drop of a hat. A real bad rear end with a team of lawyers behind him :smugdon:

He's a dodgy real-estate salesman with a bad combover trying to present himself as a tough alpha male. He's basically a character from Glengarry Glen Ross.

• Locked thread