Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama can take the next 4 election cycles, then Chelsea Clinton, then Malia Obama, then Sasha, and then I think by then Charlotte Clinton-Mezvinsky should be eligible to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mercury_Storm posted:

And yet Palin was almost a heart-attack away from being POTUS. How the gently caress would that have even worked?

"Uh Mrs. President, we need your input on how to handle the Ukraine incident."

*rambling gibberish*

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh..."

Is there even an outside chance that she would have gotten better instead of worse had she had not to resort to Tea Party nonsense?

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its been said that the first trillionaire will be the person that cheaply produces left-handed sugar. I have no doubt the first zillionaire will be the person that lets you watch multiverse outcomes like cable tv channels.

I would watch the poo poo out of Palin's America. And Steve Forbes America. And the Unineted States of Herman Cain's America.

edit: Perot America would be like HBO and cost extra.

My idea of Heaven is God with an intergalactic holodeck that you can program with whatever alt-history you want so you can watch it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

and in any individual case, their voting tactically would have accomplished absolutely nothing

Seriously, even in small countries and local elections, single votes don't matter - if the situation is such that a single vote would matter, the situation comes up for a judicial review or a re-election anyway. Voting tactically makes no sense in any world unless you're part of a collective effort to do so - if you want the Democrats to win, then campaign for them. A couple of hundred votes might conceivably help in some way. Your individual vote does not.

If you tell a couple hundred people that their vote doesn't matter, does not that in itself "conceivably [help] in some way"?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

blunt for century posted:

Bill Maher is kind of an anus regardless of his audience

It would appear that he's also anti-vax

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bill's 2012 speech was great to just listen to and watch and I'm excited for another one.

I mean, besides the CK2 Clown Car that is the Republican Primary.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's John Bolton's background? How did he become a UN ambassador despite being, as far as I can tell, a bloodlusted warmonger?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's just fantastic. The RNC only wants conservative media to moderate their debates, but the conservative media doesn't want to lose the veneer of deniability that they're conservative.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

I feel so sorry for the video editor who has to loop through Bush's stutters to stitch these together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY28BChrCQc

What does Jeb sound like unedited? Between that and the other Right to Rise video I'm getting the impression that he's a good speaker.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"economic driven immigrants"

Well that's a new dogwhistle on me. Also thanks, I get what you mean now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DaveWoo posted:

I was curious about this quote, so I went and looked it up; I mean, hey, it's possible Perry might have been taken out of context, right?

:cripes:

Uhhhh excuse me Rick Perry but Iran's use of nuclear weapons would cause global cooling

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nrook posted:

What's wrong with Joe Biden, anyway? I'm young enough that I haven't been around for most of his career, but when I read the New Yorker profile of him half a year ago, I was very impressed. The man seems to have his head on straight when it comes to foreign policy, and he's honest, too. There's an interesting point about a plan to partition Iraq he came up with. It seemed a bit ridiculous back in 2006. It seems less ridiculous now.

Nobody actually cares about the gaffe thing, and if plagiarism mattered Lincoln wouldn't have won two Oscars. From where I'm standing, he'd be a much better President than HRC. He's not going to be nominated unless Hillary bows out, but I see no reason not to hope something happens and she does. Am I wrong?

I would think that the largest concern about Biden would be his age - he'd be 3 years older than Reagan was when he began his first term.

Granted, Biden has been active enough as Veep that there's no sign of any senility so far, but that's a long time to be counting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The only thing anyone's going to hear from that clip is "Elizabeth Warren was right"

Sharkie posted:

That line extending down from the Clintons is so drat disingenuous.

A cursory check of wikipedia tells me that George HW Bush is the son of Prescott Bush, a former Senator, whereas neither Bill nor Hillary Clinton have any other relations involved in US politics. Incredible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

My dude is legit as gently caress.

As a side bar, there's a huge coalition of mayors that were (and still are) in solidarity with Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They're all for nuclear disarmament because it's not states that get blown to hell and back, it's cities. It's cool stuff and my wife got to talk to the mayor of Nagasaki about it in 2011 (all over scotch and karaoke; I'm not even making GBS threads you).

I went to Nagasaki earlier this year and yeah, seeing the commitments of that global coalition of mayors against atomic weapons was cool.

Burlington joined Mayors for Peace in 1986, during Sanders' term as mayor

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 19, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

When I worked on the NH/Mass border, all my NH coworkers would talk about how Trump was their candidate. When I asked why, their answers were mainly "he's just the right guy." I'd ask how and I'd never get a response. I have no idea why people love him.

It's like The Secret: he's rich, so he knows how to get rich, and when he becomes President, America's going to become rich!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

And the other half of that Nixon tandem was HR "Bob" Haldeman, so it works for both ends of his name.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The best description I've heard of Trump is that he acts like how a hobo thinks a rich guy should act like.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I sort of have a hard time believing that Sarah Palin as a VP pick did not at all influence some voters away from McCain, especially when it's someone that's specifically of McCain's age and potential health problems, unless we get into the whole shebang of how there aren't really "swing/independent" voters and everyone who thought Palin was a bad choice was already going to vote for Obama anyway and it's all a matter of inducing and enabling people to vote, period.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

Sorry, but independent thinking moderates who swing elections based on the "facts" are pretty much a modern myth of the media. Horse race narrative just isn't as sexy when you admit that it's about partisan turnout instead of deep thinking independents. Which is good, because who the hell wants the fate of the nation resting on indecisive idiots who can't pick between two different choices given almost two whole years to decide?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with this, which is why I brought it up in the first place. That was a good response, thanks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

To put it another way, there was brief chatter about Obama replacing Biden in 2012, but Obama himself put a stop to that talk by simply telling Biden "But what if I die?"

Pretty sure this was also a West Wing episode

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
We should just rig the thread title to match whatever Trump's last tweet was.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Hope this hasn't been posted

Real winner here

MOTHERFUCKER
FOR AMERICA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

don Jaime posted:

so many Sanderistas openly say they won't vote for Clinton if they can't have Bernie

Wait, what? That's stupid beyond belief!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

He was a senile old yes-man for the racist, jingoist id of the conservative movement. Reagan was stage-managed from the top of his empty head to the toes of the shoes he forgot each morning. They love him because he campaigned on telling America that none of the poo poo Carter said about America needing to adapt to a post-industrial world was true and that he'd make sure we'd bomb and space our way to owning the planet.

This matches what I've read as well - Reagan (made people feel like he) made America great again, after Carter outright admitting that America had a few problems that they needed to work on and they were struggling and all that.

Reagan was all pride and glory without devolving into bluster and without ever dropping the dogwhistle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

the only way democrats win elections is because 47% of the country wants free stuff

I'm pretty sure that number is at least 50%+1 of the country.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

walker is probably the worst person in the field, even worse than Trump

at least Trump really can't do any actual harm, Walker has and will continue to actually gently caress things up that matter

Trump has actually caused quite a bit of harm to people that he's fleeced of money.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

Our only hope is the networks will be so eager for the ratings bump from Trump they'll want to keep him.

I find it kind of funny that this is something we've come to expect: that a corporation would put profits ahead of the democratic process (even for something as already undemocratic as the Republican primary)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ErIog posted:

The Tea Party

The Dollop podcast talked about the Business Plot in a recent episode, and it's Dollop so I expect that there's some historical embellishment there, but the idea that a bunch of millionaires would try to reverse FDR's fiscal policy by co-opting WWI veterans associations to make it seem like there was a grass roots movement means we've been going round and round at this for a while now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's all just a long con to throw the race into a loop until Mittens throws his hat into the ring a week before the debates, rides the post-announcement bump into a top 10 polling slot and the accompanying spot in the debate, then takes the candidacy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but a lot of what I hear is that you absolutely must make it to the RNC/Fox debate. Is this an actual requirement/rule of the Republican convention as far as picking the nomination, or is it just assumed that you need this in order to be able to win the nomination, which is otherwise still going to go through the primary process?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nanomashoes posted:

Also,Trump is now making fun of the paralyzed. Republicans, please nominate this guy.

quote:

Not content with insulting a female reporter’s intelligence and professionalism, Donald "When did we beat Japan at anything?" Trump apparently mocked a conservative critic for being paralyzed.

Trump extension continues to own :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

I love Ted Cruz's Winston Churchill tat - shameless imperial aggression. Isn't the USA supposed to be something better - not just a mirror to Putin's revanchism?

Putin is a mirror to Reagan's revanchism, though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

Trump offers an explanation for the discrepancy between his attendance estimates and the convention center's.

The fire code usually sets the capacity for rooms at under a third of what they can hold, right?

Completely un-fact-check-able. The Donald cannot lie, he can only be lied to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thomas Haden Church?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Apologies if this has been covered before, but is there any sort of mainstream coverage saying that Sanders' minority credentials are an issue, or is this something more like we in D&D are seeing Sanders' performance among minorities in what polls we have and we're seeing Sanders not really making a dedicated effort to reach out to them and we're getting worried that he needs to start working on it before it becomes a mainstream issue?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Walker looks like Shannen Doherty

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In the context of "the problem with a weathervane/populist politician is that they may well take the wrong stand on an issue just because that's what their constituency wants" (and setting aside how their constituency may have been mislead to want something against their best interests), what was the mood of the public with regards to, say, the Iraq War? Was Senator Clinton voting with or against her constituency at the time?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Yep, this is literally the woman who was present in Walmart executive level anti-union meetings and didn't say a drat thing. lol if you expect HRC to do even as much as Obama has (very little ) w/r/t labor rights

Pretty sure the thread already had the "why Hillary did what she did while on Walmart's board" discussion a couple hundred pages ago.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

When's he suppose to release his financials?

Over the weekend, he was claiming he'd do it by this Thursday

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Calling him Jeb is playing right into the campaign's hands because you're specifically not recalling his last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

It will then be left to the next President to return us to a position of American strength and re-impose sanctions on this despicable regime until it is truly willing to abandon its nuclear ambitions

Okay, so Iran wants nukes, so you reimpose sanctions on them, so that they'll want nukes all the more, and antagonizing them means they won't let you into their country and you can only ever guess at how far along they are with building nukes (that they're going to want now that you're antagonizing them again) and this is eventually going to make them stop wanting nukes because ???

• Locked thread