Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

funtax posted:

Apparently, I will need a time machine to get my book-throwin' on.

quote:

Bush later joked about the issue by talking about his leadership of the "Republic Party" the following month.[28] On February 4, 2007, Bush joked in a speech to House Democrats, stating "Now look, my diction isn't all that good. I have been accused of occasionally mangling the English language. And so I appreciate you inviting the head of the Republic Party."

That guy really had his moments, minus all the complete disasters resulting from his leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Miltank posted:

So what are you saying exactly? The Finance Industry supports Hillary for every reason except that she is milquetoast on financial reform?

Nothing, saying "no one is a rational actor is a completely useless and pointless statement.

Nessus posted:

I think the suggestion here is that a fair number of the donations to Hilldogg are coming from people who work in the finance industry, who are not necessarily lobbying her to reduce regulations on the industry, but are instead more generally in favor of Hillary. What portion? I don't know, and it may not be knowable. But a donation from your uncle the establishment Democrat who works at Goldman Sachs probably does not share the same aura of evil that the official corporate donation from Goldman Sachs does.

Oh please the Clinton's have always been in bed with finance, to suggest otherwise is preposterous. Clinton's are a way bigger friend to wall-street than any republican, and that's exactly why during Bill wall-street switched over to supporting dems. People have blinders on when they ignore this.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

So are you going to be pissed at bernie if hillary drops dead and he gets the nom by default, because they're not going to stop donating to the democrats?

Like seriously, that is exactly what is going to happen, the only thing preventing that would be the Democrats utterly collapsing.

Christ, what is up with this thread, what a dumb thing to say.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Axolotl posted:

I have a lower opinion of evangelicals and the sincerity with which they hold their beliefs than you do.

I'd honestly say that I think a lot of evangelicals are more about "gently caress the gays, the muslims, liberals, etc" than about spreading the word of Jesus Christ, except when they're using it to poo poo on the above groups.

In the US politics drives religion, not the other way around.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Skwirl posted:

I think if Ford hadn't loving pardoned Nixon, it might have caused future administrations to stop for a second and think "wait, what if we get caught?" But once that precedent was set we ended up with the current system.

Requiring 2/3 in the Senate is going to make it extremely difficult regardless in today's politics. Besides that the Bush admin weren't a bunch of dummies and covered their tracks, there's no way in gently caress you are going after a previous admin without a mountain of evidence and it wasn't there.

Joementum posted:

Jon Bernstein has a good explanation of this phenomenon.

There was a NYT article yesterday that ended with the reporter asking an Iowan to name the candidates they'd heard of and they named only Jeb!, Hillary, and Trump. It's going to be very important to keep in mind that if you're reading this thread you have significantly more knowledge than the average poll respondent because you're a broken person with misaligned priorities and concerns.

This is becoming less and less true in the age of social media and 24 hour news, along with an electorate that is becoming younger and more connected. Anecdotes of rural Iowans aside, people are becoming more aware earlier than even recent elections.

tsa fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 1, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

NotWearingPants posted:

Carson is by far the smartest one on that stage, right? Head of neurosurgery at John Hopkins? I guess he's some kind of idiot savant though.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

You think I'm joking when I say "chemo brain", but I'm convinced that the chemo hosed him up

You know, just because someone disagrees with you on a political issue doesn't make them an idiot!

Also it's pretty disgusting to throw any minority that doesn't agree with you 100% under the bus. Shows how little you actually care about minorities if they happen disagree with you on a policy point.

Like honestly how do you function in the real world with such attitudes. After college you actually have to interact with people outside of an echo chamber.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

To be fair the focus groups were complete bullshit though.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

District Selectman posted:

Frank Luntz is kind of a slob, he's right about that. I was hypnotized by his ill fitting jacket sleeves, shirt collar, and half done tie. You're on national television guy, you look like a teenager who borrowed clothes from daddy's closet

Besides that it was an obvious hit job, although those sorts of groups are useless in general because what people say/think when the camera is on them in a group setting is completely different than what they actually think. You can even see this when a lot of hands go up, inevitably 2 or 3 people will raise their hands a second later to 'join the crowd'.

PrBacterio posted:

So are there any post-debate poll results in yet? Watching the debate I honestly couldn't tell if it was going to help or hurt Trump in this world where nothing seems to faze his popularity. In a sane world this debate should have utterly sunk him but it's become pretty clear now that that's not the world we live in ...

Accurate results take a couple days and in general the real effects take a week at least to settle in as the narratives form.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

These aren't just policy disagreements, the man has a fundamental misunderstanding of basic policy issues.

Guess what, they are saying the same thing as you. But you're "right" though, so don't worry your little head about it!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a popularity cut-off for the DNC debates? Is it just going to be Bernie versus Hillary based on current data?

Probably not, beyond keeping out complete no-names.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Idiot Kicker posted:

Someone's gotta have that collage of blonde women employed by or related to Fox News.
Here, got it:

Nice sexism there.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

a rowdy mullet posted:

Bernie's rally at Westlake park here in Seattle is currently getting disrupted by black lives matter protestors, they've taken over the mic and everything :munch:

The left getting fractured by petty differences instead of uniting over common goals well i never.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

"successful"

Lol that people keep trying to pretend this isn't true.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

how is tanking two fortune 500 companies successful?

why yes, how can a billionaire be a successful business man, it just doesn;t make sense...

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

sjw.txt

what morons.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Miltank posted:

How are you gonna write an essay on political history and have no idea about political history?? Christ, I hardly know where to start with this.

the whole point in being a sjw is to be loud instead of actually thinking about an issue, because thinking requires brains and lol if you think any BLM people or any other angry lefties have a brain.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Bob Ojeda posted:

the original quote was questioning whether Carly could be called 'successful', not Trump

oh lol im an idiot then, though people use the same argument with trump

the blm thing is breaking my brain and it's spilling over to other things :(

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

echronorian posted:

Just wanna reinforce that Trump is well liked by many black people because guess what, they want that drat border secured.
https://youtu.be/hhQfUiDhjQg

There are a lot of issues the black community (especially the more religious wings) have that white Liberals are just not ready for. For example, a lot of black Christians are extremely anti gay, and disapprove of Obama's "love is love" statement. I know that to some of you Trumps plain statements like "black people are lazy" set off the white guilt racism alarm but a lot of black people think that shits funny.

Minorities in general, because illegal immigration destroys the low wage job market. You also have Latinos that immigrated legally, and in general 1st and 2nd gen immigrants are pretty mixed on the issue.

I'd say white liberals are probably the most against a wall of any group.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Daynab posted:

I know, I didn't mean now as in now but it's the first time I see so called leftists be as dismissive as the right would be and it's really gross

Because they are dumb as gently caress hth

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Mrit posted:

This is awesome, stop going all :qq: since they went after your Lord and Savior Bernie.

I'm not even a berner , it's just really funny to watch lefty morons eat each other

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

That's a stupid way to look at it tho

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Here To Help posted:

Sometimes people identify a problem and begin to make honest attempts to enact change. These people can become angry or frustrated when they feel they are not being heard. This can result in a loss of social control which makes them appear spiteful, hypocritical & mean spirited. At large this may harm the movement they identify with which is why being a leader is so difficult (it requires endless patience).

Actually sjw's are just angry hateful people who justify their hate-spewing with a thin veneer of progressiveness. Them and the tea party are just two sides of the same coin.

It's a great example of how easy it is to co-opt leftist extremist movements, say the right things and these morons lap it right up (much like how the tea party was created).

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Brannock posted:

the best way to piss off sheltered whites is to prevent them from participating in their god-given right to drive around in our horrible car culture

They do realize 'sheltered whites' agreeing with you is a requirement for any movement that is actually going to change things, right? Like they didn't notice how gay rights were done?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwhlZtHhWs

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

blue squares posted:

Oh my god. This is on the front page of reddit:

I love Bernie but this is an offensive comparison to make

looks pretty similar to me i dunno

why do people think this guy has any chance whatsoever

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Patter Song posted:

So...according to Nate Silver, the guy who is leading the GOP primary in national polls by double digits, has leads in early states and later states in polls, has infinite money to draw on, and is running against a field of drooling inbreds has a 2% chance at his nomination.

A guy who is behind by 20% nationally, down by a similar margin in Iowa and maybe sort of tied in New Hampshire depending on the poll you listen to, has no support in later states besides maybe his home state of Vermont and a few others, has a low budget campaign and is running against a former First Lady/Senator/Secretary of State has a 5% chance at his nomination.

I don't understand Nate Silver these days.

His models are basically dartboards at this point . Dude makes a lot of really silly mistakes which isn't a surprise given his lack of advanced statistical education.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Spatula City posted:

It's going to be, like, 30 years before self-checkout is a practical replacement for cashiers. The industry has to wait on a bunch of old people who are totally confused by the machines to die off, and for the technology to improve significantly. It's one of those jobs only people can do reliably because the tech isn't there yet.

The technology is already here to make it as simple as putting things on the belt, the issue is cost. I mean we are going to have driverless cars before 30 years, I think you greatly underestimate the rate at which we are going to be able to automate simple tasks and the reductions in cost to do so. I imagine most ordering at fast food restaurants will be done by voice recognition within a decade.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Joementum posted:

One possibility:

Ah yes, things are going to be the way I say they will because I say so, with a healthy slaughtering of how statistics works (poly sci's lol).

Hodgepodge posted:

It would be ironic, but sort of quixotically charming, if Carson gains support to some degree because Republicans may have hosed up ideas about race, but they really really don't like to think of themselves as racist.

I could totally see, oh, 10-15% of Republicans choosing a Black man who they see as honestly sharing their worldview over someone who is rapidly attracting the vocally racist wing of the party. Especially if there's some repressed guilt about the rhetoric about Obama (who I imagine they can't wait to fondly remember) from the same parties. Carson could easily fill the role of Jimmy Carter (who believe it or not was elected on the strength of his religious appeal to the Evangelical vote) meets the person they like to remember Martin Luther King Jr as. He's already got a firm base among the evangelicals, and once they've decided someone is one of them, they're basically voting for Jesus and not the candidate anyhow.

Well the truth is people are more complicated than can be boiled down to labels like people enjoy doing. "Racism" and "sexism" and all these labels are not yes/no questions but rather people make choices based on a wide array of factors, including their beliefs on those subjects.

There's a reason why when academics discuss this subject they instead consider the vast amount of inputs that go into how people think. Calling someone racist and throwing your hands up is the easy way out that doesn't require thought or effort which is why it is so popular on internet forums.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Why Trump won't win:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/22/donald-trump-wont-win-republican-presidential-nomination

The unfavorability numbers are dated, but there's still some good stuff there, especially the Guiliani comparisons, and the endorsement factor.

Comparing trump to Guiliani is incredibly stupid, why do people keep saying really stupid things about trump. I remember a couple months ago when goons insisted his ceiling was 10% or whatever the gently caress.

Patter Song posted:

The Giuliani comparison is absurd. Giuliani pulled completely out of the critical first two contests and moved his entire campaign infrastructure to Florida. When Huckabee won IA, McCain won NH, and Romney got second in each everyone forgot Giuliani existed.

Trump is going all in on the first two contests and, in particular, is dominating New Hampshire. There also isn't an establishment candidate with strong preexisting ties to New Hampshire, unlike McCain, who won the state in 2000, or Romney, who had been governor of adjacent Massachusetts.

Yea thus far it's been very funny to watch pundits be wrong time and time about him. Trump = Guiliani because fart I know nothing about politics. It's like people insisting last election that a mormon would never get the republican nominee.

William Bear posted:

I just got a degree in political science. If Trump gets the nomination, thus rendering it obsolete and proving that everything political scientists know is wrong, I hope I can get a refund.

Poly scis are like sports newscasters when it comes to this sort of thing.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Montasque posted:

For me this is the most important bit:

I will change my mind about Trump if he starts getting endorsements... Until then it tells me that he party has out right rejected him.

This isn't 2000 or 2004, this is an election that being an outsider and not getting endorsements is a plus, not a weakness! Like seriously what about this race thus far has signaled that being a republican insider is the way to go. Trump being attacked on this has done nothing but make him soar in popularity.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

DrProsek posted:

What did Walker do in April other than "what he has always been doing"? I thought it was just Trump devouring his support but Trump's surges only properly overlap with Walker's plummet in New Hampshire and South Carolina, while in Iowa and nationwide Trump's surge only happened after Walker's fall.

A decently big name nationally, but people (outside of WI) didn't really know anything about him. Plus he looked really loving dumb in the debate. Trump is the exact opposite he's much more well known nationally at this point than pretty much anyone at this stage of the game in past elections but more importantly people know about him and have a pretty good idea what his position and views are. He also survived a debate that was clearly designed to torpedo his campaign without a scratch (and again in this election being seen as an outsider, even by FOX is a good thing).

OctoberBlues posted:

This prompted me to look up the 2012 New Hampshire primary, where I discovered that Barack Obama got more votes in the Republican contest than Herman Cain did. (Cain had suspended his campaign a month earlier, but still...)

Did the 285 people who voted for Obama think it would be a funny joke? Were they confused? We may never know...

I think NH would be too early for the effect but there was definitely R's voting him under the anticipation he would be easier to defeat in general. Woops!

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Montasque posted:

The nomination process isn't about who's the most popular, it's about who has the most powerful friends in the party.

It's clearly not actually.

Jewel Repetition posted:

He didn't even spell Abu Bakr Al-Bahgdadi right after presumably looking him up.

There's no official spellings for transliterated things.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Joementum posted:

Except that Hillary Clinton is the most popular candidate among Democrats, both those elected to office and Democratic voters.

Still going to lose to the Trump unfortunately : (

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not sure why Nintendo Kid is so hostile to these questions. Is he always like this? It doesn't seem like a productive way of persuading people to your side.

mental disorder. we're talking about a person who posted here for months without realizing that only he could see his posts. Unfortunately due to terrible coding in the forums that cannot happen again.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

tsa posted:

Still going to lose to the Trump unfortunately : (

mental disorder. we're talking about a person who posted here for months without realizing that only he could see his posts. Unfortunately due to terrible coding in the forums that cannot happen again.

I might have gotten this slightly wrong, but the mental disorder part is accurate : http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're asking My First Politics questions at the same time you try to act like you know politics. You're really stupid and there's no need to be touchy-feely in this forum. I saw people pulling your poo poo, mostly about Ron Paul, in the 2008 and 2012 election cycles.

:qq:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Montasque posted:

Speaking of the MINORITY vote...

SHOCK POLL: Trump Receives 25% of Black Vote in General Election Matchup

This story is blowing up in all hard-right circles right now as proof that Trump is going to take them to the promised land.

I guess that Labor-day reset will have to be postponed....

lol trumps gonna win

:horse:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Can't bern the Trump

JT Jag posted:

There are just so many reasons why this poll is hosed up. I'd like to see their methodology.

SurveyUSA is pretty accurate, numbers probably aren't off by much.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Joementum posted:

Correct. I was trying to make a distinction between candidates like Mitt Romney and Herman Cain. Rick Santorum will never win the nomination of the Republican party, but that doesn't make him a joke candidate like Cain, Bachmann, Carson, or Trump.

:lol:

I thought you were smart or something

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Mirthless posted:

State universities are wasting money on rock walls, lavish facilities and underperforming football teams as well. They "have to" waste money to "remain competitive with private universities"

On college sports:

Just an assistant coach for a low ranked, woefully underfunded football team in the NCAA takes in a six figure salary. If you have a lovely team you're spending two million dollars on coaches and their support staff alone. If your team isn't huge, there is no way in hell it's paying for itself. That's a huge amount of money to spend every year to play an amateur sport.

The big universities have millionaire coaches, assistant coaches and coordinators, but supposedly those pay for themselves and also only pay for themselves as long as their operating costs are high? I don't really get that one, I'm sure some NCAA apologist will trip over himself to Um, Actually me with the details. Anyway, some NCAA coaches are making more than NFL coaches now! Taxpayer, student and alumni dollars at work here, guys!

Just remember the next time you make a student loan payment, the school could have given out 10-100++ scholarships this year or proportionally reduced tuition for their students but instead of that they spent that money paying the assistant to the guy who tells college students how to move a ball around a football field

Maybe at some schools but at many the football team more than pays for itself, and usually it pays for all the sports no one gives a poo poo about including the facilities etc. Most complaints about college football are just nerds sperging out.

Jazerus posted:

Operations and construction are two separate pools of money in most colleges and construction money cannot be spent on operations. Starfleet Academy dorms, climbing walls, etc., beyond their maintenance costs, can't actually impact the operations budget - and state support for operations has fallen dramatically basically everywhere.

The way these deals are often structured the maintenance/ ongoing costs are the expensive part. As others have said, yes states should increase funding/stop the cutbacks but the increase in expectations of what the college should have (tons of computer labs, lavish facilities, and so on) are also a big driver of costs and the increase in these sorts of things correlates very well to college prices going up.

Mirthless posted:

If the media and the public are tired of hearing about Benghazi, and they're not concerned about Hillary's email server (which, I think this "scandal" has shown, they're not) I don't know what makes you think they're going to care about a six year old scandal about that one time Hillary fibbed about a sniper at an airport she had visited more than a decade before.

What media are you watching that isn't trying their best to turn the dem primary into a horserace? Also strange that she keeps responding to these non-issues, almost as if her campaign in fact thinks these things are issues.

quote:

At this point, Hillary has been attacked from the inside at every angle possible and they have all failed to gain traction. Unless somebody gets a 47% out of her, or some Nixon era criminality, they're not bringing her down with a scandal. After a decade of heir apparent Hillary weathering scandal after scandal, the American public just aren't interested in entertaining them anymore.

Hillary Clinton is the Brangelina of politicians. Nobody is interested in the drama or particulars anymore, unless it's blowing up we don't want to hear about it, and god help you if you run the divorce story when it isn't happening you sons of bitches

Except she is floundering at the polls and in her explanations of even simple things like the email scandal. She just plain sucks at campaigning period, probably because she has never had to run a successful real campaign. Her senate primary was handed to her on a silver platter though it's a mini shock she didn't gently caress that up too.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Bbbbut I thought the email scandal had no effect on the Teflon Lady. Woops!

JT Jag posted:

And that's why John McCain is president of the United States now.

McCain lost because the economy completely loving exploded right after he said "i'm not good at the economy". His support basically evaporated overnight from that. Also being black helped Obama a lot more than it hurt him.

Neurolimal posted:

This is a pretty interesring poll, it at least slightly suggests that democrat-favoring women aren't likely to resist negative trends just due to the gender of the candidate or percieved Historic Moment.

I wonder if theres a poll to gauge how many female democrats respond well to economically left policies compared to male democrats?

She's sunk if this keeps up, good lord that's a huge drop.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

I have conflicted thoughts about the rise of Ben Carson in the polls.

I originally thought he would flame out quickly but he's already managed to make some missteps without it having any effect on his poll numbers. On one hand he has no political experience and on paper you wouldn't think he would be able to make it far but on the other hand he's basically a nice, soft-spoken, polite man who's every bit as ideologically extreme as Ted Cruz. He kind of has the Walker effect going where if you don't pay attention to politics you're not going to have any idea just how odious his ideology is, compared to someone like Cruz who won't go 2 seconds without reminding you.

I find it extremely hard to believe he's going to be able to keep his support while saying things such as that the republicans have ignored the black community. Just not going to happen, it's something that would play nicely in the general but absolutely will not fly with the R's that vote in primaries.

Boosted_C5 posted:

I can't wait for him to publish his economic/tax policy paper next. I'm hoping for some BIG cuts to marginal income tax rates balanced out by making taxation fairer and ending preferential treatment for wall-street, the same treatment Obama and the democrats have defended in order to hike our marginal income tax rates up again.

Yea, he's way to the left of Hillary or Obama on wallstreet.

tsa fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Montasque posted:

Jeb! is going to Budd Dwyer it one of these days.

Would take too much effort/energy.

• Locked thread