Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Hahahaha oh man those Amazon reviews are just as good, if not better, than the book itself. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Knight posted:

The next great "See, I'm not racist" hope, Ben Carson, is already taking fire for not forsaking all other gods and worshiping at the altar of guns:
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2014-11-20/ben-carson-seeks-to-assure-supporters-hes-solid-on-guns

This is not playing well. Even among Herman Cain's audience, where it was presented with the market-testing approach of "does his latest attempt to clarify his 2nd Amendment stance ease your concerns?", the responses compared him to Obama and expressed distrust. You cannot say anything to this base that is not 100% and unabashed support of all guns everywhere and at all times or you scare them. Either you're with us or your against guns.

Carson is clearly a joke candidate and I'm cynically assuming he's just trying to raise his profile by running and doesn't actually expect to get the nomination.

Another Bloomberg article posted today quoted a Clinton insider as saying a Jeb Bush/Rob Portman ticket could make a worthy opponent to Hillary. Thoughts?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

I think if Jeb runs and actually wins the nomination he will end up being too tarnished in the general due to the way he'd have to perform for the Republican base in the primaries like McCain and Romney were to actually beat Hillary.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

sullat posted:

Scott Walker may be universally despised, but he's got big money behind him, got the union-busting street cred amongst the far right, while someone with a bit more involvement with the evangelicals would probably do better in the primaries than a Catholic convert.

I've been discussing politics with my dad again after watching Game Change (highly recommended movie, Julianne Moore nails it as Sarah Palin) and he seems to be all fired up for Scott Walker. My dad just wants a President who "knows how to encourage business" (he watches CNBC every single day) and knows what they're doing when it comes to foreign policy (he's criticized Bush and Obama for the messes they've made in the Middle East). And of course, being a Republican, he loves the union-busting Walker did.

Why does Walker have traction? Is he really seen as a candidate who would be good for business?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

aslan posted:

I'd argue Nixon/Humphrey, and I'd also argue that Nixon was well aware of his lack of charisma and the impact it could have on the election (thanks to his earlier election with JFK), and that's the reason he refused to appear on TV with him. But that obviously is an impossibility in this day and age.

Edit: Basically I'm saying that in the internet era, the more charismatic candidate will always win. Always.

So the GOP has 2016 in the bag as long as they nominate someone with more charisma than Hillary.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

aslan posted:

Well, yes, with the caveat that the winner has to be someone who can make it through the Republican primaries in addition to having more charisma than Hillary, which presents them with a slim list of options.

I have no idea who will actually get the GOP nomination in 2016 but Hillary is a pretty charismatic candidate as long as you don't compare her to her husband or the guy she lost to (the most charismatic candidate since JFK).

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

Sam Francisco has a new mayor: a dog named Frida. Frida is a 9 1/2 year old 6 lb part chihuahua mutt mix, and won the position as the result of her person winning a charity auction. She will receive a pension, which draws from donations by local businesses. The current and past city managers have no comment about her sudden rise to power, and the Frida administration has no comment on the reported cat internment camps being erected around the city.

I would rather we just start replacing politicians with dogs (and the Supreme Court, as John Oliver demonstrated).

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

There's nothing in the constitution that says a dog can't be president.

I'm going to nominate my dog for a cabinet position.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Joementum posted:

If you've got a 35 year old dog, congrats!

Dog years?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The following is the list of electable presidential candidates meeting Math Debator's minimal criteria:

I love seeing far left purity tests just as much as far right purity tests. They're both so precious. :allears:

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

SedanChair posted:

No one can face her :swoon:

Seriously Obama and Clinton were head and shoulders above the rest and everyone knew it. Nobody as heavy has come out in the intervening years. And as you say, D party mechanics don't involve tearing moderates apart. It's over with unless she sacrifices a baby on TV.

You are 100% correct.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Romney is the comedy/schadenfreude option we all want to be nominated again because he'll never be President and it's funny to see him try.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

The Warszawa posted:

Did you ever read Stephanopoulos's memoir? Because Clinton tried to put him on the Court and Andrew Cuomo hosed the dog so hard PETA was formed.

God George Stephanopoulos used to do poo poo that mattered.

I haven't seen The War Room. Is it worth watching?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Romney has all of those: strong emotions about Ferguson and strong interests in money, sneaking cans of diet rc cole, and a great sense of shame in front of Ann.

If anything, I'd say his vices are too normal. At least admit to your coke habit at Bain and make yourself appear a flawed underdog, Americans love a flawed underdog narrative. Heck, they'd love a McCain strikes back narrative in 2016.

Ahahahahaha

As always, Rahm has his finger on the pulse of the American electorate.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Every time someone posts this, I hear the voice of Richard Milhous Nixon in my ear, and I turn a stark shade of pale.

Somehow I don't think Romney is today's Nixon.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Cheekio posted:

If she plays safe politics and doesn't beat the living poo poo out of Republicans for running this country into the ground, I'm moving to a swing state and voting against her.

Something tells me she wants it badly enough and knows how to deal with the Republicans' poo poo after being attacked by them for so long that she won't keep the kid gloves on. She's not the cool, likeable Obama candidate who just wants us all to get along. Hillary already knows how divisive she is.

But I hope there isn't enough misogyny in this country to keep her from being elected. I was talking to one of my friends earlier today who is worried she's doomed because of that very reason.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

SedanChair posted:

No they will. They will :allears:

You all are underestimating the great and terrible Madam Secretary's power to schmooze. Without a powerful primary foe like Obama she will come out undamaged and just work out on Jeb Bush or Rand Paul's lifeless corpse like it was a heavy bag. All will love her.

How much of the white male vote do you think she can capture, as compared to Obama?

I think Hillary was at her most authentic when she attacked the very concept of "hope", in an effort to rebuke Obama while he was helping millions of people feel good about themselves during the 2008 primary season. If she pulls that again, Americans might be ready to reward her this time for saying it like it is after having their hopes and dreams pummeled into the ground for so long.

HILLARY 2016
gently caress HOPE

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

Remember how vicious Hillary was vs Obama? 2016 is going to be one hell of a campaign.

And even if it's close (it won't be), we know she won't easily concede defeat like Gore or Kerry. I remember how stupefying it was that she didn't give up until every single state had voted in the primary.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Would Christie be the fattest President since William Howard Taft?

And who is the ugliest President so far?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hahaha ol' dubya gave an interview to Crowley and said Hilary was like a sister-in-law to him.

Link us up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

That was really... weird.

• Locked thread