Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Zwabu posted:

Why is Romney's effort to "remain relevant" so mysterious to anyone? It seems obvious enough that he's doing things that leave the door open to run again. He may or may not decide to do so (or he may have already decided he IS going to run), but all his actions make sense in that context.

Not necessarily. Could be Romney a) likes being an insider after the "anyone but Romney" vibes of 2012 from GOP establishment and watching his former opponents eating humble pie and paying court and/or b) setting up one of his sons to run. Which was just what HIS father did for him.

Edit: I mean for one his sons to run in a future election, not this one.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

BiggerBoat posted:

They'll just put the "clown car" candidate in the VP slot if it comes to that but I'm still not entirely certain that the GOP is convinced they need far right the crazy vote.
Putting a crazy in the VP slot didn't work out so well with McCain/Palin - or was that mainly because of concerns about McCain's health making the VP candidate an issue?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

OneTwentySix posted:

I don't think Sanders' goal is to win, it's to see what he can do to drive the winner to the left.

Obviously that might affect the race for the nomination but isn't there some kind (at least partial) reset before the general election, where nominees distance themselves from their core supporters to appeal to the undecided centre ground? So how much the left-wing garnish on Hilary's campaign will be left by the time the general election takes place? Not much I suspect.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Clintons have an Excel file documenting everybody who wrong them in 2008, with the scale of their betrayal rated on a seven point scale. John Kerry and Ted Kennedy are 7s.

...and Christopher Hitchens is an 8.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

On the question of foreign polls of the popularity of leaders, doesn't that kind of backfire? I mean, there was some European poll about McCain/Obama and it came out 10/90. Only I can see the GOP spinning that as "foreign popularity = weak president" etc. I remember when Blair and Thatcher were at their least popular in the UK and Europe and the US were rating them as their favourite foreign leaders. To which, the British response was "if you like them so much, you can take them".

That isn't quite the point discussed above but I wonder if you know whether these foreign polls have anything but a negative impact. (By "impact", I mean absolutely no effect at all except as talk-radio fodder.)

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Huckabee, Cruz, Rubio, Romney have no chance from the way I look at things. Jeb Bush and/or Chris Christie seem likely to me. Maybe there's some weirdo dark horse candidate we don't know about yet that could strike lightning but for all the talk I hear about "appealing to the base" and appeasing the Tea Party nuts, none of them ever gains any real traction (Paul (x2), West, Cain, Santorum, Gingrich).

The GOP knows what it's doing in a lot of ways. The fact that they're even taken seriously, consistently frame the political narrative and get poor (white) people to consistently vote against their own self interest is testament to that, but the people who run the show know better than to believe the bullshit that the carnival barkers espouse. The stuff we all laugh at.

That's why there hasn't been a "radical", out of the box, revolutionary Republican nominee in my lifetime and probably won't be. They know who butters their bread and only take the rhetoric so far, to the point that it distracts and divides the electorate into areas that the real power brokers don't give two shits about (gays, spending, debt, guns, etc.).

Surely CC is too moderate on social issues to win over grassroots Republicans - even without a move to the centre undermining his credibility in the general election. Also, where would his finance come from? The establishment money would go to Bush and the Koch's would go to Perry or Cruz, wouldn't it? I don't see CC's constituency within the GOP, given the prospective field mooted here.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Christie is Pro-life and was anti-gay marriage, but now says he doesn't want to talk about it. He has more of a perception of being socially liberal than he really is.

Quite possibly, but he was pro-gun control, pro-medical use for cannabis, and in favour of Federal relief after Hurricane Sandy, and is not a hardliner on immigration, so he seems a moderate on many GOP touchstones. But you are quite right that CC as a social liberal is a matter of perception, regardless of the evidence of his past positions which show him more a conventionally GOP on social isues

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Eh, that was mainly because Sandy was in his backyard; one of the house members who voted against Sandy relief, Mo Brooks, was also on record as wanting relief for when tornadoes ravaged his Alabama district. Only moral X is my X, etc.

True and strictly speaking it is a matter of political manoeuvring rather than a social issue.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

messagemode1 posted:

I can't imagine what a presidential marriage ceremony would be like today either.

E: Glad Romney is up again.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Has a sitting president ever backed a candidate of his party at primary stage? Apart from saying a serving VP would be "a good choice", has a president ever committed more at a primary stage? I can't remember examples.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Thanks for the debate list, Joementum. Could you put it in the OP to save us hunting around for it later? Thanks.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Biden didn't exactly cover himself in glory regarding the Waco inquiry.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

NPR suggests Rubio might run simply to set himself up for 2020.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/01/23/379392873/why-would-marco-rubio-run-for-president-why-wouldnt-he

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

:mitt: for a brokered convention? Don't think it'll happen. Ford was out on the golf courses in 1980, waiting for Reagan and Bush to beat themselves to a stalemate so that he would be asked to step in and take the nomination. By mid-summer Reagan had wiped the floor with GHB and...Ford could carry on with his putting practice.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Can anyone tell me how gerrymandering might influence nomination primaries (as opposed to actual elections)? Does recent or past gerrymandering influence primaries at all, as I assume that primary nomination ballots are counted at ward level but tallied as a state-wide figure regardless of wins by ward. Or am I wrong?

Additional question: will voter ID regulations have any influence on nomination primaries?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

pff! nvm

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, the depressing part is that prank caller got charged with a crime, while Walker was re-elected.

:golfclap:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I just woke up after fainting and this what I saw. Should I be afraid or very afraid?

Content: BBC correspondents (some of whom live in the US) say that Rubio has the best chance against Hillary but neglect to comment on the fact the GOP does not always select its most viable GE candidate. They reckon Rubio could run Hillary close in the GE or even beat her.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

fishmech posted:

Cruz is only ahead (maybe) in Iowa. Trump still leads nationally.

Huh? Aren't Pataki and Graham both out? Why aren't they "--" in the 2016 figures?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I liked EE better when it was an RSF and not part of DnD. In DnD dissident voices get shouted down and probated rather than out argued. If a poster puts forward something untrue then they should be out argued and evidence/logic provided to contradict them, regardless of what their political stance is. If they respond by evading the response or by arguing in bad faith then they should get short probations. What happened to Good Poster Guy (Immortan/Smoothrich?) I guess falls into that area because he clearly wasn't willing to engage honestly. However I think there are many other posters in this board and DnD who also argue in bad faith, evade arguments, commit ad hominem attacks and have deep prejudices but they are part of the consensus/majority so they don't get called out for it or probated equally.

Yeah, posting about posting, I know, but as probating is being discussed, I suggest either probate dumb/bad-faith posting equally or don't do it all.

tl; dr Probate lightly and equally please, mods :)

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Zyla posted:

oh my these are wonderful :neckbeard:

I hope that Swamp Land can manage a few election-related rants before too long.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

I have literally spent the last few pages reading to this point thinking "How the gently caress are they all confusing Stefan Molyneux with Peter?".

450 posts and 30 mins of skimming..... :negative:

Content: Do any of the candidates have any policies - or at this stage, just general opinions - on global warming? Are they are all global warming sceptics/deniers?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

FourLeaf posted:

this thread is nigh unreadable

Remember when EE was a standalone RSF and it was full of witty banter and fun photoshops about the idiots who were running for the presidency? Remember before the time it became part of DnD and suddenly became a tiresome bitchfest of "b-b-b-b-but you're the real racist!!!"?

DnD kills anything it touches. :(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Does that mean that not only Rand Paul is out of the race but we have also lost the chance for a fakeposting account in this thread? I would like to ask Donald Trump, Jeb!, MarcoRubio, Mitt Romney and - wild card - Vladimir Putin what they think about this.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Kings Of Calabria posted:

What's the alternative? Is it a WOMAN?!?!

"Keep eating that woman and one day you'll turn into a man."?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Never mind Santorum, Huckerbee and Paul, think of our own fallen warriors: Smoothrich, Do Not Resuscitate, H5N1.... We have lost so many. We salute you for your service, goons! :patriot:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

The candidate accounts are eerily accurate. I assumed that they were all cut and paste of speeches but maybe they are all fresh text. Who knows? :tinfoil:

True to form, MarcoRubio is hardly posting (and Gilmore doesn't surface at all).

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

So did any candidates drop out post-NH?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

AD&D alignment:

Trump - chaotic-neutral
Rubio - lawful-neutral
Cruz - chaotic-evil
Jeb - neutral-evil
Kasich - lawful-neutral
Carson - pure neutral (comatose)
Gilmore - :shrug:

Gimme some classes, goons.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

uncurable mlady posted:

this thread is a lot more fun than the dem thread

Seconded. Is it because the Rep candidates are mindboggling and the Dems are dull? Or is it because - aside from a few exceptions - posters in this thread come here to mock all candidates whereas in the Dem thread posters get into earnest slapfights about pragmatism v. idealism?

Personally, I come to this thread to watch Vile self-destruct in gory ways.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

a cop posted:

Why does he have to not be a colossal retard? I just want to read posts. But yeah.

Don't sign your posts. Thanks.

agh! ebf

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Joe, serious question:

a) In the GE one of the 2 main candidates dies before the vote. What happens?

b) After the GE the incoming POTUS dies before inauguration. What happens?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Thanks for the informative replies. :) Sounds complicated....

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I came back to this thread to find out how the GOP primary race was going and found myself in the midst of a food fight conducted by angry incoherent goons slinging barbecue sauce at each other. So no change there then. :downsrim:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

If the Senator for Uncanny Valley (R) becomes POTUS, will he commence an Anschluss and annex Canada?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

No Mans Land posted:

They could amend the Constitution to criminalize intentional libel. I could get behind that.

At which point all politics would grind to a halt.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Why would anything written/said about Trump over the GE campaign change anyone's mind? Surely by now everyone in the country knows Hillary and Trump. People have already made up their minds and any new "scandal" just confirms doubts people already had. :shrug:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Nichael posted:

It's possible (though I really don't know how possible) that Trump can push enough blue collar whites to vote for him to help in certain states. Besides that, it's mostly a matter of energizing these people to actually vote, like most elections.

Fair point. I guess if Trump's business skills (being a money-maker is one of his appeals) become exposed as relying on outsourcing he might lose some job-nervous blue collars.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Joementum posted:

I'm certainly not going to close it.

We are waiting for your concession speech, Joe.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Babe Ruth: Home run
Ted Cruz: Run home

• Locked thread