Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

Ted Cruz as well.
He is a Canadian, just like Bieber and Nickleback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

evilweasel posted:

Oh I know he wont win, but he'll spend the entire time throwing bombs. Its his entire strategy for getting ahead.
So what would stop him from throwing bombs? What would actually foil his plans?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper Dan posted:

I didn't think I could loving hate Andrew Cuomo even more, but here I am. What a piece of poo poo.
He made winter travel through route 90 a loving nightmare for me last year! Mom had to drive by tons of freighters with ice constantly falling from the trucks in a two lane highway! All the way to buffalo! And that was after we got in an accident and waited in Albany for 5 hours!

What a prick!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've got an idea!

If Cruz runs for president, we'll bypass his slippery rear end with our own birther movement! Except we'll be right, cause he WAS born in Canada!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Joementum posted:

Rand Paul has hired Chip Englander, campaign manager for Bruce Rauner, to head his Presidential campaign.

MIGF and (Ron Paul's grandson-in-law) Jesse Benton were deeply saddened by this news.

Also, too, John Podesta is leaving the White House in February to work on Hillary's campaign, as if there was any doubt she is going to run.

Finally some concrete evidence that she's running!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Obama somehow trolls the entire GOP base and electorate into granting Hilary a landslide election, he's going to deserve every little bit of his Nobel Peace Prize.

And may he continue to troll in his post-presidential years!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if any Democratic candidates for congress/Governor in 2016 will remember to bash their opponents for half of the senate committing sedition last year?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Alter Ego posted:

What, are you kidding? That might make them angry and they might run attack ads! :ohdear:
Pfff. It's about time the donkeys grew a pair of horns themselves and started their own counterattacks for once. They are not Obama the above-it-all boneless hippie. They are meant to stand their ground and eviscerate the GOP with the pent-up rage their base has righteously built. TO ARMS CANDIDATES TO ARMS!!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I would like a good list of all the lovely things Jeb Bush has done. And which ones might shoot him in the foot come elections.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if it'll be possible anymore to run sucessfully for president without having attended an Ivy school (Or be very rich)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

One of my professor's assistants is convinced that the Democrats are trying to tear Hilary Clinton apart and that Scott Walker would win against Warren in 2016. Can this be proven wrong?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Joementum posted:

:eyepop: Three Super PACs supporting Ted Cruz say they'll have $31m by the end of the week. They're named “Keep the Promise,” “Keep the Promise II,” and “Keep the Promise III.” For reference, Karl Rove's Crossroads network raised $32.6m in all of 2011. :kheldragar:
So? Cruz still isn't going to make the nomination.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's happening.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://freebeacon.com/blog/its-time-for-hillary-to-take-a-stand-on-hitler/

“Would you let Hitler live?” is a fairly straightforward question. The mainstream media should insist that Hillary answer it definitively. There is also the question of whether or not Clinton’s advanced age would preclude her from taking advantage of theoretical time-travel technology, even if she were otherwise willing to kill Hitler. Advanced exoskeleton technology could help to mitigate these mobility concerns, but it could take years to develop a working prototype.

Americans deserve to know the truth.
Forget about checking sources, this source needs to check it's privilege. :psyduck:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nessus posted:

Well, that would've changed a lot of things, and Reagan might have lasted long enough to start a nuclear war.
Impossible. I recently read an alternate timeline in which Reagan gets a third term. He barely goes a month in before having several major gaffes thanks to Alzheimers, before resigning when he lets Nancy do some work. Bush Sr then loses to Mario Cuomo in 1992.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PupsOfWar posted:

-somewhat less likely than republicans to send you an' me to die of gutshot in a goat pasture twelve miles outside of isfahon

-while she probably will not do anything to further progressive agendas, she will certainly not aggressively attempt to dismantle the past eighty years' of progress like a Republican will.

vote/support Bernie in the primary and your conscience can be clear.
Are you telling me that Hilary Clinton's going to be as inefficient at fixing things as Obama? You'd think her spine of iron and vehement anti-conservatism would help matters quite a bit.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't care. The personal aspect of the candidate doesn't matter.

Candidates are bound by their coalitions. The party matter infinitely more than the particular candidate because the party provides all the staffers to head up the massive organization that is the federal state, and the party provides the coalition. Past these, so long as the president doesn't let the birds fly, them personally being amazing or an rear end in a top hat is of little consequence. At best it comes out in campaigning, but they always hide their real personalities anyways. I mean, do you really think Romney actually likes corn dogs, or that Obama was totally cool with people waving the confederate flag at him?

Clinton's views and actions will reflect those of her coalition. That means she will, at a minimum, seek to maintain the basic social safety net of social security, Medicare, and Medicaid in their current form, while preserving and extending the ACA. Taxes on the rich will stay at about the level they are. She will preserve the 2010 financial reform, she will move forward on climate issues, she will appoint center left justices like Kagan and Sotomayor to the SCOTUS, and she isn't going to shred freshly forged international agreements.

What she wants has very little to do with it beyond highlighting the relative priority and means of these.

It's what Obama is doing now, it's what W did for his coalition, what Bill did with his, what HW Bush did, etc etc etc.

And with whomever the GOP nominee is its largely going to be the same priorities for them: destroy the ACA, block grant Medicaid, voucherize Medicare, cut Social Security. Cut taxes in the rich. Eliminate the financial reforms and consumer protections. Abolish any climate regulation, defund any programs addressing climate issues, appoint more justices like Alito and Roberts to the SCOTUS, resume a hostile stance with Iran and have direct military intervention in the Middle East. Whether it's Cruz, Paul, Bush, or some other but the only difference will be the relative importance of these agenda items, how they achieve them, and the competence at doing so. It has nothing to do with what they might want to do; President Gingrich may want to focus on his moon zoo but it isn't part of this agenda so it won't get acted on past some symbolic motions.

The coalition dictates what the candidate does. Who they are as a person doesn't matter.
I call bullshit on this. Our presidential system, in terms of electability, has a lot to do with the candidates personality, as it dictates that candidate's popularity and thus voter's willingness to vote for that candidate, lest vote at all. Especially considering how many PACs and gaffes can make or break a candidate's electability. And that still matters. What you're thinking of in my mind is more of a british parliamentary election, in which the people do in fact vote for parties and not for PM candidates, which does mean in that case that who the PM is as a person doesn't matter.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Okay now I'm really getting scared that my livelihood is hosed even if Hilary wins the election.

^^We basically have no other candidates this season.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Quidam Viator posted:

What's your livelihood, and who is it under threat from?
Aspiring blogger/CIA analyst, history buff, college sophomore, autistic, middle-low income, wants to spend grad school in Australia.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I do wonder sometimes if Bernie actually has any power to upset Clinton's campaign to the point of snatching it away...

Skeptically of course.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why has the thread title and icon become hispanic? :psyduck:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Jeb is running as the first Latino president.
BUT THAT'S MARCO RUBIO'S SCHTICK! :psyboom:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pohl posted:

It really even isn't close. People like Sanders, let them talk about him. Sure, he isn't going to win, but who cares? Everyone needs to have their political heart broken once, let people have that in their lives.

Should we only talk about Bush and Clinton because no one else is going to win? That sounds boring. If Bernie talk is pissing you off so bad maybe you need to get some Xanax or something.
:agreed:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Vegetable posted:

Paul Krugman is a better economist than political pundit, but he's on point about how the "serious" Republicans are little more substantial and moderate than Trump:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/07/opinion/paul-krugman-from-trump-on-down-the-republicans-cant-be-serious.html

An extract:
He isn't wrong.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MrBims posted:

This just does not tucking stop getting better and better. This election really is one for the history books, one party will nominate an independent and another will savage itself into a pile of gore and leave tens of millions of Republicans feeling there is no place for them in the world any more.
And the Progressives (Especially I) will cackle upon their dumbfounded misery! :getin:

Anyways is Megyn Kelley's career officially hosed yet?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dalael posted:

Don't hate me cuz my AV is beautiful.
...Lamar? Is that you?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Clinton cant possibly lose to someone like Trump, right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are things not looking good for Clinton's prospects? My father thinks she has too much scandal to win against Bernie.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OAquinas posted:

Nothing of serious traction. We're still 6 months from primary votes, so that's a lot of time to ramp up. Now, if she's polling this bad in late december/january, she should start to sweat a bit.

Of course, if there are any Actual Charges filed, that changes the game completely. But so far there's no there, there.
Charges for what?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nope. This is news.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I still wonder if Clinton will manage to get through the primaries when compared to Sanders. Yes populism (for Bernie) can be a good thing, but I doubt he would get as many votes as Clinton next November. And how likely is Trump to run as a third-party candidate/the establishment jumps the ship in case he's nominated as a republican?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Bernie won the nomination, would he stand a chance against republican nominee Donald Trump or someone else? Or would Trump/someone else need to run as an additional third party candidate in order for him to win?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Chantilly Say posted:

The left needs to do things that will be useful. Building the infrastructure of a national leftist establishment would be a nice start, unless you already have a plan to go Long Knives on the Dem establishment.
Have you got any ideas? I'll see what I can do in two decades...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should the democrats in general start sweating bullets if the GOP doesn't split in two after the nominations? (I shouldn't sweat this early, and yet I am)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How badly is the Great Fall of China going to look on the Democratic candidates' resumes?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what would make things likely for Bernie to win the nomination/general election against the likes of Trump and the GOP?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OneTwentySix posted:

The things that would cause Bernie to win the nomination would be more than enough to give him a pretty easy win in the general; he'd be riding a populist wave and seeing massive voter turnout largely because he'd need those things to defeat Hillary in the first place.
Where can I find evidence of this populist wave outside of my BBC news feed?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In a scale of 1 to 10, how likely is Trump to get elected? How likely is Bernie?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did Colbert figuratively tear out Jeb!'s throat? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Winkie01 posted:

Walker is dropping out

:byewhore:
The big cheese got

Cheesed. :downsrim:

• Locked thread