Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A lot of things contributed. LBJ was going to run for a third term until it became obvious that Vietnam would sink him. He didn't withdraw until March of '68. After that, RFK was supposed to win the nomination, until he got shot. Then there was the chaos at the convention. And finally, there was an 11th hour peace deal that the Nixon campaign scuttled by sending someone to the embassy and promising even more concessions if Nixon were to win. Turns out that by "concessions", he meant "bombs", but po-tat-OH, po-TA-to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

Speaking of which, what do you guys think about this campaign I've heard rumors of to have blue states with Republican legislatures go to an EV-split situation?

It's not going to happen. All of this speculation is based on a bill in the Michigan legislature that didn't make it out of committee and that Rick Snyder said he would have vetoed anyway. The sponsor of that bill didn't run for re-election last year and it's not going to come up again in the next session.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Carter was a decent campaigner, but pretty terrible at managing his Presidency. He staffed the White House with a bunch of people from his Georgia Gubernatorial staff and didn't work with Congress on his initiatives. That, along with the flailing economy, is what led Kennedy to challenge him in the primary and by the time the convention started his approval rating among Democrats was in the 40s. He did alright once the actual campaign took off:

Then he had a bad debate performance, the hostage negotiations in Iran broke down (possibly due to interference by the Reagan campaign), and inflation kept ticking up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Howard Dean is Ready for Hillary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't get the impression that Hillary asked Dean for an endorsement.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What about Palin?

There's some evidence that Palin actually helped McCain's final vote tally by turning out more of the base in 2008, but I did leave off a couple of qualifiers from that statement. The Vice Presidential pick doesn't matter if the pick is someone generally perceived as qualified for the office. Palin fails that test, obviously, and Eagleton might be another example, though McGovern was doomed anyway. The other qualifier that I left out is that the VP pick doesn't matter in the post-McGovern primary reform era. Prior to that, the pick was used to bargain at the convention for delegate support. Nixon allowed Thurmond to hand him a list of acceptable names, which is how we got Agnew.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It should be noted, Democracy for America (née Dean for America) is still Ready for Warren.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mitt thinks Jeb is a weak candidate, and he's thinking about doing something about it.

quote:

For most of the past year, Mitt Romney supporters have publicly said he should consider running again. And for most of the past year, Romney has seemed uninterested.

Until recently.

While some people close to Romney insist he hasn’t moved from saying he has no plans to run, the 2012 Republican nominee has sounded at least open to the idea in recent conversations, according to more than a dozen people who’ve spoken with him in the last month.

:getin:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The fact that he's writing a book about his daughter reminds me that the last month of his 2012 primary campaign got complicated when she was hospitalized, ultimately causing him to stop campaigning because he was flying back every other day. It's surprising that she's still alive and that he's thinking of running again anyway.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a photo you'll see in a 2024 attack ad.

Michael Brown Sr., Kirsten Gillibrand, and Al Sharpton.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fox has been running pieces on Vince Foster and Travelgate this year, so I'm not going to underestimate the memory of the right.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Get ready for the yoogest, classiest Presidential campaign ever! The Donald is "very strongly" thinking about running.

Spoiler alert: he will not run for President.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb is now "actively exploring".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, in Ames Iowa, Bernie takes the stage.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz on Jeb's announcement:

quote:

“If we nominate another candidate in the mold of a Bob Dole or a John McCain or a Mitt Romney — and let me be clear, all three of those men, they’re good men, they’re honorable men, they’re decent men, they’re men of character, they’re war heroes — but what they did didn’t work,. It did not succeed. And if we nominate another candidate in that same mold, the same voters who stayed home in 2008 and 2012 will stay home in 2016, and Hillary Clinton is the next president.”

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't belong....

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's some comparative data on how the GOP primary polls were looking around this time in previous cycles.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand Paul is already running anti-Jeb ads.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Carly Fiorina is hiring a political director and a communications director for a Presidential campaign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
She basically destroyed HP as a company and then ran against Barbara Boxer in 2006 for California's Senate seat. The primary of that campaign produced one of the strangest political ads of all time, the infamous Demon Sheep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_Ejfc5hW8

Her politics are basically Mitt Romney's.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zwabu posted:

Has Hillary had to stake out a position on the Cuba developments yet?

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/hillary-clinton-cuba-113661.html posted:

“I am deeply relieved by Alan Gross’s safe return to the United States, and I support President Obama’s decision to change course on Cuba policy, while keeping the focus on our principal objective — supporting the aspirations of the Cuban people for freedom,” Clinton said in a statement late Wednesday. “It is great news that Alan is finally home with his family, where he belongs.”

“As secretary of state, I pushed for his release, stayed in touch with Alan’s wife, Judy, and their daughters, and called for a new direction in Cuba,” she continued. “Despite good intentions, our decades-long policy of isolation has only strengthened the Castro regime’s grip on power.”

“As I have said, the best way to bring change to Cuba is to expose its people to the values, information, and material comforts of the outside world. The goal of increased U.S. engagement in the days and years ahead should be to encourage real and lasting reforms for the Cuban people. And the other nations of the Americas should join us in this effort.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One thing I just noticed about Rand's comments. In the isolationsim line, he says, "Senator Rubio is acting like an isolationist who wants to retreat to our borders and perhaps build a moat. I reject this isolationism."

I'm pretty sure we would not need to build a moat on the US border with Cuba.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Marco Rubio isn't going to let a thing like Jeb Bush slow him down.

quote:

"As far as, you know, speculating about whether two people from the same state can run, it's not unprecedented. We certainly know a lot of the same people, we also know some different people," Rubio told NPR's Morning Edition in an interview that aired Thursday. "The decision I have to make is: Where is the best place for me to serve America to carry out this agenda that I have to restore the American dream given the dramatic economic changes we've had in the 21st century? Where is the best place for me to achieve that? Is it in the Republican majority in the Senate or is it as a candidate, and ultimately as president of the United States? If I decide it's as president, then that's what I'm going to do irrespective of who else might be running."

Meanwhile, Jeb is actually running and has quit all of the boards on which he was a member.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Carson told NewsMax TV that he will announce whether he is running by May 1st. Stay tuned, America!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

In what world is there a significant part of the active Tea Party that isn't also part of the Religious Right? Much of Paul's outreach is on homeschooling and I don't know of any way Huckabee differs on economics, aside from knowing how to better make it sound like compassion.

Ron Paul consistently got 15-20% and Rand is a better candidate than him. He has a unique base and brand that the others won't be able to tap. Rand needs to hope that the early primary field stays divided so that he can get 1st-3rd place in those contests and hope that the others in the field bleed each other dry.

Not that he can actually win the nomination. But that's never been his top priority in the race.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Romney also dumped $15m of his personal fortune in Iowa in 2008, which none of the current batch of candidates are likely to do.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Beamed posted:

Wait, really? I thought Rand's gameplan was always the 2016 nomination.

Rand would certainly like to be President and I think he'll actually try for it, unlike his dad where it was purely a vanity exercise, but the his primary reason for running is that it's required in order to maintain the Paulite army that gives him money.

They feed on the idea of him catchin' on.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie Sanders hired progressive uber-blogger Matt Stoller and Professor Stephanie Kelton as his economic advisors for his new role as ranking member of the Budget Committee. They're both advocates of Modern Monetary Theory, which holds that deficits don't matter at the macro level if you can just keep printing cash. It's pretty clear we'll be seeing a Ryan-esque budget manifesto out of his office this spring as a possible campaign platform.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Scott Walker endorses collectivism.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It makes a lot of sense if you're someone like Lanhee Chen (the person Romney was meeting with today) who ran Romney's foreign policy shop during the campaign and was probably going to be named his Nat Sec Advisor in the administration.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If Mitt runs again, I guarantee it won't be on his own dime.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
As fun as it is to laugh about Mark Penn, you guys do know that Lanny Davis sets up a table in the Capitol to hand out pro-Hillary brochures during Benghazi hearings, right?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mike Huckabee's mailing list features One Weird Trick for Curing Cancer (atheists hate it!)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Republican Party of Iowa has gotten the message from the RNC that it can go ahead with plans to continue hosting the Ames Straw Poll.

Fans of BBQ, country music, and busing in people from Illinois to vote for fringe candidates rejoice.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Winners of the Ames Straw poll:

2011: Michele Bachmann
2007: Mitt Romney
1999: George W. Bush
1995: Bob Dole and Phil Gramm (tie)
1987: Pat Robertson
1979: George H. W. Bush

Ron Paul came in 2nd in 2011 (losing by 4,823 to 4.671) and 5th in 2007.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I have moved Mitt Romney out of the list of people who are not running in the OP.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I have moved Paul Ryan to the list of people who are not running.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

shadow puppet of a posted:

We'll know its a lock once Tagg Romeny re-iterates his commitment to rush the stage and punch the democratic candidate.

Please don't slander Taggart. That was Josh.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Another wrinkle to consider: as part of the Veepstakes, Romney had potential running mates turn over records. So Mitt's got (binders full of) opposition research on Rubio and Pawlenty. Christie refused.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mooyashi posted:

Wait weren't all the "code names" for potential VP picks fish?

Yup.

Christie = Pufferfish
Pawlenty = Lakefish
Portman = Filet-o-Fish
Rubio = Pescado
Ryan = Fishconsin

They kind of ran out of steam at the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The guy who made that went on to work for Rick Perry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EL5Atp_vF0

And Mitt Romney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-sVpts43jI

And Mitch McConnell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB41EISrpHQ

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Lucas Baiano's work.

• Locked thread