Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Didn't he have his own money scandal? Some dark money thing?

I mean he's probably marginally better than Webb, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Oh so he is basically Western Conference Jim Webb.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

The article I posted this morning on the Clintons' finances is by David Sirota, who's not exactly a conservative sympathizer.

Yeah, it's a bit weird to see the "right-wing conspiracy" line invoked to describe questions raised by Chait and Sirota, who (while hardly flawless journalists) are not exactly frothing right-wingers or even anti-Clintonite.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Mr Jaunts posted:

Except those questions weren't raised by them, they originated with the "Clinton Cash" guy. Other news outlets reported on this same issue a few days ago.

Right, but the fact that it's proliferated beyond that - rightly or wrongly - lends it credibility.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Brown hinted at a run this year, and he'd probably be in if Hillary wasn't. The Democratic field would look a lot like the Republican one does now with a bunch of candidates trying to determine how much support they'll get in the primary.

Biden, Brown, Cuomo, Gillibrand, Webb, Schweitzer, Klobuchar, Beshear, Bennet, Warner, Patrick. There's probably a few I'm forgetting too.

No way Beshear would have even attempted a run with Obergefell pending.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

It's an issue where politicians have shown ease at changing their position when necessary. Mitt Romney even changed his mind several times!

Given the brief that Kentucky filed this year? I don't think that turnaround would have been viable.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Whoops, double post.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Majorian posted:

Ah. I didn't know that, actually. Disappointing. Still, like the piece says, a man of his time and all that. I think he probably believed in what he was doing with the Civil Rights movement, at least to some extent. But clearly he was at least a little bit racist.

I really dislike the phrase "man of his time" when applied in cases like these, especially since LBJ shared his time with people like Martin Luther King, Jr. and John Lewis. He was a man of his station, but to say "well those were the times" seems unnecessarily broad.

Max posted:

I remember that election very well, since it was the first presidential election where I was old enough to vote, and yeah, he seems to be forgotten by most but at the time he was a real possibility. At least, he was around my friends at school. Then the scandal happened and whelp.

The scandal came out a while after he quit - when he dropped out he was still trying to wrangle attorney general from Obama in exchange for an endorsement.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

When he was confronted over the interview where Randy said he's A-OK with drone-striking domestic shoplifters, he ignored it.

Isn't Rand also pro-drone now?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Vox Nihili posted:

Only in New Hampshire. They love protest/outsider candidates.

That's a generous read.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Miltank posted:

Hillary had the black vote on lock in 2008. Then she lost NH and they abandoned ship to someone more favorable.

Only if Jeb or Rubio can win the nomination without dogwhistling immigrants which we both know they can't.

Iowa, not NH, though you're right to point to Obama needing to cross a perceived viability threshold to swing the black vote (though Clinton's strategy did her no favors in that department).

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Venom Snake posted:

If she enacts progressive change and policy because of poll numbers does that make her evil? Because it feels like an incredibly bad faith argument against someone to say they are only doing what you want for personal reasons.

On the other hand, it's entirely valid to look at that kind of shift as undermining the likelihood that an officeholder will prioritize the issue to the extent that a voter prefers/requires or even a candidate espouses.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Venom Snake posted:

This argument could be made for every candidate ever because times change and politicians will never not change with them. In fact; the reason why the modern Republican party is dying is that they refuse to change the message when before they just stopped talking about it and then quietly pushed it through then when in office.

Hillary of 2016 will be far more left than Hillary of the 1990's because it's been 15 years since the last Clinton administration and a lot of poo poo has changed.

Yes, which is why "flip-flopping" and the perceived legitimacy of conversions/evolutions is pretty important to a candidate's prospects.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Feather posted:

So how much is the Hillary campaign paying you, anyway?

They really aren't.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

The X-man cometh posted:

I'll take a crack at it. Assuming a compliant Senate, it would probably be something like Warren at Treasury, Feingold at State, Preet Bharara for Attorney General, Raul Grijalva for Homeland Security, some Midwestern governor for Agriculture, etc.

All reasonably leftist democrats, but nothing earth shaking, and most of them currently support Hillary. He's not going to appoint Kshama Sawant to Secretary of Defense or whatever the extremists here want.

This seems entirely realistic and not unfounded fantasy.

Isn't Feingold running for Senate this year anyway?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Obdicut posted:

That's not true, though. Hillary and Obama were splitting the black vote in December 2007, before Iowa.

It wasn't necessarily overwhelming in December 2007, but as Obama established greater perceived viability the vote split more. Iowa was considered the tipping point.

Also, the Iowa caucuses were on January 3, 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Some interesting names on the "Hillblazers" (:barf:) list of campaign bundlers.

Evan Bayh
Joaquin Castro
Lynn Forester de Rothschild
Sean Eldridge and Chris Hughes
Jim Himes
M.K. and J.B. Pritzker

Did I miss any fun ones?

Hahaha oh man, Lynn Forester de Rothschild.

• Locked thread