Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Woodlands all day every day!

The real question is which general got his panties twisted up at the thought that there were Marines wearing different uniforms on different bases this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That feeling in the air? It's just a bunch of SgtMaj masturbating while thumbing through a revised uniform order. Their desperate grunts resounding over the fetid stench of peacetime.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

PathAsc posted:

That feeling in the air? It's just a bunch of SgtMaj masturbating while thumbing through a revised uniform order. Their desperate grunts resounding over the fetid stench of peacetime.

I remember peacetime. Hope the drug problem doesn't come back. The bi weekly PMO visits to the barracks where they always find a dealer were great. That dog looked so happy when he found poo poo.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Woodlands all day every day!

The real question is which general got his panties twisted up at the thought that there were Marines wearing different uniforms on different bases this year.

generals are so retarded. Yes lets make 29 palms wear woodlands.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

generals are so retarded. Yes lets make 29 palms wear woodlands.

So far what I'm hearing from my unit is that 29 Palms is going to keep wearing our deserts regardless.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Steezo posted:

I remember peacetime. Hope the drug problem doesn't come back. The bi weekly PMO visits to the barracks where they always find a dealer were great. That dog looked so happy when he found poo poo.

The problem never left, I know we just ended up finding them quicker when we were up-tempo.

Internet Wizard posted:

So far what I'm hearing from my unit is that 29 Palms is going to keep wearing our deserts regardless.

Hell yeah, congrats. That place will always feel like home. It's great when your unit can just say "no, gently caress your poo poo, look where we are."

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Lol have fun going to literally any other place and having to pack two different color uniforms

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Bob A Feet posted:

Lol have fun going to literally any other place and having to pack two different color uniforms

So you mean like every Marine that has to visit 29 Palms?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Bob A Feet posted:

literally cant even

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pretty sure I only ever took only deserts to Iraq. I guess I wasn't moto enough.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

I went to Pendleton last week with some of my unit and there were a lot of double-takes

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

So you mean like every Marine that has to visit 29 Palms?

Why visit when you can be stationed there, go to the field six to nine months out of the year and become very very good at your job. Lets not forget the wonderful wake up call of the lovely effervescent, permeating scent of Lake Bandini right across from the enlisted barracks!

Is it weird that the friendly fire incidents were the reason I didn't re-up and not the living conditions?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I wish I could spend more time in the field. I only got to spend about 5 or 6 weeks this year.

It doesn't help that I can't really do my job here, but my occ field is weird like that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Steezo posted:

Why visit when you can be stationed there, go to the field six to nine months out of the year and become very very good at your job. Lets not forget the wonderful wake up call of the lovely effervescent, permeating scent of Lake Bandini right across from the enlisted barracks!

Is it weird that the friendly fire incidents were the reason I didn't re-up and not the living conditions?

I spent 7 years stationed there. Four as a coyote at TTECG. I am pretty familiar with the base and almost all of the training area.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I spent 7 years stationed there. Four as a coyote at TTECG. I am pretty familiar with the base and almost all of the training area.

How many times did you have to shut down ranges because California was on fire and no one could see poo poo?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Steezo posted:

How many times did you have to shut down ranges because California was on fire and no one could see poo poo?

Idyllwild was the closest place that we saw burn. That was as recent as 2014 I think. The desert doesn't really stay on fire so I can't say I've ever seen a range shut down because of smoke.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The only one I remember threatening a shutdown over was in 2009 or 2010? That was for the whole base and they wanted volunteers for relief and support efforts. The high desert West of Yucca Valley was a mess and a lot of horses died. I don't know that I've ever seen so much smoke in my life first-hand.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I vaguely recall an incident where some tweakers hid a trailer-borne meth lab somewhere in the training area, and I think someone on the mortar range hit it for some awesome fireworks.

PathAsc posted:

The problem never left, I know we just ended up finding them quicker when we were up-tempo.

There was a period after our '05 deployment where for 10 consecutive weeks, despite repeated warnings from the battalion CO that there'd be a piss test every monday morning, we had at least 1 person pop positive for cocaine. The SJA's office told me once that 2/7 accounted for 60% of the legal workload at the time.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
When I left 29 palms last year two of the 7th marines battalions were doing all hands formations (even the co was showing up) at 0500 every week day so I guess they still going strong

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
When I was AD with the reserves in Texas, we had a dude pop for coke on his drill weekend. Dude that's literally the only time you have to not be snorting coke and you managed to gently caress it up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

When I left 29 palms last year two of the 7th marines battalions were doing all hands formations (even the co was showing up) at 0500 every week day so I guess they still going strong

If I had 0500 formations every weekday I'd want to do drugs too

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
While I was doing laundry on main side 29 palms, some 4th Mar reg guys were telling me about Oki. They told me they were confined to the barracks 24/7 in Chuck's for a month before they came to 29 palms. Itx was a vacation for them.

vains
May 26, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

While I was doing laundry on main side 29 palms, some 4th Mar reg guys were telling me about Oki. They told me they were confined to the barracks 24/7 in Chuck's for a month before they came to 29 palms. Itx was a vacation for them.

its just 4th marines you noob

edit: i would ask why charlies but then i remembered collective punishments dont have to make sense. ill go do gas mask pt in blues until i die.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

its just 4th marines you noob

edit: i would ask why charlies but then i remembered collective punishments dont have to make sense. ill go do gas mask pt in blues until i die.

Hahaha woops yeah I should know better haha

vains
May 26, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

Hahaha woops yeah I should know better haha

no anglico bro is gonna take you serious if you read unit names like youre reading nam citations.

you dont have to go to anglico to fac. infantry/lar units all have some. you'd be an officer in h&s so you could probably skate out of almost everything.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

no anglico bro is gonna take you serious if you read unit names like youre reading nam citations.

you dont have to go to anglico to fac. infantry/lar units all have some. you'd be an officer in h&s so you could probably skate out of almost everything.

Yeah probably true. It's a career progression issue. Most fac tours are done during your first flying tour which is actually career enhancing for jet bros and skid guys but doesn't do much for assault guys. Where as ANGLICO would be an entire tour. I'm not sold on it quite yet though. I'm keeping an open mind.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

I remember my stupid pog base Kinzer had nightly curfew formations every night, because someone on Hansen punched a cab driver, and then the BN CO got mad because he randomly showed up at our barracks and someone was in formation in full scuba gear as a joke (and could get away with it because he was night scuba certified).

Then there was a sergeant who drove his POV drunk, so all corporals had to have 1 libo buddy to leave the base, and lance & below had to have a party of 4, even if you were taking the bus from one base to another.

Okinawa is the fake marine corps.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
The image of that island thousands of feet below me as I flew away from it, never to return, is burned into my brain as a very happy memory.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

This all makes me want to find that list of ways we were treated like the feeble minded. It was long as gently caress, but rang true enough.

Wear helmets in vehicles, dress alike when in groups to be easily identified, always have a handler and a buddy, lots of emphasis on sports with little hand-eye coordination. So, so many things.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah probably true. It's a career progression issue. Most fac tours are done during your first flying tour which is actually career enhancing for jet bros and skid guys but doesn't do much for assault guys. Where as ANGLICO would be an entire tour. I'm not sold on it quite yet though. I'm keeping an open mind.

Lar is chill imo. And anglico is even more chill from what I've seen and people I know . Kind of wish I had gone there

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Helmet and flak while in tactical vehicles when not in combat followed by daytime ground guides piss me off so much. If a 7-ton sneaks up on you and runs you over a sleep midday, then you deserved it.

Also, gently caress the field.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Uroboros posted:

Helmet and flak while in tactical vehicles when not in combat followed by daytime ground guides piss me off so much. If a 7-ton sneaks up on you and runs you over a sleep midday, then you deserved it.

While I was out there as a coyote we had 3 Marines die from being run over by vehicles (one of which WAS in broad daylight). The only other death I can remember was the guy that burnt alive in the AAV when the MCLIC malfunctioned and he got trapped inside.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Lol my favorite is you can't pick up MREs on camp Wilson in a pick up truck cause it's not a tactical vehicle but the delivery drivers for the lovely Italian place on main side can zip through camp Wilson going 45.

I swear the elcc gets kick backs from that place cause I brought it up to a cwo3 in there and he told me what they do isn't any of my business.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

While I was out there as a coyote we had 3 Marines die from being run over by vehicles (one of which WAS in broad daylight). The only other death I can remember was the guy that burnt alive in the AAV when the MCLIC malfunctioned and he got trapped inside.

Goddamn that's a lovely way to go.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Were you here when one of the coyote trucks got run over?

vains
May 26, 2004

Uroboros posted:

the gear thing i get. a plate carrier with no plates isnt going to protect you from anything.

ground guides help prevent stupid accidents that kill people or damage equipment. it doesnt cost anyone anything to do and the benefit is real.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Internet Wizard posted:

Were you here when one of the coyote trucks got run over?

I was. That was our deputy director's vehicle. He was kind of an rear end in a top hat but I don't think anyone wanted him to get smashed. He dove onto the floor and it crushed the cab of his truck.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

the gear thing i get. a plate carrier with no plates isnt going to protect you from anything.

ground guides help prevent stupid accidents that kill people or damage equipment. it doesnt cost anyone anything to do and the benefit is real.

Literally every civilian motor pool deals with the risk of people driving trucks much larger than military vehicles around lots without ground guides, I'd love to see an actual study that shows the ground guides have dropped the vehicle related deaths in any statistically notable way. I understand reinforcing the buddy system, but needing an a-driver to leave the motor pool and drive 2 kilometers down the road is silly. Hell, if you want to bitch about being treated like a child this is a pretty good example. If you were a civilian you could get your CDL and be entrusted to drive your rig across an entire nation, on heavily trafficked roads.

vains
May 26, 2004

Uroboros posted:

Literally every civilian motor pool deals with the risk of people driving trucks much larger than military vehicles around lots without ground guides, I'd love to see an actual study that shows the ground guides have dropped the vehicle related deaths in any statistically notable way. I understand reinforcing the buddy system, but needing an a-driver to leave the motor pool and drive 2 kilometers down the road is silly. Hell, if you want to bitch about being treated like a child this is a pretty good example. If you were a civilian you could get your CDL and be entrusted to drive your rig across an entire nation, on heavily trafficked roads.

im not sure if there is a study that could determine that given how infrequent these fatal incidents occur. however, it literally costs 0 dollars to require lcpl retard to get out and walk in front of whatever piece of equipment is moving while in close quarters(motor pool, ramp, company/bn coil, etc). my experience is different than yours, lavs have like a 270 degree blind spot. ground guides and a drivers are like the least onerous thing that the military makes people do.

in my industry, there is typically a groundman associated with any piece of lift equipment but it varies by location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You're making the classic military mistake of assuming that the manhours being used by lcpl retard are free. Every minute somebody spends doing ground guide, or barracks duty, or whatever, is a minute that they spend not doing something else to further mission.

This is also how leaders justify keeping people on standby so much, they treat labor as free. Imagine trying to justify people sitting around for an hour+ waiting for word that never comes just so they can leave work to a civilian accountant.

• Locked thread