Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I learned how to snowboard for the first time last year and it was a blast

1) Rent your gear. Borrow the clothes if you can, otherwise you'll have to buy those. You should be able to rent boots, board, and helmet. You'll need to purchase, borrow, or already have goggles, gloves, and some sort of outerwear.

2) Get an instructor, for sure. Sounds like you've got that covered. You'll be brought to the baby slope where you'll learn how to fall on your rear end again and again. This is totally normal, or so I'm told. After instruction is over, you should keep practicing on that slope until you feel comfortable.

3) As prep, you should focus on stability exercises and leg endurance. You want stability so that you can minimize your down time (which you'll still have a lot of anyway) and you want leg endurance so that you can have more time on the slopes without getting tired. Do squats, oblique twists, calf raises, and walking lunges to increase your stability and strength. Go on 30-60 minute bike rides or use a stationary bicycle for the endurance. Get a gym membership in any case. Some people may laugh at the squat but literally one of the first things that my instructor taught us to do was basically just doing a squat while going downhill, as a means of turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sylink posted:

Yep, you will fall a lot. The one thing I have noticed is that when we've taken people out the brand new skiers have a worse time.

But if you only have 1 day to go, then you should ski because I think its easy to not fall at first. But if you are going to learn and go out a lot you will pick up snowboarding a lot faster.

I tried this, but I had way more trouble staying up on skis than on a board. Everyone's different

• Locked thread