Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Ham Radio
Feb 4, 2009

Long range, Mobile,
And Delicious!
Pillbug
I am going to Breckenridge, Colorado in January. I have never been skiing or snowboarding before, but I was an avid skateboarder/surfer/wakeboarder in my youth.

I have scheduled a single day class and will be renting my gear from a local supplier. What should I know/look out for/be terrified of?
Is there anything I should be doing in the months before hand to make my learning curve/injury level easier?

I want to be more like this..

and less like this..

Canned Ham Radio fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Ham Radio
Feb 4, 2009

Long range, Mobile,
And Delicious!
Pillbug
Excellent info so far!! Many thanks everyone.. I will be renting a helmet then to go with the rest of my gear. I am going with someone who knows the area and is an excellent skier, so hopefully that will help too. I am a big believer in safety gear, and I want to enjoy myself enough to come back. I have been watching every "learn to snowboard" video on Youtube and it gives me hope. I'm thinking I should be able to handle the basics after a full day of class.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

you will fall on your rear end and look like an idiot in front of 8 year olds on the beginners slope. Embrace it.

This doesn't bother me. I have many years of experience looking like an idiot in front of other people.

wheez the roux posted:

poo poo happens, but fear is more likely to get you hurt since you'll get real stiff in your motions and overthink things. so, relax and just accept that you're going to be terrible at first and probably get your rear end kicked by the slope – it's happened to everyone who does it.

This is going to be the kicker. I am an avid "Mountain Biker" though in Florida so I guess that makes me a "quarry biker"..LOL And I tend to be a bit hesitant in some occasions and complete stupid in others.. Oh well.. injuries heal, and scars are just tattoos with better stories..

Thanks again for all of the info!!

Canned Ham Radio fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 2, 2015

Canned Ham Radio
Feb 4, 2009

Long range, Mobile,
And Delicious!
Pillbug
I did not know there was a thread!! Many thanks, I will be browsing it today instead of doing anything productive here at work!
:hchatter:

Canned Ham Radio
Feb 4, 2009

Long range, Mobile,
And Delicious!
Pillbug
Wow how the time flies!!

Yes I did go. 3 days on the slopes in Breckenridge. We stayed in an excellent condo

View from the Balcony..

And we used Peak 9 as our launching point each day.
This is my first time in snow gear, wearing my board boots, and looking calm and collected even though I was a bit intimidated looking up at the amazing mountains around me..
I had purchased a proper beanie to wear on the slopes, but two days before the trip, I went to see Evil Dead the Musical and found the beanie you see here..
Perfectly warm, and the blood splatters just complete the look.. LOL

This is the view down the El Dorado TRAINING SLOPE they put us on.. to say I was nervous is a massive understatement!

I did a single day class on day one and then spent the afternoon of that day tooling around and practicing what I had learned. I fell quite a bit, but I had a spectacular time. By the end of the first day, I had a solid grasp of basic carving, garlands, and s turns. We made use of the Quicksilver, Beaver run, and Mercury superchairs and by the end of the first day I was dead on my feet. Here I am lounging in my thermals in front of the fireplace.

Day two started with a hike up the mountain to The Overlook Restaurant 11,274 feet. It was an amazing view and I was completely awestruck!

And the view from where we sat to eat..

Eating a hot and flakey Turkey Pot Pie while sitting at over 11,000 feet is pretty freaking awesome.
If you ever get the chance to do so, I highly recommend it. You won't forget it.

After breakfast we tooled around The Village and wasted money buying stuff we didn't need just because it said "Breckenridge" on it.
A picture of three Jack Asses..

Then we went back to the slopes..

Last pic is lunchtime at the Ten Mile Station.

That night we ate like KINGS thanks to a local Whole Foods that we found!

A New York strip, A Porterhouse, 4 different types of sausage, and two different bacon flavors..

Last day on the slopes was a sad day, But I had my feet under me and even hit the Briar Rose and Country Boy Blue runs to see if I would die..
And I survived.

View from the Mercury Superchair

The weather had taken a bad turn for the last day, and I even had ice in my beard at one point.

I have never had more fun and I am looking forward to the coming winter.
We have decided to head to Smugglers Notch in Vermont this year for a full 5 days on the slopes!

Big thanks to everyone who offered advice. I didn't take any of it for granted and I believe I am now hooked on snowboarding.

If anyone out there actually wants to see the rest of the pics we took, just let me know and I will send you the info for the photobucket album!
If you're really curious and want to subject yourself to a fat man sliding down a mountain, i can link the Youtube videos.. LOL

Canned Ham Radio fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 2, 2015

• Locked thread