Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Rule of thumb with learning to snowboard is that you will fall down again and again your first time. You'll still probably make it far enough down a hill at least once that you'll be pretty hooked. Once you start getting the muscle memory for balancing and steering you'll have a blast. Second day you'll still fall quite a bit, but you'll probably make it down an easier slope without falling. Third day you'll only fall a few times all day. It's like learning to ride a bike in that you never lose it. You might be rusty after a year or two break, but after one run you'll pretty much be back where you were.

Also there's like a 90% chance you'll dream you are snowboarding the night after. Skiing and snowboarding dreams are fun as hell.

Oh yeah, snowboarding safety is pretty simple: Don't run into anyone. Keep an eye on whats going on upslope. If you're going too fast, turn so you're going up the hill. If you're out of control and heading towards the trees, just fall down. Helmets are definitely a good idea, though I haven't worn one in years and years and years.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GlyphGryph posted:

What is with this three day thing? Everyone I know has gotten through to the last part there within the first six hours. It may just be that I mostly know people who have done plenty of other balance sports (like skateboarding). Day three for me was learning how to jump off of the little jump ramps my local mountain has everywhere and land the jumps without going flying, which is great fun. I have yet to work up the courage to use the rails though even now.

Everything else here is good though, good waterproof pants and a helmet are essential to enjoying the experience in my opinion. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on your rear end, both intentionally and not.

Previous experience with balance sports make a really big difference. Both the balance and the muscle memory involved in skateboarding or surfing is largely the same.

• Locked thread