Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

you will fall on your rear end and look like an idiot in front of 8 year olds on the beginners slope. Embrace it.

In all honesty though, remember to bend your knees and lean forward more think. Don't neglect your non-preferred stance either, as being proficient in both will make things 100% easier on more difficult runs where the turns will be working against you (you can leave this for later but keep it in mind)

Basically just relax, your instructor will know what they're doing and you skateboarding/surfing will go a long way in making the initial stages easier. You'll fall over a bunch and maybe even lose control a few times but who cares your a beginner and stacking it in the snow is usually painless.

Counterpoint: even with years of experience with me every once in a while my edge catches on a bad ice patch, one particular incident had it in a real nasty area. My (poorly sharpened) edge hooked the ice hard, bit it and basically threw all my forward motion into a 90º pivot where my ribs landed right on a rock. after about 30 minutes of dry heaving and snot everywhere i managed to ride down and after dinner I had it looked at – 2 broken ribs. poo poo happens, but fear is more likely to get you hurt since you'll get real stiff in your motions and overthink things. so, relax and just accept that you're going to be terrible at first and probably get your rear end kicked by the slope – it's happened to everyone who does it. don't even worry about riding goofy until you can ride in your preferred stance well enough to go down an easy slope at-speed. remember that your back foot is your rudder, but basically as long as you listen to your instructor you'll be fine. no one is good at snowboarding when they start. no one. oh, and :siren: wear a loving helmet, all the cool kids do it and it's stupid not to outside of a few very limited circumstances.

for reference, I was taught to snowboard years after learning to ice skate and ski (which I started at around ~2-3), and my sister taught me by having me try to chase her down a black diamond. don't learn that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Being a good skier did literally nothing for me when learning to snowboard, they have practically nothing in common except for snow

• Locked thread