Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I didn't learn to snowboard until my early 30's, even though I live in Salt Lake, home of great fuckin' powder. I took a lesson but it was so basic all I learned was how to do falling leaf and walk with my board on. Went a couple of times and just kept catching edges and crashing. I knew other people were having fun, but I wasn't and was about to stop going. Then someone on the internet, on this very forum, described how to turn properly. Next time out I followed that advice and all of a sudden I went from crashing every 30 seconds to linking turns and riding blues. Then blacks. 10 years later and I've never gotten great but I can get down just about any mountain. Short version of what I was told:

Can you drive stick? Congratulations, you can snowboard! Because it's just like that. When the nose of your board is pointing straight downhill, press your leading toe downward. This will initiate a turn. Then press your trailing toe downward, this will increase the turn. When you're ready to turn back, lift up your leading toe. The nose of the board will start to straighten out and when it's going downhill again lift up the trailing toe so you're riding on your heels. Then reverse this process to turn back. Think of it like working the clutch and gas on a stick. Press, press, lift, lift. As long as you only try to change directions when the nose is going downhill, you will not catch edges and are not likely to crash. Since you've skateboarded you know if you're regular or goofy, and ride the same way.

Like everyone else has said, bend your knees and putting your weight on your forward foot gives you more control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread