Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

wheez the roux posted:

Being a good skier did literally nothing for me when learning to snowboard, they have practically nothing in common except for snow

I am going to have to disagree on this one, only anecdotally.

Once the shaped skis came out it was more obvious. Skier? Two of these shaped skis, bend them and have fun in the turns.

Boarder? Take one shaped ski.

The ski shapes came from alpine and Giant Slalom snowboard shapes. Want to stand on 2 skis or 1?

I started on a Snurfer in the late 70s. Total piece of poo poo, but one of the best you could get for the task. We used bicycle tubes nailed to the Snurfer, voila a crude set of bindings.

Then I skied for about 8 years since I could actually ride a mountain. Bumps n Jumps at Crested Butte level of stuff.

My first real snowboard was a Burton Performer 140, IIRC. No metal edges, still wore sorrels for boots and had to climb Telegraph Hill in NJ each time I wanted to ride.

And THEN... In the mid to late 1980's the mountains started allowing us everywhere (Stratton was the first).

I came home drunk from a party, stared at my snowboard n said... Let's do it.

In 5 hours I was cat nappin in Killingtons parking lot .

I took the lift to the top of Kilington, and in about 40 minutes I collapsed at the base with steam venting from by body. Folks were following me, I was apologizing for taking up their time, but this was so new that they just wanted to watch it.

My advice for the OP is to TAKE A LESSON, HELL TAKE TWO.
BEND YOUR KNEES!!!!!!
Wear a helmet!!! Folks will run into you.
No MATTER WHAT, you are going to SLAM.
Big slams are usually being caught locked leg standing up straight and catching an edge going 20 miles an hour.

Learn how to carve deep turns.

I have an early 1990s Burton Factory Prime 174(?) still in my basement. If I tuned it and took it up it would still carve so low I could lick snow. Shame I threw out an asymmetric alpine board I broke on a jump.

Snowboarding is a blast, been at it off n on for about 25 years. On a good day in my prime I could get the lift riders to shout their approval. Those days are long gone. I still have a Burton ALP, the Factory Prime, but I ride a pristine Supermodel to show you how out of date I am.

BEND. YOUR. KNEES.

Look how sexy a hard boot carver looks (do not attempt your first season)

Herv fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread