Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Gustave 12 Years Old (1232)
It's been five years since he moved to Gruegel. His heart grows wild.
1227~32 Gustave in Gruegel
Gustave lives through a rough childhood in Gruegel.

(Theme)

(Slow pan downward over the course of this dialogue.)

Narrator: Five years have passed. Gustave has become infamous as a violent child. The fact that he is ungifted, and that he is an outcast, has twisted his mind as the years passed. His peculiar background as a member of the royalty of the Eastern Continent causes his peers to avoid him, taking away the thing most important to a young boy... friends. Gustave has only one follower, a boy named Flynn. Flynn patiently endures even Gustave's most violent acts, and never leaves his side.

I'm just a worthless piece of trash who has no Anima or spells!

(This is a pretty meaty *thwack*, and Gustave spends the rest of the scene reeling from it. Sophie does not hold back.)

Gustave, look! Is it the power of spells that makes flowers and trees blossom?

Are birds able to fly because they can use spells? Even though you can't use spells, you are still human.

Let me give a bit of context here: the anima leaves the body when you die, and they believe animas move on to the afterlife.

This part is a lot more understandable when you realize that, as far as the people in this world are concerned, it's not just that he can't cast spells, it's that souls are real and Gustave apparently doesn't have one. In fact, rocks and trees have souls and he doesn't. Sophie's words aren't a statement of the obvious, it's an assertion that not everyone takes for granted.

That said, he's treated mostly as an object of pity, not as some sort of monster, so it could be worse.

In the first place, it's all your fault. If my mother was coming, you should have told me that!

Are you crying, Gustave?

(He runs out.)

Besides, why are you following him around, anyway?
Because I can't use any spells...... Sir Gus is very scary, but Sir Gus is the only one... the only one who understands me...

(Slight pause, then Flynn speaks again.)

What's wrong, Sir Gus? It's okay, no one saw me. C'mon, Sir Gus, let's eat.

(The Outside World)

Chronicle:
1227~32 Gustave in Gruegel
Gustave lives through a rough childhood in Gruegel.

Next (Gustave): Gustave & the Blacksmith (1233)
Next (Chronological): Gustave & the Blacksmith (1233)

Einander fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Gustave & the Blacksmith (1233)
Gustave at the age of 13. He learns about the art of smithery, a craft not found in Thames.
1233 Gustave relocates to Jade
Gustave begins forging a steel sword after moving to Jade.

(Variation)

This is probably the song that most represents this game's music, to me. I'm not sure why, especially since it's only really present here, but it's always stuck with me.

(Slow pan from bottom to top. Also, holy crap is that a textbox.)

Gustave walks out of the house... And we have control!

...for about thirty seconds if you know what you're doing, but hey, it's the thought that counts.

Our hero. He comes with no techniques and he's bare-handed, but he's also the best punching-type character in the game, so that's not really a problem!

Unfortunately this says more about the sad lack of punching in this game, but so it goes.

It's worth noting that Gustave's SP is 0 and will always be 0. Very nearly every piece of equipment has some effect on SP, but not for Gustave. He also can't equip spells, and he's the only character that can't burn LP to cast a spell he doesn't have the SP for. They were pretty thorough about making him non-magical.

(SP is JP in just about every other SaGa game, including the Japanese version of this one. Why the change? I don't know. You'd think they'd at least change it to MP.)

Checking the Battle Status corner of the menu also lets us see something a little mechanically weird. 28 of the 29 usable fighters in the game come with a specific Role (two characters share one), and only one specific person can use a role at a time... Except for Solo Action, which everyone can use simultaneously if you want. Except Gustave doesn't have a Role until the next scenario.

Either they implemented an entirely separate version of Gustave without his Cannonball role, or they put a switch in the game that turns Roles on after this point. Why, though? That's a good question. Programmers are weird.

This is the only time in the entire game we can actually walk around in Jade, so let's!

Gustave's house. Only one of the doors actually opens, and it's the one Gustave's standing at in the second shot.

Sophie has a really, really nice room.

By the way, that curtain flutters in the breeze. I love this game's visuals.

Outside the house, at the bottom of the stairs just below the house, there's a spiky-haired kid sitting by a well.

Gustave is not the kind of person who would go looking for your stupid crap. Get over it, kid.

And it works, for some reason...? Gustave has a really high charisma score. Let's go looking for his house!

Same NPC as in the screenshots with the kid, she wanders around. Not much interesting to say, though--"You can have a drink when you're older."

She probably works at this bar, which Gustave was standing in front of in the last screenshot. The person behind the bar asks, "What's your order?" The person at the table talks about how full he is.

This bar never shows up in a cutscene or anything, they just decided that Jade needed a bar. So it has a bar. Steam wafts off of the plate on the back counter, and sunlight shines through the left window with a sort of pulsing light effect.

The guy's house is the next door down.

And every western gamer is promptly foiled by the fact that we never got the Pocketstation... Unless you import one. (They're apparently twenty-six dollars on Amazon! Indulge your urge to own one of gaming history's finest failed peripherals!)

You're not missing much without one, just a few combos (telling you what moves to use in what order, not anything you can't get yourself) and the items you can dig up in Go Go Digger, and none of those items are particularly good. The big claim to fame is the Seven Star Sword, which has 77 attack, the highest in the game... And is both incredibly rare and incredibly fragile, since it breaks in seven uses.

And you get it by playing a game where the extent of the interaction is, "1) pick a time limit 2) hold a direction button to make the time limit go faster 3) press button to subdue digger if the fool dares to rebels against your cruel authority." We're better off without it, really.

This is one of the few times that there's anything to interact with that isn't blindingly obvious, by the way. You can't go looting cupboards.

Old lady also has nothing interesting to say. These two doors are the last interactivity of the area.

It's a store! Every character comes with 1000 Crowns and, while they don't share Crowns, they do share Chips (obtained from converting items, and Chips can be converted into Crowns) and items. It's a good idea to burn through every unimportant character's 1000 Crowns, since that means more money and items for the people who actually spend it.

I don't buy anything, though. There's a better place to spend Gustave's money.

This door is our actual objective.

Uh huh. There were no smiths in Thermes, and there weren't that many in Gruegel, either. This is the first time I got to see one so close.
Ye make it sound like I'm some kind of circus show.
What are you making?
I'm makin' a knife out of steel. For me, it's easier to use a steel knife occasionally, since ye don't have to use any Spell Arts when usin' one. My ol' lady, on the other hand, is good at usin' the spells on a stone kitchen knife, so she'll never be usin' a steel blade.

Lies. There are no Stone-based Sword hybrid arts, no attack buffs that use Stone Anima, and no Stone attack spells that cut things. Stop lying. :colbert:

(This game is not very good at merging game mechanics with its story)

That'd be hard, young master. I hear the ancient blacksmiths made blades out of steel, but for me, a kitchen knife is the best I can do. Besides, the soldiers only use stone or wood swords, nowadays.
Teach me how to do it. I want to make a steel sword.
I don't mind teachin', but yeh're gonna have to be serious about it. I am the master, and you are my apprentice. I will be very strict, is that clear?
Yeah.

(Scene change. It's time for a montage. (montage!) Breaks in the screenshots denote a scene change.

I cannot use Spell Arts. I need to find another way to build up my strength.

She looks back and forth between them rapidly here. Did Gustave work in her basement for an entire year before she realized her husband took on an apprentice, or did she just take a year to realize who he is? Maybe Gustave started talking like the blacksmith and that weirded her out.

This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer.
Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?

It's currently sitting inside a superboss on the other end of the world.

(The Outside World)

Finishing this scenario unlocks Gruegel on the map. Four towns in the game are available for access after finishing certain scenarios and can be entered once (and only once each time, for some reason) after most combat scenarios, allowing you to walk around, talk to townsfolk, and buy items. These items change as time goes on, so there's some very good stuff up for grabs late-game. We'll have an opportunity to go to Gruegel soon in the story, though, so I'll decline for now.

Next time, the game really starts. Look forward to it!

Chronicle:
1233 Gustave relocates to Jade
Gustave begins forging a steel sword after moving to Jade.

Next (Gustave): Gustave 15 Years Old (1235)
Next (Chronological): Gustave 15 Years Old (1235)

Einander fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 24, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm not really sure what to make of this so far. I guess it's just very slow to start.

It's a beautiful game with fantastic music, though. That much is clear.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

ultrafilter posted:

I'm not really sure what to make of this so far. I guess it's just very slow to start.

Yup, the soundtrack's just getting warmed up too. Variation is nice, you can hear leitmotifs(?) of the other important songs in it which is cool.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Gustave is going to absolutely shake the foundations of society once he gets his act together. The big chronicle wall of text touched on it but he is bar none the single most important figure in history for the next century, so we're getting to see his formative years. He's not the only one who can't use spells but he's the only one in the nobility and that makes all the difference.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

Yup, the soundtrack's just getting warmed up too. Variation is nice, you can hear leitmotifs(?) of the other important songs in it which is cool.

Yeah, that little segment of music will get a lot of use.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Hey, this game doubled the number of PocketStation-enabled games available to Americans! Which was good, because I bought a PocketStation to use with Final Fantasy 8. Thus, I felt like slightly less of a tool when another game came out that I could use it with.

Still, yeah, not really all that much point.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I usually get annoyed by slow openings, but I really like this one. It's very much setting the stage for what's to come, and I can see why people liked Gustav so much.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The art style in this game reminds me a lot of one of my favorite games of all time: Legend of Mana. It's extremely pretty, but I just don't have what it takes to play a SaGa game, so I'll settle for following this LP.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I started to play along then remembered that I played through it a couple of years ago and wasted a ridiculous amount of time trying to learn arts in the endgame, going so far as to figure out a way to automate several of them over tens of thousands of attempts (in an emulator, massively sped up).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, they are really building up Gustave. Can't wait for the payoff.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Gustave 15 Years Old
Older, Gustave moves to Jade. However, his bad attitude has not changed.
1235 Gustave uses a steel sword in battle
Gustave joins up with Kelvin to rescue Flynn from the thugs.

I'm going to talk about a lot of mechanical stuff this update, because this game has a lot of systems and they're all dumped unceremoniously on your lap. Do NOT attempt to learn everything now--we've got plenty of time and all of this will come up again.

You can get through just fine with a basic understanding. You will not be tested on any of this.

Got it? Good. Let's continue.

(Gustave runs past Flynn so quickly that Flynn spins in place, then Flynn goes after him.)

(The light changes to sunset, and then the camera pans down.)

We've received information that bandits are in the eastern caves. Tomorrow morning, soldiers will be sent from the castle to investigate. Please notify everyone to stay away from the caves.
I understand. Thank you for your trouble.
Well, I must hurry along to the next town.
Oh, please wait. Come to think of it, I believe Sir Gustave was headed for the caves.
I see. I'll look after Gustave.

(Deviation from the norm)

Even the soundtrack is calling Gustave a troublemaker.

Welcome to the first dungeon, the Caverns of Jade!

Upon entering any of the caves, you'll get a short cutscene. Gustave walks up to the cave, then turns around.

(Flynn is walking nervously in place.)

That's why we came. I've trained extensively for this. Now it's time for the real thing.
Can I wait here?
Fool! You're coming with me.

Gustave doesn't even let him finish the line before he starts speaking. Then they enter.

SF2 is the kind of RPG where enemies show up on the map as you go, and they respawn when you exit and enter a room. I engage this first enemy.

(Field of Battle I)

Characters jump onto the battlefield one at a time, allies and then enemies, and then you can select "Battle Command" or "Recover HP." The second one's grayed out at the moment.

Out of the stats, HP is standard, WP is MP for weapon attacks (before the slash is the cost of the technique, after is your total), SP is MP for magic, and LP can be used as fuel for the other three stats. You navigate left and right, and can select any item with a usable ability. This includes Unarmed, for Martial Arts (though not every character can use it), the Defend command, and any environmental Anima. (More on that last one when we get someone who isn't a soulless philosophical zombie.) Each item has durability, unless it's a Steel item or a Quell, and will go down by 1 if you use a command from its move list during your turn. (Use, not select.)

I use Slash on a Sidhe Bunny.

They have about 160 HP, so Gustave's 40 damage is pretty pathetic--there's two of them and a Claw Crab, and Claw Crabs have higher defense.

Not that they can do much better, mind. Sidhe Bunnies can do about 10-20 damage with Fang and can Stun with Tackle, making any character slower than them lose their action, while Claw Crabs can Stab, which rarely takes off an LP, but neither happened this turn. You'll also notice that Gustave had 64 WP last turn, used 1, and still has 64 this turn. This is because his WP regen is 4, giving him 4 back at the end of every turn. Not at the end of battles, though, so while Gustave can use 4 WP techniques with impunity, you want to finish a fight with a cheap technique if you can.

In the next round, Gustave decides to show off two wrinkles of the battle system: Sparking and Reactions.

Sparking gives each weapon type action a chance to Spark other moves, symbolized by a flashing lightbulb. Instead of doing what you told them to do, the character will instead use a technique; Sparks are dependent on the technique, and you almost always Spark upwards in strength, so this isn't really a problem. Afterward, the move is added to their move list. Sparki depends on the enemy, and stronger enemies usually have higher spark rates. Smash is an excellent attack to spark right now, having the highest attack power of anything Gustave can learn here (180 damage, compared to Slash's 40) and costing 4 WP--as good as free for Gustave.

There's no WP/SP Crown mechanic in this one, by the way, so there's no advantage to being purely physical or magical. This is by design--no one in this game's world sticks to only weapons or only magic if they have the option.

Five of the six weapon types, including Martial Arts and excluding Axes, has a innate Reaction ability, which sometimes activates against incoming melee attacks when you're using an action of that type that round. Deflect (Swords), Windmill (Spears) and Block (Staves) cancel out an attack, while Counter (Martial Arts) and Reaction Shot (bows) both cancel an attack and do damage. Reactions are more a cool bonus than anything in normal fights.

I have Gustave Slash again, since I want him to spark the attacks between Slash and Smash.

After killing the second Sidhe Bunny, "Leave" is added to the first menu. There's several types of situation-dependent run commands, ranging from "Mercy Please!" (yes it's really called that) to "Leave." Certain Roles increase the odds of certain run commands working, but the more advantageous ones usually do anyway.

(Show of Joy I)

There are four main battle songs, all variations on the same theme, and one corresponding victory theme for each. It's a nice touch.

Victory pose! ...but no rewards. Most enemies don't drop money in this game, and those that do tend to drop very little. Items do drop, but rarely. Gustave also didn't Spark anything else in that battle, but Smash is great for him right now, so I'm not really complaining.

After a fight, you recover 25% HP (rounding down). If you look back at his stats in the last update, you'll also notice that Gustave gained 15 HP (195->210), 1 LP (14->15) and 4 WP (60->64) between the last update and this one. This is because his age has also increased from 13 to 15. As characters age towards their prime, they gain HP, LP, and WP. As characters get older than that, they start to lose those three stats, and they also begin to lose WP regeneration--Gustave has 4 WPR now, but he'll have 3 WPR by the time he reaches middle age.

(The thing next to Age is a blue "m" or red "f," but gender has no known mechanical effect. I don't think there are any gender-dependent attacks either. It's just there to clarify the gender of the character with the most luxurious hair.)

Gustave also has his Cannonball role now, which increases the speed of all actions by 20%. I switch him to Solo Action, though, since that increases Spark Rate (and he's alone, so it's not like he can Combo unless monsters start self-targeting).

I run into a mushroom field enemy next. Shark Worms and Fungman(s) are both more fragile than the ones we've already seen. Shark Worms can use Crippling Gaze, which gives you the Cripple debuff and lowers your damage output (to about 75% of normal), and between that and their higher damage they should probably be your priority. Fungman(s) do nothing particularly interesting.

There's one more enemy type--a Werebat, a white-and-red bat enemy--but I don't run into it this time. It can drain HP, but it's not dangerous.

Gustave's getting worn down a bit, so I select Recover HP and confirm.

Recover HP breaks the game in half. For 1 LP and zero turn cost, you can instantly restore any and all injured characters to full HP, and since you recover HP at the end of fights, you can generally go entire dungeons while only dipping into 3-5 LP per character--and that's including random enemy LP damage. Most bosses cannot deal with each and every character having 10 turn-free full heals.

Recover HP doesn't work if a character is unconscious, but in SaGa tradition, there's no special revival spell--just cast one of the two healing spells and they'll go back up to positive numbers, same as anyone else.

Recover HP is a crutch, but it's a drat good crutch, and for most of the game it's all you really need.

Gustave also picks up Double Slash, at which point I switch to using that. It costs 2 WP but does nearly triple the damage of the basic Slash, and it also triggers the next Art faster than Slash. You really, really should not be using the basic 1 WP techs if you don't have to.

Still no after-battle rewards.

Past another rhino-shaped field enemy is this, a Light Spear. It has 9 Attack and Flame anima, and this one has 34 uses. I pick it up; inventory is limited, but you can convert items to chips and chips to crowns (money), so there's no reason not to pick things up if you have space. The bag has 63 free slots at the moment, so we're fine.

The stars twinkle, and every ten seconds or so, a shooting star flies past. This game is beautiful.

(but you really wouldn't want to live in that world; judging by that shooting star rate, hundreds and hundreds of people die to meteors every year)

These luminiscent green mushroom spores have no gameplay effect. These animated mushrooms are in no other room in this dungeon and in no other dungeon, and this room is completely unnecessary. Someone just decided that these two random mushrooms needed beautiful spore clouds and got right on that.

Up there is the Buckler, a Shield. Shields take up your second weapon-available slot and give you an additional Reaction, letting you guard against certain types of moves a certain percentage of the time. The Buckler has 8 Evade (8%? who knows) and defends against Slash and Hit elemental attacks.

Gustave FINALLY gains a stat on the way up, getting 1 WP. Grand total after about six battles: 1 WP, 1 Sword. Skill levels don't increase the odds of learning techniques--that's all depends on characters and the enemy's spark stats--but they do increase damage done.

I exit the fourth cave and enter the second.

I fight one more enemy, then move on to the next area.

Perspective switch!

Kelvin looks a lot less impressive than Gustave. Half the HP, a third of the WP and half the WPR, but he has SP and more LP! He also has a + in different places in his skills than Gustave. That tends to denote higher growth rates and better learning affinity with the weapon type, and it's accurate here, since he's one of the better Spear users (in theory). His Caster Cloth is poor armor, having 4 Defense to the Iron Beastplate's 18, and the Fur Boots also add about as much, so he's a lot less durable right now.

The Defense stat is sort of a lie, though. In actuality, there's Slash, Hit and Pierce physical defense, as well as Heat, Cold, Lightning, Light (a weird sort of mixed-element) and Status magical defenses. The physical defenses are all generally the same, except when the armor has a glaring weakpoint. (Breastplates made of ribcages are bad at blocking arrows.) Generally, body armor has half as much magical defense as physical defense and non-body gear has roughly equal stats in everything except when it has one higher magic defense (Fur Boots guard against cold). Weapons have magical defenses at complete loving random (there's a lose connection to theme, but why does a Flame Rod sword-type give you 10 Heat defense? Why does a Silver Staff give you 10 Lightning defense?) except Steel, which always has 10 Status defense.

In practice, no one cares, because the game is easy. There's no need to worry about it.

More importantly, though...

...Kelvin comes with the best Hand-type equip in the game, the Birch Ring Quell. When equipped, it gives you 4 defense against the physical elements, 17 against Heat, 1 against the other magical elements (and Status), gives you immunity to Water effects along with 10 SP and 1 SP Regen, and has Water and Tree Anima. (If you want to know what SP Enhance does, sorry, no one has any clue. Welcome to Saga Frontier 2.)

There are six elements, just as there are six weapon types, and you can only cast spells you have the Anima for. Kelvin's Wood Spear is Tree, his Stone Knife is Stone, and the Birch Ring is Tree-Water, so he can cast spells that include any of Tree, Stone, and Water. (The rest of his defensive gear has none, which is default. All non-Steel weapons have one.) If you replace the Wood Spear with the Light Spear, he can also cast Fire. There's no benefit to double-dipping on Anima, so try not to.

When used in battle, the Birch Ring casts Life Water, a 4 SP Tree-Water spell with a very slow action speed that is one of only two healing spells in the game. The Birch Ring also has infinite durability because it's a Quell, a type of excavated magical artifact, and it's the only armor that has two Animas on it. There are accessories that do, but they tend to have very low defenses to make up for it, and none of them have Anima combinations as good as the Birch Ring.

Someone will be wearing the Birch Ring in very nearly every scenario from here on out. It's that good.

His Role is Support, multiplying the power of all allied Arts by 1.12. This doesn't include the user, so it's not doing Kelvin much good right now.

Kelvin enters the first cave.

Scripted encounter against three Dino Leeches.

By the way, this is environmental anima. It's actually equipment that goes in an invisible fifth slot; in addition to giving Kelvin another redundant source of Tree Anima, it's giving him 6 Status defense. Yay? (Probably Gustave too, but it's not exactly easy to check. How much is 6 Status Defense worth, exactly? I have no clue.) You can't Spark spells mid-battle, though, so there's not much point in using Tree here. It does increase the user's Psyche (magic damage), but not by much, so this never really matters.

Kelvin is also one of the aforementioned nancies who isn't willing to punch things. Like Gustave and spells, he can't equip Martial Arts either--even once you've learned Martial Arts Arts (wow that sounds silly), the category will remain grayed-out and unselectable.

Tree Spear isn't very useful either (it's Light elemental, for some reason! so are Flame Spear and Stone Spear and Tone Spear!)--it does decent damage for this point but it can't trigger Sparking, so I select Thrust instead.

Gustave jumps into the battle and becomes usable, so I select Smash. It one-shots one of the Dino Leeches.

Dissolve is the game's most common Water-elemental attack, and Kelvin is completely immune thanks to the Birch Ring. It does decent damage and may also lower defense? But there is a lot of good gear in this game that's immune to Water, so after a while it just becomes a wasted turn. He also sparks Lawnmower, one of the better early Spear attacks, combining high speed, decent power, a reasonable 4 WP cost, and a Stun effect.

Victory poses! (I selected Punch on the last round, so Gustave's put his sword away.)

What!? What am I doing here!? I came to look for you. There are bandits in here, you know.
Oh, so they were bandits.
You encountered them?
Flynn got captured.
You brought him along too!? So you just ran away while Flynn got captured? Can't you do anything right? Let's go notify father.
Wait! I will save Flynn. He's one of my kind. I don't want help from Sir Thomas.
What are you talking about? You actually think you can save him yourself?

This would be true in a game that didn't have SF2's HP-for-LP mechanic. As it is, 14 LP is more than enough.

Why do I have to help you?
You're not helping me. You're helping Flynn. Please, Kelvin.
As always, your plan is too reckless. However, I am a noble man, and thus it is my duty to help those in need. I will help Flynn. But Gustave, are you going to be okay with a weapon like that?
I can't use Spell Arts, so this sharp blade is the only thing I can depend on. Let's go.

By "weapon like that," Kelvin means the Steel Trial Dagger Gustave is using. Sure, it has 12 attack to the 5 of Kelvin's Stone Dagger, but it's Steel. To show why this is a problem, let's see what happens when you give Kelvin Gustave's Iron Breastplate, which is also Steel. (Steel just seems to be a generic term for 'metal' in this world--an armor called the Silver Chain is also Steel.)

Steel "resists Anima," utterly neutering the SP of anyone who equips a weapon or armor made of it. You need about three Quells equipped to balance out the hit to maximum SP and SP Regeneration, so while Steel may have high specs, it's useless in the eyes of most people in this world. That's why they use materials like wood (Wood), stone (Stone), flint (Fire), coral (Water), bone (Beast) or (whatever the heck Tone weapons are made out of).

That Anima resistance also means that Kelvin can't heal Gustave for very much; Life Water is about half as effective on him, only restoring ~200 HP.
(Recover HP means this never matters)

So Gustave gets his Iron Breastplate back. In exchange, Kelvin gets the Ark Stone in our inventory, which gives him 1 SP and 1 SPR. They can be used to fully restore the party's WP and SP, but for various reasons, that isn't a very useful application. Keep one or two just in case and exchange any extras for chips.

This time, I go to the third cave. Entrance to the bottom-left, treasure up, onward top-right.

This is the second type of battle. You can either fight normally or enter a Duel.

This changes a few things. First, you can only use one weapon at a time, which is a pain when, say, you're a Flame-Tree magician and you've got Flame on one weapon and Tree on the other. Second, actually using Spells this way requires you to select the Anima from each object (which is why you can't use the Anima on your other weapon), which means it's a lot rougher on Tool durability (though you can only lose 1 Durability on each item each round). Third, you can't choose Arts from a list, you have to assemble a list of four commands, which can connect to form weapon or spell Arts. And four, you can't Spark off of random inputs, though you CAN permanently learn any technique you get the right combination for... If the enemy has a high enough Duel Spark difficulty and you get lucky, that is. If you've learned a Tech, you can usually use it with the right command... Usually.

There is no way to see your tech list midbattle, by the way. I hope you remember Reviva's command on your own! (That's a bad example. Reviva is weird.)

Duels are useful if you know what you're doing and/or have a guide so you can quickly get new Arts, and there's uses (just about every weapon has a powerful technique that only uses 1 WP in Duels, since only damaging abilities use WP--Slash/Backslash/Thrust for Spears, for example, are 1 WP and the rest are 0), but generally you want to do party battles so that everyone's stats go up.

Water is the other heal spell, acting faster but healing much less than Life Water, and is the basic action of any Water anima item. Items with combination techniques, like Tree Spear or Life Water, get broken up into their components in Duels, and have to be sparked if they're sparkable. Life Water can be learned and used, but Tree Spear can't, so you can't use it in duels. Not all techniques have a duel command; AOE attacks usually don't.

Defend is a lot more useful in Duels. If you select it at least once during your four actions, it reduces damage by more than half for the full round. Unless you have a very, very good reason not to, always Defend at least once a round.

The most annoying thing about Duels is that when trying to learn a spell, or even when you know a spell and just get unlucky, you'll often get a Custom Art instead. Custom Arts suck--they're essentially just multiple-turn versions of the basic Anima spells with slightly better effects. Custom Art Water is the only one that's any good, and you're still better off with Life Water.

Kelvin doesn't even manage to learn Double Thrust in this fight. It's kind of sad, becaue the Slime keeps wasting its turns on Dissolve and Kelvin can't connect any dots this fight.

He does surprise the hell out of me by learning Water Hammer, a Water-Stone spell.

Every time you use an Anima, you get to roll on an after-battle table to see if you'll learn a spell. Each Anima gets its own table for each character, and each time you add another Anima, your chances for each Anima get smaller. There can be overlap, though--Kelvin has Sonic Sanctuary (Tone and Stone) on the lists for both Anima, so he can learn it off either. It's better to roll for one thing on two tables, if you can... But in practice, the only spells you won't get from characters joining are the very best ones, and only one of those can't be learned in Duels, so it's not all that important. Solo Action has no effect on this, just on Weapon Arts sparks.

(tl;dr: Use spells, sometimes get spell of elements used, different characters get different spells)

As a weird effect, this also means that if you don't grab one specific no-Duel spell in this scenario (Howling Heaven), you can't get it until you get a hidden character or the game hands it to you. And this spell sucks, so this is weirdly specific. Game design!

Kelvin used three Anima and Water Hammer is fairly high in after-battle Spark difficulty for this point, so this is incredibly weird. I equip it on him in commemoration. The item behind the Slime Kelvin killed (very slowly) is a Hunter Bow, a Fire Anima bow that is also the weakest one. It'll be useful regardless, though.

Moving on, this room connects to both Cave 2 (bottom-left) and Cave 3 (top-left). You move onward by following the ridge at the upper-right.

The Gremlin on this ridge is the other kind of duellable enemy in the area. Let's see if Kelvin can do any better this time.

Immediate success! Needle Shot is Kelvin's best (easily acquired) damage option at this point, it saves Spear uses, and it also means he rolls for his Tree table, which has something he's actually fairly likely to learn. Not a useful thing, but a thing nonetheless.

"Mercy Please!" is still the best command.

The Gremlin keeps tackling Kelvin before he uses Water, so he's a little low on HP. I burn an LP and keep going.

Kelvin then spends five turns trying to learn Swing & Stab. It has a Duel Difficulty of 1. Needle Shot has a Duel Difficulty of 10. It is the saddest goddamn thing. :negative:

FINALLY GEEZ

He also picks up Double Thrust.

Windmill, the Deflect for Spears; he spins the spear, blocking all damage. Also a Timely Action. What are those? Well, weapons have optimum distances. Martial Arts are best closest, Bows are best furthest. Timely Action rewards you for attacking from the correct distance by making your attacks harder to evade or by increasing your evasion and penalizes you with the opposite, and in party battles, it also affects your action speed.

You can't change distance yourself, nor do you have any real control over character positioning. Since there's certain "default" distances, this means some weapons are nearly always fast and others are nearly always slow. This is not indicated anywhere.

Timely Action is dumb. I like to pretend it's an action command system instead. (I'm the kind of person that still holds the A button when a Pokeball is shaking.)

Then I use Stone-Tree by accident and learn Delta Petra on the first try, which has a Duel Difficulty of 15. I... I just... Whatever, okay? Whatever.

And that's the thing he could learn from the Tree table, but that I really didn't expect him to.

Here you go, Kelvin--you want magic? Have your drat magic. Go nuts.

(Needle Shot has 36 Power and Mindscape increases everyone's Reflex, which is action speed. He can't cast it, though--no Beast Anima.

Delta Petra is basically an AOE Smash-level attack at this point, even before the Petrify, and the Petrify is pretty drat reliable! It's kind of out-of-depth.

Water Hammer does about 110, comparatively.

You can kick this mushroom, which causes mushroom enemies to jump down out of it and come after you.

This will also eventually spawn a Mushroom Tear, which has 2 physical and 1 magical defense. Mushroom Tears also drops off of the Mushroom enemies, but rarely, so this is the way to pick one up. It has its use later on.

Gustave: so violent that he can even make fungi cry.

Along the way, Gustave's up to 6 Sword and Kelvin gains a Stone level, bringing him up to 2.

Gustave tries to punch a Gremlin to learn things, but learns nothing. I pass through another fairly simple room, and...

Slow pan downward.

I can't stop sneezing. Maybe I should have joined the scouting party.
Wonder if they'll find anything good?
Of course. We aren't going to leave with just this useless kid.
We need a better catch than him.
Y-Yes, I agree.

(Gustave doesn't sneak or run, he just strolls over there.)

What're you trying to do to our catch?

You're gonna fight us with something like that?
Interesting. Let me take him on.

You're thrown into a duel against a Burglar enemy. Charge-Charge-Cleave is a good sequence for Sword Users--it's the combination for Bull Crush, a 63 power technique that only costs 1 WP in Duels, but if that fails, you instead get Charge-Smash, and the Charge command increases the power of the next attack used after it. Gustave can't use Water to heal himself, so it's the best he has right now.

This does 15 damage if you defend and 40 if you don't. This is basically a cutscene.

The one downside of Smash: it's one of a few moves that has a special low-accuracy flag, making it one of the few attacks that can outright miss.

I also learn Cross Slash (2/3 of Smash's power, effective against Undead), Rotation Kick (as strong as Double Slash) and Running Slash (a little weaker than Smash, 3 WP), just for the heck of it... Then promptly accidentally reset instead of pausing the emulator. I'm good at this! Thankfully, I had a mid-scenario save right before (SF2 lets you save anywhere, in addition to its quicksave feature!), so Kelvin keeps all of his bullshit spell learning.

That lets me show off one of the cooler features of Duels. In addition to Reactions, you can get Cross Counters--both combatants attack simultaneously with physical Arts, each doing increased damage to the other. Very cinematic!

Victory pose!

(Remember how Gustave said he wanted to make a sword three times longer than the Trial Dagger? The "Dagger" is about the size of his torso. Kid's got a hell of a lot of self-confidence, that's for sure.)

Ouch! ouch! ouch!
What are you doing!?

Don't call me ungifted!!
Hah, you're actually getting mad. Such a child! Boys, don't show him any mercy!
Four on one. It's over, kid!

Are you aware that you're trespassing upon the property of the count of Jade? I will punish you in the name of my father!
Kelvin!!
My, my, what a spunky one. Don't tell me you're the son of the count? Don't kill him. We can get ransom money for this one.
Absolutely!!

This boss fight isn't particularly interesting. The Burglars do minimal physical damage, and the Burglar Chief can use Boss's Temper on them to increase their Morale (physical damage) in exchange for ~1-4 HP. They'll also try to use Stone on Gustave (basic Stone Anima) to lower his defense, but they'll usually fail. You win when you either do enough damage to the Chief or take down all three Burglars, since she can't attack--the fight just ends at that point.

Normally, it'd take three to four turns. But, uh.

Remember how I said Delta Petra does AOE damage? Kind of amazing how they mapped themselves to the exact AOE, really.

Gustave uses Smash on the front Burglar, doing 160 damage. Then Kelvin casts Delta Petra.

The first one takes out the Burglar that Gustave hit. The second one ends the fight. Not only does it take out the Burglars...

...but it turns out that the Burglar Chief isn't immune to Delta Petra's Petrify. Normally, she's supposed to have an end-of-battle line for either win condition, after which she flees.

Argh! Enough! You good-for-nothings!! We're taking off!

That one. But instead, the battle just ends. I've beaten the game like six times and I'm still learning things!

This dialogue works so, so much better when Gustave is carrying a Kelvin who maybe knows one or two Spear moves. Now it's just silly.

B-Boss!! We have no use for an ungifted kid. Let's get out of here.

I think that battle is going to Kelvin's head, because he has no problem just letting them walk away.

Uh huh. Thanks, Kelvin. Thanks, Sir Gus.

Well excuuuse me for being ungifted! Let's go home, Flynn.

(The Outside World)

Gruegel is available again after this scenario, but you don't need to unequip Kelvin, even for the Birch Ring. The game is pretty generous about that sort of thing, so you generally don't need to unequip characters who leave (with a few exceptions that'll lead to temporarily inaccessible items and two much more dickish exceptions).

Next time, we'll be switching protagonists for the first Knights scenario, Wil's Departure, which should wrap up the mechanics talk.

Next (Gustave): Reunion (1236) [Secret History] / Mother's Sickbed (1238)
Next (Chronological): Wil's Departure (1235)

Einander fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wait, Kelvin is younger than Gustave? Why does he call him a kid then? Surely there's a more appropriate mild insult.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Do you recover WP between actions?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Prism posted:

Do you recover WP between actions?

You recover a few every turn. Pretty sure Gustave's 4 is about as high as WP recovery gets.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Clarste posted:

Wait, Kelvin is younger than Gustave? Why does he call him a kid then? Surely there's a more appropriate mild insult.

It's probably meant to be "child", since Kelvin already views himself as an adult due to his nobility.

Also, those spell procs :psypop:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Niton posted:

It's probably meant to be "child", since Kelvin already views himself as an adult due to his nobility.

Well Gustav is nobility as well. But Gustav is selfish and rash. He let his only friend in the world get kidnapped while he ran away. Then when he met someone who could help, he forgets about Flynn for a second and then wants the glory of recusing flynn (and not getting punished) compared to getting actually trained knights to help him. The kid remark is meant to be a remark on Gustav's maturity.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
I find Will more important in the scheme of things, Gustave is important but in a different way.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shwqa posted:

Well Gustave is nobility as well.

Being exiled from the country he was born into nobility in makes that nobility a lot less important and/or impressive, is the thing. Kelvin very likely does outrank Gustave in Jade.

Einander posted:

(If you want to know what SP Enhance does, sorry, no one has any clue. Welcome to Saga Frontier 2.)

:eng101: Nobody has any clue on the exact numbers, rather. Like you said, every piece of equipment has a hidden penalty to SP Regen, with Steel equipment's penalty being so severe that you need multiple Quell-level items to offset it if you can at all. Other equipment has penalties unlisted as well, but that's what SP Enhance is for - it's the item's bonus to your SP Regen. (EDIT: Yes, this means that a lot of equipment has a penalty and a bonus. At the same time. Usually they counteract each other, but not always, as is the case with the Birch Ring and, really, a lot of Quells.)

Also, that magic sparking. :argh: I swear, if you manage to spark Soul Hymn before the endgame...

dis astranagant posted:

You recover a few every turn. Pretty sure Gustave's 4 is about as high as WP recovery gets.

One character gets 5 WP/turn. That one character is available in all of two battles, maybe. Welcome to SaGa Frontier 2.

It's worth noting, though, that WP Regen isn't tied to equipment like SP Regen is; rather, it's a direct result of the character's age (in relation to their "prime", which I'm pretty sure is in their 20s somewhere) and prowess, and won't change for any reason while you're in a single scenario. Whatever WP Regen you have is the WP Regen you keep, and that plays a big part in the game's judgement on who is better in a more physically-oriented build versus magically.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 18, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Except that SP regen is a total non-issue if you equip your dudes right, except for maybe the final battle, making magic and hybrid arts far more reliable. But I'm sure that'll come up next update.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

dis astranagant posted:

Except that SP regen is a total non-issue if you equip your dudes right, except for maybe the final battle, making magic and hybrid arts far more reliable. But I'm sure that'll come up next update.

I thought some characters were made so they are better at physical stuff and others at magic? Am i wrong?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sramaker posted:

I thought some characters were made so they are better at physical stuff and others at magic? Am i wrong?

That was the intent, though most of the magic focused guys still have a decent weapon skill to fall back on. I'll let the OP cover why they didn't really accomplish what they were trying to do.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Well Gustav is nobility as well. But Gustav is selfish and rash. He let his only friend in the world get kidnapped while he ran away. Then when he met someone who could help, he forgets about Flynn for a second and then wants the glory of recusing flynn (and not getting punished) compared to getting actually trained knights to help him. The kid remark is meant to be a remark on Gustav's maturity.

Actually, I think they're going more for irony on several levels with Kelvin's "kid" comments.

Gustave runs from the Bandits because he knows he can't win (or can't be sure of victory), and identifies what he needs to do the job. Gustave says the right words to get Kelvin to cooperate, even if thinks he's doing it for his own reasons... And then the moment that's over with, he drops the polite act and ditches him in the caves.

One of the two gets what they wants there, and it isn't Kelvin.

KataraniSword posted:

:eng101: Nobody has any clue on the exact numbers, rather. Like you said, every piece of equipment has a hidden penalty to SP Regen, with Steel equipment's penalty being so severe that you need multiple Quell-level items to offset it if you can at all. Other equipment has penalties unlisted as well, but that's what SP Enhance is for - it's the item's bonus to your SP Regen. (EDIT: Yes, this means that a lot of equipment has a penalty and a bonus. At the same time. Usually they counteract each other, but not always, as is the case with the Birch Ring and, really, a lot of Quells.)

The thing is, SP Enhance doesn't seem to affect that predictably. There's a general correlation, sure, but looking at the item list, the Fire Beast Skin and Protector are both 3 SP Enhance, but they both add 0 SP and 0 SP regen. So sure, the Stardust Robe may have the highest SP Enhance (5) and also the best SP/SPR bonuses (20/2), but is that just a coincidence?

It may just denote that the armor has especially good bonuses somewhere, since the Fire Beast Skin has 43 Heat defense, the Protector has surprisingly high defenses in two of the three physicals, and the Stardust Robe is just generally amazing.

KataraniSword posted:

Also, that magic sparking. :argh: I swear, if you manage to spark Soul Hymn before the endgame...

It basically isn't learnable before said endgame, due to who learns it. (Why the hell does Kelvin have it on his learnable list?) Though you could make a heroic but ultimately futile effort in the second generation, if that's your thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isn't SP Enhance for that magic defense bonus based on your current SP?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So we've basically proven Einhander right, in that none of us can seem to actually agree on what SP Enhance does. :pseudo: Science has been done today!

Einander posted:

It basically isn't learnable before said endgame, due to who learns it. (Why the hell does Kelvin have it on his learnable list?) Though you could make a heroic but ultimately futile effort in the second generation, if that's your thing.

There are a few things in SGF2's coding that whose existence I will never understand. The monster tables are one of them, the list of people who can theoretically spark Soul Hymn is another. I can only assume, given how lackluster the spell itself is, that the spark rate got hideously bugged, and that it was meant to be a mid-level spell instead of harder to learn than loving Reviva.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, speaking of bugs!

:downs: Coding in SGF2, part 1:

Never use Cross Slash unless you're fighting undead, ever. Why not?

Cross Slash's spark table got placed in the wrong spot. Instead of Cross Slash sparking skills, Double Slash sparks all of the skills it's meant to spark and all of the skills Cross Slash is meant to spark.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 18, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, it is technically the only multitarget heal in the game. The stat boost is about as pointless as any other, though.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I always saw "timely action" as "time/y action" and would hit the left face button (square) out of my SNES reflex.

SaGa Frontier, where if you don't understand the mechanics you're certainly doomed. And if you do understand the mechanics, you're merely probably doomed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FeyerbrandX posted:

I always saw "timely action" as "time/y action" and would hit the left face button (square) out of my SNES reflex.

SaGa Frontier, where if you don't understand the mechanics you're certainly doomed. And if you do understand the mechanics, you're merely probably doomed.

It's the same here, they just give you a few dozen hours to get complacent.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Einander posted:

After a fight, you recover 25% HP (rounding down). If you look back at his stats in the last update, you'll also notice that Gustave gained 15 HP (195->210), 1 LP (14->15) and 4 WP (60->64) between the last update and this one. This is because his age has also increased from 13 to 15. As characters age towards their prime, they gain HP, LP, and WP. As characters get older than that, they start to lose those three stats, and they also begin to lose WP regeneration--Gustave has 4 WPR now, but he'll have 3 WPR by the time he reaches middle age.

I assume there is a limit to how old a character can get in each scenario, right? It would be silly to die of old age in the first one if you grind enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

I assume there is a limit to how old a character can get in each scenario, right? It would be silly to die of old age in the first one if you grind enough.

Age is literal calendar age. It happens between scenarios, rarely during them.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Einander posted:

(Proof of Joy I)

This soundtrack, man. It finds the weirdest words.
I had to look this up, and Freudenbezeugung is an even older word than that altar one, last used in like the 18th century and only found in official and upper-class usage. Google mostly brings it up in certificates or deeds relating to marriages, inaugurations and the like. Bezeigung, now, is an even rarer variation of Bezeugung.

Translation got pretty close, though it's more of a display / demonstration of joy than a proof.

Oh and "Feldschlacht" is more of a field battle. Battlefield would be "Schlachtfeld". It fits either way, though. :v:

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

One character gets 5 WP/turn. That one character is available in all of two battles, maybe. Welcome to SaGa Frontier 2.
Actually, I THINK there is a character that has 6 WP regen, but she's only available for one scenario.

I could be wrong, though. It may just be the equipment she comes with, or it was because of the equipment I gave her. It's been years since I last played the game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sketchie posted:

Actually, I THINK there is a character that has 6 WP regen, but she's only available for one scenario.

I could be wrong, though. It may just be the equipment she comes with, or it was because of the equipment I gave her. It's been years since I last played the game.

It's the same character I'm thinking of. We'll see when the LP gets there if she has 5 or 6 WP.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

It's the same character I'm thinking of. We'll see when the LP gets there if she has 5 or 6 WP.

How does LP affect WP?

who's on first :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shwqa posted:

How does LP affect WP?

If you're out of WP you can still use arts by spending LP.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shwqa posted:

How does LP affect WP?

Well, you see, "Update" costs 1 WP, so if you run out of WP, your LP misses updates. Too many updates missed and your LP is dead for good. :v:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
About Gustave's Trial Dagger and his ideal sword:
Gustave states that his ideal sword will be three times the size of Trial Dagger. Because the sprite of TD grows and shrinks inconsistently between field and duel, we have to use some guesswork to figure out its actual size. Assuming that SF2 is following anime rules, which is reasonable, and using the maximum parameters of such;
A) We assume that the ideal sword is analogous in size to Dragonslayer, Gut's sword, which is 7ft/214cm in total length. Therefore Trial Dagger is 2ft4in/71cm in total length, which is more like a goddamned Roman Gladius than some plinky dagger. Pretty good work for a new blacksmith!
B) We assume that the Trial Dagger is an actual dagger, albeit a long one. Using the Roman Pugio as an example, TD is roughly 16in/40cm in length, making the ideal sword a much less anime 4ft/121cm in total length, which is a regular old longsword. Much less awesome.
This is the kind of poo poo that this game made me idly wonder about when I was young.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kulkasha posted:

About Gustave's Trial Dagger and his ideal sword:
Gustave states that his ideal sword will be three times the size of Trial Dagger. Because the sprite of TD grows and shrinks inconsistently between field and duel, we have to use some guesswork to figure out its actual size. Assuming that SF2 is following anime rules, which is reasonable, and using the maximum parameters of such;
A) We assume that the ideal sword is analogous in size to Dragonslayer, Gut's sword, which is 7ft/214cm in total length. Therefore Trial Dagger is 2ft4in/71cm in total length, which is more like a goddamned Roman Gladius than some plinky dagger. Pretty good work for a new blacksmith!
B) We assume that the Trial Dagger is an actual dagger, albeit a long one. Using the Roman Pugio as an example, TD is roughly 16in/40cm in length, making the ideal sword a much less anime 4ft/121cm in total length, which is a regular old longsword. Much less awesome.
This is the kind of poo poo that this game made me idly wonder about when I was young.

In a SaGa game, always assume the more anime outcome. This is a series known for laughing in the face of anything logic.

Besides, I've seen some games classify the gladius as a dagger. Those games are wrong, but. :shrug:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Those games are wrong, but. :shrug:

When FFVI calls the full powered Atma Weapon a sword, a Gladius could be compared to a butter knife.

As for Gustave's sword, I'll wait til its shown before commenting beyond "drat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

For those keeping track of the update schedule, the Wil's Departure update is tomorrow. I'm introducing most of the rest of the mechanics, so it'll be in two parts over two consecutive days.

I do intend to get sprites of Gustave's swords for comparison later, since I've personally never done more than eyeball them. I'll have the screenshots anyway, so why not?

• Locked thread