Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Good old South Moundtop. :bang:

I never actually finished the game, last dungeon kicked my rear end too. That, and realizing I missed some awesome Quells because sidequests hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

vilkacis posted:

Is it worse than "Roof of Riovanes Castle"?

As someone who's done both, yes it's so much worse. At least with Riovanes you can prepare. South Moundtop is banging your head against a brick wall until either it or you cracks. :shepicide:

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

dis astranagant posted:

IIRC if you take the other path she'll marry Wil off screen and live to triple digit age.

While Will becomes an absolute dick in his middle age. Really, it's probably kinder to kill her off. :colbert:

But honestly, I forgot this could happen. I kept thinking of a different event with the Knights Family when people were talking about this. The egg sucks. :(

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

CmdrKing posted:

Well, there's some other options, like "You were dead as soon as you entered this room" and variants thereof, but not many that involve Phillipe being alive at the end of all this.

Honestly, with how self-loathing Gustave is, I wouldn't be surprised if the variants he was thinking of involved himself not being alive. The war between Gustave XIII and XIV was presented as a succession crisis. What's one more? Phillipe is a valid heir after Gus.

That's how it always looked to me anyways, that Gustave was giving his brother a free chance at his head.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Einander posted:

Think about what they're telling us by putting Wil here.

Gustave's always had a simmering anger underneath his skin, and that assassin took away a family he'd spent a long time without just as they were beginning to truly reconcile. To him, this is personal. The Anima Faith may be mostly harmless and mostly innocent, but he's making a point: gently caress with him or his family and you will burn.

The Egg may be quite dangerous, but they don't reveal its presence until Wil's already run past rooms and rooms of innocents. There's some time pressure, true, but he doesn't so much as lift a hand to help... And when the Egg does show itself, he drops all pretense.

It says something about a character when they're being compared to a mass murderer and coming off as less sympathetic.

I always saw Tycoon Wil as a turning point. Up until then, Wil is the plucky heroic adventurer who scrapes by and finds the magnificent treasures. Then you get shown exactly what happens when you don't treat Quells with the proper respect. By someone else named Wil, no less. So you think that here's this perfect object lesson that keeps your protagonist humble.

And nope! Wil becomes so obsessed with the Egg that he'll easily run past screaming civilians about to be slaughtered, only caring if they have the Egg or not. The passage of time: your hero becomes an rear end in a top hat.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Einander posted:

(Interlude)

Saga Frontier 2 is a drat big soundtrack, and of all the songs in the game, this is the most underutilized; even if you've played the game, odds are you haven't heard more than 30 seconds of it.

You know what I like about the song? It's cheerful, but something about it feels like it's trying way too drat hard.

There really is something frantic about this song.

I think it's kind of interesting how despite trying to avoid the egg most of his life, in the end Rich makes sure to take it down with him. Contrasting his father, who went after it at every chance and did not in fact go down with the ship.

I really like Rich as a foil to Will, and as the middle generation of the Knights family. Maybe it's due to the smaller parties, especially when you go down to just him, but his scenarios seem more personal than Will's or the third gen. More like the early Gustave action chapters really.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Seiren posted:

Speaking of all that, I wonder if Wil will somehow "know" that this happens. I'd expect that if he did know what was happening, Wil would be very proud of his son for...in a sense, "continuing" his life's work in locating and disabling, removing, or destroying the Egg so its dangerous powers can't be wielded.

Considering Rich sent Diana off suddenly with instructions to ask his dad about the egg, it's a pretty good bet that Will knows exactly what happened when his son never came back.

And even if he is still walking around, he's not Rich anymore. :smith:

Ayana fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 19, 2015

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
For some reason I had the order of Edelritter and Fake Gustave Appears switched around in my head, and thought that Sargon found the Egg here and became Fake Gustave. It doesn't help that the events are a year apart and they both have white hair. :downs:

I kept wondering how the hell the Egg ended up in the Slime Room. Because Fake Gustave brought it with him, of course.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
I love Ginny's party. :allears:

It's like prime JRPG, all these teenagers with something to prove. And they make it work.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Einander posted:

It's almost time for South Moundtop.

:shepicide:

South Moundtop has got to be one of the most obtuse and luck based things in videogaming ever. It's like pinnacle SaGa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
"Defeat Gustave" is one hell of a win condition. It's also the one I took, because I didn't get how to do the '5-day fighting retreat' correctly.

You've seen how hard it is to stall. I tried and tried, and always lost at the end, either to losing David or the base. Sometimes, "gently caress it, I'm just gonna throw all my units face first into certain death until I win" is the way to go. At least then your losses go quicker. :suicide:

• Locked thread