Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hey we have an LG tv does this mean i have bullshit smart thing too? i paid practically nothing for said tv :laugh: it only have TWO hdmi inputs !:newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

surely all these get returned right??

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

duTrieux. posted:

have you tried LG Smart TVs with webOS, op? they feature Bean Bird for easy setup and the Magic Remote for effortless navigation

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 392 days!
lmfao why would you ever want to put webos on a tv

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

wesley snypes posted:

lmfao why would you ever want to put an os on a tv

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 392 days!
webos was outdated when it was released, never mind now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my tv isn't smart it's like a year before all that poo poo started becoming standard. but I have to use a PS3 for Netflix until I get my prime dingle

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Bloody posted:

60 inches of plasma :smugmrgw:

65" panasonic vt60, one of the best tvs ever made (so far). owned

also you can turn those ads off op

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

lol if you use your TV or gaming console to browse the internet

is there Netflix in nZ?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

theadder posted:

surely all these get returned right??

you can turn them off but its on by default

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

65" panasonic vt60, one of the best tvs ever made (so far). owned

also you can turn those ads off op

it's ok because you can turn them off. lol. sounds like something a democrat would say

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
it's really smart if u think about it. most ppl won't try to disable it they'll just think it's time warner or something. lol

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
on the one hand that's obviously evil

but on the other hand, since most people won't disable it, i can totally disable it and the company won't care enough to try any harder at annoying me

so yeah pretty smart on their part

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PuTTY riot posted:

it's ok because you can turn them off. lol. sounds like something a democrat would say

im not going to buy literally the best display you can get because it has something annoying you can turn off and never see again. lol. sounds like something a complete retard would say

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
plasma displays are garbage anyway lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

im not going to buy literally the best display you can get because it has something annoying you can turn off and never see again. lol. sounds like something a complete retard would say

no grandma you idiot the ads are coming from the TV itself don't you read cnet??

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I want a dlp but I don't think they make them anymore and also I already have a tv

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

it's really smart if u think about it. most ppl won't try to disable it they'll just think it's time warner or something. lol

I have one of the tvs in question. the smartness for me really just means there's a netflix button on he remote but the app is so loving unbearably slow and clunky that everyone just uses the computer to do it except my mom with alZheimers and she uses the app and manages ok which is pretty surprising given the state of her brain.

overall I like it, good picture quality n stuff I guess. when I was looking at tvs I couldn't find decent ones that didn't have smart tv stuff on them so whatever

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have the panasonic plasma. that was rated BEST on CNET 2013

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

i have the panasonic plasma. that was rated BEST on CNET 2013

:bravo: to the savvy consumer over here everybody

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like I think it has hulu and YouTube and stuff but the ui for all of them is just unbelievably bad

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

wesley snypes posted:

webos was outdated when it was released, never mind now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:rip:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Silver Alicorn posted:

only if you have a cat6 drop in your laundry

i wish; all these smart fridges and washers only have a crappy 2.4 GHz only wifi that you have to disable your WPA2 encryption to use

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
smart tv, huh? heh, i don't even own a smart :smuggo:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

~Coxy posted:

i wish; all these smart fridges and washers only have a crappy 2.4 GHz only wifi that you have to disable your WPA2 encryption to use

there's a smart laundry appliance?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it'd be cool to get an email when the dryer finished

if I wasn't one room away from the laundry anyway

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

some fuckers are prepared for this eventuality :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Carter posted:

I know this gets posted about once a month in YVCPOS but is it possible to just get a goddamn screen with zero features without paying through the nose for 'digital signage' models?

I did this. $400 for a 40" 1080p
and the default setting is no features. u can do a few colour things but that's it

it's a mish mash brand the warehouse in nz makes from other manufacturers parts so the 39" might be totally different from the 40"
but I am very pleased with lack of bleeding at edge and viewing angle well it's like looking at a painting in that regard I'm very very pleased for $400

can't remember name

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PuTTY riot posted:

is there Netflix in nZ?

u can use torrents

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

who asked about netflix in NZ? I signed up to an American account and a kind yosposter showed me how to trick the appleTVs into allowing the netflix app to work in NZ using network trickery plus my ISp doesn't block the DNS so it's Frickin sweet

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

u can use torrents

haha great minds reply alike :smugmrgw::hf::smugmrgw:

but I don't torrent because I am not a common criminal whose meta data will only compromise them :chord:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
torrents don't contain metadata

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

heh

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

its funny how yospos cant talk about entertainment without talking about adblock and :filez:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hail adblock

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

pagancow posted:

its funny how yospos cant talk about entertainment without talking about adblock and :filez:

they dont even own a tv!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

yeah, it's weird. sorta like people pathologically hate advertising

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:smugmrgw:

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

yeah, it's weird. sorta like people pathologically hate advertising

i know a guy that works for the local cable company that claims that little over half the viewers that watch recorded shows still watch the ads even though they could FFWD through them, lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

newreply.php posted:

i know a guy that works for the local cable company that claims that little over half the viewers that watch recorded shows still watch the ads even though they could FFWD through them, lmbo

well god bless them, they're the reason people keep paying the networks to show ads and by extension the reason the networks still exist.

i mean, what would we have otherwise? nothing but high quality programming from subscription-only networks like hbo

and poor pagancow would have to get a real job

• Locked thread