Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

wesley snypes posted:

lmfao why would you ever want to put an os on a tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
on the one hand that's obviously evil

but on the other hand, since most people won't disable it, i can totally disable it and the company won't care enough to try any harder at annoying me

so yeah pretty smart on their part

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
plasma displays are garbage anyway lol

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rotor posted:

paying for media is for suckers.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Farecoal posted:

lol if u watch

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
imagine if, instead of a video stream, your tv received instructions to display a football game, like "nfl says to draw 11 players here and the ball over there" and "nike says to draw this ad on the side of the field". for commercial breaks, you get something like "fox sports wants to redirect you to a bunch of ads, then back to the game", but in fact the game is immediately available and simply paused waiting for your return. also your tv is a general purpose computer, and people have developed software you can use to make it ignore any instructions besides "show the football game". tv advertisers would lose their poo poo, right? so why don't internet advertisers seem to care?

i know the answer is "because nobody installs that software, nerd"... which is great for me, because i get ad-free content and nothing happens to stop it except some pagancow posts. but how can you base an entire ad industry on a distribution model that's so fundamentally misaligned with the goal of ensuring that ads are actually displayed to the viewer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yes, i said football

• Locked thread