Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

its funny how yospos cant talk about entertainment without talking about adblock and :filez:

yeah, it's weird. sorta like people pathologically hate advertising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

newreply.php posted:

i know a guy that works for the local cable company that claims that little over half the viewers that watch recorded shows still watch the ads even though they could FFWD through them, lmbo

well god bless them, they're the reason people keep paying the networks to show ads and by extension the reason the networks still exist.

i mean, what would we have otherwise? nothing but high quality programming from subscription-only networks like hbo

and poor pagancow would have to get a real job

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

am I allowed to use my TiVo to skip ads in the pagancow universe or will my shows be cancelled?

it'll be cancelled. he's been pretty clear on that

if you don't suck the advertiser's dick hard enough tinkerbell will die

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

lol you guys still dont get it

if you aren't part of the revenue stream, why should anybody cater to you?

maybe you don't get it. we understand that, you're not dropping some fresh science on us here

and nobody gives a gently caress.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

b/c viewers are the product not the customer

also this.

viewers are the product, the advertisers are the customer.

pagancow, you work in the ad industry, you know this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PuTTY riot posted:

then just sell me the same 50" 120hz tv you engineered 5 years ago, whats wrong with that one? why do we need new models every snigle year?

'cause if you aren't growing you're dyin' son

c'mon this is capitalism 101

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

Just watching a show/movie isn't enough to guarantee more episodes/movies.

neither is anything else consumers can do

so who cares. gently caress advertising

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PuTTY riot posted:

my homeowners and auto insurance doesnt advertise and its a lot cheaper and better than state farm

no that's not possible.

there's no way you could have known about them unless they advertised to you. just ask pagancow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

yeah, maybe a little harsh

he's still skeeving me out though

look, the guy works in an industry built on lying to people that lies to itself and its customers about how effectively it can lie and the standard behavior is to rationalize all of that and come out with the belief that you're providing a worthwhile service.

of course he's going to come off a little cultish.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

It still comes on in a lot of 2013 Samsung sets even when you turn the Auto Motion Plus to OFF. The way to turn off almost all post processing is to rename the input PC. You'll magically see it conform to an sRGB gamma curve and denoising and sharpening gets turned off.

this is fun because each input has to have this set manually. also each "app" in the smart tv section has its own setting as well.

any kind of firmware update will reset all of it to motion fuckup mode too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

i just went to go get dinner because of a mobile ad to a place I normally like. Thanks internet advertising machine, I didn't want to make the decision tonight anyway.

thank god your advertising profile knows you well enough to think for you

you might have starved to death

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

we just need a netflix for food so it just makes the decisions for you based off your eating habits.

then charge for prime placement

time to go to SV with this idea

poo poo.

you are going to make $10MM+ in first round funding.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

seriously though, have you seen the delta e on those displays? you're not going to get anything even close to colour accuracy no matter what you do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

I tested a $250 20" samsung display and it was like ^E of <2 after I renamed the input to PC, and chose Movie settings.

someone inside samsung does care about sRGB but you have to know the one weird olde tip

try an actual tv (e.g 40"+)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

newreply.php posted:

lifehack: pay money for electronics that belon g in the trash

you buy apple don't you?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

this is stupid and objectively wrong and we've shown exactly why it is so

he works in the ad industry, if you think being thoroughly disproven is going to prevent him from repeating a convenient lie, you're sorely mistaken

besides what would pagancow do if he had to face the lie of the ad based just-world philosophy he believes in? he melts down for pages over encoder settings and gama curves ffs. the meltdown could level the forums

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

lol if you think networks are running/cancelling shows based on anything other than ratings.

lol if you think ratings have anything to do with how many people are actually watching the show.

how many people with neilson boxes maybe, but dick all else

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eric posted:

Neilson sent me $30 to fill out a TV watching survey and I didn't do it.

see? this is the reason all of your favourite shows are cancelled.

it has nothing to do with watching ads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'ma buy a 55" 4k TV and replace my dell 30" and two portrait screens on the sides. Yeah, have a rage seizure screen nerds.

i'ma buy a 32" 4k monitor to replace my dell 30". because i need that sweet PPI

Farecoal posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

turns out he is wrong, and so is shaggar. who knew?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, i'm sure there's no selection bias in voluntary surveys that are a pain in the rear end.

none whatsoever. perfectly valid models of the part of the population that's got enough time on their hands to fill out a bullshit survey or deal with a PITA neilson box.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

the only data advertisers want out of neilson are non cable subscribers.

Cable boxes do a good job reporting what people are watching, it was used heavily in this year's elections to double sell spots for the cannidate you were going to vote for.

so where does "watch ads or your favourite shows will dieeee" factor into this?

hint: it doesn't.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

This whole cycle breaks down if you just pirate the show, since there are no metrics for companies buying ads to see if it's even performing well.

piracy amounts to statistical noise, it's so incredibly uncommon that it has no bearing on anything. it's just something pearl-clutchers like to bring up as destroying the industry whenever it's convenient

and the metrics themselves are completely fictitious the whole way through. whether or not we watch ads has nothing to do with the almost wholly invented numbers advertisers get from the networks, which in turn were pulled out of the rear end of whatever ratings source they used.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

it doesn't matter how flawed neilson is, its what they use.

it matters if it's your source for arguing that watching ads matters to content creators.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

also doesn't help that people are real quick to be like "ITS TOO DARK" slam the brightness to 100%

~plays survival horror game at 100% brightness~ i don't get what's supposed to be so scary about this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

I'm glad you finally admit that my watching ads has nothing to do with things I like being on tv

same. it's all i ever wanted.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

i could never love as hard as you

you're a ghost. can you love at all?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PuTTY riot posted:

demonoid is back???

since approximately forever ago.

i never bothered re-registering though, because frankly whgaf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a black bobsled team?!

• Locked thread