Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

I'm going to get a new TV soon and a commercial display is actually tempting

does hdmi-cec actually work between brands now?

pagancow becomes slightly tumescent...

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im about to buy a sony tv

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i did it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what i dont get with the ads on internet video streaming sites is why they are served from a different domain/server than the actual content that allows adblock to block them

so then i have to janitor my mom's home computer to whitelist cbs.com and poo poo so she can watch her horrible tv shows

why cant they just serve ads from the same place the content comes from so adblock cant do anything about it

is it really as dumb as the actual stream comes from content4.cnd.cbs.com and the ads come from ads.cdn.cbs.com?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

because of the way the ads are served. CBS.com has mostly no idea what ads its serving and shuffling different ads on and off cbs.com would be a big pain in the butt and would slow down the incredibly high speed ad market.

no one cares about Adblock because (1) it's not that common and (2) no one wants to get into an arms race they can't win.

i had to janitor my mom's computer to whitelist cbs.com because of the adblock detection scripts or whatever they've got on there now

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pagancow posted:

because ad janitoring is dumb, just let the media you're watching get paid for properly.

i dont object to ads on the the tv streaming sites, but i need adblock on my mom's computer so she doesn't get a billion different forms of malware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theadder posted:

smart tvs are bad

i just bought a sony smart tv :(

• Locked thread