Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
So when you say you need a break from the game, do you mean you'll come back in a couple months and do the blue path, or just play it on your own at some point? If the former, you should maybe hold off on the archiving for the moment.

Either way, it's been an interesting LP. As longwinded as you got sometimes, you were also very thorough, and you've shown us an interesting title that I imagine not many people have heard of. I rather appreciated the way you switched up the screens to make whatever was most important the larger screen, and though I might have sometimes rolled my eyes at various recaps of things I thought weren't that hard to remember, there were just as many or more that I...actually kinda needed. This is of course to say nothing of your bullet hell skills, which would probably be the main sticking point for myself and perhaps some others in playing this, so thank you for showing us a game that maybe we wouldn't be able to see any other way. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's sad to see this end, it was a neat LP of a game I would've never played myself. Very thorough too.

Great job, HaroldofTheRock. I enjoyed it, and hope you come back for the Blue Route or whatever at some point because I'm really curious now about it.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Very well-made LP, Harold. Informative and entertaining throughout. I have to echo the sentiments of the previous poster and hope that you'll come back to give the Blue Path as in-depth a playthrough one day.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

BlazeEmblem posted:

Is this the one with the sound glitch at the end of some of the later tracks? Or is this a cleaner rip of the OST?

Hmm, I guess I'm not sure. I haven't noticed any audio glitches, can you give me an example? I could load one of the songs to youtube and let you check it out. It's the Japan only, 2 disc OST that was released (90 tracks).

Everyone else, thanks for the feedback! I won't rule anything out, but currently I'm not planning to LP the blue path...this LP has been going on for ~1.5 years. Doing the blue path with another 47 stages...is not really an attractive idea at this time :)

If...if I were to eventually do it (chances are low), it would be different than how I did red path. Not nearly as thorough. It's funny, in the early days of this LP, I was talking about how once I got the game mechanics explained, I'd try to pick up the pace of the videos and who knows, maybe have multiple stages per update! The sky's the limit! As the game wore on, I decided it was just split up too episodically to try and cram multiple scenes in one video.

What I would really like is someone with a PSP or Vita to LP the blue path, it would be interesting to compare to the DS version.

Anyway...how about those endings, eh? All of them were downers!

There will be one more video, concerning the Dept Heaven greater lore. I think it's a really cool setting, but that video will be Dept Heaven spoiler city. Also it will probably take me a long time to get it out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Whats with the old lord red cloak's pessimism (or perfaps his truthful judgment) though. The only ending where he doesnt react the same is in melad margus's one.

We know, or can at least assume, that the old Lord has witnessed what seems to be countless repititions of this conflict, and through his remarks we can realize we have done nothing to break the cycle, only if MM wins does the cyclical nature of the world get severed. Honestly this is a very depressing ending, even if Wilmgard gets to share his days with Algiery, the world is doomed to repeat its mistakes.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks Harold. This not only a great LP, it feels like an LP of Record. This definitely seems destined to become one of the seminal historical artifacts/sources for this game along with the Tome of Lost Souls.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Hmm, I guess I'm not sure. I haven't noticed any audio glitches, can you give me an example? I could load one of the songs to youtube and let you check it out. It's the Japan only, 2 disc OST that was released (90 tracks).

Edit: Feel free to ignore everything that was in this post before. There doesn't seem to be any problems with the version you have a link for.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 23, 2016

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whats with the old lord red cloak's pessimism (or perfaps his truthful judgment) though. The only ending where he doesnt react the same is in melad margus's one.

We know, or can at least assume, that the old Lord has witnessed what seems to be countless repititions of this conflict, and through his remarks we can realize we have done nothing to break the cycle, only if MM wins does the cyclical nature of the world get severed. Honestly this is a very depressing ending, even if Wilmgard gets to share his days with Algiery, the world is doomed to repeat its mistakes.

For what it's worth, I don't think previous cycles involved Asgard and the Underworld. There are important implications to the larger Dept Heaven plot at occur in this game that change things in the overall story, so I think the Maria/Melissa stuff was unique this time. But yeah, in broad terms humans will continue to gain power, oppress the weak, and ultimately be responsible for the decline of the world.

I wonder at what point the Lord of Aventhiem will decide "I think I've gathered enough data, humans are bad".

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Hi guys, just a note to say the final video is getting close to being done. I had a period of inactivity foisted on me as I waited to see the outcome of...something...that affects this video. The...something...is a big awesome surprise!!!! That only the most hardcore of Dept Heaven nerds might care about!!! But it was something I wanted to do for the video.

Regardless, production of the video is moving along with some stunning advancements to the format. Including (you may want to sit down) occasional image movement on the screen, as opposed to my usual static slide shows! Sorry, I should've told you to take off your socks, as I'm sure they just launched through the wall.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

That only the most hardcore of Dept Heaven nerds might care about!!!

You called?

I am glad to see that you are still going ahead with your final video. I was wondering if you had decided not to do it.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:Update! Dept Heaven Episodes Plot Overview:siren::siren:
In which I attempt to explain the overarching story of this series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nod15AQRxIk

A lot of information regarding this series is available in the Japan-only artbook, Dept Heaven Episodes World Guidance:

I have not been able to find many images or scans from this book, so I've taken matters into my own hands. For those interested, here are scans of the entire book:
Right click/Save As here for a pdf of the Dept. Heaven World Guidance (text is in Japanese)

This is a game series that deserves more recognition! Maybe I'll do Gungnir some day, if I can ever figure out how to get the capture working...

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Hm, been looking forward to this but I don't really feel like I got much out of it. Marietta's fate, sure, and that Yggdra is first, Knights is second, and Riviera is third, and Gungnir matters gently caress-all (which gives me a perverse satisfaction as it is also the only one I haven't played, being a PSP game). Appreciate that you tried to make it a little easier to visually process. Oh, and that Zolgonark is Prime Evil material in terms of fighting heaven, I didn't know that.

Thanks for the scans though. On page 40 there's a Knight named Woosh, for real? Did we meet this guy?

The pages directly after the timeline show screens from the game, and they definitely are referring to Scene 40 as the scene where Capehorn is exiled (Night, 108 days before previous king's something I can't read japanese either) so maybe they shifted a few things around and renumbered them between production of the book and game.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 3, 2016

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

booksnake posted:

Thanks for the scans though. On page 40 there's a Knight named Woosh, for real? Did we meet this guy?

About a third of the knights are only available in the blue route. The red and yellow routes have their own exclusive knights, and about a third of the knights show up on both routes.

Edit 1: Gungnir is actually set first chronologically, in the year 983. Yggdra Union is set in 1490 (these are seen in the tracks for the opening movies in the games' soundtrack). I don't know when the other two are set, but KitN happens before Riviera. Presumably, year 0 is Ragnarok.

Edit 2: Thanks for the video, and thanks for the overall LP! This is easily one of the best games for the PSP and Vita, but it was never very popular. I'm glad that someone was willing to LP this large and confusing game.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 3, 2016

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

booksnake posted:

Hm, been looking forward to this but I don't really feel like I got much out of it. Marietta's fate, sure, and that Yggdra is first, Knights is second, and Riviera is third, and Gungnir matters gently caress-all (which gives me a perverse satisfaction as it is also the only one I haven't played, being a PSP game). Appreciate that you tried to make it a little easier to visually process. Oh, and that Zolgonark is Prime Evil material in terms of fighting heaven, I didn't know that.

I did leave out quite a few details, so if you are interested in learning more I recommend checking out the translation sources I linked in the video.

One thing I decided not to include in the video was a little editorial thing where I say that while I personally think the overarching story is really cool (Asgard is on the ropes and Hector is dead, but now Zolgonark is hosed up too...so many things you can do with that) I think the developers have shown that their first priority is to make games they want to make, and the story is secondary. Each of these Dept Heaven games are so different from the rest, and I really admire Sting for doing their own thing. They do make other games but you get the sense that the Dept Heaven games are labors of love. The fact that they often issue art books and soundtracks for the Dept Heaven games also gives you a sense of pride the developers must have.

Anyway, Like BlazeEmblem said, Woosh wasn't available for our playthrough. She's actually a girl, a duelist.

The Tome of Lost Souls posted:

Despite her immense strength and skill, she is never good enough in her own eyes. Woosh trains daily, and when she is not training, she feels guilty. A large part of her dedication stems from the fact that she blames herself for the death of Melfi's parents. She now takes care of Melfi and has unrealistically vowed to never let anyone else die ever again.
:smith:

booksnake posted:

The pages directly after the timeline show screens from the game, and they definitely are referring to Scene 40 as the scene where Capehorn is exiled (Night, 108 days before previous king's something I can't read japanese either) so maybe they shifted a few things around and renumbered them between production of the book and game.

The flashback time for Scene 39 is "108 days before the demise of the previous king", so you may be on to something. I still don't know why Scene 40 appears twice. At work, our controller is a native Japanese speaker who flies in about once a month to go over the books...maybe next time he's in, I'll ask him to take a look at that page.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Edit 1: Gungnir is actually set first chronologically, in the year 983. Yggdra Union is set in 1490 (these are seen in the tracks for the opening movies in the games' soundtrack). I don't know when the other two are set, but KitN happens before Riviera. Presumably, year 0 is Ragnarok.

Edit 2: Thanks for the video, and thanks for the overall LP! This is easily one of the best games for the PSP and Vita, but it was never very popular. I'm glad that someone was willing to LP this large and confusing game.

Huh, I didn't know that about the Gungnir date. Another thing I didn't mention in the video was that all games are roughly set 1,000 years after Ragnarok, but time moves a bit differently on each of the surface worlds. Are there and descriptors for the years (along the lines of BC or AD)?

Also, I did want to thank you for following the LP and contributing to the thread throughout; you regularly added insight to the series I didn't have, and the LP was better for it :D

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Huh, I didn't know that about the Gungnir date. Another thing I didn't mention in the video was that all games are roughly set 1,000 years after Ragnarok, but time moves a bit differently on each of the surface worlds. Are there and descriptors for the years (along the lines of BC or AD)?

Also, I did want to thank you for following the LP and contributing to the thread throughout; you regularly added insight to the series I didn't have, and the LP was better for it :D

No for the years - The Gungnir track is called Gargandia 983, and the Yggdra Union one is (Japanese text that google translate come out to) Parutina (maybe it is supposed to be Paltina? That term sounds like it was from Yggdra Union) 1490. No other date markers are present.

Gee thanks, you're making me blush :allears:.

Edit: looking at my post history for this thread, I posted enough to make 3 pages. Out of 14. I think I am a bit obsessed with this game.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 4, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's finished; hurrah! I'm going to sit down and binge through this LP - thank you for making it! I tried to play this game once a lot of years ago and never made it very far, so I'm super excited to find out what I missed!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thank you for the LP and the link. And for the chance for me to use obscure game mechanic knowledge of this game. Mechanics that I honestly would like to see more of in a similar format.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 4, 2016

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

HaroldofTheRock posted:

The flashback time for Scene 39 is "108 days before the demise of the previous king", so you may be on to something. I still don't know why Scene 40 appears twice. At work, our controller is a native Japanese speaker who flies in about once a month to go over the books...maybe next time he's in, I'll ask him to take a look at that page.

Comparing the names of the scenes in the book to the ones in the game, the right-hand book scene 40 matches the game scene 40, the left-hand book scene 40 is game scene 39, book scene 39 is game scene 38, and then game scene 37 is one of the one's that not shown in the book (9 nights after the funeral). Basically if you moved the 39 to where the left-hand 40 is and moved 38 up a spot, that part would match up.

Of the others you specifically mentioned: 16 is after scene 1 so it'd be just off the edge of the page.
25*, 27 and 31 are, like scene 37, tied to the day of the funeral (-2 to +6 days). Did they ever say anything to nail down when the funeral was compared to any other event at any point?

* you mentioned 24, not 25, but scene 24 should be in the space marked scene 25

So yeah, there's a few inconsistencies, last-minute changes to exactly where they put things sounds likely enough

Polsy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 5, 2016

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Hmm, good point, that makes a lot of sense. I'm not aware of a hard time frame for the funeral, but in Flashback 31, some knights hear Harpy Piche. That was 6 days after the funeral.

Then, in Flashback 37, Harpy Piche attacks some knights. That flashback was 9 days after the funeral.

We saw Piche get turned into the harpy in present day Cutscene 22.

In some of the other flashbacks centered around the funeral, Algiery is mentioned as missing, and in Flashback 32, she kills Rondine, who was guarding the King's corpse. This was set 9 days after the funeral, and we saw Algiery get brainwashed by Yelma in present day Cutscene 23.

So the funeral was definitely set later in the game, that does explain why they aren't on the timeline. Nice!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's finished; hurrah! I'm going to sit down and binge through this LP - thank you for making it! I tried to play this game once a lot of years ago and never made it very far, so I'm super excited to find out what I missed!

I dunno if you're going to be able to shotgun this one, it's pretty long and dry :v: Good luck though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Thanks for the great LP, man. This was a pretty obscure game that really needed a good LP and you knocked it out of the park.

• Locked thread