Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The one that that always stressed me out was using guys too often to the point where they are completely exhausted. I understand that I can always reload but always having that number ticking down on everyone like an expiration riles me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Boss fights are a high point in the game, IMO. They're brought down a bit when you're waiting for treasure respawns, but past that the later ones see some serious touhou poo poo. A game like this with 30 bosses and no item collection (or vastly revamped) would kick rear end.

Hmm, thinking about digging out my PSP to do my own run. I still haven't gotten anything better than a terrible ending.

I haven't seen anything and it's way down the line, but assuming you're not completely burned out at this game by the end, are you planning a blue campaign?

I lik the boss fights, although I dislike the fact they frontload the first half of the game with bosses and then you're stuck playing 15 stage maps for a long while.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

If there is one truly dickish thing about Trans soul, it's that it's not the same for everyone. Certain characters will actually start to lose combat effectiveness from excessive use of Trans soul, because Sting wanted to keep a theme of degradation. So basically older looking characters still have a soft cap in usefulness in new game+, where just using the younger ones won't be as likely to peak in viability.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Can this guy be our Lance Knight? :allears:

Also, he has crazy-high VIT and a unique elemental affinity for our group, but mostly it's the voice thing.

Funny thing about elemental affinities. For the most part the elemental attribute of the knight will not affect the damage output of the weapon in use. In fact it's as it was probably already said in the thread that it only provides a minor boosts to transoul if both subjects are the same affinity and unlock a super move that also takes up a bar to use with the standard charge time for extra damage, and it takes a hefty chunk of vitality. For the most part you won't ever use it outside of particularly difficult stages where you need the enemy killed right here and now.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Most items from NPC's can be farmed on training stages so it won't end up hurting the player if they miss an NPC key item. Which is quite pleasant, unless you're in the harder difficulties where it's practically required to have gear of decent durability.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'd argue priestesses are up there with Warrior since they have a superior attack range in law phase than warriors and can change the affinities of enemy units. The second lowest would be the Wizard. Sure they can farm mp crystals quickly, but their damage leaves something to be desired and usually using an attack is faster than laying a trap and wait for the enemy to walk on it. The lowest in my opinion would have to be assassins. Their range is small and in odd shapes and status effects aren't as good at the dead effect. And when I do need their damage output I feel better off using anyone else because I can hit multiple more reliably.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

For better or for worse the knights you recruit don't interact with each other during your setup time. Better in the fact you can be very efficient, just do your daily repair and levels/transoul. Sort of worse because outside of deploying knights who know each other in combat/cutscenes/level up quotes, you can't really see them develop.

Though I justified the reason why none have a cutscene where they all panic over being dead is because they're all too badass for that.

"Even in death I still serve" and all that.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

HaroldofTheRock is just playing on normal difficulty. There are two higher difficulty levels :getin:.

Sorry to disappoint, but as far as I've played higher difficulties in terms of enemies only increase damage. It would be cool if there were different bullet hell patterns, maybe there just wasn't enough space for it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

When I first fought her the first thing that came to mind was "how can she swing a war hammer if she has that giant scale hanging off her arms?" Like seriously it looks likes it's hanging off her arm joints. Magic I guess, it would also explain how she can twirl her weapon without her hair getting caught since it's also on her chest.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Weapon upgrading in my mind is simply not worth it. On Easy and Normal modes the enemies are squishy enough to not warrant upgrading. And on Hard and Nightmare you lose the option to grind weapons and souls, making weapons a very costly resource. And if you're playing the harder modes it's simply not worth potentially degrading your already rare weapons for a chance of slightly better damage.

Now there is one effect that I believe to be worth it. I believe the highest tier weapons have an effect that maxes out damage on its rush count. The number is literally ONE, as in just one normal attack from your knights and you'll dish out max damage to mobs and bosses.

However when I first played through I thought that the best weapons would have even more special effects. Nope, literally bad effect after the first one. So many resources wasted just to figure that out.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Don't worry mate. As the old saying goes, life >lp's. Glad to see you'll still do 'em.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thanks, and thank you for continuing this gem.

It isn't much, but I think your map does the trick and I was able to understand what you were talking about.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 9, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Then again Dept Heaven titles tend to never have sequels so any chance of refining their rather unique systems goes out the window.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Freiben for ghost family bonding.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

For me I usually don't bother to. The game discourages going for +9 in weapons considering that fusing a weapon of +2 to a weapon of +4 ends with a lower value weapon. The best weapons then are related to nuking bosses and the standard weapons are fused for high durability.

Higher difficulties enforce this mindset of refusing to upgrade weapons when you can't grind weapons in the side stages.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And he meets his end to a spirit ball and his ghost army

To be fair dying while fighting a literal army of vengeful specters in a room of decadent treasure is a pretty metal day to go.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gudrun Cheese and Bordeau

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I want Granitz too.

An interesting note that if you hack the game to give all your knights to have max vitality Granitz is the only character unaffected.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 28, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Usually the game will always supply you with generics if you run out of normal units.

It was inplemented in case of not being able to find the key items or for people who couldn't be bothered.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Polsy posted:

Ah, I was wondering about that too. Feels like it's breaking the concept of the game, but yeah, I guess they had to do something.

True it does, but at the same time it helps prevent unwinnable save states. Especially since unless you are playing on an emulator you pretty much only have one save file to work with.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Caline and Rosa

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

How could you go for any more wizard like in appearance than Morozof?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Knights in the Nightmare, everyone is bitter and broken.

Except knights and Leonil, they get too much of a kick out of unlife/life.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Have a good one.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Have a nice break, you deserve it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Knights in the Nightmare: where murdering a child who wants revenge for his dead parents is merely a step towards our goals.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah the Piche fight felt appropriately pathetic, like a mercy killing. It's more comprable to fighting the kings son, ending the life of someone who been transformed into something feral and dangerous to those around them.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I admit Rush counts are really gimmicky and the game does not encourage their use. Often times you can easily get the damage you need from your baseline weapons and NOT have to juggle between the good and bad effects. Because in weapon fusion you drop to the the lowest number from +0, In order to maintain upgraded weapons not only do you have to grind for material, you have to upgrade the weapons, then fuse them together to incrsase durability.

It's pointless busywork in a game that already asks alot for the player to remember.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well at least Algiery and the King are together at last, even if the circumstancess are quite strange.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Children getting in our way and making things worse? I never knew this was the Drakengard spinoff :v:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Be glad man, you're going to put one of the most unique titles in the DS system in the archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thank you for the LP and the link. And for the chance for me to use obscure game mechanic knowledge of this game. Mechanics that I honestly would like to see more of in a similar format.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 4, 2016

• Locked thread