Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They're technically in order,

Not exactly... Riviera was released first, and in chronologically last in the timeline. Gungnir was released last, but is currently the earliest story.

Anyway, I am so glad that someone is LPing this. I love the Dept. Heaven series, so I am always eager to see an LP of one of the games.

Since you are doing the DS version instead of the PSP version, are you going put up a side post about what was added to the PSP port?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Do you have a link to any of the series info? I stopped following around the time Gungnir came out.

There hasn't been much info after Gungnir came out, so you aren't missing much. Here is a link for a bunch of translated material: http://disaresta.livejournal.com/82669.html

Be warned: the translator has an extreme obsession with the series, and a lot of that filters into her comments.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

While pause talks are fun to read, there is a problem with using them on the DS version - to see a pause talk, you need to have your wisp hovering over the knight, and that will select it to use an attack, draining time. The PSP version doesn't select a knight when you hover over it (you have to press the x button to select the knight), so you can see a lot more pause talks without having an impact on your score.

Having the chance to read the pause talks is likely why the PSP version lets you reread all of the pause talk dialogue you have unlocked (plus other things they say, like when you recruit them, transoul, exile, etc.).

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

namad posted:

Oh also before I forget are there any direct sequels to this game? or after this combination did sting go back to more traditional rpg strategy titles?

edit: Also for anyone who's played both which version has better controls? psp or ds? does the psp even have a stylus? (I have a ds but I have a buddy with a psp).

There are no direct sequels to this - after this game, Sting created Gungnir, which was closer to a traditional SRPG but still had fairly unique gameplay; Hexyz force for the PSP; several Yggdra Union spinoffs; Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection (with Idea Factory); The Neptunia spinoff with Noire as the main character; and a couple of Date-A-Live PS3 games.

As for controls, the DS is much easier to handle - you control it with a stylus, so your movements can be more precise. The PSP version uses the analogue stick, and has separate buttons for speeding up or slowing down movement. I have never had a problem with the PSP controls, so I have spent most of my time with that version.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

By the way, does the PSP version have the hidden Yggdra easter egg? With the DS version, if you have the Yggdra Union game in the GBA slot, the tutorial instructor is Yggdra instead of Maria, and there's apparently another character that pops in between scenes occasionally. Pretty cool surprises.

Actually, they just have the Yggdra tutorials instead of Maria, and that character still will show up randomly, even without Yggdra Union save data. If you do have save data from Yggdra Union, you will automatically unlock Yggdra's story mode (new in the PSP version, but originally planned for the DS version; that's why they had Yggdra do the tutorials - they didn't want to waste the face sprite they had already made of her). Yggdra's story normally unlocks after one playthough.

I don't consider the Yggdra route a spoiler, since it is advertized on the back of the box.

Edit: Here are some song suggestions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZBCPPTUrjc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTU-jTmWr-k

You can't go wrong with the first stratum themes from EO.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 19, 2014

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I had no idea about the PSP Yggdra space-time playthrough thing, either. I wish it was on the DS :mad: Kind of gives the impression that Sting has some affection for that character.

You really aren't missing anything. All of the stages are the exact same as Maria's route, just with Yggdra instead of Maria. There are no new characters for the route.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Nice job Atlus - you named it the Upola statue in both Riviera and Yggdra Union, and the voice acting in Riviera's PSP version also called it the Upola Statue.

So of course you decide to call it the Upora Statue here :downs:.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 23, 2014

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Markovnikov posted:

Is there any reason to not combine items into one single durability item? Unless you just want to upgrade a small stack to see what RC effects you'll get. But it costs the same to upgrade one giant or small stack and they can be easily downgraded so...

The only reason I can think of is that you can find items with different levels of upgrades to them. If you combine those, then the combined item only has the lower level of upgrade, so you are losing the upgrades by combining those.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

So you didn't use the a key item on the werewolf? Was it because you forgot, or did you not have the item? You should have gotten it during scene 2.

Also, for more proof that the werewolf was the prince, the item is called "Piche's Bauble".

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Oh and one last thing: someone suggested making a playlist of the videos. I...think? I made one? But I'm not sure it's active or whatever, can anyone comment? Thanks...

It works and has all of the gameplay videos, although you only have the first inventory video, not any of the 8 other inventory videos.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Glazius posted:

And did I see it right, you were getting bonus points for grazing enemy projectiles?

He mentioned it in one of the videos, but yes, you get bonus EXP for grazing bullets.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

My only guess for why you can't chain attacks is that the AI for an upcoming boss would break if multiple knights were charged up at once.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: Just watched the latest video. I didn't remember how often (mechanic chat in the spoiler) you'd have to break a container to get ANOTHER key item after they respawn. gently caress you, game.

That's why you need to destroy everything with a warrior. In fact, you need to wait for something to respawn on the very first scene to get everything from it. This scene was one of the worst, though - 3 items only show up in respawned objects; we only got 2 in the LP.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Man, the post commentary really makes things go by faster. Before this, I would always go to a different tab while this was playing in the background, but now I don't need to.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bonita's death reminds me a lot of how battles in Yggdra Union looked, with dying knights in each team just letting go of their weapons that then would get stuck on the floor. I see Sting keeps some ideas between games, even if they're all very different.

Yeah, I think that is what they were going for.

This is actually the first time I have ever seen a knight die - I have never let any stay on the field that get that low.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I love the all of the random voices in the game, but my favorite is diffidently when Maria misses: "How could I miss?", putting a weird stress on the word miss. It always cracks me up.

It should be noted that both the Japanese versions and the English versions have the same vocals - they could be from people in Japan, or Sting could have outsourced the voice work to Atlus, like they did with the card text for Yggdra Union. I am not sure what happened.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Welp, now we have a proper bullet hell. OK, not quite, but it seems we're getting there.

Does it get any worse? I hope it gets worse.

HaroldofTheRock is just playing on normal difficulty. There are two higher difficulty levels :getin:.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Annointed posted:

Sorry to disappoint, but as far as I've played higher difficulties in terms of enemies only increase damage. It would be cool if there were different bullet hell patterns, maybe there just wasn't enough space for it.

:negative: Okay, I admit it - I've never played the nightmare difficulty.

What I was referring to was that enemies get their attacks faster in higher difficulties, so you have to deal with more stuff onscreen at once.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

You say that we will see more rush count effects, but you really need to pay attention to get the right number for the rush count. I have never seen any effects come into play before you video covering them, since I never went out of my way to get one to activate.

While I do upgrade weapons occasionally, I agree that it's not worth it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Hmm.... the "Ancardia" in Riviera and Yggdra Union aren't the same item? I don't know if it's the same here in KitN since I haven't played this one yet, but I was pretty sure Riviera's and YU's Ancardia were the same thing at different points in history?

They are - it's just that in addition to that item, the island at the end of Yggdra Union is also called Ancardia, confusing everyone.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Don't forget to vote on which Duelist we use! The polls close tomorrow.

Oh poo poo, I didn't look at this page for a week.

Uh, Hilgard. Because she has the best design and the second best vit growth graph.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

It took so long, but we have finally gotten to the Gunther fight. I have been waiting for this next video.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Lyzz

Anette has better Vit growth, but a terrible Law index, so go with Lyzz - second best, and a much better Law index.

But again, switch her out at chapter 43.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Hey, looks like it's time to talk about Pamela!

As mentioned in the video, she is recruitable in most of the games, aside from Riviera and it's remakes (since she didn't exist back then), Yggdra Union on the GBA (she is playable on the PSP version), and Gungnir (she shows up, but is not playable). So yes, she is playable in all of those Yggdra Union spinoffs that we never got. Thanks, Atlus :argh:!

In terms of this game, you get her in the GBA version as HaroldofTheRock said, and for the PSP version, you need to have save data from the PSP Yggdra Union on your memory stick. This also unlocks a PSP-only alternate route for the game as well. However, Atlus USA made it so you can also unlock that route by beating the game once, so you might be able to get Pamela without save data.

Pamela is great for Transsouling, but terrible for regular gameplay. The reason she is good at transouling is that every race is fine with her race transouling into them (her race is the one-of-a-kind Yumel). However, she does not like other races transouling into her, so you don't get a lot of stat transference to her.

She is terrible at regular gameplay because she has an extremly high Chaos index (like 99 or close to that), and a very low Law index (single digits, if I recall correctly). As the priestess is Law focused, she isn't that great (though if you like grams, I guess you could use her).

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Annointed posted:

Then again Dept Heaven titles tend to never have sequels so any chance of refining their rather unique systems goes out the window.

:crossarms:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/991418-blaze-union-story-to-reach-the-future

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/626012-gloria-union

Just because we never got them doesn't mean they don't exist.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Well, since we are already talking about the red and blue routes, here is what the PSP version added:

A yellow route, where you play as Yggdra (from Yggdra Union) instead of Maria. It's unlocked by either finishing Maria's route, or having Yggdra Union save data on your memory stick - note that this was the only way it get it in the Japanese version, Atlus USA made it available regardless.

This was actually planned for the DS version, but was scraped for taking up too much room. There is a remnant of it though - when you have the Yggdra Union GBA game slotted in, Yggdra covers the tutorials, in place of Maria.

The yellow route doesn't add much though. Aside from Swapping out Maria with Yggdra, who plays a bit differently, all of the gameplay is the same as Maria's route, and the only cutscenes changed are when Maria is in them, which means that chucks of the game are completely identical. And there are also only two versions of the ending, whereas the other routes have several each.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also the invisible tile was such a dick move, but you could see you were hitting it. Unless my eyes were decieving me, each time you hit it, the tile shone, while other tiles didn't. It's still a massive dick move though.

Yes, the flash of hitting something is your only clue that something is there, and that it has respawned. Just use a single skill attack each round on it after you destroyed it once, and you should be able to tell when it returns.

Here is some more PSP stuff, about one of the very few differences in the yellow route.

In the yellow route, the invisible tile is already broken open, so you will always go stage 23.5. However, this means that you cannot get the two key items from it. They are boss items, so it's not like you are missing much, but it still sucks.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Wow. All of these guys look terrible, but Rolf looks the least terrible.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

AweStriker posted:

How so? Keep in mind that Wizards use Gram attacks in the Law phase.

I'm looking at their VIT charts. His VIT stays high for a while before dropping off, while the rest of them start plummeting immediately.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

The reason why you didn't do full damage was because Scoppio was partially of Alonso, as seen by the bottom screen. That means that the attack missed the part that was still on him, reducing the total damage.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

When characters are friends with each other, they give better boosts when transouling, They also give unique quotes when transouling into their friend or receiving the friend's soul. While some friends work for both receiving and giving souls, other friends only work one way - in this case, Johann gained more when Rolf was transouled into him, but Rolf would not have gained the bonus if Johann was transouled into him. You can tell by the dialouge - Rolf said his generic death line, but Johann said something unique to the situation.

Of course, all of this is recorded in the pause talk section of the PSP version, so you need to kill off your guys to fill it out :negative:.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

vilkacis posted:

That's kind of hilariously dickish. I can only approve since I don't actually have to play it for myself.

It gets better.

Things that are included in the Talk Collection:
All of their pause talks (and there are a lot for each person)
What they say when they get their item
Their phrase when recruiting them at the end of the stage
What they say when they run out of vitality
What they say when you exile them
Giving their soul in transoul
Receiving a transoul
Giving/receiving a transoul when it is to/from a friend (at least it gives the friends name here)
leveling up (each person has 2-4 quotes)

There is also stuff for the NPCs, generic enemies, and bosses.

For example, I have 12 dialogues from Scoppio - 9 are generic moans, and 3 have him saying something - "I... I am...", "I..." and "Y-You"

My current high for the talk collection is Yggdra, who has 29 conversations, all of them from pause talks.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Like always, I am voting based on Vit charts, as the better the chart, the less transouls are needed for vitality.

So Fritz and Frances.

Edit: I've been playing through the PSP version again, and I just got to chapter 19. In the DS game, an area was referred to as Riviera in the opening narration, but has been changed to Lanaia in the PSP version. So yes, it was a translation error.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 18, 2015

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Dang we got some low voter turnout here! I'm hoping to have the next video up tomorrow, if you want to help choose our next Warrior or Hermit, hop to it!

Ah good job Atlus. I was wondering, in the PSP version, does Maria say this:

because I assume that was an error, too?

She still says it. She also says, in another pause talk "If only I had the diviner, it would all be solved..."

They can't fix everything. And yes, it is an error, because only the Grim Angels have Diviners, and she is definitely not one of them.

Altus loves making these minor changes in the PSP versions, but only one or two per game. In Riviera, they changed a tome's name to keep it consistent with a Yggdra Union character (although, there is no connection between the two, they just have the same name); and in Yggdra Union, they changed the war at the end of the C ending to "The Trial", instead of calling it Ragnarok, like in the GBA version.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

So, you keep waiting for items to respawn to see if they have any new Key items. Are you avoiding looking at a guide to find out how many items are in a stage to keep the LP authentic to a regular player's experience? Or do you just not know of a guide that does this?

And for those who liked the Leonil fight, you are going to love the Aquina fight.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

So we have finally fought Aquina.

I played this fight last week for the first time in a few years, since this LP convinced me to play the game again. I remembered that I found her difficult, but I couldn't remember why, since none of her attacks are very threatening (I don't bother to outrun the target, since her shots are so easy to dodge). Then I fought her, and remembered - she's a ninja.

Her ninja moves and music are really the only thing going for her - she is one of the easier bosses.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I'll go with Gudrun and Ganosh

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Out of curiosity, are you playing the Red or Blue path? Someone needs to LP the Blue path on PSP god drat it

I am playing on a fresh copy on my Vita, so I was playing on the Red path. I sort of blazed through it - starting my playthrough just after the chapter 25 video and finishing a few days ago.

I have actually never played much of the blue path - on the DS I stopped after the 15th chapter of the blue path; and on my PSP UMD I played through the Yellow route twice to find out something for a poster on another message board (it was a Dept. Heaven based board... and I may have been responsible for the webmaster deleting the whole thing. Oops.) and only played a bit of the Red route - according to my save data, I last played the Red route chapter 2 - in April of 2012.

The point is, I don't have enough experience with the Blue route to LP it. Sorry.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I may not like his Vit chart, but managing to survive at least one blow from Scoppio makes him cool in my book.

Change my vote from Ganosh to Granitz.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

As I know you are going to ask, I don't have Maria's quote to see if the reference was fixed - because some characters have multiple quotes for their key items, apparently just to screw with people trying to get pause talks :suicide:.

She still refers to her "other half", but it refers to Mellisa in the quote I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

It makes a little more sense if you look at the theme of the boss names (minus Melissa), which should be becoming a bit clearer now that we've seen more of them.

If someone reading this hasn't figured it out yet, here are the boss names so far:

Jamie
Rivulia
Gunther
Dotaurus
Scoppio
Leonil
Aquina
Capehorn

It's not that hard to figure out, but some of them (Jamie and Gunther) only fit due to process of elimination.

• Locked thread