Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Also...taking suggestions for low-key, pleasant tunes for me to stick in place of the battle preparation music (like where I put the Metroid music in this video)

...I got a lot of ideas for this, and they are kind of all over the map. I get the feeling that some of these will work well and others won't but it's worth a shot suggesting them anyway.
That and you might get so many suggestions a pastebin or googledoc might be warranted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFuSKPhc7qM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8quBhJLZ9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flAznjug9_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3C-FrmHn44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16_-giowP4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGhnNqlp12Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnu1Wvi1bDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQp_zJviTjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v12FHyDXYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyucnBMPoF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5iUjXQKomg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLuHvi_WvZ8

HaroldofTheRock posted:

By the way, does the PSP version have the hidden Yggdra easter egg? With the DS version, if you have the Yggdra Union game in the GBA slot, the tutorial instructor is Yggdra instead of Maria, and there's apparently another character that pops in between scenes occasionally. Pretty cool surprises.

More than that, actually: having Yggdra Union save data on your PSP will not only give you Instructor Yggdra, but also unlock Yggdra Mode, in which a weird space-time accident happens and Yggdra ends up in in the Armored Maiden's place in the actual storyline. (Well, the name might be wrong but the content description isn't.)

I'm not sure whether Pamela showing up is bonus-only, but I do remember hearing that she's recruitable under some circumstances or other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

This actually reminds me; someone help me out: how do you pronounce "Piche"? One thing I never took into consideration when I decided to make a video LP is that now the whole world will see how illiterate I am.

The original kana is ピスチェ, which taken straight is something like... piece-che (a more exact Romanization here would be pisuche). As has been noted Atlus and Sting tend not to agree on romanization where proper names are concerned, though, so really don't feel bad about this, sometimes not even the fandom* can agree on which spellings they like better. The other common spelling I've seen for her name is Pisce, which is kind of odd since there's nothing fishy about her specifically. Is there something fishy about the fact that she's apparently been locked up in some room for a long time? Probably.

*disclaimer, I don't really interact with main fandom bodies of any sort

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Markovnikov posted:

...in the middle of combat you'll be too distracted to keep accurate count of your R.C. so it can land in exactly the number you want.

The actual Rush Count is displayed at the upper-left corner of the screen, so I think the harder part here is probably just remembering how many hits the skills you're using put in per attack.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I think I’ve driven this home enough, but what about the other classes? Let’s briefly look at Moria, our Hermit, in Chaos Phase.

Isolated incident, thankfully, but I just wanted to point out the typo there.

Archers have other weird rules about this, since their Law attack hits only one square so height doesn't matter except maybe for damage, and in Chaos where they have an x-shaped area the center must be the point of reference, and that's moving.

Also of note is that Lance Knights can't deal with uneven heights in Chaos Phase when they move. I think there's a little bit of leeway, maybe something like .5 of a unit, but much more than that will stop them in their tracks.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Gologle posted:

I'm almost certain Ancardia is not a Diviner.

None of them are, since there's actually more than one thing with that name, but this is correct.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I think Priestess and Sanctity is a good combination.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

As far as Scene 14 strategy goes, it looks to me like the Wizard in the back is in a great position to hit every obstacle/floor on the field except the rock with Chaos attacks, which the Warrior in the lower-right (or a different Warrior in the same position, more likely) can pick up with Law attacks, and get one of the floors and one of the catapults with Chaos attacks.

Doesn't change the fact that Melissa is no doubt going to be a pain to kill, of course.

Anyway, just in case someone wanted to know what those effects on those upgraded weapons do, I found out:

Effect 15 (Golden Spear +8): For 10 seconds, Hermits charge instantly
Effect 73 (Golden Spear +8): Lightning-attribute bullets do not affect the Wisp
Effect 25 (Golden Spear +8): Lightning-attribute skills have double Attack
Effect 6 (Venus Wand +1): All damage inflicted on enemies is Injury-type*

*The wording on this one isn't particularly clear, but it's a negative effect, so I suppose this means the enemy can regenerate all the damage inflicted.

A thing I've noticed is that effects that are opposite to each other tend to have adjacent numbers - for example, Effect 74 is "Lightning-attribute bullets end your turn".

PotatoManJack posted:

Alright, I think I'm starting to get this now, so I'm going to adjust my request a little.

NEW REQUEST

Class: Archer
Element: Sanctity
Level: 6
Rush Counter: 2

I don't know which weapons exist and which you have, so I'll just say the one with the coolest name.

He did say "or", mind you.

That said, I think I'll change my mind and ask for a Paladin Lance upgraded to +7.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'll put in my vote for Nina.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Meryl can be our team mom until scene 43.

I like Anette's design the most out of our contestants but her LI is very low and you've made it clear what your thoughts on Grams are.

Also, Riviera is probably a mistranslation, since it refers to a specific place that isn't in this game. Atlus has tended to not handle localization of other developers' games very well.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 14, 2015

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Polsy posted:

It looks like it's just 'the surface world' in Japanese, I guess Atlus thought they were helping.

That's along the lines of what I thought it said - "surface worlds" in the Dept. Heaven cosmology are just "anything that isn't Asgard, the Underworld, or Yumel", Yumel being... kind of an anomaly.

Also that is some fine Engrish. Roy. for Loyalty. I love it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I've never done the bullshit hi-jinx before, but we'll do it in this LP.

Oh, dear. That means you're doing the fight against Scoppio for the first time personally, doesn't it?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Another solution to that tactical error might have been to take Lyzz instead - that would mean not dealing with the status effect at all, with the extra bonus of the attack being guaranteed to hit.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Out of these five, I pick Baltar.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Felinoid posted:

If you really like Hilgard, you'll vote for someone else so we can transoul daddy into her for big gains. I'm going for Baltar.

E: Permanent family bonding is the best family bonding. :laugh:

Freiber is Annalot's dad, not Hilgard's, but even so they are pretty close.
I agree with this, basically (in that I already voted but wanted to second the point).

BlazeEmblem posted:

Wow. All of these guys look terrible, but Rolf looks the least terrible.

How so? Keep in mind that Wizards use Gram attacks in the Law phase.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Rangpur posted:

Glad I found this thread again in time for you to show off the game's peak bullshit. I don't believe for a second anyone found that without looking it up/data mining the game. Maybe--MAYBE--someone broke it by accident, but waiting around for it to respawn and then breaking it again? No.

Anyway, I vote for none of the above wizards, as I am heavily biased towards an upcoming recruit. (Also they're garbage during the Law phase, so a high Law Index doesn't mean much.) Have we picked a permanent Lance Knight? Because Gudrun gets crazy strong if you get her caught up (which takes like, 2-3 souls, tops).

Our permanent Lance Knight is Alonso.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why are people spelling his name "Freiben"?

This has been bothering me as well.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Well to be honest, I was planning to have a round of voting for a second string Warrior, to give some relief to Johann and share the Vitality costs. I have no problems doing a whole round of second stringers if people are interested.

I was already interested. After seeing that Long-Haired Officer wizard in one of the cutscenes, more so.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It doesn't look like you need to stop the monster reels from left to right when you're choosing what enemies will appear in each round. In situations like the one this video where you need a specific monster, you might consider saving the reel with that monster on it for last, so that it's slower and easier to time.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

vilkacis posted:

...I liked both the new recruits. Shame they're going to be fusion fodder in the future.

I also like both our new recruits. Morozof in particular I feel would make a good second-string Wizard...

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'll put in my votes for Josef for Warrior and Minotta for Hermit.

Here's my thought process:
Firenz and Bailey both have a low starting level, and that causes problems with weapon selection, so I passed them over immediately.
Fritz has low base Vitality and low immediate Vitality growth.
That leaves Josef and Theonil; out of those two I like Josef's visual design better, plus he has a very high Chaos index.

On the Hermit side, Beatrix's visual design is really nice but her Chaos index is super low, which is a downside given Hermit Law attacks' awkward diagonal range (and you have deal with status effects).
Frances' balanced indices make her fairly versatile, but her level, base vitality, and vitality growth are all low! Being cute does not make up for this.
Minotta's higher Chaos index and manageable Vitality growth make her the best option of the three I think.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Aquina's boss theme is still actually probably the... second or third best one in the game for me, behind... we'll get to that eventually.

Her name, oddly enough, was different in Japan, closer to "Acqueline".

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'll vote Gudrun for Lance Knight and Ganosh for Archer.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

As much as I'd like to give the 1st Order a shot I'm also changing my vote to Granitz, his design is too cool.

(my Lance Knight vote stays Gudrun, she's hitting basically every Est ping)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

BlazeEmblem posted:

If someone reading this hasn't figured it out yet, here are the boss names so far:

Jamie
Rivulia
Gunther
Dotaurus
Scoppio
Leonil
Aquina
Capehorn

It's not that hard to figure out, but some of them (Jamie and Gunther) only fit due to process of elimination.

I just realized it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Time for another vote!

I'm going to vote hold on a second Priestess. For Duelists, we don't have Seriee's VIT growth graph around so it'll be hard to vote with the information we currently have.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'll go ahead and vote for Seriee for second Duelist. (Still no second Priestess vote, I'm holding out for someone we've already seen.)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Can Maria trigger EX-Skills on non-lightning weapons? It seems likely, but I can't be sure just yet.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Morozof

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

vilkacis posted:

e2: Okay, what the gently caress is up with those monkey avatars? I'm seeing them all over the place lately.

It's the new "stupid newbie"/"GARBAGE DICK", anyone that had that got it replaced.

e:fb

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Maria Bonus posted:

"Ex Skill" is a little awkward

It's most likely short for "Execution Skill", as this abbreviation was used for Ein's Disaresta and playable Ledah's Lost Seraph back in Riviera.

Edit: Apparently I fail Perception.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 17, 2015

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I can't believe Hilgard is a spoiler hound.

e: Sacchito is supposed to be pronounced "saw-key-toe", and I've always read Mehse as "may-za" since it seemed vaguely Germanic.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 14, 2015

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Sorry about this! Please, if I'm pronouncing something stupidly, let me know ASAP so hopefully I can mitigate the damage I'm doing :v:

AweStriker posted:

Sacchito is supposed to be pronounced "saw-key-toe" (as the original kana are サキト, "sakito"), and I've always read Mehse as "may-za" since it seemed vaguely Germanic (but can't check that one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Polsy posted:

It's メーセ, if you want to guess what they might have been going for

That's "me-se" so it actually is pretty close, yes.

• Locked thread