Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
why does every dumbshit games poster who's trying to sound like they know anything about game design use this word incorrectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I haven't really noticed because getting upset about it seems really trifling and dumb.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
i like when people watch a few episodes of Extra Credits and somehow think they're game design gods.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Can you please post some anonymous examples you've seen OP?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
how do you use it

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
guy who fixes my car: mechanic

boss puts big circle on ground i jump over: mechanic

:confused:

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

No Such Thing posted:

I haven't really noticed because getting upset about it seems really trifling and dumb.

it is extremely trifling and dumb.

Powercrazy posted:

Can you please post some anonymous examples you've seen OP?

i was reading the smash bros thread in games and someone called the perma-death system in fire emblem a mechanic and i got real care about it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

DARPA Dad posted:

i was reading the smash bros thread in games and someone called the perma-death system in fire emblem a mechanic and i got real care about it

:laugh:

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Oil of Paris posted:

how do you use it

mechanics are player initiated actions that change the gamestate in terms of the variables or dynamics of the game system while something like the perma-death in fire emblem is a "system" or an "element" or a "feature" or "i am incredibly fuckign gay"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
lol you read games

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
i agree with that use. jumping on dumbass goomba: mechanic. limited lives: feature/element

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I never really thought about it before OP, and probably never will in the future.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

DARPA Dad posted:

mechanics are player initiated actions that change the gamestate in terms of the variables or dynamics of the game system while something like the perma-death in fire emblem is a "system" or an "element" or a "feature" or "i am incredibly fuckign gay"

Another word for the perma-death in fire emblem is "mechanic". You are incredibly dumb, dumber even than the good posters of Games. gently caress yourself.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Ragg posted:

Another word for the perma-death in fire emblem is "mechanic". You are incredibly dumb, dumber even than the good posters of Games. gently caress yourself.

you arent correct

Oil of Paris posted:

i agree with that use. jumping on dumbass goomba: mechanic. limited lives: feature/element

ty for agreeing w/ me

darealkooky posted:

lol you read games

i used to a lot then i got sick of it and now i onlt read the smash bros thread

Dec 26, 2012

DARPA Dad posted:

permadeath isnt even developed enough to be a system or anything, its just a fact you have to work with. at least in every fe other than the one where you have to have x units dead to get bonus stages+characters but nobody likes that one so whatever

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

It's actually a mechanism.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

What you're saying kinda makes sense, but now I'm just wondering who came up with these arbitrary distinctions between mechanic/system/element/whatever.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

No Such Thing posted:

What you're saying kinda makes sense, but now I'm just wondering who came up with these arbitrary distinctions between mechanic/system/element/whatever.

Board game developer Sid Sackson, in 1965.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

the core mechanic of super mario bros 3 was jumping.

let that sink in for a moment

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

No Such Thing posted:

game designers so they wouldn't get confused with each other when talking about this stuff

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

No Such Thing posted:

It doesn't make any sense and the OP is a retard.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Ragg posted:

It doesn't make any sense and the OP is a retard.

Owned

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Your right, people on this site really do misuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the most misused word is "human being," everybody here calls me one even when i tell them to stop, and when i try to tell the mods they use it too. lol what a bunch of tards

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LaTex Fetish posted:

the core mechanic of super mario bros 3 was jumping.

let that sink in for a moment

Running too.

Anyway, permadeath as a mechanic or a "feature," seems like petty semantics to me OP. But if you wanted to be strict, I suppose I could accept permadeath as a feature instead of a core mechanic. however I would still take issue with your claim that it is the most misused word.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

DARPA Dad posted:

why does every dumbshit games poster who's trying to sound like they know anything about game design use this word incorrectly

Ok.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DARPA Dad posted:

mechanics are player initiated actions that change the gamestate in terms of the variables or dynamics of the game system
so me voting this thread 1 is a mechanic?

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Endorph posted:

so me voting this thread 1 is a mechanic?

yeah

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Running too.

Anyway, permadeath as a mechanic or a "feature," seems like petty semantics to me OP. But if you wanted to be strict, I suppose I could accept permadeath as a feature instead of a core mechanic. however I would still take issue with your claim that it is the most misused word.

it is absolutely petty semantics

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

now what about me posting 'gas thread ban op,' is that a mechanic

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

well, op, I hope this thread helped you work out your issues then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
do you have this argument with your peers when you design weapons for DARPA

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

No Such Thing posted:

The OP did, and now thou shalt suck it down. Romero 4:10.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Hmm... I suppose that's a salient point.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Hmm... I suppose that's a salient point.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:bravo:

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Wormskull posted:

The OP did, and now thou shalt suck it down. Romero 4:10.

Now its time to suck it (Raise middle fingers up high and proud). Steve Austin 6:9

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
who really gives a poo poo if you know what they mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Wombato posted:

who really gives a poo poo if you know what they mean?
but then what will i be insufferably smug about

• Locked thread