Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if you think about it, gamers are the real mechanic

we are the x factor of video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The most Games thread in the IZ right now

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGuuOdD6iY4

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I try not to read Games for this reason, OP.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Endorph posted:

now what about me posting 'gas thread ban op,' is that a mechanic

Thats a feature of the thread being posted by said OP.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The OP's posting mechanic could use some work imo.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

wait i thinlk i found whgat the op it talking about lol

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

op pleas etell me how to achvie gamnig nirvana

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe the term has aged poorly and is now janky

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i like to think of them, as gam ething, op

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Fellis posted:

I dunno what this is except a really bad version of connect 4

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Schnedwob posted:

i like when people watch a few episodes of Extra Credits and somehow think they're game design gods.

gently caress Extra Credits

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fellis posted:

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

darealkooky posted:

lol you read games

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Fellis posted:

drat this is a good post because none of thse things are mechanics of a video game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
but what about the human desire of love

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Schnedwob posted:

i like when people watch a few episodes of Extra Credits and somehow think they're game design gods.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I think it's okay to refer to the permadeath example in the OP as a "mechanic," since nobody really cares anyways. Cheers.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

how i read the graphic the first time

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I just got back from class too, op

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I think it's okay to refer to the permadeath example in the OP as a "mechanic," since nobody really cares anyways. Cheers.

I Care

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
*takes a little too much adderall before college this morning*

NO GUYS, ITS NOT A MECHANIC, IT'S A loving SYSTEM. I'D APPRECIATE A LITTLE CLARITY IN YOUR USE OF LANGUAGE, THANKS

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

autism is a game mechanic not a human desire, I need you to flip your x and y axii on that one

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Schnedwob posted:

i transcended into becoming a god after i listened to the tf2 commentary and learned about the importance of silhouettes and body language 'n' poo poo

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Prodigal T-REX posted:

too much adderall

:staredog:

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Prodigal T-REX posted:

*takes a little too much adderall before college this morning*

NO GUYS, ITS NOT A MECHANIC, IT'S A loving SYSTEM. I'D APPRECIATE A LITTLE CLARITY IN YOUR USE OF LANGUAGE, THANKS

i graduated from college a while ago

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ragg posted:

Another word for the perma-death in fire emblem is "mechanic". You are incredibly dumb, dumber even than the good posters of Games. gently caress yourself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DARPA Dad posted:

i graduated from college a while ago

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

ty

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I really loathe Extra Credits and I don't know why. I don't like the ugly art, the squeaky voice and the condescending tone, but not liking stuff isn't the same as loathing it. I can't put my finger on what makes them so lovely.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Thank you, DARPA Dad, for telling us the difference between a system and a mechanic. Our games will be good now, instead of what they are, bad." -- EA President Steve Electronic-Arts

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I guess it stems from, if they're so good at acting like they're so awesome at designing games, where are their amazing games at?

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 13, 2014

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
there aren't any smart game devs with lots of experience, since by the time you're 30+ and have a wife and kid doing 80 hour weeks during crunch time for poo poo wages and 0 job security stops looking so cool
so you take the skills you've learned and take them to enterprise software or other management that gets you real money

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
My favorite Mechanic is Gundam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

I guess it stems from, if they're so good at acting like they're so awesome at designing games, where are their amazing games at?
if youre so good at making videos then where are yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
a good example of a mechanic is when bowser says the friend of the family word

• Locked thread