Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

My Hero Academia is a weekly manga published in Shounen Jump and made by Horikoshi Kouhei, who previously made Oumagadoki Zoo. It is the story of Izuku "Deku" Midoriya and his efforts to become a professional Hero. My Hero Academia takes place in an alternate reality Earth where people started developing super powers fairly recently, and many people have begun using those powers for villainous purposes! So of course the government started paying people with other powers to stop those villainous people. These powers are called "Quirks," and about 80% of all of humanity has a Quirk these days. They have become extremely common.

Izuku desperately wants to be a great hero, but he is Quirk-less. He has no power to speak of! But that won't stop him from trying to become a hero anyway. When his path crosses with All Might, the greatest hero of all time, he learns a great secret - and this secret is his ticket to success.

The series reads like if you took the first arc of Naruto and blended it with One Punch Man, and threw the result into the Tiger & Bunny Universe. It has had an extremely strong start, and it looks very good from where I'm sitting.

CHARACTERS

Izuku "Deku" Midoriya
Nicknamed "Deku" because he's a tiny little scrub with green bushy hair. He is way too heroic for his own good, and dives into trouble without a second thought. But at the same time, he's spent all his life Quirk-less and bullied, and he is extremely reluctant to put himself out there unless something's on the line.

All Might
The greatest hero who ever lived, the number one strongest and most unstoppable man in the world, All Might's exact powers are a total secret. All anyone can tell about his power is that it is completely absurd. He hides a secret that no one can ever be allowed to know, and Izuku finds out about it. This character is the source of all One Punch Man vibes in this series, for any readers coming from that.

Bakugou Katsuki
A childhood friend of Izuku, Katsuki has an extremely powerful Quirk - the ability to create explosions. His power has gone to his head, and he wants more than anything to use it as often as possible. He's resolved to become a professional hero so he can do exactly that. He used to be friends with Izuku, but ever since developing his power, he's seen Izuku as nothing more than a pebble on his path to glory.

Uraraka Uchako
Nicknamed "Infinity Girl," Urarako has the power to make things weightless. She is a very kind and earnest girl, and Deku's first real friend. Chances are extremely high that she is just as lame as he is.

Aizawa Shouta
The teacher for Hero Academy's Class A. He is also known as "Eraserhead," because he has the power to take away people's Quirks. He is infamous for having an extremely high expulsion rate among his students.

RECEPTION

This series has been running for only three months as of this posting, but apparently it's been in Shounen Jump's top 5 consistently for the past month now, running toe to toe with the likes of One Piece and Assassination Classroom. This series has a strong potential to fill in the gap left by Naruto as the next Big Shounen Jump Series. This is worth keeping an eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good series so far. Hopefully the Jump mandate won't gently caress this one over like the rest of this year's new entries.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
This is what One-Punch Man would be like if Saitama was a more charismatic person and is capable of passing on his superhuman abilities. And no, the 100 push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, and 10 km runs aren't what really made him the juggernaut he is.

I really am enjoying this series so far. Each time Deku pulls off something through pure grit and shounen makes me feel great reading this. Hopefully this can reach a satisfying conclusion, unlike some of the other series that was published by SJ.

Also, thanks for making this thread.

E: fixed for spoilers.

jwang fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 13, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

jwang posted:

And no, the 100 push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, and 10 km runs aren't what really made him the juggernaut he is.

:thejoke:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

jwang posted:

This is what One-Punch Man would be like if Saitama was a more charismatic person and is capable of passing on his superhuman abilities. And no, the 100 push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, and 10 km runs aren't what really made him the juggernaut he is.

I was really excited about potentially reading this one day and you just... you just ruined it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's cool, he forgot the air conditioner.

e: Also this had one of the fastest turn arounds for me of any manga. It went from chapter 1 "Oh goody, another whiny pissant shonen protagonist" to chapter 2 and "Huh, this has promise".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 13, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm all about this series. Hope it sticks around for a good long time.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Good series so far. Hopefully the Jump mandate won't gently caress this one over like the rest of this year's new entries.

The first volume release sold really well, so I think the series is safe.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What is the Jump mandate?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Devil Tesla posted:

What is the Jump mandate?

It's not really a mandate, It's more that people can never seem to grasp that if series aren't popular they have to adapt in order to not get cut from the magazine. No matter the perceived quality of the series. If it's not popular and isn't selling then Jump would be stupid to keep it around. Death Note was able to flourish and it very much was not your standard shonen fare solely because it got ratings and sold very well.

Most of the the time that Adaptation changes it to a more action based series, sometimes it's successful(Reborn, Medaka Box) other times it's not(Oumagadoki Zoo).

Hero seems to be popular so it will be allowed to go on without having to make changes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That but the re-tool is always into crap.

I can't think of one series that went from idea A to "Dragonball with X" without turning to poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ConanThe3rd posted:

That but the re-tool is always into crap.

I can't think of one series that went from idea A to "Dragonball with X" without turning to poo poo.

You and I probably have different opinions, but I loved Medaka Box, and Reborn's transition was great until about half way through the Future arc. Where the author got Toyetic as hell.

My point is if they don't attempt the retool then they get canceled, so the Author can either accept the cancellation and work on something else, or they try and change things up and see if it sticks.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

The Author can either accept the cancellation and work on something else

Yea, they can just get fired from their jobs if they don't like it.

For real tho, it's really weird that you care so much about sales and business poo poo, it really should only matter if a manga is something you want to read or not. And fans have a right to be miffed a manga they like changes into something they don't, no matter what the reason. And if you want Jump to have a lot of interesting and good manga, a balanced approach that isn't only concerned with short term sales would mean we'd end up with more good manga.

Like, I'm not big into Jump but what I'm saying here is true no matter if you're talking about manga or any other pop culture thing. I feel really weird when gamers talk about poo poo like "IP" and movie fans pour over movie box office reports.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yea, they can just get fired from their jobs if they don't like it.

For real tho, it's really weird that you care so much about sales and business poo poo, it really should only matter if a manga is something you want to read or not. And fans have a right to be miffed a manga they like changes into something they don't, no matter what the reason. And if you want Jump to have a lot of interesting and good manga, a balanced approach that isn't only concerned with short term sales would mean we'd end up with more good manga.

Like, I'm not big into Jump but what I'm saying here is true no matter if you're talking about manga or any other pop culture thing.

If you want to talk to me about how bad the ranking system in Jump is, then I will be right there first in line, but in the end I realize that my opinion on the quality of a series means little to nothing, I'm in a foreign country, reading this poo poo for (mostly) free. If the targeted audience in Japan doesn't like the series and put money into it then obviously it's not going to last unless they find a way to make it appealing.

Like I loving loved Mx0, Oumadoki Zoo, and other various shortish series in Jump. But obviously not much of the targeted audience did. poo poo Mx0 only lasted as long as it did because of the fanservice the artist started to add in, as well as a tournament arc IIRC.

I can and often do hate the results, but completely understand why that decision was made. Like I ended up disliking everything after the Future arc in Reborn, but I will never hate on an artist or company that chooses to make money over do what is "artistically right". As I can't be so sure that I wouldn't make a similar decision if I were given that choice.

That even goes to American TV, where some of my favorite shows were canceled due to corporate and marketing bullshit. Like I loving loved Spectacular Spider-man but because of how the contract was written Marvel would have had to pay Sony a gently caress ton of money to keep that show going and it wasn't worth it to them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This series is good poo poo, OP.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Real good poo poo.
He's going to get ridiculed For his blatant fanboy costume, isnt he?

drat good costume design in this series, art is top notch.
And I want a Kamui pez dispenser now.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I love grenade hands.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is a good, goofy :unsmith: series and I hope this is Horikoshi Kouhei's work that finally sticks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like the girl that's basically Toad from X-Men.

I also like that this series is pretty much the movie Sky High. Which is okay because that movie ruled.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Waffleman_ posted:

I like the girl that's basically Toad from X-Men.

I also like that this series is pretty much the movie Sky High. Which is okay because that movie ruled.

Not gonna lie, frog girl has by far my favorite design. I really hope we get an entire chapter dedicated just to her at some point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I noticed she's got a good deal of fan art, so it seems she's popular among the Japanese readerbase as well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I noticed she's got a good deal of fan art, so it seems she's popular among the Japanese readerbase as well.

That can't be good. :stonklol:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is it odd that I've always liked the japanese twist on western superheroes? Think T&B and OPM, the heroes are mostly motivated by crass human demands such as fame and status, instead of some ineffably nonsense. Plus the characters aren't weighed down by reams of history, I have no compulsion to read about how Batman defeated the Clockman or about Spiderman's 3 ex-girlfriends or the time Captain America punched Obama in the stomach.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Have you ever tried Robert Kirkman's Invincible? It's got lots of that, and plus, like One Punch Man and so on, starts at a clearly-defined place without loads of history like the Marvel/DC stable.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Chapter 8: Ferocity of a loving Nerd

I don't know if that's the correct title, but it's great anyways

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I keep reading them with the voices of certain well-known anime voice actors in my mind. Like, Deku sounds exactly like Yuri Lowenthal in my mind, and Infinity Girl sounds just like Hynden Walch. It's pretty great. :allears:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man I really think this series is going places. The art is just super crisp and All Might is hilarious in like every panel he's in. I also like the Deku/Ochacko team-up so I hope they get to stick around as a pair :allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

This is a really good feel-good series. It makes me smile. :unsmith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

I keep reading them with the voices of certain well-known anime voice actors in my mind. Like, Deku sounds exactly like Yuri Lowenthal in my mind, and Infinity Girl sounds just like Hynden Walch. It's pretty great. :allears:

I read the new chapter after reading this, and I started doing it too. For me, it was

Deku-Yuri Lowenthal
Uraraka-Stephanie Sheh
Katsuki-Bryce Pappenbrook
Iida-Johnny Yong Bosch
Yuuga-Vic Mignogna
Tsuyu-Wendee Lee
All Might-J. Michael Tatum

Edit: Also Aizawa is Liam O'Brien.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 15, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aw, the costume his mom made for him already got ruined. Sad.

Xoidanor posted:

That can't be good. :stonklol:

There's probably bad stuff out there, because of course there is, but the art of her I've seen is pretty good, at least. That post is actually what got me curious about the series; decided to look it up after seeing that. Discovered that the rest of the comic is really good too.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Aw, the costume his mom made for him already got ruined. Sad.

There's probably bad stuff out there, because of course there is, but the art of her I've seen is pretty good, at least. That post is actually what got me curious about the series; decided to look it up after seeing that. Discovered that the rest of the comic is really good too.

That's some dope art, so good call.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh hey, the protagonist ISN'T completely useless right off in a combat situation like any other manga would have them be?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DrSunshine posted:

Have you ever tried Robert Kirkman's Invincible? It's got lots of that, and plus, like One Punch Man and so on, starts at a clearly-defined place without loads of history like the Marvel/DC stable.

Invincible is also really badly paced and rapidly devolves into one of the worst comics on the stands, due in no small part to the fact that Kirkman is one of the worst modern comic book writers. Please don't recommend it to people who like good comics like My Hero Academia.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Oh hey, the protagonist ISN'T completely useless right off in a combat situation like any other manga would have them be?

Well, he did spend a year or whatever training really hard, so his base strength/stamina should be higher than most of the other students'.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

Invincible is also really badly paced and rapidly devolves into one of the worst comics on the stands, due in no small part to the fact that Kirkman is one of the worst modern comic book writers. Please don't recommend it to people who like good comics like My Hero Academia.

Yeah, invincible starts really well, a fun super-hero book that borrows a lot of good things from other series and then, I really don't know how to describe it, it *quickly* goes in a bizarre super-violence hyper-serious poo poo path totally on purpose, as if the 90s never happened.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

trucutru posted:

Yeah, invincible starts really well, a fun super-hero book that borrows a lot of good things from other series and then, I really don't know how to describe it, it *quickly* goes in a bizarre super-violence hyper-serious poo poo path totally on purpose, as if the 90s never happened.

It doesn't even start well. It's got some interesting ideas but right from the start it's hampered by uneven pacing and Kirkman's inability to write dialog. I still like the fight between Mark and Nolan, because it really captures that platonic ideal of the the superpowers as puberty metaphor, but Jesus that book does not hold up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Here's a caveat for new readers: The original translation of the first chapter was shoddy as all hell and somewhat painful to read. The group has since redone that chapter and put that translation on Batoto, but if you're on a non-Batoto site, you might still encounter the original.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hahaha that's so fuckin' cheesey I can't help but love it.

But Ichigo should have like, a big claw-mark across his face for the real anime-style Tragic Family Portrait-effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One detail I really liked was All Might reassuring Deku that he didn't pull any strings to get him in. It's a small but important moment that an inferior writer could easily have skipped, and it gives me confidence in the quality of the story.

Also, holy poo poo that first chapter's translation was horrible.