Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

People generally liked All Might’s power suit and Bakugo killing that baby. Though the last chapter kind of hurt the impact of the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I really liked the Overhaul arc, but I think it's also the point where the manga started having its cast bloat issues as more characters outside the school were introduced while the rest of the call outside of the Deku, Bakugo, Todoroki trio started to fade into the background. Like, Uraraka and Tsuyu were also in that arc, but their big fight of the arc happened entirely off screen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

bobjr posted:

People generally liked All Might’s power suit and Bakugo killing that baby. Though the last chapter kind of hurt the impact of the latter.

Bakugo fighting a baby on live television really is the most Bakugo thing imaginable.

Rhonne posted:

I really liked the Overhaul arc, but I think it's also the point where the manga started having its cast bloat issues as more characters outside the school were introduced while the rest of the call outside of the Deku, Bakugo, Todoroki trio started to fade into the background. Like, Uraraka and Tsuyu were also in that arc, but their big fight of the arc happened entirely off screen.

Nejire also was the only member of the Big Three who didn't get to show off why she had that title. I think her Quirk also is overall treated as less impressive than either of the other two.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

"bakugo fought a baby" was, like most of MHA, far better as a meme or idea than it was in execution.

he didn't even kill the baby. pathetic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There would be a lot more leeway given to MHA if the fights were, you know, better. Far too many of them come down to one side punching harder without any creativity or tricks or anything, or even at least a cathartic buildup and release (Deku vs Muscular, U.S. Smash, Endeavor/Hawks vs High-End). It's a big part of why Shigaraki vs. Everyone sucked badly, everyone lined up to deliver their hardest punch and he just shrugged all of them off. Do you remember anything about the final Shoto vs. Dabi fight?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mymla posted:

???
Have you *seen* freeza?

Despite childhood memories of Toonami constantly restarting the show and Freeza seeming like unending bullshit, the pacing is actually pretty brisk. They know Freeza can transform before the fight starts, and he says early on, "btw I have 2 more transformations besides this first one." He doesn't just unexpectedly keep pulling new powerups out of his rear end forever.
The fight against him also ended in half the time this battle with Shigaraki/AFO has been going on.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

bobjr posted:

I've generally been pretty positive on all of the finale up until this chapter and when Shigaraki was shrugging off everything to an annoying extent. Toga, All Might beating up Kid AfO and Bakugo fighting a baby were definite highlights though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The slugfest between Shigaraki and everyone on the floating UA building went on way too long. Everything else was pretty alright IMO. I liked armored All Might vs AFO a lot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I've also liked quite a lot of this finale. Though I admit it's pretty clear that there's a "Trying to hit every planned beat, but also clearly not giving time to breathe" air to it all. This has been a twist I have not liked and I was always negative on AFO being involved because I really did gel with Horikoshi's "The battle between All Might and AFO should be seen as the finale of its own manga." And he's right... including the part where a sequel story bringing back the defeated villain undermines that moment.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Gruckles posted:

Despite childhood memories of Toonami constantly restarting the show and Freeza seeming like unending bullshit, the pacing is actually pretty brisk. They know Freeza can transform before the fight starts, and he says early on, "btw I have 2 more transformations besides this first one." He doesn't just unexpectedly keep pulling new powerups out of his rear end forever.
The fight against him also ended in half the time this battle with Shigaraki/AFO has been going on.

this (and Endorph's post), but also sorry but if you read/watched Dragon Ball up to that point and thought that the main antagonist of a big part of the story was going to lose to Krillin and Gohan while Goku took a nap then I don't know what to tell you

"Freeza didn't lose to Piccolo because he turned into H.R Giger" is awesome, "Shigaraki can't be Punched Hard because he has too many hands or whatever" is not

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleck posted:

this (and Endorph's post), but also sorry but if you read/watched Dragon Ball up to that point and thought that the main antagonist of a big part of the story was going to lose to Krillin and Gohan while Goku took a nap then I don't know what to tell you

That's literally what happened to Vegeta.

(I know what you're saying just pointing out "Goku is disabled and Gohan and Krillin have to fight the final boss" is how the previous arc ended, with a tie-in with Yajirobi.)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ImpAtom posted:

I will not stand for this disrespect of Yajirobe

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Gruckles posted:

I watched dragon ball kai a few months ago and the pacing is absolutely not brisk, not even after it's been edited down to watchable levels.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Bleck posted:

I will not stand for this disrespect of Yajirobe

More series need to have a Yajirobe. Some dude who shows up and effortlessly trounces someone who wiped the floor with the main protag, but does not feel like getting into all this nonsense and fucks off to hang with his cat and eat beans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

More series need to have a Yajirobe. Some dude who shows up and effortlessly trounces someone who wiped the floor with the main protag, but does not feel like getting into all this nonsense and fucks off to hang with his cat and eat beans.

We also call that a Kuwabara.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mymla posted:

I watched dragon ball kai a few months ago and the pacing is absolutely not brisk, not even after it's been edited down to watchable levels.

I just finished my Kai recently and I had no issue with Frieza at all, but everything from Super/Evil Buu onwards was pretty much unwatchable.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nScJwkDWvJA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

(I know what you're saying just pointing out "Goku is disabled and Gohan and Krillin have to fight the final boss" is how the previous arc ended, with a tie-in with Yajirobi.)
to be fair the difference is goku did fight and heavily damage vegeta and gohan/krillin/yajirobe were just the people who had to desperately work to finish him off. (and technically, both the spirit bomb and turning gohan into an ape were goku's ideas and hes the one who started them, he just wasnt able to physically hit vegeta with them). in the frieza fight's case goku hadnt even seen him while gohan, krillin, vegeta, and piccolo were fighting him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

to be fair the difference is goku did fight and heavily damage vegeta and gohan/krillin/yajirobe were just the people who had to desperately work to finish him off. (and technically, both the spirit bomb and turning gohan into an ape were goku's ideas and hes the one who started them, he just wasnt able to physically hit vegeta with them). in the frieza fight's case goku hadnt even seen him while gohan, krillin, vegeta, and piccolo were fighting him.

Oh yeah, 100% accurate

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ImpAtom posted:

In a cast of great characters Kuwabara might just be the best out of them all

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

In a cast of great characters Kuwabara might just be the best out of them all

My opinion after over 20 years of watching and re-watching YYH is that it is entirely carried by Yusuke, Kuwabara, and the bad guys, with an assist from Genkai whenever she shows up. Kurama and Hiei have really lost any appeal for me as they feel so much less realized and interesting than our two human heroes.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a major reason why Three Kings is so disliked. I enjoy where Kuwabara's character ends up, but his absence really hurts the story, and neither Hei nor Kurama could come close to picking up the slack.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

NikkolasKing posted:

My opinion after over 20 years of watching and re-watching YYH is that it is entirely carried by Yusuke, Kuwabara, and the bad guys, with an assist from Genkai whenever she shows up. Kurama and Hiei have really lost any appeal for me as they feel so much less realized and interesting than our two human heroes.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a major reason why Three Kings is so disliked. I enjoy where Kuwabara's character ends up, but his absence really hurts the story, and neither Hei nor Kurama could come close to picking up the slack.

I only read the latter half of YYH and not watched it but lack of Kuwabara aside, Three Kings just felt rushed to all hell and iirc Yusuke got the big share of screen time there regardless with the two demons having little to do. And then there was something to do with a terrorist cult after that. But I did like the little series of "where are they now"s at the very end, at least.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

So really it should be called a Sabat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dog Kisser posted:

Also why Vigilantes is good tbh. Koichi's quirk was a very middling meh quirk that would have been only a fun party trick until he decided to train it heavily.

This isn't really true. Even at the very start of the series, Koichi's quirk was "a better version of the top hero Ingenium's." It was always an extremely strong movement quirk.

Gruckles posted:

It's important to note that DBZ's manga pacing is radically better than its anime pacing.

And the manga is the best comparison, since we're talking about the MHA manga.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 11, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah even with kais 'edits' it still retains a lot of filler thats just inherently baked into the fights in terms of how the anime portrayed them. most of its cuts are just episodes that are entirely filler. so the anime pacing, even in kai, is still a lot slower than the dbz manga

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Is there a single shonen manga to anime adaptation that has good pacing? Honest question, I haven't seen a lot of the big names.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FMA Brotherhood was pretty good about that (though the final act of the story does go on for a while), I also think Chainsaw Man does a good job with it because it wasn't afraid to massage the material a bit to find good episodic stories, which always helps

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleck posted:

Is there a single shonen manga to anime adaptation that has good pacing? Honest question, I haven't seen a lot of the big names.

A lot of stuff that comes out either near the end of a series or after it has finished airing tends to do a lot better than anything coming out as a series is being published.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bleck posted:

There is no case for saying the MHA anime has bad pacing. It's extremely to the point without feeling rushed.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

There is no case for saying the MHA anime has bad pacing. It's extremely to the point without feeling rushed.

Season 1 has terrible pacing. It was the natural ending point, but it's 9 episodes of content stretched out to a full cour.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also the anime inherits the pacing problems of the manga (Joint Training) and creates a bunch of its own (Joint Training being a full loving cour)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

Season 1 has terrible pacing. It was the natural ending point, but it's 9 episodes of content stretched out to a full cour.
Season 1 was in production before the first volume went to the printers IIRC

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Something is bugging me about the chapter. Why is Yoichi gone? Didn't Deku give One For All to Shigaraki?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shinjobi posted:

Mineta will win by shouting "I love titties" and it would be the least batshit thing to happen in the last year of the series.

:getin:We are 100% in play, folks.:getin:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Casey Finnigan posted:

toga will show up one last time to say uraraka.... ur a baka and then stab her in the back and uraraka will die. Sorry for spoilers

That ending is chanelling "Joran: Princess of Snow and Blood" vibes. But Uraraka actually contributed so not quite.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Mirio is so dope. What a cool power

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay but when was the last time you watched something that wasn't anime

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

Dr. Stone?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shokugeki’s pacing was also good and it really improved on the manga at parts minus the second half of the series being upsetting for how bad it got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think there's "good pacing for a shounen" and "good pacing for a TV show" and fewer things hit that second mark