Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shokugeki’s pacing was also good and it really improved on the manga at parts minus the second half of the series being upsetting for how bad it got

For me, from season 2 onwards Shokugeki had the opposite problem as usual. Everything was sped through at breakneck speed. They got through a lot of battles very quickly, but that seemed to be because two looped frames of Soma chopping vegetables, and panned shots of an inert audience are easier to produce than the kids hanging out at the dorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I love Dr. Stone but the pacing completely fell apart in the back half with the gang rapidly traveling around the entire world and doing a functionally off-screen speedrun of rebuilding multiple cities, governments, and entire supply chains while cutting out the majority of the step-by-step science stuff that had been the hallmark of the series. The climax and ending weren't bad and didn't ruin the series but the pacing went completely to poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dr Stone's back half was pretty good if a bit too fast, but the actual ending and big reveal was pretty stupid.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

oh jay posted:

For me, from season 2 onwards Shokugeki had the opposite problem as usual. Everything was sped through at breakneck speed. They got through a lot of battles very quickly, but that seemed to be because two looped frames of Soma chopping vegetables, and panned shots of an inert audience are easier to produce than the kids hanging out at the dorm.

The final season is incredibly funny for this because even the dialogue felt fast. Like the director told the VAs to speedrun their lines.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
https://tcb-backup.bihar-mirchi.com/chapters/7711/my-hero-academia-chapter-420

Finally, the real hero is here, Mineta will save us all.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m going to have to see the official translation, because Deku seems to be implying that this isn’t actually the AfO vestige taking over, but something else? Seems odd for this kind of speculation if it isn’t true. However this now gives me a theory that would retroactively make the last chapter suck less: this is Dr Garaki’s quirk ghost pretending to be AfO and he’s the actual mastermind all along. This would also be able to have a reveal that maybe Deku also had a quirk originally.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Punished Mineta

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lmao

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Did they really 'on your left' the final fight? Lmfao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I’m going to have to see the official translation, because Deku seems to be implying that this isn’t actually the AfO vestige taking over, but something else? Seems odd for this kind of speculation if it isn’t true. However this now gives me a theory that would retroactively make the last chapter suck less: this is Dr Garaki’s quirk ghost pretending to be AfO and he’s the actual mastermind all along. This would also be able to have a reveal that maybe Deku also had a quirk originally.

Oh, I like that. That'd also play into Garaki's Quirk (longevity): it'd influence his personality and behavior to the point that he'd look for other ways to extend his lifespan.

Aizawa being here also calls back to when he switched off Garaki's Quirk during the Jaku Hospital arc.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Eri really learned all the wrong lessons from Deku. That kid is hardcore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh my god Edgy Mineta is hilarious

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eggplant Squire posted:

Punished Mineta

:yeshaha:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
GRAPES OF WRATH

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

It's time for The Grapes of Wrath.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Mineta coming to save his maneta

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Dumb theory time: the AFO splinter in Shigaraki at the moment came from Deku's OFA and not from Shigaraki's subconscious.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Dumb theory time: the AFO splinter in Shigaraki at the moment came from Deku's OFA and not from Shigaraki's subconscious.

This was his plan from the moment he gave deku OFA. :colbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I hope its actually his dad come back from the quirk dimension to yell at his mom for being a super hero and dying

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Nuebot posted:

I hope its actually his dad come back from the quirk dimension to yell at his mom for being a super hero and dying

i hope it's this cause it would mean shigaraki's memories have sentience

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I swear to god if Deku originally had decay as a quirk and it was stolen from him (for some reason) I have bingo on my "dumb MHA plot" card.

Edit: not decay I meant a big quirk in general I'm just dumb with words right now.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rhonne posted:

Eri really learned all the wrong lessons from Deku. That kid is hardcore.

she did really like the buster sword

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I like this theory. Technically he was the holder of the power-storing quirk at one point, albeit briefly.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Official is out

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020780

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-420/chapter/42436?action=read

gently caress Death Arms. He's retirement was, like, the one real consequence after the war, other than Midnight. Walking that back and saying he's actually still heroic is so loving boring.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

oh jay posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-420/chapter/42436?action=read

gently caress Death Arms. He's retirement was, like, the one real consequence after the war, other than Midnight. Walking that back and saying he's actually still heroic is so loving boring.

That's a stupid as hell thing to say. "This one side character who never accomplished anything, but we know their name retiring is the only real consequence of the thing that destroyed society and lead to the current status quo

It's not like we're talking about a dude who had accomplished... anything? Was anything other than a background NPC? Why would you attach value to that over I dunno, Crust being introduced and killed effectively in the same event. Native dying, Mirko's limbs being gored, Shigaraki getting a cape.[/spoiler]

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ranking the importance of side characters is silly, but lol at remembering Native is a character

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I know this is supposed to be the big drat heroes moment, but every character dragged out for this has been gone so long that there's no emotion to it anymore. Like, I'm still reading cus I still honestly hope the author can pull this out in the end, and I don't want my contribution to this thread every week to just be "huh that sucked", but like.... it just felt like we were never given enough time with the characters as anything buck side stories to Deku that this moment feels like it's trying to cash in on something it never earned.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Also, like, is All For One going to muster up a random new army of his own, or are we really going to see hundreds of heroes popping up to job to AfO while Deku's arms heal?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Oh hey look, it's Endgame.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wanna see them all gang up on him with like hockey sticks

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I realize I'm basically writing fanfiction at this point, but gently caress I can almost taste what this whole loving nonsense shebang would've been if AfO stayed dead and Shiggy got to be the lead antagonist in his own right. Horikoshi hit on a genuinely affecting arc (Shigaraki becomes the hero of his own inverted story, fighting for people who don't get heroes' help) and, in terror of the social commentary he could end up making, veered hard into "inequality and abuse are because of this one incredibly evil man."

Imagine all this if the kids were fighting a Shiggy who got to be his own character. Imagine if it were an actual ideological conflict -- even a simplistic one! -- at this point and not Good Yelling and Bad Yelling.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
i kinda wonder if horikoshi just never figured out how to write a satisfying answer to shigaraki's character so he just came up with the most convoluted way you could punch a guy good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Neito posted:

I know this is supposed to be the big drat heroes moment, but every character dragged out for this has been gone so long that there's no emotion to it anymore. Like, I'm still reading cus I still honestly hope the author can pull this out in the end, and I don't want my contribution to this thread every week to just be "huh that sucked", but like.... it just felt like we were never given enough time with the characters as anything buck side stories to Deku that this moment feels like it's trying to cash in on something it never earned.

The next chapter begins with like half of these people getting instantly murked.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The next chapter begins with like half of these people getting instantly murked.

So THAT'S why Momo showed up. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's going to be some kind of dark comedy if the reason why Deku randomly lost his arms in Shigaraki's brain space is so we could get Round 3 of "people throw themselves at an invincible superboss to buy Deku time" in the same arc.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It is called Rule of Three...

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Looks like the official has Deku wondering how AfO is back, rather than TCB’s where it seemed to be Deku unsure of if it’s actually AfO. It really wouldn’t make sense to have it somehow be an echo of Garaki, but man him being the real mastermind would be so much loving cooler to me.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Lol at Deku already getting his arms back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, I really hate that Recovery Girl tells Deku outright that she's not going to heal him anymore if he's going to continue being reckless with his arms, and instead of learning a lesson, Deku winds up meeting Eri purely so he can keep getting healed despite his recklessness.