Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

I kinda prefer just watching characters grow/change more naturally than suddenly going ~2 years later!~ and now we have to re-introduce everyone and their stupid new designs and their new powers. And then do the stupid "Here's some dudes who would've been tough before but are now mooks for the goodguys to trounce to let you know, man they've really gotten strong!" poo poo before you conjure more powerful badguys that they'll have to struggle with...which means nothing has really changed.

When you know, could've just not done the loving timeskip in the first place and figured out how to pace your story better.

It's not really about pacing though, because good time skips change the entire world as well as the characters in a variety of ways. One Piece for instance didn't just use it to advance the main cast through lots of training, but to have the setting change in significant ways. The World Government elected new leaders and reorganized itself in a number of minor ways, with Smoker's squadron relocating to the other side of the Red Line because of changes in the way they needed to combat new criminal trends. Blackbeard consolidated power and became one of the new Pirate Emperors. Law became a Shichibukai and so on. All of that was necessary to the story to move forward, but none of it was really something we needed to watch in progress because the interesting thing is that it happened, now how it happened.

Sure, Oda could have had several arcs ending with the cast finding out how Blackbeard had beaten this or that major pirate to become ever more powerful before he's declared an Emperor, but there's no need to because none of those steps is important or interesting in and of itself - only the end result.

And personally, I'd prefer to have a story where the cast have to go away for two years and train to become powerful and be able to take on stronger foes than to just have them get naturally stronger over time without actually specifically training for it or really doing any kind of hard work towards that goal, because it makes every following enemy, including the ones they just chumped seem stronger than if they'd just gotten stronger over time without ever having to train specifically for it. I get why you hate them and don't disagree that they could be faults, but every single reason you just listed to dislike them is a reason why I personally do like them regardless.

Bad Seafood posted:

Let's take a break from Deku though to talk about All Might. All Might who's got it all. He's big and strong and charismatic and cool and always there to save the day. In theory, anyway. There's actually quite a few times he isn't, due to his deteriorating health (which makes sense). Beyond being physically incapacitated however, he's also shown to be skittish around people discovering his secret. As the world's No. 1 hero, the Symbol of Peace, he can't allow himself to be seen in such a state. What would people think? What would they believe in? As such, he's afraid to exhibit weakness. It's when he's most scared that he laughs, after all.

I think he might be skittish about people discovering his secret because it's a massive loving secret, not because it's a fault inherent to him personally. Once that secret is out there is no way to put it back in the bottle and it being out affects not just him, but every single one of his successors at the very least. It also makes it harder for him to find said successors, because if it was out there then people would be lining up to show how they deserve to inherit and he'd no longer be able to just find sincere people like Deku who earn it by nature of their personality rather than pushing to earn it. Neither he nor Deku really have the right to reveal it, not without a lot of forethought at the very least because it affects their successors so much. And that's presumably one of the main reasons he's so careful with the secret and nervous about it becoming public.

Additionally, All Might didn't have to worry about being seen as weak in his normal form for a long time from what we know, because he didn't have health issues which meant he had to switch to it at inopportune times - it's only recently that it's begun to affect him, and he's not worried about being seen weak for his own sake or because his fans would think less of him from what we gather, he's worried about being seen as weak because it'll dispel the veil of invulnerability he has to him at the moment and cause villains to attack him en masse until he does fall. Which is a very real threat. If the world found out that he couldn't hold his All Might form for more than a few minutes total then villains would attack continuously until he fell and there'd be more people hurt than otherwise in his absence because Deku isn't ready to take his full power yet.

Nothing we've seen would indicate that he was so nervous about it in the past given that all of it is predicated on health issues and he didn't have those concerns in the past. Deku is very unlikely to have such problems in the future, else he won't surpass All Might. He could keep a modest figure, mentally as well as physically, but personally I hope he doesn't. Not only would it mean that his burgeoning powers have no effect on him and his character doesn't actually grow based on his circumstances, but I'd find it more boring as well. I'd prefer to see a story where the hero gets more confident and self assured to the point that he's not afraid to be boisterous and kind of silly in public, rather than to see him remain a bit of a self-conscious nerd, the picture of humility despite a massive growth in just about every personal circumstance.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everything Burrito posted:

I also like Midoriya being the seemly-slight yet secretly-built underdog and don't really want him to end up with a big heroic swelled-up physique (or attitude). I anticipate him eventually wanting to get out of All Might's shadow and develop his own heroic image and see a lot of parallels between him/All Might and Todoroki/Endeavor that I hope get expounded on more.

I don't really see how those parallels can develop much past what they already are given that All Might doesn't push Deku to develop in specific ways or to adopt specific attitudes. He encourages him to do so instead, talking to him on a much more human and personal level than Endeavor does to Todoroki and trying to explain why he feels those things would be a good idea. The difference in attitude is so stark that it's really kind of impossible for Deku to feel like All Might is trying to mould Deku in ways he doesn't like, at least, not without Deku becoming kind of a whiny poo poo himself.

Not to mention that it's kind of impossible for it to happen physically, because as All Might himself explained, the more Deku's power grows the more his own power diminishes. By the time Deku is becoming a really big hero, All Might will basically be gone from the public eye entirely so Deku will be free to develop his own image as he sees fit. This isn't the case with Endeavor, who will continue to exist and operate at his own level of power regardless of how Todoroki grows and Todoroki is going to have to confront him verbally (and possibly physically) to get over their issues, rather than just continue to try to avoid him and his past.

The parallels with Todoroki are and basically always will be an inverse thing, where Deku and All Might have the healthy and positive relationship that Todoroki probably only dreams of having with a different father because his own hosed him up so much.

Also, while you can be as strong as All Might and be an underdog in specific circumstance as Bad Seafood pointed out, because someone has planned a trap against you based on knowledge of your weaknesses or whatever, you can't really be the underdog in general if you're that strong relative to everyone else. Even then, that's really more of a case of being at a disadvantage than being an underdog. Being somewhat thin and unassuming looking doesn't make you an underdog if you're one of the strongest men in the world despite that appearance.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 26, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

All Might allows his weaknesses to dictate what he can or can't do, whereas Deku doesn't. Of course All Might isn't shallow. He's practical. There's nothing he can do, or so he thinks. What's more, he's got to consider the bigger picture, being the Symbol of Peace to all of mankind. Even so, you've a clear division between a character who allows reality to hold him back from doing the right thing and a character who does the right thing in spite of his reality. Call if a hunch, but I think Deku's selflessness above and beyond the call of duty will be one of the things to distinguish him as a hero in his own right,beyond just being All Might's protegee.

One of the main take-aways for Deku from his fight against Todoroki was that he has to stop pushing himself so hard that he fucks himself up in the process and he needs to start being more practical regarding his powers in the future if he wants to have any kind of future at all. Something both he and All Might appeared to recognize when the nurse was explaining it to Deku. If he's already reaching the point where he has to start considering himself instead of others, at least in terms of being more cautious about use of his powers then I don't see how it's any different than All Might having to be practical and weigh the lives of citizens against personal risk. His decision was bigger than Dekus, but then, so was the personal risk given the whole All Might image he has to worry about.

Bad Seafood posted:

Characters can exhibit growth without radically altering their appearance and personality.

If you get Superman or All Might's powers and it doesn't radically affect the way you think and act then there's something wrong with you. Deku not becoming a much more confident, assertive and boisterous person would, to me, seem unnatural no matter how nerdy and modest he is at the moment because those things are built as much upon experience and how the world reacts to you as to any personal traits. You can't have all that power and win a lot without becoming more confident, you can't have decisions and lives resting upon you for an extended period without becoming more assertive (or just ducking out), you can't face death and survive on a continual basis without becoming affected by it in one way or another and so on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Prison Warden posted:

Deku will need to hit the gym then. I always got the impression that All Might's muscle bound from is what he legit looked like and he can return to his true form instead of looking half dead from injury. It wouldn't really be consistent if the Quirk just made Deku into the Hulk. I mean, it's kept vague enough that he could write it that way but considering the opposition he got to All Might's design in the fist place I doubt it.

How would it work exactly, given that we know that All Might has no quirk. Did the injury itself grant him the power to morph in to All Skel for some reason?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there anyone else it could actually be? It has to be a big time pro hero and Endeavour and All Might are really the only two big names we have. Aikawa, Midnight, Black Mist, Cementoss and others have popped up - but none of them have been shown to be big enough to deserve that reputation. It could be someone new, but I'd doubt it given the reaction.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mary Annette posted:

That codename might be the very first thing I don't like about Tsuyu.

Should have been Frogger. Or Frogirl.

I like that one of them is just straight up Invisible Girl - barring deliberate mis-translation I suppose.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I want her to get in to a pitched battle with the JSDF equivalent fielding machines to try and stop some huge monster, only for her to pick up a tank by the barrel and use it as a hammer to beat the poo poo out of the monster.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Prison Warden posted:

Well, like you say, when it's 90%+ of people, presumably with a decent portion of those being weird even in the sense of having an extra limb or so let alone more out there stuff, the sheer pressure of that much variety sort of forces accommodation. Quirks also make it easier to actually implement these changes. Hell, look at how big a deal wheelchair accessibility, for example, is in real life.

Yea, it's probably a lot easier to make changes to a building to accommodate new students or workers when you can just call up a guy like Cementoss and have him reshape the building itself like playdough in a few hours instead of hiring an entire team to come in and do it slowly over days or weeks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I find it more interesting that Stain has no interesting in working with someone who's just killing for it's own sake, and more than anything that there's someone trying to guide Shigaraki's growth in the same way All Might and now Torino (among others) are guiding Dekus. Also, Deku's new costume is nice, but seems a little generic. I want to see what he looks like with the mask and face plate up with it though.

The fact the face plate reminds me of Nuomo's huge teeth is a little odd too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stallion Cabana posted:

It makes sense and is generally a pretty good way to insert some sort of ambiguity into the situation without making it some kind of super dark 'Villains only exist because Heroes exist!', because not everyone really likes that sort of grit all the time.

I must admit, I'm not a fan of that theme in hero stories, though dark and gritty are not the words that would spring to mind when thinking of them to me personally. It honestly just seems silly and pointless to me. In a setting that has the technology, magic or whatever the heroes or villains are using to fight crime and each other someone is going to be taking advantage of it at some point, not just those specific characters, who merely happen to be using it. Getting in to a chicken and egg debate about which came first is stupid because they exist regardless and would continue to exist even if the hero hung up his cape. It'd be like insisting cops should all stop fighting crime because they just encourage criminal behavior. Unless you've got proof of your assertion and a better suggestion, then saying it is simply pissing in the wind to make your cause sound good and has all the depth of a puddle.

Fabricated posted:

Like Iida's costume is awesome but that helmet really kinda makes him look sinister.

I imagine that's deliberate and that he's supposed to look sinister given his current motivation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

He looked pretty sinister with it on even before he roleplayed being evil. Like the reveal of it I was like, "that helmet kinda makes him look like a villain."

Well, this seems like a story that's well planned out, at least to a certain point. Assuming Horikoshi planned this before now, having Iida using a sinister looking outfit, at least at the beginning makes sense. If he survives, and goes back to his (up to now) usual goofiness and good natured charm but keeps that helm then it'd be weird, but he could adapt the outfit a bit to make it less sinister looking if he survives his confrontation with Stain.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chumbler posted:

It will always be shounen, so if that turns you off I doubt anything that happens will change your opinion. It is, however, much better paced shounen which has thus far avoided the more annoying problems of most shounen, like the protagonist resolving everything always or underdeveloped side characters.

Maybe I just haven't been reading the truly terrible shonen stuff, but most shonen stories start off with good pacing from my experience, and blow through 3 or 4 arcs in the first 50 issues or less before they start becoming longer and more involved and eventually end up taking 100+ issues per arc and start to lose the run of their story around this point. Not to say that My Hero Academia isn't really good so far, but I'd hold off on commenting on how great it's pacing especially is until it's gotten 100/150 or so chapters under it's belt and seeing how it paces arcs at that point. You could say pretty much the same stuff you just did about My Hero Academia about Naruto and Bleach for their first 50 or 100 chapters after all, maybe more (memory is lovely and I ain't checking). And they turned to poo poo after a while.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It looks like the side characters are also going to be present for the rest of the story instead of the artist introducing new randoms with even more bizarre superpowers to make up for it. That's probably what's really going to set this apart.

Again, I wouldn't be too hasty to judge this, because again, shonen titles in my experience tend to be good at building and using side-characters during the establishing rush of chapters. It's presumably at least partially because when your hero is weaker and still getting their bearings other characters need to fill in for them, and also because when each arc is only a few chapters long it's easier to not forget the importance or existence of side characters as well as find simple ways to include them in short, self-contained stories. When your last arc was 80 chapters and your next one is 120 chapters and you're trying to ensure it moves the story forward and gently caress deadlines are coming and fans say they love this girl and hate that guy and where's my smokes, it's probably easier to lose track of what you were planning.

Bleach is a great example here because there were a lot of short and quick stories in the first run of chapters and while the story wasn't setting up nearly as many characters as My Hero Academia, each of the ones who were there seemed to have some importance and to have a role they could fill. And then Soul Society happened and we basically got an entirely new supporting cast and even the few who remained started to fade and Ichigo bled out whatever character he had so that he could become a pawn of the struggle between Urahara and big bad of arc in question. Naruto was much the same. A big cast of awesome supporting characters, a fun main character who had to struggle and had some personality, a rush of short but connected stories that then shat the bed.

Shonen stories don't have a problem starting strong, they have a problem keeping that steam. I don't mean for a minute to suggest that My Hero Academia won't keep it, but I will say that there was no sign in the early chapters of Bleach or Naruto of just how bad they would become so it's entirely possible it could happen. Especially given that this is the author's first long running series and he'll probably start to feel some pressure from at the very least editors after a while given it's success. The mark of a great shonen writer isn't starting a great story, it's finishing one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

A new omake for My Hero Academia is up!

I do love Yaoyorozu's bored pose and Frogirls 1920's style bathing suit.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 7, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, it's funny that someone was saying that the author of that Worm thing got overtly grim because he thought there were no more heroes in the world, because that's basically what Stain apparently thinks too. And as such, while I can't see him becoming a hero, I can see him dying to save one or something. On the other hand, he is being set up as a mentor for Shigaraki, which would seem to be incompatible with that, at least in all but the longest terms, so who knows?

kidcoelacanth posted:

I see nothing in this chapter to warrant that reaction

Agreed. This chapter is already upping the game on Nuomu, by making it Nuomus. If it was just one Noumu appearing, I'd feel some apprehension and figure poo poo was about to go down or that there'd at least be a really good fight. As is, it's basically the inverse law of ninjas or whatever it's called using monsters. One of them? He'll be badass. Three of them? They'll be chumps, because there's only really Gran Torino around to handle them, so he'll pound the three while Iida and Deku take on Stain. Even then, they're probably going to be rescued by someone else, because Iida has proven to just not be on his level and I doubt Deku has enough handle on his powers to do more than drive him off for the moment and, if Horikoshi wants to build Stain up, probably not even that.

It probably will be a good set of fights, but I doubt anything big is going to happen to either Iida or Stain, and the outcome is probably just him leaving with Shigaraki while the Noumus are taken out and Iida learning to be a little more cautious or something. Then again, I have been majorly wrong on stuff before, so maybe I will be on this too and this might be an indication major shits about to go down.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AtomikKrab posted:

It all depends on the power load out of this batch of noumus, if each one is different then you get a different layout of powers, so this could be interesting, also I think they are trying to work out how to get past the downsides of stuffing extra powers into people.

Someone up the line presumably is, but I don't think Shigaraki is that far up the line to know or for the moment care about it. He seems to be more a parallel to Deku in that he's a hope for the future of those higher ups.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It looks like one can fly, one is a straight rip off of the original Noumu that's just missing it's eyes and the third one is the lanky one Gran Torino is fighting. At least the blind Noumu looks like it should be near the same power as the original one, the other two look like they're specialty fighters ie speed or quirks. It's probably not going to end well, considering half the city is already lighting up on fire.

See, there's really two sides to this, Stain versus Shigaraki since they're having a competition at the moment about who can have more effect, and thus two basic outcomes. The first is Stain winning, which means that he kills some notable heroes (notable to the setting, not us), moves on to a new district and Shigaraki is left to ponder his direction (or lack thereof) regarding destruction and the point of being a villain. The other is that Shigaraki wins by causing more widespread death than a few random heroes and in this case it's likely to cause a permanent rift between Stain and the organization, pushing him to more of a middle ground than pure villain.

The first definitely seems more likely to me, and in typing this I wonder if maybe Stain won't end up killing Gran Torino when he goes to save Deku and/or Iida? Which would actually be fairly big, despite him only just being introduced. This would give Stain someone powerful to add to his list, and maybe be someone he admires or thinks of as big game as well as giving Deku and All Might some personal stake in his pursuit. This could be a really cool route to go if Stain shows some respect and/or admiration for Gran Torino - though, that does make me wonder how he'd react to fighting someone he respects. Would he back off because they're one of the few deserving the name hero to him, and thus killing them would be counter-productive, would he fight them regardless because their death would be a bigger wake up call, or would he figure that if they can't beat him they don't deserve to be heroes in the first place?

Regardless, I think it's more likely Stain will win to cement his ties to Shigaraki and give Shigaraki some more direction and growth, which means those Nuomos can't really be too successful in all but property damage.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Lord of Hats posted:

Stain is definitely going to praise Deku for his heroism, especially likely if Deku does something to save that other hero at great risk to himself. And then, by some means or other, he's going to get away. And that is going to open a gigantic goddamn rift between Deku and Iida, which is why narrator-Deku was so regretful about what happened in Hosu.

Narrator Deku may be regretful because failing to take notice of it led directly to Gran Torino's demise saving both Deku and Iida from what Iida did because he failed to notice, rather than anything to do with Iida himself being hurt. Or at least, that's my theory. For Stain to win his bet with Shigaraki he has to do something pretty big, and killing Iida or driving him to vigilante activities ain't really all that big a deal.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It doesn't matter who made the bet, Stain has to do more than kill some no name trainee hero to impress Shigaraki and force some change in his character regardless. If all Stain does is injure, kill or disillusion Iida then Shigaraki will remain unimpressed with him and not change. If Stain kills a famous old hero like Gran Torino (assuming Shigaraki has heard of him despite Deku not for plot reasons) then he would be sufficiently impressed to start growing as a character. And all signs seem to point to Shigaraki mirroring Deku in his growth due to mentor characters. His growth coming at the hands of a mentor who killed Deku's mentor just makes it all the more symbolic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Shigaraki isn't even fighting and is hanging back due to injuries, so he's very unlikely to get in a fight. Even if he did get attacked, Black Mist would probably just teleport them out. I don't understand how you can look at the fact that he made a bet, essentially with himself that hinges on the outcome of what Stain and the Noumu's achieve and not think that the climax of this arc will hinge upon what those two sets of characters (Stain versus the Noumus in indirect competition) achieve. Stain might not know or care that he is part of a bet, but it's almost definitely going to to affect how things proceed not just here but for Shigaraki's immediate future if you consider what is likely to happen dependent on what the outcome of the bet is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
My favorite part of Stain's design is that he has a bandana, a scarf and an eye-mask with long flowing trails that flap around with his scarf - because you can never have too much stuff flowing behind you in the breeze.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the eating their blood thing is probably the part that makes it kind of evilish.

I thought it was if he got his blood on them that he could control/paralyze them. The way Deku's train of thought is worded in the linked scan certainly suggests that to me at least, given he thinks "did he get a nick in, a scratch so slight I didn't even notice? No, wait...that's not it, it's the blood!". It suggests Deku didn't get cut, but that he got blood on him. It would also explain how he managed to paralyze both Shigaraki and Black Mist without them noticing. It's much more likely he managed to flick a bit of blood on them without them noticing than that he managed to cut them and eat their blood without them noticing. If that's true it's really not an evil quirk at all. It's a bit disgusting perhaps, but hardly evil by any stretch. Either way, it explains why Stain likes knives so much, given that he either needs to cut himself or his foes to get his quirk to work.

Astro Nut posted:

That would... actually fit. Or otherwise something where the community measured him by surface-level standards fixated on keeping themselves as a community looking good, rather than what he did or didn't do as a hero.

I hope not. I'd prefer this setting remain a little more heroic and optimistic than that personally, and besides which, we already have One Punch Man for that scenario.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It annoys me that someone had what is basically a vestigial quirk in the very first generation born with them. The ability to pass on a quirk when you have no quirk beyond that to pass on is completely useless on it's own and only has worth when mixed with something else. Which coincidentally happened for reasons the author didn't clarify beyond "his brother did it for some reason or other". It feels like Horikoshi wasn't actually able to come up with a good explanation for it, at least in time if he had to come up with it in the last week or three, and just kind of bodged it - possibly to shore it up later if he thinks of something better in the meantime.

There probably is more going on there than I know on his end, but it's certainly the feeling the backstory gives off to me regardless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Vestigial is probably the wrong word to use, since vestigial implies it had a use in the past. It's not that I think they need to have notable value, negative or positive to exist so much as I think that "the ability to pass on an ability" has no reason to exist outside of this one really specific circumstance. Without some other kind of ability on top of it, no matter how small or inconsequential, "the ability to pass on an ability" isn't really an ability. It's a nothing. Not every power needs to be a strong combat power or even have positive worth (the ability to change the colors of flower petals stands out as one minor one from X-Men), but "the ability to pass on an ability" has nothing until there's another power added to it.

I suppose what I'm complaining about in reality is that the backstory for One For All comes off as really contrived and rushed to me, like the author either couldn't think of something better or just wanted to get it out of the way as quickly as possible. Which probably pleases most people here since everyone else seems to love that he gets arcs out of the way literally as fast as he can, but personally I think he could stand to slow down a touch in some of them and expand on some things just a bit more.

It just seems really convenient that he just happened to have "the ability to pass on an ability", and just happened to have a brother who could steal and grant quirks who just happened to not know that he had a quirk and then just happened to grant him an exceptionally useful ability that just happened to mutate in a really useful manner to end up with someone who happened to be perfectly poised to take on his evil brother. It's too much in the way of convenience for me. It doesn't by any stretch ruin the manga or even close to it. I just think it's a misstep in the storytelling and comes off badly because it's so quick.

If it was given a chapter or two of it's own (and it may be in future) these things would have more room to be expanded on, you'd get to know the characters involved and their stories, which would make it come off a lot better.

It does make me sure that at least some of the previous One For All holders have had quirks, because "the ability to stockpile quirks" is kind of worthless without quirks to stockpile in the first place. At best All Might and Deku are just adding a normal humans base strength and speed etc. on top of what's already there, which isn't much on it's own. Maybe they add a low level multiplier to all stats, as it were instead, but more than likely there were a few people with quirks in the past that granted super strength, speed etc.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Clarste posted:

It's an ability that has no noticeable effect because it cannot be measured without the existence of another ability. But what's wrong with that? Expecting every ability to actually do something seems actually weirder to me. If it's a "mutation" or whatever, then you'd expect lots of people to have abilities like that ("the ability to disintegrate dinosaurs, which no longer exist").

I think that's a bad analogy because someone who can disintegrate dinosaurs might not have any dinosaurs around to disintegrate and thus never know he has a power to do so, but that power is still complete in and of itself regardless even if unusable. Someone who can pass on a quirk is, to me, more like someone who has eyes but doesn't have any optic nerves. Not a non-functional optic nerve mind, just none at all. To put it another way, the guy who can disintegrate dinosaurs is just missing an external element to make his powers complete/usable, where the guy who can pass on quirks is missing an internal biological element to make it complete. Sure, it's possible in reality. A story isn't reality though, and works on different rules. And to me, having someone whose only quirk is the ability to pass on a quirk and nothing more is just contrived in conjunction with the rest of the backstory.

Clarste posted:

His brother's ability to steal and grant other people's powers also wouldn't do anything if there weren't other people with quirks in the world.

As above, his brothers is still complete and only missing an outside element to operate.

Clarste posted:

I dunno, your logic still seems totally nonsensical to me. For all we know, every single quirkless person in the world actually has an ability like that, and that's just what it means to be quirkless.

It's entirely possible. It seems unlikely given the existence of a fused bone that differentiates non-quirk users from visible quirk users, but I suppose it's still possible. I don't really care though, because it doesn't make any difference at this moment to how I reacted to and continue to perceive this short piece of backstory.

Clarste posted:

I think it's pretty clever actually.

Good for you I guess? I don't. Even if I dismiss my own misgivings about the contrived nature of the entire thing, the fact that the whole story of how the One For All brother got his powers boils down "his brother gave him a cool power for some reason or other" is pretty lovely writing in my opinion (and hopefully indicates it'll be expanded upon later and is only being summarized now as a first step) and one brother having another power that contrasts the other and being the key to taking down the evil brother is pretty cliche writing regardless. Naruto did the same thing only a short while ago in the same magazine and is far from the first even in shonen.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 20, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Twiddy posted:

In general, Aizawa has the perfect ability for this test. Assuming that Yaoyorozu and Todoroki properly work together, he can only ever shut down one of their abilities for this test.

Can't he shut down multiple people at a time i.e. however many people he's looking at, rather than just one person at a time? That's certainly the impression I got from the fight against the villain alliance, given how many people took him on at once there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RatHat posted:

I think it'd be best for Bakugou's character arc if he gets utterly crushed here.

I cannot wait to see Bakugou's reaction when he realizes that All Might caused more damage with one air-punch than he can probably cause with his biggest blasts, at least at the moment. And while handicapped at that. Or for when he goes all out and All Might no-sells every bit of it. That moment when he realizes the heights he still has to climb to reach the top basically.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrSunshine posted:

I think it'd just make him angrier!

I wonder if he'll get so angry that he wraps around and reaches a zen like peace through pure anger?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ytlaya posted:

I think you guys are assuming that more people have significant quirks than actually do. Remember that we're looking at the people that literally have the best quirks in the entire country (or are at least the best at using them). I'm under the impression than the vast majority of people have quirks like Deku's mothers' (the "really weak telekinesis" thing) that aren't that significant.

Even if multiple Urarakas existed, they still wouldn't be able to handle a significant amount of the total demand for construction work in the country and wouldn't have the huge impact on construction workers that you guys seem to be suggesting.

Even if that many did exist that they could corner the construction market then the overall market would rather quickly stabilize itself most likely, with quirk users allowing for a higher level of specialization in the job market than currently exists. There would be a good few older folks out of jobs or having to learn new skills to gain employment in other areas, but I can't honestly see how having quirk users make use of their powers to specialize is a bad thing. It's really no different than when assembly lines and robots and poo poo came along. They put a lot of people out of work because they were so efficient, but the world spun on because the greater efficiency worked in the market's favor, lowering prices and allowing people to get more creative with what they had and so on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And if it's not toggle on/off-able, what's the catch? "You're invisible forever now" is kind of a lovely quirk.

I know quirks manifest in youth in at least some cases given that Deku was still hoping for one as a kid, but it's funny to imagine an invisible baby being born all the same.

"CONGRATULATIONS!...I think. It's a...hmmm, well it's definitely a baby. We'll leave you figure out the sex later".
"I really hope I'm holding it the right way up. I really hope I'm still holding it at all".

It'd be pretty horrible for the new parents too, since it's kind of impossible to show off your new baby proudly when it's just a swaddled bundled of nothing in photos or your pram or whatever.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Condiv posted:

deku's just really into anything all might tbh

Deku has an All-Might body pillow. Calling it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

All might hulk hands.

Well poo poo, that makes perfect sense. Now I kind of want a pair to shout random American city name Smash with. He probably has an All Might fringe Deely Bopper too now that you mention it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mary Annette posted:

Pretty smart move by I Cannot Stop Twinkling, too, assuming it was intentional.

Considering the guy failed to realize that black holes can consume light and is a bit of a vain idiot in general I kind of doubt it was. I think he just found the idea kind of funny and couldn't stop himself, even in that situation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Astro Nut posted:

I'd imagine he's somewhere between swelling with immense pride, and being on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Like, not only does he have all that going for him, but this is whilst he gets to be published in the same book as one of his biggest idols, who even shone a spotlight on his work early in. Dude's living every budding artist's dream.

Who's his idol? I'm assuming it's Oda, but beyond some of the basic manga in WSJ, I'm pretty clueless on a lot of them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's Mineta he rolled over into the middle of the room.

I figure he got tied up in his bedroll specifically to keep him from trying to sneak a peek at the girls or something and that the empty bed is someone else.

Twiddy posted:

I mean, wouldn't you?

I do and I don't even have invisibility powers. I can't even imagine sleeping in clothes or how weird or uncomfortable it'd be.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The best thing about the chapter to me is Deku saving Kouta by grabbing him with his teeth because he's too hosed to use his arms. The rest is great too, but that bit particularly strikes me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be noted that he likely did not actually preform a harder punch to defeat the guy. If you pay attention closely. Deku shoves his hands into the Fibers that serve as the guys shield. He then did that thing were he opens up his fingers with a ton of force to knock away the fibers protecting the guy so he could sock him in the face.

Pretty much he peeled away the villains shield then punched him.

I don't think any of that is true. The guy was never really hiding his face most of the time anyways. He has it uncovered for most of the preceding pages so he could taunt Kouta about killing him next, then he turns back and realizes that there's something different about Deku, who then punches him. His off-hand isn't even in the guy's mass anymore when he does so and Deku appears to have used it to push him back a ways to get room to swing or something. We also never see where the punch connects. There's really no point in Deku talking about hitting using 1,000,000% power after a flashback to All Might talking about hitting with more than 100% of himself if he's just hitting the villain in a more sensitive place.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 31, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I can't be the only one who doesn't care at all who the spy is or even about their existence, can I?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Boots would just be a hassle anyway, since they'd be just one more thing to take off and more cumbersome to do so than with gloves. I'm surprised her school uniform doesn't have a silk balaclava or something to show her head shape and where he eyes are though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

People keep getting on Deku's case cause he pushes himself too hard, only the plot sometimes conspires to give him no other way out. Stories by their very nature are often contrived, but it's pretty unfair to keep shouldering the blame on Deku when his only alternative most of the time is frequently worse than the route he takes.

I was trying to think about why I don't like this manga as much as the rest of the thread while reading the latest chapter and I think this may be the reason why. The mangaka feels like he's trying to have his cake and eat it too by having Deku constantly in trouble using his power and people giving out to him for doing this in a somewhat reasonable manner. And then contriving reasons for Deku to go and do those things and throw all that out the window regardless. It just feels like he wants to portray Deku being hurt as well as Deku being the awesome hero that some other shounen have and it's honesly kind of wearing. Just drop the act and show him being heroic. Deku grabbing Kouta with his teeth was awesome. I don't need a chapter of him lying in bed with the story talking about how bad his going all out is to keep it awesome.

That, and I don't like the future narrator since we never see them, have no indication who they're talking to or why and so on. I can't see what that adds to the story or why it's there. It's a minor niggle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

What is that tuft of hair on his shoulder? I thought it was his tail the first time I saw it, but his tail has it's own tuft visible in shots like this, so it can't be. Does he groom his back hair? Does his gi have it's own hair do?