Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

No, this is a world where everyone has a superpower, but the lamest superpower is being double-jointed in your toe! :colbert:

Damnit, I was going to say this. Deku totally has a quirk! It's just that his quirk is a really goddamn lovely one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kortel posted:

Each hand is a quirk user's hand maybe?

Would make sense to take a toe, since that's where quirks come from.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Pretty sure he just has dry eyes because he's constantly going as long as he can without blinking. Not that it's actually caused by his power.

You'd think the science nerds could work out some eyewear that would moisten his eyes for him and let him go without blinking.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

It's not just control though. His body just doesn't have the musculature to support his power. Which for the purposes of this story means that he will never hit full power because the comic is never going to age him into his mid 20s except possibly in the last chapter. Control < swole.

Also he's going to have a power loss arc. Obviously.

All Might goes from skinny twerp to a tower of muscles in an instant, though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kyte posted:

Yeah but almost everybody has a quirk and a stealth quirk would do wonders for detective work. Plus, that reasoning doesn't quite work out when his fellow cops are a catman and an ogre.

I'd guess that he has a quirk that's useful for detective work, probably something that can help him gather information.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Basically, the police and the heroes hold different positions and have different jobs, from what I can see. The police are, generally, still like the normal police, near as I can tell, but for actually subduing the big bad villains the heroes have the authority to jump in and personally handle things, at least provided they don't screw things up too much themselves. They beat up and capture the bad guys, then the police arrest them and stuff.

Chances are the police handle the day to day quirk using criminals, the ones that don't have ridiculous powers of destruction. Someone who's quirk lets them make an apple taste like a banana can still commit a crime, and it hardly seems worth bringing out what is basically a superhero to deal with him.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rexides posted:

What I want to know is, how did the first holder of All for One figure out that it's transferable?

Forgot to wait a hairnet while cooking for his friends.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Can you double up on powers so long as "All For One" isn't a quirk in the traditional sense? For example, wouldn't it be best to give "All For One" to someone with a quirk of rapid regeneration, or super endurance or something of that sort?

It's unknown whether All For One can stack with an existing quirk. All Might doesn't seem to have any other powers, so either receiving All For One cancels out existing quirks or he himself was quirkless.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

It's kinda implied because AFO knows All Might is getting weaker but given they apparently nearly killed each other last time they fought it could just be because AFO knows he gravely wounded him to the point that even if he lived it did permanent damage.

All Might mentioned AFO never knew about his brothers quirk, so it could potentially still be a secret.

I'm something of the opinion that he doesn't know because if he has paid any attention to the class it should be hilariously obvious that Midoriya is the new OFA holder. Also his obsession with killing All Might still being there, and Midoriya not being numero uno on the hitlist kinda indicates this. If he knew about OFA, defeating All Might would be as simple as just waiting- it's not like AFO doesn't have time to spare.

To the general public who don't know how OFA works, Deku just has a similar quirk to All Might, and could be related to him genetically. Lots of people have similar quirks, like those two guys who can harden their skin. Even among those who know OFA can be passed on, the strength and speed it grants are traits shared by plenty of other quirks so it can probably be quite hard to tell that it is in fact OFA.

On a slight tangent, does All For One straight up steal powers or does it copy them? If it copies them, I'd guess that he got the ability to give people quirks by copying it from his brother.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

One For All is a single quirk formed out of a mutation that combines AFO's brother's "Pass On This Quirk" quirk and the "Stockpile Power" quirk he was given. We don't know anything about All Might's predecessors, but when he's explaining OFA's origins to Midoriya he mentions what would happen if he had given it to Todoroki, which implies that a previous user of OFA has had their own quirk that didn't get absorbed into OFA. If only quirkless people had ever used OFA, then All Might would've had no idea how it would interact with another quirk.

It's a little ambiguous as to what that Stockpile Power quirk really does. I think what it does is just make the bearer get slowly physically stronger over time, but due to being passed down for a few generations it's gotten very, very powerful. Whether OFA can pass down a quirk other than itself is ambiguous, since all the people we've known to have had it passed onto them (All Might and Deku) have been quirkless. If one of the previous users already had a quirk it hasn't been passed down along with OFA, but it's very likely it's never actually been passed down to someone with a quirk.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I know making horse puns is fun, but can we get back to the mane reason for this topic?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that but who else could've gotten it really?

If they know what they're doing they'll do stuff like grab Dante Brasco to do Todoroki.

edit:
Oh, he absolutely beat Shouto.

It was training however.

...for a 5 year-old.

Re-reading the first half of the manga kinda makes Todoroki actually agreeing to work with him kinda gross because honestly Endeavor should be in prison.

Ehh, Todoroki's only working with his father to further his own ambitions. He's not planning on reconciling with the piece of poo poo, he's planning on using him for his experience and connections. Basically? He's treating his father as a tool, in much the same way that his father treats him.

Personally I'd suggest he quit heroics and go off and use his quirk to become a professional chef. Fire powers for cooking, ice powers for ingredient storage/ice cream making!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

well all the villains just powered up, they "mean business" now. He either changes his tactic or something, otherwise they wouldn't put so much heavy foreshadow on his wounds and literally useless arms
like ok, deku had to do it, but running around like that is irresponsible and dangerous. He needs to think of the future and actually grow to meet these people

Deku is crippled for life after this incident and instead the story focuses on sticky grape guy.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Elfgames posted:

unless of course they got a hold of his medical records showing his extra toe bone

I wonder if Deku has that extra toe bone now. Apparently you can't duplicate a quirk via cloning or gene therapy, but did anyone try surgically attaching someone else's toe?

oh man what if you get an extra toe bone for every quirk you have, All For One would have HUGE loving toes

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I really like that side characters are getting a chance to be badass. Even if it's just for a moment, these student heroes are a genuine threat to the villains, and that's pretty cool.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
If there is a traitor, they're not necessarily a student. And unless not even the principal knows where the training took place, there's people who aren't there that could also have leaked the location, knowingly or not. For instance, that one mind control guy could probably do it. People he mind controlled seemed hazy and had a very poor recollection of what they did while under his control. He could easily have used his quirk to interrogate someone. Or copycat guy could have copied that mind control quirk and done it. Or maybe some villain has a quirk that would let them covertly gather info.

Basically what I'm saying is that speculation is pointless because not even the characters really have much of an idea of how the location got leaked at this point.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

People guessing who the traitor is makes sense, because the manga itself flat out ASKS YOU THE QUESTION: "How did the villains find the camp?". Aizawa wonders why outloud (is is disturbed by the thought), and like one or two of the stinger lines for a couple chapters ask why too.

So yeah, they got info again somehow. Aizawa suggested they broke in when hands melted UA's gate for the USJ attack. This time, they took every single precaution and the badguys STILL found the camp.

Only the people ON the trip presumably knew. Maybe the principal could know too?

I figured it was Aoyama since as mentioned he was the only person who was definitely unaccounted for during the USJ attack, and he wasn't in frame when it showed the boy's bunk the night before the attack (and there was a very conspicuously empty bed). Turns out he was just a coward. :shrug:

A lot of people suspect Hagekure because she somehow knew what Oijiro and Todoroki were doing despite them being in completely different areas during the USJ attack. That kinda came off like a translation error to me so again, :shrug:.

So um, I got no idea now. Could've been one of the kittycats I guess, but one got KO'd, two actually nearly captured villains, and Ragdoll is presumably splattered all over the forest.

Or maybe she just took off her cat ears and gave them to that Noumu to make it look like it had killed her. See? There's simply not enough information at this point to go beyond gut feelings and very vague speculation that "well we haven't seen <person> in a while so maybe they're a traitor." There may not even be a traitor, and instead the villains just had information about known sites associated with heroes and scouted them out with a sneaky quirk. The theories have nothing meaningful and if any of them turn out to be true it'd be out of sheer luck.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It must be tough being Hagakure. Are her injuries invisible? An invisible wound would be tough to treat. ID would be impossible too. Imagine you handed someone an ID card with a picture that's just the collar of your clothes. And nobody looks you in the eyes when they talk to you because they can't see your eyes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jintor posted:

pinky looks fun.

I dunno why but it hadn't really occured to me how loving crazy monsterous shouji looks good thing he's a cool dude

The manga does a good job of bucking the trend of nasty powers or mutations that make you look inhuman automatically making you a villain. Yes, plenty of the villains have traditional villainy powers, but so do plenty of the heroes. Shouji looks like a monster of the week, but he's a good guy. That bird guy has shadow powers that have a tendency of running rampant, but he's not evil. Pinky mentioned that her powers have limited scope as a hero, since melting people with acid isn't exactly heroic. Ironically the character that had the most focus on the traditional villain powers, the mind control guy, could easily do a LOT of good with those powers. Mind control may not be nice, but it's a very good way of instantly diffusing conflict. Someone takes a hostage and is threatening to kill them. No problem, just send in the hostage negotiator. The moment the hostage taker responds he's told to put down his weapon, release his hostage and come out and give himself up to the authorities. Nobody gets hurt and no violence is used. That seems pretty heroic to me.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

tsob posted:

Boots would just be a hassle anyway, since they'd be just one more thing to take off and more cumbersome to do so than with gloves. I'm surprised her school uniform doesn't have a silk balaclava or something to show her head shape and where he eyes are though.

You'd think her hero outfit would be something that's super easy to get in and out, like clothes that automatically fly in and dress her at her command. Maybe she could get something made of see-through material that would at least provide a little protection from the elements.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if Deku ended up using some tech to reduce the damage done to his body, or just starts to use some gadgets along with a little One For All so that he doesn't need to get into risky territory to get things done. He does know that girl who's into making gadgets, I bet she could rig something up for him.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
And to think I thought Bakugou was going to be The Sasuke.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Worst thing that could happen is that he loses his Quirk.

But I doubt that, All For One probably isn't even in the same time code as Shigaraki at the moment.

I can't figure out who has the best disguise. They're all so amazing.

Unless of course the Noumu they put the tracker on is with AfO to try and add more quirks.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Quirks manifest during childhood, don't they? I wonder what Hagakure looked like when she was younger.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd imagine that's the point. :v:

whoosh

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
If two quirkless people have a kid, is the kid quirkless? Quirks suddenly started appearing in children one day, so the resulting kid might get a random quirk, or be quirkless, or maybe being quirkless is a condition that suppresses a quirk rather than remove it entirely and they'll inherit a quirk from their parents that was simply not activated.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

greetings, mount lady's butt.

i can see why she's called mount lady

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

All Might is not an old man.

By manga standards he's ancient.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

But he can only put it in a relatively mindless noumu, right? Wouldn't that hamper it's effectiveness?

He can use it himself, too. I don't think a Noumu is mandatory for giving powers to either, they're just specially enhanced to take on lots and lots of quirks as opposed to just an extra one or two.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

LostRook posted:

With the whole vessel talk, it seems like OfA fundamentally changes the body of it's user such that it kind of is both an active power and a mutation type.

It seems to be a mutation type for All Might but doesn't seem to be one for Deku. It could just be because Deku is new to using it and is activating before he attacks and deactivates it after rather than keeping it on like All Might does. I think the rules are that Eraserhead can stop it from activating, and when he did it it to Deku it was mid-activation, but once it's active he can't turn it off. So he could stop All Might from bulking up but he couldn't reverse it after that.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure All Might specifically said that through a lottery of fate the guy's unknown natural quirk and the power building quirk merged into a single quirk. We also know that similarity of ability has nothing to do with kids having hybrid quirks of their parents, because fire and ice are opposites and looking like a flesh rock has nothing to do with talking to animals.

It's an activated quirk for both of them. It doesn't matter what the quirk does, Eraserhead can stop all active quirks. The only way he wouldn't be able to stop One for All would be if it was constantly in use from the moment it was granted. Since we know that isn't the case for either All Might or Deku, Eraserhead can stop them. As for All for One, we don't know if he can even steal any quirks that Eraserhead couldn't turn off. Most likely not since he doesn't have much interest in being a frog man or a flesh colored rock man.

Has Eraserhead used his quirk on someone with an activated quirk with effects that linger, like Icyhot's ice, or that tentacle guy and his ability to grow tentacle limbs with mouths and stuff? That tentacle quirk seems like a mix of an activated quirk and a mutation, so it might be the case that Eraserhead can stop him from growing new tentacles but can't unmake ones that have already been made. That's why I'm speculating that he can stop OfA from activating but may not be able to force All Might out of his buff form, since that too seems like it's a quirk that changes his body.

The only reason I'm even speculating is because AfO can steal quirks, and if he stole Eraserhead's quirk then he or whoever he gives it to will be a serious powerhouse. Eraserhead's issues are that he needs to keep eye contact and that his quirk just brings his opponent down in power without giving him any abilities of his own to take them down once they're depowered. If AfO has it, he has other quirks he can use while he's nullifying an opponent, which would be powerful as all hell and make him even more dangerous than he already is.

Actually, on the topic of using multiple quirks, I imagine there's a whole mess of supposedly pretty much useless quirks that would pair fantastically with more powerful ones. A quirk that makes you not need to blink sounds like a pretty lame superpower, but if you combined that with Eraserhead's quirk and you've just solved a big weakness. Uravity would benefit massively from a silly little quirk like not being able to feel nauseous. A lot of quirks have downsides and weaknesses, the reason AfO is so powerful isn't just because he has all those powerful quirks but probably also because he can cover their various weaknesses up with other quirks.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
AfO being all supportive to Shigaraki and making sure to save all those villains just makes him all the scarier. He's capable of being quite nice to his underlings, and goes out of his way to keep them safe...and he's still utterly monstrous. The way he acts towards his underlings only highlights how loving nasty he can be by comparison.

He's basically to villains as All Might is to heroes, and Shigaraki's his Deku.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

There have been several generations since quirks started showing up.

They even went through X-Men style troubles early on. The world of MHA kind of feels like a Japanese take on X-Men in a future where mutants became downright common.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Baal posted:

Guns are already an uncommon thing in Japan and combining that with the fact everyone has super powers I'd be p surprised to see a gun too

Yeah, in a country where guns are very rare and also the criminals can turn into giant rampaging monsters I'm not surprised not many villains come in toting a gun.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gyges posted:

It says that it started with the glowing baby, while talking about how society changed. It doesn't say that the glowing baby was the first quirk. While it is very unlikely to make a difference, it allows for pre-glowing baby super humans. For instance a Vandal Savage dude could pop up or other transitive quirks like All for One and One for All to have impact beyond a couple passes.

Quirks are said to usually manifest during childhood, rather than right after birth. Add in that some quirks might not be obvious at first and it's very likely that baby wasn't the very first person born with a quirk, and that someone else was born with one that manifested later or had a more subtle one that nobody noticed at first.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mikl posted:

On that point: does Aizawa's power work on invisible people? His Quirk is literally "neutralise the Quirk of the person I'm looking at", so... Would it work on someone he can't see? Or does he just need to look in their general direction?

Yes but since being fully invisible means she's naked he'd look away in shame the instant he sees her, thus negating the effect of his quirk and making her invisible again. Eraserhead's weakness: Nudity.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Vengarr posted:

No, that's exactly why he's trying to get Shigaraki to be more driven and focused. You need a strong mind and a strong will to possess so many quirks, and Shiggy is still just a man-baby at this point.

There is a zero percent chance that a guy named All For One who lives entirely to steal from others is actually training up a successor from the goodness of his heart.

That doesn't really jive with his actions so far. He's totally training up a successor, and it's not from the goodness of his heart. It's from the badness of his heart. Remember, just because he's charming and supportive and genuinely nice to his minions doesn't suddenly make him not a villain. He acts that way because after over a hundred years of experience in villainy he's learned that the best way to get people to take your side is to make them like you. To make them feel valuable. To make them feel wanted. To make them feel they genuinely have something to gain by being by your side, instead of being executed over a small mistake. He wants villainy to succeed, and he's come to feel that the best way to ensure that is to create fresh villains with fresh ideas. He believes in the potential of the next generation. It's just a pity the potential he believes in is their potential to be evil.

tl:dr He's literally the wise old master passing the torch to the next generation. It's like how all the older (read: 30+ years old) characters were like in Naruto, like a villainous Third Hokage. But evil.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jose posted:

how do they keep someone with all might level strength locked up though

We've already seen at least one guy who can copy quirks temporarily. If you can subdue AfO for just a little while you can have him copy AfO and steal AfO's quirks...possibly including AfO. Would those stolen quirks stick with the copycat after his copycatting ends, or would he lose them too?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Please god, anything but a time skip.

my hero academia: shippuden chronicles

BELIEVE IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Don't make me cut you.