Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
For those looking for more Frog Girl: You will get plenty of her and other classmates in later chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I like that some of the quirks are literally "they're an animal person", like the cat detective.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

That was a surprisingly complete victory for the heroes, really. They managed to crush Noumu, beat up tons of mooks, and drive off Shigaraki and Black Mist, without anyone dying. Aizawa's pretty hosed up and Deku managed to go and break his limbs again, but All Might and No. 13 both survived despite what you would have expected, and none of the other kids were seriously injured.

I wonder if the video game references were a thing in the original or something this group added. The other translation didn't have them but it was also a bit iffy, so they could have missed it.

The series has always had lots of game references. The teacher described the entrance exam a lot like a game, and they even made references to Mario Bros.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Kyte posted:

Yeah but almost everybody has a quirk and a stealth quirk would do wonders for detective work. Plus, that reasoning doesn't quite work out when his fellow cops are a catman and an ogre.

I want to learn more about Catective and Offogre.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

We finally saw the first sign of the Hawk-boy's powers. Looks like something involving shadows, although I'm still wondering why he needs to look like a bird for that power.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

tsob posted:

That may have made for a really weird birth for her mom and the doctors involved. It probably didn't kick in till she was a few years old even if she is permanently on if I recall from the earlier chapters, but it's still kind of funny to imagine regardless.

I think most people's quirks only manifest when they're 3-4 years old or something.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hawkboy's shadow powers making him a bird person make sense now. Although this feels more spiritual than the sci-fi feeling of most other quirks.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I really hope if there is an anime adaptation, they play up the humor of this chapter. There's a lot of gags here that could really hit well if presented right.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm still curious about Fumikage (bird boy), so it'd be interesting if they use this as an opportunity to mix things up with the groupings.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I have absolutely no complaints with this team setup. Can't wait to see them in action.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

A Bystander posted:

The one-shot from 2008 that the story was based on got posted: http://bato.to/read/_/303021/boku-no-hero-academia_by_fallen-angels/1

Midoriya as an adult with a different name and an occupation as a salaryman.

I remember this when it was printed in the last volume of Oumagadoki, and then when Snipe made it in that group shot in Academia it was a fantastic callback.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm rooting for Tokoyami. He's turned out to be reliable and cool without trying to bring lots of attention to himself.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm thinking birdboy is gonna get taken out early, sadly, because he's up against a fanservice-ish character.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I liked that the teacher talked about the deficiencies of the entrance examination, in that powers that would be very good in heroics are often disadvantaged by the way it's structured. It makes class B's resentment much more understandable and gives Midoriya's sympathies in this chapter more punch.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Kind of surprised he had Yaoyorozu lose so early on.

Same. But I was rooting for Tokoyami, so it's all good to me.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

Uh she pretty consistently loses. She was on the only team that lost against the supervillains. She's been outsmarted by grape boy twice. She lost the presidency to Deku and then somehow lost it to Iida despite him not being in the running.

I thought she was the other class rep. Don't they usually have one male and one female rep?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I really hope that "Smaaaaaash" panel is a Mother-series reference.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

No, that'd be great. Because it would draw a nice comparison to Deku using his abilities, because he has to if he ever wants to be any good at it, even though using them is "uncomfortable" for him.

I agree. It would also mean that Todoroki has a new goal going forward: to master his powers fully, rather than relying on what he's already known for so long.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Isn't that the rabbit from Oumagadoki Zoo?

Yeah that's Shiina.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm still looking forward to seeing how the remainder of the tournament goes. I hope we get a chapter on Shadow Bird Dude's fight.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I can't wait to see the Tokoyami fight. He's up against Bakugou, right?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I am willing to accept Fumikage as Kohei's gold standard for coolness.

I appreciate that he's resolved himself to try and work in as many supporting cast members into the limelight as possible.

I almost wanted a little more backstory to Fumikage there, but Kohei thinking he's the coolest is great.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

I actually wanted Fumikage to win the entire tournament because the idea that the current 'strongest in the class' character isn't even one of the main characters would be cool.

I was hoping he'd be the dark horse of the tournament. Maybe the fact that he at least made it to 3rd means we'll get more of him.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Tsukuyomi was an interesting choice, considering going for more bird-oriented names would have been easier.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Dzhay posted:

Is this comic doing well in Japan?

It's doing extremely well. It usually gets one of the top spots in the weekly rankings in Jump.

Honestly it's nice to see this author finally find some success. I love Oumagadoki, and that one held on for only so long, and his 2nd series wasn't very good. But MHA is hitting that sweet spot, I guess!

The way you read the rankings is that the order in the magazine, minus color pages or a special promotion of a new series, is how they did in the last round of voting.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 22, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Voted Fumikage because he is the coolest.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Did the results of the character popularity contest ever come out?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I thought that BBB was Mappa, not Bones.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The actress who played Migi in Parasyte would probably be able to make a good Tsuyu voice.

Honestly I'm happy with Bones doing the visuals because even when they have scripts or series that aren't very good (I'm looking at you Captain Earth), they usually come through pretty well with the visuals. I'm less worried about the scripting here because it's a manga adaptation rather than studio original, and it's probably very likely to be a seasonal gig than turning into One Piece or Bleach.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Yuuki Hayashi (Death Parade, Gundam Build Fighters/Try, Haikyuu!) will be composing the soundtrack.

Oh poo poo yes. His work on Haikyuu! is loving fantastic.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised that Toyokami's room is as dark as it is, with the blackout curtains and stuff.

I'm also surprised that he doesn't carry like, emergency flashbangs around in case something like the training camp happens again, but :shonenmanga:.

It's all a part of his training!

I love that he's basically a chuuni but actually has legit reasons to be that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

This next chapter is clearly Tokoyami's time to shine.