Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's cursing fits him really.

Also, I hope copycat kid doesn't touch Midoriya. I have a feeling that wouldn't end very well for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

Maybe if he'd earned it, or had some other endearing qualities. As is, he's a spoiled brat who won the superpower lottery and uses his special position in society to belittle everyone beneath him while despising anyone better than him.
Or he's just a different take on Todoroki. Instead of an rear end in a top hat overbearing father pressuring him, he's putting pressure on himself because his quirk is so good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TriffTshngo posted:

Well sure I mean obviously he should have some character growth, I just meant I don't want him to do the shonen rival thing of starting off hostile and eventually just being buds with everyone because that kind of ruins what's unique about him compared to your Sasukes and Piccolos and the like.
Funny enough DBZ is still one of the best series for heel-turned-face characters. Piccolo and Vegeta are two of the best characters in the series and both are handled in a completely different way.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's powers are anime explosions, meaning you can beat people up with them and knock them out and the results are crosshatches and smoke rather than say 3rd degree burns and dismemberment.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You'd think that All Might would maybe try to train Midoriya a bit more in-person since very slightly loving up with the use of his power leads to death and dismemberment but then I think it's been like...a month, month and a half since school even started?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nuebot posted:

Can they get it back, too?

Like, assuming the previous host doesn't have to die to pass on the power. I imagine someone old, weak and now living a rather unimpressive life of obscurity might want that back if they weren't as good and heroic as All Might is.
A former owner of One For All coming back to reclaim the power is almost certainly going to be a major arc if this series goes on long enough.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Your average kid would've literally murdered the mooks back during the villain attack with a background like Todoroki's.

Kind of a hosed up twist, but I'm more happy someone besides frog girl noticed that Midoriya's power isn't just super strength, but exactly like All Might's particular brand of it. I just like it when writers actually bother to deal with the obvious poo poo that you're supposed to suspend disbelief over ("hurr why can't anyone tell that Clark Kent is Superman with glasses on??").

As for a tournament arc... Yeah I like em but Midoriya is likely not coming out on top considering his control of his power extends to "not totally maiming myself when I swing at the air". He can't open up a can on anyone since they'll loving DIE, and he can't dial it down to anime knockout power.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine Midoriya will get to do some near OnePunchMan demonstration of his power and shock the crowd since it has been made clear the villains are watching too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or how Superman's identity was used for building OTHER characters. Like Lex Luthor hiring a computer scientist to use data analysis to determine his identity, which she correctly figures is Clark Kent. Lex rejects this though since he can't comprehend someone of Superman's power having an identity that doesn't let him exert or take advantage of the obvious power and influence he has.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou is kinda starting to realize he's got it pretty loving good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Frog Girl is 5-foot nothing which is almost taller than I expected. Perspective is weird.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair we haven't seen just how strong his tail is. If it's like gorilla-arm type strong he's probably better in a straight-up fight than around half the class.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Raws are out and the tournament line up is decided; matchups are interesting to say the least.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Remember that after this final event, the winner(s) (multiple people I imagine) go on to compete in an open series of events with the sophomore and senior classes.

That's the only reason I think Midoriya doesn't get knocked out of the tournament, but I really just can't see him making it to the end the more I look at it. He's going to HAVE to blast someone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tsob posted:

You don't think the main character of this shonen manga is going to win the tournament his mentor has tasked him with as a goal to win so as to announce his presence to the world as a step in following his dream and making him the public successor to said mentor? Seriously? Even if the probable match-ups for Deku don't work out so that all his rivals look set to fight him in succession that'd be a dumb assertion given the genre. As is though, the break down looks like it'll be Deku facing off against mind control jerk from another class (the only non-rival in the bunch, then Todoroki, Iida and finally Bakugou. Which is just far to clean a run through all declared rivals to not work out even if his winning wasn't an important step in making himself All Might's successor.

And while Deku has only been able to use his powers once before crippling himself before, that's not a hard limit on his powers and not only can change in the future, but has to if he's going to do anything useful. This is basically the perfect fuel to help him overcome those limits, which he's already started to do as is. He'll probably win his first match without using his powers, but will more likely use them at least once a match in all following bouts.
It kinda seems almost too obvious. Midoriya winning the tournament and going into the final games with the sophomores/seniors and making himself known there, accomplishing All Might's goal for him and also painting a target on his back because the villains are watching him now too. Strange for a series that seems to enjoy subverting cliches a lot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Newfound resolve aside Midoriya initially didn't give a poo poo about the tournament since he correctly told All Might himself that 1) he's not into heroism to get famous, 2) doesn't give 1/5th of a poo poo about being scouted because he's already in possession of one of the most powerful quirks on earth and under the tutelage of the #1 hero.

It's just that him winning seems too obvious I guess that bugs me. Unless the tournament gets interrupted but uggghhh I hope they don't do that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Welp, Todoroki ruined everything by looking forward to beating Midoriya. RIP Midoriya.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is a different group that does one of the other language translations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
English isn't the first language of the group that released this, it's the group that does the Spanish or Portuguese releases I think.

So yeah, no poo poo the grammar isn't great.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya defeating all of his rivals in one tournament seems a bit much, but remember that whoever wins (or maybe the top 3-4?) go onto the final games where all the winners in all 3 years of classes participate.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also his powers are specifically mentioned to damage his body if used too intensely/too long. That does not seem to be the case with his dad unless he thinks that severe burns are really loving rad and worth having flame beard constantly.

Edit: Just FYI the Vocomic stuff is still being updated. If you wanna hear a Japanese VA doing All Might, complete with SMASH.

http://vomic.shueisha.co.jp/hero/

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 1, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tollymain posted:

how do i get this to work :saddowns:
The VLC web plugin does a really nice and lovely job of playing it. You might wanna try using IE with Windows Media Player. The actual one ,not classic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It seems like he just baited him into the range of his ability; pissing him off so he wasn't focused was just gravy.

Oh well, here's hoping something badass happens. Maybe mind control guy will accidentally cause Midoriya to go SSJ or w/e the gently caress since "mental images" and focus seem to be the key behind controlling One For All. It'd be nice to see him really kick rear end at least once during this thing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Cool chapter IMO, yeah literal deus ex machina but it's not dumb.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 9, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AtomikKrab posted:

More importantly, Deku has barely used one for all, and certainly not in a manner that is well noticed.

So question, does he somehow win without everyone noticing he has Hercules strength leading to people going "wtf is this guys quirk?".
My initial expectation of the tournament was Deku scoring a win against a tough opponent (this was before before the bracket reveal) with a show-stopping, crowd-stunning demonstration of One For All but having to bow out due to exhaustion/injury but I dunno now really given the circumstances.

Also because I kinda wanna see him fight Iida and Bakugou again.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chapter is out.

very :unsmith: regarding Shinsou,
very :stare: regarding Todoroki.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 15, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cake Attack posted:

it will almost certainly be part of his character arc that refusing to use his fire power at all is letting his dick dad define him more than anything else could, and is just going to hurt him in the long run
This is one of those really cliche' "Your parents don't define your existence" arc things and it's probably gonna take a long time to play out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers for the next chapter: Everyone up to Bakugou vs Gravity Girl gets one-panel/sidepanel fights. Awww.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 22, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chapter is out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Uraraka winning would be a good subversion of expectations. I mean, everyone is literally openly worrying that Bakugou is going to curbstomp her really badly- badly enough that having someone who can instantly heal people on standby doesn't make it okay.

Hopefully she at least gets to put on a good show. A win would be cool but it'll be kind of a bummer if Bakugou just fucks her up really bad.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The author said something about not having explained what her power really is yet I think? So it's not just "She's invisible" apparently.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
YYH's Dark Tournament is considered a great tournament arc and just about anyone who wasn't the main cast didn't get their fights shown outside of the group Teguro obliterates in 5 seconds.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers/early scans are out. Like seriously if you're one of those people who're triggered by spoilers kindly avoid the black bars.

Like really, right there. The bars.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bakugou pretty much kicks the poo poo out of Uraraka, to the point he gets booed by the crowd. It's not BRUTAL, and if I'm interpreting it right she makes a pretty brilliant use of her power. It's just not enough.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 27, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder what the hell the proper translation is for what Grapes is saying.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou kinda has a Vegeta frenemy thing going minus the fact he's not a jobber yet.

I'm rooting for this series since it kinda gives me this feeling it won't relegate the ancillary characters to jobbers or mook cleanup detail whenever the inevitable "Mysterious Stupidly-named Coalition of villains" with everyone's opposite number start showing up one after another.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dunno why I thought of this while looking at him but Endeavor is one of those characters that would probably end up looking like poo poo when animated outside of fight scenes where the animation budget is lower, due to the constant fire effect.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Does she speak in Kansai dialect or something? That's usually translated into an American southern drawl.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Thankfully this is a mostly upbeat shounen because "I'm going to become a hero and make a whole bunch of money to give my parents the life they deserve!" is deathflaggy as gently caress as far as ancillary character motivations go.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya becoming a gigantic chiseled silhouette would be weird but at least a bit more original than some sort of SSJ-Junior sort of thing which is what I keep imagining will happen.

e: regarding Bakugou I thought it was interesting he was initially annoyed at Midoriya for "telling her" to basically facetank his explosions.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't really see how he can win without suddenly being able to use just enough power to not maim himself, on every part of his body.

I mean they could go with the gimmick being that he keeps hurting himself every fight and progressively gets more and more exhausted being healed over and over again but one of the commentators is the guy who basically said he'd expel him if he kept blowing his limbs to pieces.