Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd say on the whole that MHA is better than Bleach but that could also be attributed to Soul Society arc being so strong the rest of it is kinda bad. Kubo also died like Hori is dying now for the back half of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
In Naruto the Fourth Ninja War was literally 1/3rd of the manga

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is how you know bleach is peak.
Bleach is one of those series where I deeply appreciate it and genuinely love aspects of it more than I love those same aspects from my actual favorite manga, but look at large swaths of the actual manga and think "Man, that sucked rear end"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's kinda funny too knowing what we know now.

Wonder if the anime team knew about that cause IIRC that plot point came after the movie came out.
All Might somehow helps Deku get it back at the end.

Deku giving/sharing OFA with Bakugou was actually Horikoshi's original plan for the ending IIRC as per an interview for the second movie.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think this is pretty cool actually. I'm more invested in this than in another big fight going on at the moment.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I figured this was a given for literal years since the insanely conspicuous page in Shigaraki's original flashback when he fought Redestro showing the mysterious suit/hat guy bringing him home one day. Can't say I like the twist but eh, it kind of works either way even if I'd have preferred Shiggy being a mutant like Eri since I think that works much better with the narrative. Eri's power could've easily turned her into a psychologically hosed up villain, but she wanted to be saved and was. Shiggy wanted to be saved, but he wasn't. Saving people's lives vs saving people's hearts, etc etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think the thematic issues are basically covered by Tenko admitting that even if he let go of his hatred he still wants to be a "hero" for the "villains" (hilarious that Magne wasn't there though).

Even if AFO engineered him getting Decay and that caused all the horrible poo poo that happened to him, it still happened. I'm not sure what acknowledging AFO's presence here adds because Tenko is still Tenko and he still had a hosed up life; vanquishing AFO yet again brings us back around to Tenko still wanting to be a hero to HIS friends. I'll consider this something of a failure if the end is just "uhhh yeah the league all died so we don't have to think about what would happen to them afterward" or "they're thrown into a ultramax but they kinda feel bad about what they did now so they're cool with it". I can't imagine Horikoshi not at least signaling in the ending that the world changed in the way that ordinary people wouldn't let someone like Tenko suffer on their own again, but who knows.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The spoilers are mostly foreshadowed like a lot of other stuff. I was wondering when some stuff would get a callback.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

stuker posted:

some kid like deku watching his hero get his arms destroyed while also not doing anything to what the audience sees as the apocalypse is just the tenko 2.0 origin
We've already seen people in the background who were cheering for Shigaraki.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
At lot of this makes sense and was foreshadowed forever ago but the thing that makes it annoying is that it's turned up to 11 when the basics would've been fine. AFO giving Tenko decay, where he got decay from, and basically letting nature take its course would make sense. He also had a bunch of potential replacements on hand in his orphanages like Dabi and Overhaul. Him trying to manufacture an heir and finding it in the one that'd torture his biggest enemy the most would be perfectly fine but having 90% of it be AFO's doing is lame?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's kind of funny how little effort it would take to do these same twists but make it work better.

Have AFO have nothing to do with Kotaro- just frame it as AFO finding out one of his shell companies employs Nana's kid and him thinking it'd be loving hilarious to get a successor out of him. He thinks about doing his plan with the girl, but decides against it when Kotaro mentions he has another kid on the way. He steals Tenko's quirk, gives him decay, and just lets nature do its work. Have AFO sell it as "Hey, I know hero society is a hosed up wreck underneath. I didn't have to do anything but give you a dangerous quirk. I knew your dad was bitter about his mom, all kids want to be heroes because of hero society, the arguments would always start around when you started to get your quirk, I knew Decay would probably manifest with you killing someone in your family, and I know society is rotten and wouldn't help you. I just set the pins up, but your beliefs about what knocked them all down was correct." Reemphasize that AFO had a lot of irons in the fire as far as manufacturing someone hosed up enough to be his successor, but Tenko worked out beautifully.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 6, 2024

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-419/chapter/42402?action=read

Garaki: Okay now that we've implanted a shittier version of Overhaul into the kid, do you want to get the real version, Master? It's literally the strongest quirk we've ever seen.

All For One: Not right at this moment. But I'm sure we'll get around to it sometime in the next 2 decades.

The actual question here is that why didn't he have kid overhaul fix him after All Might punched his head off? I mean, I guess it could've turned out the same- Overhaul can only work with the materials that it has so if you're too hosed up it probably can't get you to 100%. Or maybe that's how Garaki fixed him. Or Overhaul was adopted before AFO/Garaki needed it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Couldn't Overhaul theoretically just whack some other person with a desirable body and use their pieces to recreate AFO as ideally as possible?
They never really went into what Overhaul can do with multiple people. He can combine people with himself but that was implied to be permanent and the only reason his fusion was undone was because Eri rewound it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

Probably a combination of AFO not trusting Overhaul like he would Dr. Garaki, and AFO not wanting to bother with learning how to use Overhaul's Overhaul (similar to Best Jeanist's Fiber Master).
Overhaul being really hard to use would make sense, but this is one of those things where you kinda want to just you know- say that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
AFO being an instant gratification guy when it comes to quirks is fitting (he takes, uses, and discards them like trash) but is another thing you'd kinda want to spell out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

He's the opposite of instant gratification everywhere else! We are seeing the culmination of decades long schemes right now! Why would this in particular be one too many plates to have spinning?
Well he can be for long ridiculous plans but also consider quirks toys that he can take, use, and discard as he sees fit- but that's something you might want to characterize first to explain his behavior!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The slugfest between Shigaraki and everyone on the floating UA building went on way too long. Everything else was pretty alright IMO. I liked armored All Might vs AFO a lot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

Season 1 has terrible pacing. It was the natural ending point, but it's 9 episodes of content stretched out to a full cour.
Season 1 was in production before the first volume went to the printers IIRC

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dr Stone's back half was pretty good if a bit too fast, but the actual ending and big reveal was pretty stupid.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You know, I really hate that Recovery Girl tells Deku outright that she's not going to heal him anymore if he's going to continue being reckless with his arms, and instead of learning a lesson, Deku winds up meeting Eri purely so he can keep getting healed despite his recklessness.
Presumably this is the last time since Eri broke her horn off to do it. Not that I think he'll lose his arms.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think the "Killing yourself is bad" thing is still present given that the the idea mentioned a few times is that Deku doesn't give you the "Oh he's gonna take care of it" feeling that All Might did, but rather that he makes everyone want to help.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense plot-wise, because it does.

I'm saying that "don't be reckless" is something the manga has given a poo poo about for a long time. The manga made a couple of hand waves at "hey deku maybe you shouldn't blow your arms up when you fight, it's not good" and then proceeded to put him and every other hero character in an endless series of scenarios where they blow their bodies to smithereens on a semi-constant basis for the rest of the manga.
He has been generally trying to protect his body- particularly using Fa-jin and blackwhip to fake 100%+ instead of just exploding himself.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bullets seems to be at either end of the lethality spectrum in anime/manga.

They either basically do nothing, or being shot anywhere by a bullet of any caliber makes you fatally bleed out in 2 minutes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing with Shigaraki and Spinner is that Shigaraki was trying to say he went down trying to destroy the world that made Spinner so miserable. The whole idea behind most of the mainstay League members was that they wanted to tear down the world/status quo that created them, and Spinner was probably the biggest proponent of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ywach hasn't really been outdone as a bad villain IMO. Madara is really bad because he's in an arc that is basically 1/3rd of the entire manga and they have a big gamemaster anthony party for like 30000 characters being brought back from the dead, including ones that were only passingly mentioned and never actually seen- then he was subsumed by Kaguya- it's essentially the whole of it all that kinda sucks where Madara at least has some good moments individually.