Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

jwang posted:

This is what One-Punch Man would be like if Saitama was a more charismatic person and is capable of passing on his superhuman abilities. And no, the 100 push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, and 10 km runs aren't what really made him the juggernaut he is.

I was really excited about potentially reading this one day and you just... you just ruined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Mirage posted:

Nah, they'll save the timeskip for #100, when, oh, let's say Todoroki from ten years in the future falls through a warp back to our time with dire predictions about a dystopian World Without Peace.

Bakugo's son from the future with one constantly exploding eyeball and a robot arm shows up on a mission to kill Deku in order to save the future except it's actually a clone of Bakugo that was created to kill Deku to prevent All for One from eating his power and conquering the world

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kinda get the feeling Bakugo might be grossed out at the notion of following in someone's footsteps/inheriting their power, but then Deku points out that he doesn't care because he wants to be a hero to be a hero and not out of personal ambition or ego satiation, and in the end they agree to disagree with Bakugo saying he's not going to get outdone by a lovely nerd with hand me down powers.4

That assumes that he's figured it out, though

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, Bakugo is confirmed not to be Sasuke because he's capable of feeling guilt

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Did they ever mention Fatgum absorbing energy before? I figured he was more of a Blob, less of a Bishop

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think it depends on what the original was, because if it was some made up bullshit then a made up bullshit translation is appropriate

If it's just archaic, though, or a less-used word then they they dumb

I like adjudicator

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The way Overhaul's quirk is drawn this week reminds me of alchemy from FMA, which is terrifying in the context of someone who is the only person with that power, who is a murderous criminal, who uses it on humans without hesitation.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am all for permanence, but holy poo poo, Marvel is insufferable right now.

Nazi!Cap should have been an Elseworlds-type deal, like Red Son.

It ultimately was, more or less, which is part of why it's so stupid. All that smoke and mirrors for the illusion of REAL STAKES (TM), EVERYTHING YOU KNEW IS WRONG ©, except not really it was super predictable and basically what everyone had it pegged for from day one

I'm really interested in seeing what Mirio does now. I kind of think he'll get his Quirk because because I don't know if Deku has enough confidence in himself to definitively say "Nah, this guy shouldn't have One For All."

That or he becomes a quirkless hero. I have to wonder, are there no 100% tech based heroes in this world? I know technological progress is a bit jacked up because of the chaotic period before superpowered society settled down, but you'd figure if they could build jails that can hold people with a variety of quirks, there'd be enough gadgets and gizmos that someone could be out there Batmanning it up, instead of Knuckleduster going around and Slam Bradleying two bit goons

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Cat Machine posted:

Maybe they should?

Frieza, Dio Brando and Hisoka have teamed up to steal the One For All Piece and it's up to the Weekly Shonen Jump crew to stop the destruction of the universe!!! Make sure you read Dr. Stone #31 before Boruto #29 to fully appreciate what's going on!!

I played that game

It was okay. Not as good as Smash Bros.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Hate-Senpai posted:

Or maybe they'll just use an anti-quirk bullet on Overhaul himself.

Poetic justice.

I want Deku to punch it into him

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

PMush Perfect posted:

The whole industry kind of feels like it's dancing on the edge of a bubble. Everyone in the business has to work halfway to death in order to keep up, the average population is getting older, and of the young people that do exist, more and more of them are also getting exposed to foreign comics/etc. It seems like it's only a matter of time before something gives.

I kinda feel the opposite. I mean to be sure, there might not be as many/any Dragonball/One Piece class "cultural masterworks" on the horizon but the amount of, and healthiness (at least if the level they get promoted and talked about are any indicator) of online manga seems to indicate the business is expanding, even if the heights aren't quite as high for everyone. Self published stuff is included with that, along with stuff that gets thrown up on Pixiv and becomes part of... whatever their whole publishing thing is.

That will kinda act as a backdoor in terms of decreasing the expectations in terms of worktime, I think. When you make your own schedule you're (hopefully) sensible enough to make it something that's more livable, especially when you cut out however much extra time having to spend sending something to an editor and getting it published in a magazine

Plus, while weekly comics might still be the gold standard, other options are more viable than ever. I'm sure you risk a bit by not having that "HOT OFF THE PRESSES EVERY WEEK" presence in people's minds... maybe it's worth it, if your life in general is better.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

OldTennisCourt posted:

It'd be great if they just had him say that poo poo near a teacher and they react appropriately IE he gets expelled instantly and he never shows up again

It kinda amuses me whenever anyone says this kind of thing, because that kind of treatment would be telling society's less savory elements "Here is a human grenade launcher/artillery cannon, please use him to commit crimes"

The tolerance that the adults in MHA have for Bakugo is because you don't let a one-man bombing spree out of your sight. And they are constantly breathing down his neck, even though he's a top performer, because of his rage boner. It's also worth noting that Deku is the only one we see really suffer because of Bakugo's attitude (everyone else just dismisses him as a pissed off weirdo, like shonen manga Yosimite Sam) and that's only because of their weird personal relationship.

in a less interesting story, Bakugo would just be a Malfoy-esque "gifted prodigy who gets shown up by the hard working underdog" character. Instead he's the crazily driven ambitious guy who's deeply threatened/angry when the guy he wrote off as doomed for obscurity is blessed with the kind of good luck that only happens to protagonists in fictional stories.

he's pretty good

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I rank the translations

Hypothetical translation handled by me in my everlasting greatness>Viz>Mangastream>Funimation>Everyone else'

TL note: i haven't read anyone other than the official and MS versions

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really liked that chapter. I really like the cycle of inspiration that seems to fuel this story, in this world full of superheroes.

What a good comic.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm kind of wondering when/if we're going to see more friction between the powers that be and class 1A. Even if All Might commanded Superman (err, the good one)-esque love and respect from the general populace, it's easy to imagine a few Sam Lanes in the military/police who are already resentful about how heroes have come to command so much notoriety and respect in superhuman society.

Someone like Eri, who you can't just lock up but definitely can't let run free, would be a perfect chance to introduce a character like that.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like that one of the previous One-For-All users was Jack from Madworld

Man, that was probably a violent little stretch of history

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

SgtSteel91 posted:

Actually it raises a question if all of the previous users were Quirkless as well, or if they had a Quirk before getting OfA

Isn't One For All's nature a quirk that "stocks" other quirks? That combined with brotherman's quirk to "pass quirks on"

If anything All Might's powers being as "simple" as Hulk-level physical abilities seems to me like it might just be how he interpreted it's use, rather than the nature of OFA itself.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm betting this All For One influencing One For All through somekind of psychic shenannigans, and hopefully Deku's next power up will come after some sort of cool trippy mindscape battle

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That's Jack Cayman!

If Funimation knows what they're doing, they'll try and get Steve Blum to do his dub voice

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Kild posted:

hey its the joker

in the guise of a successful businessman who seems to have a manufacturing operation, with a dark secret and a hair trigger for murder

in other words

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder how Toga's quirk works with healing. Considering she has to reform her whole physiology when she uses her powers, you gotta figure she can put herself back together a little more quickly than usual, right? Or maybe she can shape-shift into an uninjured form but the second she reverts back, she's still hurt

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
In Tenko's case it could just be a situation where he never had the chance for his Quirk to ripple through a packed group of people before, or if he did, maybe he didn't remember it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Boy it's gonna kind of a drag to go back to milquetoast Deku and his nerd crew when this arc is over

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Probably Magic posted:

This is a pretty dark chapter, and a discretion cut away from the entire flashback might've been more subtle storytelling, but for a series that my main gripe with has been embracing a "there are good guys and bad guys," with only occasional commentary in-between like Endeavor and Stain, it's nice to say, "No, there really isn't that much difference between Deku and a bad person if it comes down to luck of a draw." Though I hope the series doesn't just decide Shigaraki overflowing resentment justifies whatever punishment he gets from the heroes in the end and there's actually some reckoning with the societal flaws that dispossessed him.

Can you really call an abusive parent and the family that shrugged and let it happen "societal flaws"? Maybe his dad is lovely because All Might's teacher abandoned him, but she could've just as easily abandoned him for her for any other career, or any other number of reasons

I don't see Shigaraki being like Toga or Todoroki. The underpinnings of his issues aren't unique to superhuman society. That's probably part of the reason he's set up as Deku's nemesis--much like All For One, any gestures he makes at societal criticism and philosophy are just posturing. The difference is that AfO wanted domination, and Shigaraki just wants to smash everything that gets on his nerves.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Death Bot posted:

This situation is unique because it's fallout from a previous generation of All Might having such a responsibility to society as well as an incredible level of celebrity because of it. It's a midpoint between the standard superhero Can't Have Attachments deal and overwork as generational abuse.

I just hope that gets explored in a way that's more interesting than "look how evil this guy" is and it looks good so far tbh

I definitely think one of the big themes for MHA is going to re-aligning superhuman society to be a little less idolatrous of individual heroes; we've already seen how lovely the public can be and have plenty of good examples of the damage that the current status quo seems to cause

I just think Mr. Handsy himself is going to be 100% about tearing society down, in any form it takes, over building anything that works. Todoroki, Bakugo can do the redemption thing because their goals are noble even if they're going about them the wrong way. Toga, Twice, and knife lizard can maybe do the redemption thing if they can find the kind of acceptance they didn't get before. I could even see capital S shitbirds like Endeavor and Stain realizing that maybe they've been being assholes, if they can get some clarity.

Shigaraki though, isn't going to be satisfied no matter what. He's gotta tear it all down, no matter what "it" is. That's his drive. If he ever had a yearning for anything else, AFO probably brainwashed it out of him.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 19, 2019

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kinda saw where this chapter was going, and what I would maybe like to see is Deku interacting with Hawks, who is very... VERY un-All Might like, but is doing some hard nuts and bolts hero poo poo that isn't quite as simple as cut and dry as "show up and punch the bad guy" and "smile at the crowds"

I also hope Tokyoyami gets to keep his sword

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Endeavor is pretty decent at teaching, kinda makes you wonder why he had to resort to all the abuse and eugenics

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

MonsterEnvy posted:

As mentioned it's basically like naming the guy Dr Holocaust.

cough cough

Granted, Marvel changed that, too, eventually

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
why the hell are rabbits such a popular superhero motif with japan

is this all that moon rabbit's fault??

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kinda wish the translation had said that Mirko had "The proportional abilities of a rabbit" or maybe "Does whatever a rabbit can (but better)" but I can understand hedging your bets in an age of high powered Disney lawyers

In any case, I think she's my new favorite non-student hero. She and Tokoyami should form a duo called "Rabbit Hazard"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really like Bubaigawara and I hope he makes it out of all this without dying or turning up into a psychically devestated guy in jail crying sincere tears for his horrible, murderous friends

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I may have missed this, but how does Eraserhead's quirk work on people (well, Noumu) with multiple quirks? Does it shut them all down?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
When you decide to do superhero Hogwarts, you can either focus on Harry and his friends or try and turn the entire class into something resembling actual characters

I don't bedgrudge the tertiary members of 1-A their screentime (except Mineta) but I do have my doubts if the approach present in the manga is optimal. That being said, I'm not drawing it, and it's still pretty good, so y'know whatever!

also is toga supposed to have Joker-esque "No real training of remarkable physicality, but can somehow shiv just about anybody" powers?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

grieving for Gandalf posted:

boy that's gonna make me mad when it definitely happens

I kind of have to wonder if Shigaraki has been characterized too much to die at this point. Villain redemption is such a thing in battle manga, especially for popular villains, especially for popular villains with tragic backstories, I have a hard time picturing him getting killed, especially considering that this is a superhero comic, and fuckin nobody stays dead in those except supporting cast

I have too easy of a time picturing his last appearance being locked up (either in AFO style super security or after being Dequirked in a regular prison) and then Deku saying "I want to save you, too" before walking away

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Onmi posted:

Everything in Shigaraki's backstory has set up to explain that this is Shigaraki's own feelings and choice. While AFO may have stoked it, it was Shigaraki who made the decision to murder people and feel good doing it. The entire thing in the landscape of hands was him rejecting any notion of not being evil, dusting the remnants of his past, and embracing evil.

And people STILL think "he's gonna get redeemed"

You're 100% correct, except he doesn't necessarily need to be redeemed to survive. Just neutralized as a threat.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There have been a lot of comics that have toyed with "What if superheroes became pretty drat common and integrated into society like a normal thing" but at this point I honestly think I like this one better than like, Kingdom Come, or the Just, or the Legion of Superheroes

Julias posted:

Given the mangaka has said that the story is approaching a conclusion sooner than you might expect, that's a pretty bold claim.

Authors say this kinda thing all the time and it tends to only be true one in every three occasions. Plus, there's every likelihood that the story goes from being My Hero Acadamia to My Hero Journey or something

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, this family keeps getting more messed up

also baby Todoroki is hilarious looking

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

The only thing I don't like is that it assumes any sort of responsibility lies with Fuyumi or Natsuo- but that's traditional Japanese face-saving poo poo for you. lol they were literally children, not your loving therapists Rei/Enji

I don't think that their feeling responsible is an impartial third party judgement call on their level of blame. It just shows they have an internal motivation for wanting to help, instead of wanting to run screaming for the hills and change their names and go into witness protection, which they're both well within their rights to do.

It wouldn't be a comic about superheroes if there wasn't a healthy dose of questionably rational self-sacrifice to spread around.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

christmas boots posted:

“You overdid it”

“I know”

“Didn’t I say this could happen?”

“I know

“You really need to be more careful”

“I KNOW!”

Deku McGinnis and his seven ghost Bruce Waynes+one living Clark Kent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I personally think it'd be hilarious if Stain was the one who got Deku back on the less-self-destructive path, somehow. I'm not sure how he would do it. maybe the idea of a lunatic like Stain idolizing him might be enough for him to step back and re-assess?