Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Wow, this is really good. At first I was turned off by it turning out not to be "normal kid batmans his way through Hero School" but this is just as good. He earns his power and even once he gets it, it has serious drawbacks that he has to work through. Plus as this latest chapter shows--he's no pushover without his power. I'm looking forward to a nice mix of overpowered and powerless solutions to Deku's problems.

Covok posted:

Oh, awesome, there is a topic for this.

This comic really has some potential. I know it's been said before, but it's got some serious chances to be a big contender.

I'm sort of mixed on the main character's costume, the big smile throws it off me. Everyone else's costume is great.

I love the fact he used a mix of his normal strength and time spent observing heroes to fight Katsuki. There is just something endearing about beating a villain with your guts and wits and not your powers.

I'm thinking that maybe this one will get wrecked in the fight and he'll get a similar, but new one after. It's half-blasted already.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

HiveCommander posted:

Considering her quirk, I feel Uraraka really should've requested heavy-duty armour.

That's actually a pretty good idea, with an emphasis on the heavy. She can just make it weightless. Though I'm wondering about the details on her drawback: does she get nausea because of overuse (number/mass of objects affected), duration of use, or because she makes herself weightless and that just makes her barfy. Depending on what it is, heavy armor might or might not be practical.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rodyle posted:

Boy do I have a cancelled series that you should read!

Also this manga's great. I'm not really up on Western artists, can anyone tell me where All Might's true form might be coming from? It reminds me of something but I'm not sure what.

I get kind of a Jhonen Vasquez vibe, but maybe that's just me.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Having let Hero Academia sink in for a day, two things came out at me:

All Might's name makes a lot more sense when you consider his power. I'd initially chalked it up to your run-of-the-mill odd use of English. But it's really a good representation of his power--the combined might of who knows how many people--and of course the word almighty. All For One Might, you might say. Dunno, thought it was neat.

Also, I realized that Deku's costume isn't just meant to refer to All Might--with that smile and his build, he looks a lot more like All Might's true form than anything else. Except maybe a demented rabbit or a flea. Silly that I didn't think of it sooner.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kyte posted:

Despite his sheer jackassery I kind of like him. He's become an rear end in a top hat because his environment and ability affirmed the typical kid egocentrism to unhealthy levels.

Plus it'll make it all the greater when he gets the snot beaten out of him.
Multiple times, probably, he looks like the stubborn sort.

I was thinking when reading it Holy poo poo, this is potentially the worstest generation.

Other things I like about this chapter/mini-arc: The nuke is the not-Taepodong missile.

Also, Iida:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's going to be a shame when this series inevitably devolves into tournament arcs and stuff but if the cast can remain as consistently entertaining, it won't even bug me.

The way I see this going wrong is if we start getting hit with SERIOUS PLOT. So keep an eye out for that, I guess.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wonder of Bakugou's sweat is flammable.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dan7el posted:

I admit I had to look up the word "apodictic" for this chapter. I don't know what the original Japanese was for that sentence, but it had to be a dozy. I wonder how the translator worked that.

I wondered if hand-guy's name might be "Migi" but if you look at the hands, there are both left and right hands on his body. Are the holes for breaking? It really does look like a nose.

All the villains look pretty creepy except for the girl in the front who looks like she has dreadlocks. I guess dreadlocks might be considered creepy by some folks, though....

Whatever his name is, to me he will always be the Handyman.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well, they did say you could take WHATEVER you wanted into the qualifier with you. Maybe she's handy with traps.

EDIT: Or, no one noticed that she didn't pass and she just appeared in homeroom.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Roland Jones posted:

Something I realized earlier, but Uraraka idolizing No. 13 may have been foreshadowed in her costume; it looks pretty space-y, like a futuristic space suit or something from a sci-fi anime, and 13 is, well, an astronaut. Between his personality and them both having sort of space-y powers as well (zero gravity and black holes respectively), her looking up to him really makes sense, too.

Also, man. I love hands dude's design; he's really super creepy. While the hands on his face are the most notable, the ones all over the rest of him are interesting too; the ones on his arms are in positions suggesting someone grabbing him or him having his arms folded, and the ones on his shoulders amusingly look almost like they're giving him a massage. And then there's the ones on his neck, which almost appear to be strangling him and push the creepy up another few notches. I really wonder what his deal is; given that he seems to be the leader of these guys (he's always the one talking and gets the most focus, and is the one who gets the weird, unique font) and is implied to have been the one to have destroyed the gate, he must have a serious quirk beyond just having a lot of hands.

Both 13 and Uraraka have quirks that are great for rescuing people :)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kortel posted:

Each hand is a quirk user's hand maybe?

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sindai posted:

Do we know what the vice-presidents quirk is yet? Looks like she can form stuff out of her body, or store stuff in it.

It looks like she produces weapons from her body.

These next few bits are looking to be cool; we're gonna get to see everyone's powers on display. In particular, I'm wondering what is up with the girl with the arms coming out of her ears.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ugh. These scanlators have spoiled me. I need more My Hero Academia.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Another thing with regards to powers: I think another factor is reliability. Deku's father's power was described as "breathing fire sometimes". I wouldn't be surprised if some just have powers they can't really use! Like the guy with the belly button laser; he can only use it for a short time, but that drawback is tempered by being extremely potent. I bet a lot of people's powers have such big drawbacks that they end up being largely cosmetic.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DrSunshine posted:

Things I really loved about this chapter:

3) Mr. Cement teaching Japanese Lit.

His specialty is concrete poetry.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Terper posted:

Training in-between arcs? No time for that, put that on half a page and let's roll!

I love headjack girl's training. Pretty sure she's lifting weights with her ear things.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

pandaK posted:

And that's how it ends: not with a bang, but because it can no longer be passed down through his hair.

It's not just hair. It can be...any genetic material :barf:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AtomikKrab posted:

I believe the method of power transfer is ingestion only. So he can still get it on with the ladies... just not that one way.

Also, pretty sure it can't happen accidentally. It seems like there was some time that he needed to prepare for the transfer.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

RatHat posted:

^^^ The raw for 25 came out a few days ago but other than that we're caught up.

Now that you mention it, Eraserhead could probably wreck All Might since his power is a transformation/strength enhance. Unless there's some limit to how much "power" he can erase or something.

That's a yes but situation. Assuming he can erase All Might's powers, keep in mind that his powers are utterly ridiculous. Eraserhead has to blink every so often and All Might is insanely fast. He would have one chance--a single blink and Eraserhead loses.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Meme Emulator posted:

I realize shes supposed to be exhausted/dissapointed but Uraraka looks like a stumbling drunk instead

I think that's a side effect of using her power too much. She is very dizzy right now.

Also, I have a feeling that Deku is going to have to use his powers next round. Pretty eager to see who is going to group up with him. His buds or maybe some surprise team-up?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Countblanc posted:

Other teams have quirks too though. Sero could just launch tape ribbons at them to pull them down, Bakugou could basically have his team rocket jump after them, Tsuyu obviously has her tongue, etc. I'm sure the gravity thing will be useful, but I can't fathom it being gamebreaking, even before you calculate in the "this has to be interesting as a story and not just an accurate portrayal of how it would work" factor.

Also I liked the translator's attempts at localized names after the chapter, it was cute

But I'm thinking that hawkboy's shadow is going to give them amazing mobility. And if that jetpack actually works, they could still be one of the most moble teams out there, which appears to be Deku's goal.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Serious Frolicking posted:

This event is all about groups and physical contact. Mineta has the potential to be the mvp this round, assuming someone with half a brain tells him to do something other than hide and leer at girls. He can glue his horse, freeing up arms and making the rider secure. He can glue clashing groups together, making them vulnerable to a third party. The sky's the limit, really. poo poo, messing with headbands is the absolute least he can do.

I forget, though. Exactly what was the tentacle dude's quirk again?

His quirk is...weird. Sort of a shape shifter. He can grow more mouths, eyes, ears, etc, and more importantly arms, which makes him pretty strong. Also, octopus-like. I'm guessing his power works sort of like if Nico Robin's DF power only worked on herself.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ultra Academia maybe.

The mantra of their curriculum is PLUS ULTRA after all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It looks like Todoroki was startled at the end there--he said he wouldn't use fire after all. It must be reflex.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, she's pretty devastating in a solo fight if she has prep time. Unfortunately for her, that's not a on option in this format and matchup.

Narratively, it makes sense for Bakugou to win. That places him against the closest thing he has to a friend, Kirishima, and gives Deku a clear run of fights against important rivals - Todoroki, then Iida, then Bakugou. Uraraka managing to take him down would be pretty rad, though, and it'd be hilarious to see Bakugou trying to adjust to cheering on Kirishima from the sidelines.

Kirishma v Bakuguo could be an amazing fight. Also, potentially character-building for him, as he's kind of a friend, as you mentioned, and also--how effective would his blasts even be? He would have to implement some actual strategy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

On an unrelated note, there sure were some One Punch Man faces in this chapter. Crossover in 3... 2...

I loved the face Uraraka made when Deku told her he's been taking notes on everybody. This whole time. Including her.

And it completely goes over his head why someone might find that a bit unsettling.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's the whole joke to her character - she has to get completely naked to be completely invisible. During every event so far in the comic the guys around her comment in a panel here or there how "hot" or uncomfortable it is to have her be wandering around with nothing on even if they can't see her. Especially during the cavalry part.

"At least we got her to wear pants."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
All-Might's power is looking buff. He described it when he showed up the first time. He said it was something like when a guy puffs up his chest to look more fit at the beach, but more convincing. One For All just gave him actual strength on top of that.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ If that's the case, why is he forced to transform back when he runs out of his One for All power? It seems like his muscular form is pretty clearly tied with his use of One for All.

I have absolutely no clue how this next fight is going to work. So far we've only seen Midoriya use his power once without destroying himself, and that was just to cause some wind to push Todoroki's arm out of the way. I can't think of how he's going to prevent Todoroki from just encasing him in ice like in Todoroki's first match. If he uses his power to bust out of the ice and it destroys him like we've seen in the past, that means the fight's over (which I doubt will happen), but if he uses it to bust out and is still okay it will basically mean that Midoriya is suddenly a huge badass.

I'm guessing he'll use his super strength/speed in some unique/gimmicky sort of way that causes a problem for Todoroki. I doubt that he'll suddenly be able to freely use the power in this next fight, but it seems like he has to at least partially overcome it in order to have a fight at all.

edit: If I had to guess, I think Midoriya will probably lose. Can't explain exactly why, but it just doesn't seem like it's where the narrative is headed.

I'm thinking that he will use it indirectly, with wind blasts. For one, he's less likely to turn Todoroki to pudding. For another, it's probably the best way to handle him since you don't want to touch a guy with crazy-strong ice (and fire) powers.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Quincytbb posted:

That's different, Ash isn't allowed to win anything because that means that he would have finally achieved his dream and no longer has to be a forever preteen Sisyphus always getting so close to the top of the hill but having to start over again and again every time a new game comes out.

He won in the Orange League, though. I think.

Not that anyone gives a poo poo about that.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
My favorite panel was Deku's mom, sitting in a pile of tissues :3:

I wonder if he's tried super-breath, or if he's too afraid of destroying his rib cage. I know that I would at least want the nurse on hand before I tried.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oda is the best :3:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kyte posted:

The face of pure satisfaction.

MY HAIR IS FULLY ERECT!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Protodude posted:

The best part of the chapter was the awkward silence after Fire Dad's public outburst about his son.

I would not be surprised if Fire Dad's family situation is an open secret that the Announcer is just oblivious to (like so many things).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

tsob posted:

Calling it seedy seems a little unfair since, to most of the population of the manga, being a hero is literally just another job. A more vital one than many perhaps, but not the calling it is in many other stories and Deku. And they have families and bills and poo poo to take care of, and want to have nice things like anyone else. Most cops, firemen, doctors etc would do advertising if given the chance, just to help pay the bills and poo poo.

I hadn't even noticed any of the adverts before, but thought Midnight selling perfume was fun and yea, I hope we get a bit more insight in to that side of things later on in the manga, since it's not a subject most hero stories ever touch on.

Also, we can now see that she is indeed wearing pinkish tights and is not naked :cheeky:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just a heads-up in case you guys didn't know, but I'm pretty sure you all already do, Kissmanga offers a much better reading experience by loading all the pages at once and letting you scroll down through them: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-042--And-Now--The-Finals?id=229066

(Maybe a little less revenue-generating because doesn't load as many pages/ads, but it's a better experience)

I actually prefer to go page-by-page. It feels like a more authentic reading experience.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Terper posted:

Ahahaha oh wow I didn't notice Uraraka's mom literally pushing Uraraka's eyes back into their sockets.

In any other comic, I'd write it off as just a cute, cartoonish touch...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hopeford posted:

What's special about Bakugou's anger is that it just doesn't loving wear off. Like he's not just angry for a minute, he's angry for a long loving time with zero breaks, it's amazing :allears:

Also love that his mom is yelling at him not to yell. Their neighbors must seriously hate them.

I imagine that all their neighbors either moved away or had their houses heavily soundproofed after Bakugou's powers came in.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

chumbler posted:

I like to believe her original costume request was a xenomorph-based costume.

"Wait, 20th Century Fox put a DMCA takedown on my costume? Can they even do that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
She just needs to train to raise her zero limit. The max amount of stuff she can make weightless doesn't have a name, so that's what I'm calling it.