Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I admit I had to look up the word "apodictic" for this chapter. I don't know what the original Japanese was for that sentence, but it had to be a dozy. I wonder how the translator worked that.

I wondered if hand-guy's name might be "Migi" but if you look at the hands, there are both left and right hands on his body. Are the holes for breaking? It really does look like a nose.

All the villains look pretty creepy except for the girl in the front who looks like she has dreadlocks. I guess dreadlocks might be considered creepy by some folks, though....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Midoriya should do boxing or something in the sports festival and just accept the inevitable casualties as he learns to control his quirk.
I'm happy to see Midoriya moving forward. If the entire manga was about him not being able to control his superpower and always just barely scraping by for each incident, I'd be pretty drat disappointed. If we have a period of time where he needs to adjust, which is apparently what's happening and he eventually gains full control over his powers and is able to use them like All Might, then that would be terrific.

I wonder if he'll look completely different like All Might does? Seems kind of odd that he's enrolled in the school as himself but if he follows All Might's ways, he'll eventually probably look different when fully powered....

Maybe that's what happened to All Might? Seems a lot of folks know about All Might's secret as it is. Maybe Midoriya's entire class will eventually be in on the New All Might secret. Who knows, maybe Midoriya will look exactly like All Might and be called All Might? We'll just have a new boy doing the job.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The thought just occurred to me this morning, and I'm not sure if we've ever discussed something like this either: I think the idea of a Villain Academy would be interesting.

They could be rivals (i.e. VA Tech is Hero Academy and UVA is the Villain Academy) and such. Plus, if you're the ice/fire guy and you freeze/burn someone to death, you get booted from the Hero Academy and possibly picked up and enrolled in the Villain Academy. It would, naturally, be a dark and mysterious place. No one would know where it is, actually.

I think Todoroki Midoriya using his noggin to work through the obstacle course is interesting and all, but I'll say it again. I really want him to come into his super power soon. I'm hoping we're in the preliminary part of the story. Sort of like how in Hunter x Hunter, Gon spends the first so-many chapters taking the Hunter exam. (spoilering in case someone hasn't read/seen the manga/anime) We learn about Gon but the whole experience isn't Gon struggling to become a Hunter. He does. The rest of the story is far better, in my opinion, and interesting after this event.

e: corrected name

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 1, 2015

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Inflammatory posted:

it could also be that his fire powers are just super dangerous to use, especially in a crowded arena like what they're in.
For no particular reason, I suspect this is the case.

... well, okay. The reason is that I got the impression, and it could just be the way the wording was translated, that he wouldn't use his fire powers because they were just too darned powerful to use in pleasant company.

It could be daddy issues, but that's a bit too much of a cliché for what I'm hoping out of this manga.

The best answer would be he's a pyrophobe. Could be related to his burn scar or not. Better answer would be not.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think the author's intent was to make this revelation both a surprise to Deku and the audience at the same time. Unfortunately, he did a really bad job foreshadowing the issue. All he had to do was somehow add a little bit to the story at some time in the past. This is unfortunate because the author has done a really good job with the story so far, and now it appears to be a deus ex machina. At least the name, One for All does do some foreshadowing, but who didn't think it meant that he was One Hero for All People instead of One Hero for All Past Heroes embodied in said hero? I suppose the whole way Deku got the power fits as well, though. So, what happened isn't entirely and completely unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I keep wondering if Deku is going to end up like Shizuo Heiwajima from Durarara -- essentially breaking every bone at every location on his body, healing stronger, and being able to deal with the excessive force his quirk places on his body.

So far, there is no indication that will happen, but I keep expecting it to hoping it to.