Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
"Taste of a man whose sparkles will never die" is an amazing description for a costume. Navel dude is still pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rodyle posted:

Boy do I have a cancelled series that you should read!

That just got me curious on what that guy's been up to ever since his Mirrors romcom ended/got canceled. Well, the good news he is doing something more action-focused again on Jump's online manga. The bad news is that it's even more fanservice-driven because it's online. Kinda like a fanservice version of Parasyte oddly enough.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's just arc escalation, where poo poo gets a little more real. For comparison's sake, it's sort of like how the Zabuza arc in Naruto, or the Captain Kuro/Baratie/Arlong arcs in One Piece suddenly raised the stakes.

EDIT: I don't want to comment too much about the raws, mostly because I don't fully understand it either, but it's easy to surmise what's happening. I'm excited to see it translated though.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 18, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm amused by the fact that Bakugou's entire analysis is all explosive other than his pants.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

JosephWongKS posted:

He's aiming be a hero so he'll avoid doing that kind of horrifying poo poo as much as he can.

I actually like that he got that moment to voice his thoughts, since my initial impression was that he was gonna be the kid who goes villain. Course, it could still happen but it's less sure now. In general, I actually like how that whole class has been introduced and developed even though most of the focus is on Deku.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Soylentbits posted:

Quite a few comics have been unjustly cancelled though.

Mx0!!!!

Mx0 was a pretty rad manga, but for whatever reason, the voters didn't care much for it so it never ranked highly, usually sitting on the bottom half of the rankings. I assume it didn't make enough volume sales either to justify keeping it so it got canceled.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair to Mx0 though, it was basically competing with Jump's all-star lineup for those years, with your usual big names One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Toriko, but also Eyeshield 21, Neuro, Psyren, Reborn, the return of Hunter x Hunter again, D.Gray-Man, Gintama, Prince of Tennis, To-Love-Ru, and Sket Dance. It only stands to reason it was never able to maintain a stable high ranking when it was competing against those big hitters. Though why nobody bought it, I have no idea.

What I'm curious about is what happened to Double Arts, which actually started off strong before it dropped off in popularity within months. I assume it just couldn't sell volumes, but it's just interesting how it just gradually drops down the rankings till it just ends.

My Hero Academia is ranking and selling well though, so it has a pretty strong lifeline for the time being, especially in the vacuum left by Naruto ending.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Since no one else linked it, the omake for Volume 1. I liked that Bakugou changed from standard shonen hero who ends up causing collateral damage by accident to full blown rear end in a top hat because the former is lame.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Goddamn I love this manga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
If you don't like it by Chapter 8 AKA Ferocity of a loving Nerd, then it's probably not for you.

EDIT: Basically the whole chapter 8-10 fight should give you an idea probably.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 11, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Roland Jones posted:

Hm, someone who's read the raws, can you tell us the Fallen Angels group compares to PowerManga's translations? The former certainly read more naturally, like they go through more effort to localize it, and generally "sound" better, but there are a few areas where the latter differs and seems more... Right? Like, in the latest translated chapter, the former has Iida saying his brother called him but was working, while the latter says he called his brother but his brother couldn't talk/answer because he's working; given what we see later in the chapter (Ingenium's phone had an incoming/missed call from Iida, I believe) and the general descriptions there I think PowerManga's version is the accurate one.

This isn't the only place things like that happen, either. While Fallen Angels seem like much better localizers and I prefer reading their translations, it seems like they make weird mistakes and mistranslations like that fairly frequently; sometimes it's minor stuff I won't notice until a second or third read of the chapter or when I check out the other translation out of curiosity, but there are also times I'll stare at the page on the first read through and go "...That doesn't seem right". Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this sort of thing?

The official translation is his brother called him, but he was working, so Fallen Angels got it right. Iida probably called his brother again after losing the match.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hero slayer has a pretty rad design.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Locked N' Loaded Gun Office sounds like a great place to work.

Also, I'm pretty excited for Gran Torino. That last page was pretty great.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 12, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xoidanor posted:

Your guy was wrong, japan's take on superheroes is One-Punch Man. :colbert:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fabricated posted:

Hope the series gets more chapters in before it gets an anime. If they get enough material to do a complete season worth of arcs with a cap on the end it will be fine in the hands of a good studio...

It'll probably get picked up by a bad studio though.

Jump usually waits for around 100 chapters before making an anime. There are a couple that were commissioned below that like the first Hunter x Hunter and Bakuman, but it'll usually be 2 years before we see an anime.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I forget what series I caught, but it was some artsy super serious thing about what it means to be human if you're a clone or some poo poo...and then some super short moe style character shows up and starts screeching and flipping her skirt up. Seeing stuff that tone deaf to the mood of the series is pretty jarring.

He's only done 3 series. None of them match your description.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I have never read a western childrens comic where a dude screamed about how his dick was hard while staring through a "shawshank rear end in a top hat" on his 15 year old classmates undressing while describing their bodies. That's why I was asking if it's a cultural thing.

They're called teen romcom movies you weirdo

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Huh, navel dude and Urakawa is an interesting team-up.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fabricated posted:

Oh yeah, the gag votes that were cast are awesome.

1 person voted for Naruto, 1 voted for Midoriya's shoe, and a apparently a decent # of people voted for Horikoshi himself and Zoo characters. :unsmith:

It will always amuse me how people will always vote for the author in polls. Though to be fair, the author does tend to interact with their readers through omake and other things like Oda does with his SBS's.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

I haven't read Fantastic Four in years, or anything more recent than my dad's old comics from the 60s, but when or how did Reed Richards turn into a scumbag?

He's not really a scumbag, he just makes really poor judgement calls from time to time, at least from what I recall. I haven't read the most recent series though where he hid a secret from his family and that obviously makes them upset with him. Every alternate universe version of him is always an rear end in a top hat though, so that just tells you how close Richard Reed-Prime is from going over the line.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Really really really poor judgement calls.

Civil War really was a terrible event all around though and derailed a lot of characters involved.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

They would be almost guaranteed to go the seasonal route. They don't really do constantly-long-running anime anymore.

Poor overlooked World Trigger.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Though thinking about it and checking up on it, it's basically Toei and Pierrot who basically want to keep shows in timeslots indefinitely. Other studios are more inclined or have to have the season split if they get a big shonen anime.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jose posted:

is this really getting a spin off because lol if its not all might as a kid that has insanely massive spoilers what can it even be about

it's probably just gonna be something similar to Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth, a comedy chibi spin-off

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Overlord K posted:

I'm worried about it getting one this early, honestly. It feels way too soon.

It's about the right time. Usually around 100 chapters for weekly manga is when anime start getting underway. MHA is starting a bit earlier than usual, but it'll probably be at 100 chapters by the time the anime airs.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Just as an aside, is there ever well done filler? Do production companies ever wind up pleasantly fleshing things out with their filler? Maybe I'm just bitter about how shamelessly Toei milks One Piece for money.

In general, they're unable to flesh things out with filler since it could step on the author's toes of whatever he may be planning, which is why filler arcs tend to be not great since they have to keep the characters as static as possible. One Piece actually ran into this issue twice with its filler, the first time when Zoro was able to cut steel easily, and then it became a big plot point of how Zoro was unable to do exactly that, and had his whole able to see the essence of things moment in Alabasta. The 2nd time was when Chopper ate like 3 rumble balls one after the other in Davy-back, and then it became a big plot point about how he should not do that.

Bleach is just a fun case of "Well, we can't insert any filler into this story arc in any natural way, so we're just gonna pause the story and make up our own thing." Since its filler arcs actually had endings, it's really easy to see why its filler ended up slightly better than its actual story.

Basically comedy filler is best filler, a la Dragonball driving school and Gintama filler.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The anime studio will be Bones. That could actually work out very well depending on who's working on it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Was Noragami's original s1 ending bad? It left the door open for a 2nd season anyways.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

aers posted:

It was Bones.

A rumor was posted on 2ch about ~2 weeks ago that Bones was doing this show, with Kenji Nagasaki directing and Umakoshi doing character designs. Take that as you will but that key visual art is definitely in line with Umakoshi's style. If its true that's pretty great staff for a series like this.

Huh, interesting director choice if true.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fabricated posted:

I tried to find a clip without retarded /a/speak but whatever

https://youtu.be/y1obeblHgiY?t=19

Yeah, I'd agree that Sucy's voice would be a good Tsuyu.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm guessing Summer or Fall.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kuroyama posted:

Manga-based adaptations have been moving away from the one complete run for the past few years. I think the only ones still doing it are Naruto and One Piece.

Poor forgotten World Trigger.

To be fair, it's not good enough to be that memorable but it always amuses me how it always falls under the radar. Though apparently the anime got renewed to become its own storyline so it doesn't fully count I guess.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

Like I said, I don't think there's really been a proper Big Three. I mean, Toriko was popular for a while, and I think AssClass was too, but I don't think anything's matched Naruto and Bleach's prime.

One Piece and Assassination Classroom are the big consistent ones. After that, it shuffles around the other various big series which include My Hero Academia. Black Clover's been getting a push as well since it fills in that battle niche, and it looks like it's been doing well for itself sales and ranking-wise, and I think Hinomaru Zumou got pushed too but I think its sales aren't as strong as MHA and BC. Straighten Up has also been doing pretty well, which is cool.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kuroyama posted:

[2]: Judgement based on about 2 minutes looking up Jump ToC's.

Heh, you basically hit it close to the mark. For a year or 2, I made a graph cause I was bored and genuinely curious how titles would oscillate. I haven't updated that graph in months, but I have an idea of how well series are doing now from eyeing it since there is a pattern to what gets dropped, and what's big. Series that get pushed also suddenly get a lot of color pages, which happened with MHA and Black Clover.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Terper posted:

I believe going by sales numbers in Japan, Seven Deadly Sins is the new biggest thing.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1373137

Yeah, but that's Weekly Shonen Magazine, same magazine as Fairy Tail and Hajime no Ippo.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'd say the WCW to Jump's WWF, but WCW doesn't exist anymore and I don't know what's up with wrestling nowadays.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DrSunshine posted:

Duuuude, this is awesome! I have got to read this one.

That was the only real good part of Initiative I liked. Most of the rest isn't good

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

That was pretty great.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

It will turn out that the only real crisis is just Yaoyorozu getting stuck.

The real crisis is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For anyone curious what the official release looks like, though it's still a mess of black.